Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 08:36   #5461
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I had 4 rabbits and 16 love birds in the early 90’s. Then raised a Goldie in the year 1994. I had it till 2008, then after he left for heavenly abode, I bought Pomeranian. It is with me currently and he is like my brother. His name is Scooby.

Relatives and friends term us as Scooby and Shaggy Rogers.

Slightly off topic:

I also take care of 14 stray dogs in my lane and adopted a lion at our local zoo.

Last edited by Sasanka_Sanga : 16th August 2020 at 08:38.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:46   #5462
BHPian

Flag hoisting ceremony
Jai Hind!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img5095.jpg  

pyrodrive is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:55   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
adopted a lion at our local zoo.
To me this is new especially in our Country. Would like to tell us more on it? I am sure like me, many here would be curious to know more details. I had been to a zoo near Daman & Diu which had an old Lion couple kept in a delporable condition. You are indeed doing a good deed
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 14:03   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys
Here's a request to folks in Mumbai. I rescued a kitten about a month+ ago as a small bag of bones crying out in the rains; just barely surviving.

He's now 2+ month old male kiddo that lives for cuddles in the lap, loves playing hide and seek and a joy to have around the house. Did I mention he abso-lu-tely loves human cuddles - favorite task of the day is to just curl up and forty winks!

He's litter trained, vaccinated and dewormed. And will be available for adoption with his litter box, his toys, and medical reports. Please pm me if you (or know someone who is) are interested.

I will be happy to transport him to any location across the city. Please share the word if you can, will help this kiddo get a loving family!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20200807wa0002.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20200807wa0001.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20200729wa0006.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20200724wa0009.jpg

P. S. No idea if this is against the forum rules. But I hope it isn't
ninjatalli is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 10:06   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It's mating season, and they are wailing to find a mate, and fighting among themselves to get the right to mate.

Leave it to themselves, and it should stop after a few weeks.

Or if you want to get involved, somehow catch them and get them sterilized - it would stop this behavior.
Thank you blackasta, NinjaTalli and RedLiner for your inputs!

Just wanted to update on who things have fared over past few days.
We did not interfere with the cats and let them be as they are. Both of them have themselves moved away from the locality. No more fights / cries! The area is back to it's usual calm with only sounds of birds chirping, sound of rain or the sound of leaves!

I am glad that I asked around here and thankful that I got really good inputs!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:48   #5466
BHPian

Tipsy when we brought him 3 years ago
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0945.jpg

Now fully grown up
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20180404wa0015.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:31   #5467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Tipsy when we brought him 3 years ago
Attachment 2046556

Now fully grown up
Attachment 2046557
What a cutie!
Still looks a bit tipsy
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 06:57   #5468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What a cutie!
Still looks a bit tipsy
Thank you.
We were driving to Allahabad, and tipsy was wanting the entire seat, and was pushing my wife out, she then went and sat behind, and oh he was so happy.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:13   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Guys - I need some pointers / advice as someone who would want to keep a pet for the very first time. Thanks in advance.

Context -
We are a 5 member household living in a 2000 sq. ft. apartment on the 8th floor, in Delhi NCR. The pet is primarily for my daughter (almost 9 now). I love pets (and most animals) in general and am good around them, but other members in my family range from ambivalent to socially distanced though no one is hostile. Moreover, everyone has agreed to this idea (finally).

Choice of Pet-
Everyone in the house agrees on a Dog, so that is what it'll have to be. Moreover, I am given to understand that for a first timer a Male is better, given they have lesser periodic issues as they grow, though Females can have better behaviour. So we are looking for a Male Pup.

Size-
Given we live in an apartment we are averse to keeping a large sized dog (Labrador or bigger). Moreover, we would like to avoid the very small sized dogs (Pug or smaller) since they can be very noisy or have health issues.

Breeds Considered-
Adopted Indie - I understand that these are the most resilient of all available dogs, have very few health issues, are naturally adapted to our conditions and very easy to find. However, some of my circle have advised me against it because their temperament can be unpredictable since they haven't been selectively bred. They may be super nice or can be aggressive and it's very difficult to judge upfront. Secondly, some them can grow to large sizes that we do not want at all. Another aspect that was mentioned is that local street dogs can gang up and attack them more, which would make walking the dog difficult for my daughter. So while this was my first option upfront, it has now slipped to my last!

Beagle - This is like the perfect size and type of Dog that we all would love. We understand it is very playful and involving which may be a good and sometimes, bad thing. However, many owners have warned us that these can be very obstinate and have a tendency to destroy stuff if left alone or even otherwise. It is still currently top on my list. The question is how and where to get one from. What to look for and what to avoid with Beagle Pups?

Bull-Dog - Again very ideal sized, supposed to be on the lazier side so less involvement needed from me if my daughter slacks off. Again what is the general opinion about these? Health issues, adaptability aspects?

Daschund or Basset Hound - These have been recommended by a few friends, but I think they need quite a bit of care and maintenance, apart from having some health issues. How manageable would they be?

Any other breeds I should consider?
How should I go about getting one given my location?
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:20   #5470
BHPian

A 2000 sq ft apartment is enough space for a retriever sized dog as long as you have access to the terrace or can walk them within the apartment complex grounds for minimum half an hour a day.

For first time owners you cannot go wrong with a Labrador or better yet a Golden Retriever. Choose one with clean papers and with parents not having hip dysplasia. They have the perfect temperament to be companions and are excellent with kids.

Though I would still suggest an Indie pup if you can keep aside the snob value of a pedigree breed. Temperament depends on how they are brought up and how well socialized they are with other dogs (through walks or playing in the park) at an early ish age.

Best of luck and wish you many happy years with your new family member!
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:56   #5471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Choice of Pet-
Size-
Given we live in an apartment we are averse to keeping a large sized dog (Labrador or bigger). Moreover, we would like to avoid the very small sized dogs (Pug or smaller) since they can be very noisy or have health issues.

Breeds Considered-
As someone looking for a pet, I'll share what I've found from my research.
-You can also consider a Cocker-Spaniel, which is pretty much like a smaller Golden
-Beagles are fantastic though very inquisitive and a tad sedate as they grow older. A Golden is a bundle of energy and joy
-Walking twice a day (preferred thrice) for any dog is a must (for doing their business)
-Dogs must be trained and you can check Youtube for the same
-Love a pet and you'll get that back x100,000

We are a couple looking for a pet for a 2000sq ft as well. Though I love Goldens I though the house would be small for one and hence was looking for a smaller breed. Off late, I've found that not to be the case.
A Beagle/ Cocker-Spaniel/ Golden is unavailable in Bangalore right now. If at all, available, one with proper papers is going for 30-40k INR.
Hope you have better luck.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 12:21   #5472
BHPian

Quote:
Beagle - This is like the perfect size and type of Dog that we all would love. We understand it is very playful and involving which may be a good and sometimes, bad thing. However, many owners have warned us that these can be very obstinate and have a tendency to destroy stuff if left alone or even otherwise. It is still currently top on my list. The question is how and where to get one from. What to look for and what to avoid with Beagle Pups?
We have a female beagle which is about 3.5 years old. I have had dogs all my life and would not recommend a beagle for first time owners. Like others have suggested a Lab/Golden would be perfect to start off with.

Beagles do need a lot of patience and are extremely stubborn breeds, though with lot of patience and proper training is a very intelligent breed. And yes they tend to destroy stuff- it does not matter if they are left alone or not. Also they need their share of exercise for that matter any dog does. Proper walks of 30 mins once a day as they tend to become overweight lazying around.

At the same time, they are extremely loving, cute and adorable and the negatives do not even matter once you bring one home.

Hope this helps.
aditya.86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 12:32   #5473
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for chipping in and for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
A 2000 sq ft apartment is enough space for a retriever sized dog as long as you have access to the terrace or can walk them within the apartment complex grounds for minimum half an hour a day.

For first time owners you cannot go wrong with a Labrador or better yet a Golden Retriever....
Though I would still suggest an Indie pup if you can keep aside the snob value of a pedigree breed.
A Lab/Retriever sized dog won't work for my apartment at all. I absolutely love these, but .. :(
Some members of my family (my aged parents) will be less welcoming towards an Indie, although I have absolutely nothing against one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
As someone looking for a pet, I'll share what I've found from my research.
-You can also consider a Cocker-Spaniel, which is pretty much like a smaller Golden
-Beagles are fantastic though very inquisitive and a tad sedate as they grow older.
We are a couple looking for a pet for a 2000sq ft as well. Though I love Goldens I though the house would be small for one and hence was looking for a smaller breed.
Thanks, I'll check out Cocker Spaniels too. The difference between my and your case, is that you guys are 2 pax/2000 sq.ft, whereas we are 5.5 pax. Hence the lookout for a somewhat smaller Dog. A golden Retriever would be great for a household like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
We have a female beagle which is about 3.5 years old. I have had dogs all my life and would not recommend a beagle for first time owners. Like others have suggested a Lab/Golden would be perfect to start off with.
Can you please elaborate a little bit as to why you are not recommending a Beagle for a first time owner. I am aware of most of their issues. What is it that could be extremely difficult or challenging for us to deal with?

Separately -
Any advice on Bulldogs, Daschunds, or Basset Hounds?

Last edited by roy_libran : 25th August 2020 at 12:53.
Old 25th August 2020, 13:17   #5474
BHPian

Quote:

Can you please elaborate a little bit as to why you are not recommending a Beagle for a first time owner. I am aware of most of their issues. What is it that could be extremely difficult or challenging for us to deal with?

Separately -
Any advice on Bulldogs, Daschunds, or Basset Hounds?
They are very disobedient and difficult to train. A lot also depends on finding a pup from a good breeder with proper papers and a good lineage.

Since you live in an apartment, some beagles tend to get really vocal and they bark and howl quite a bit which might be disturbing to neighbours.

Like i said earlier, patience is the key and go for a beagle only if you are willing to put in real effort and a lot of time training the pup from day 1.

Compared to bassets, bulldogs and daschunds beagle is a fairly healthy breed.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 13:23   #5475
BHPian

@roy_libran - We were a 5 people household too in a 2000 sq ft apartment when Cherry our Golden girl was with us. We do have a massive balcony though. If you have adequate space for walks either inside the apartment complex or even on a terrace it should be OK. Retrievers make the best first time pets to be honest. You may wish to foster a golden or a lab for a few days and see how it works out before committing to a purchase or an adoption.

Either way, best of luck with whoever you choose (or as is often the case with pets, whoever choses you! )
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks