Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 12:24   #5341
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sheba and whiskas are both good

This loss of hair, is it fungal in nature? If yes, I can suggest something that’s been evidenced online and recommended by my vet.
Yes, symptoms are fungal in nature. Please suggest. Thanks a lot.
Old 7th May 2020, 12:45   #5342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Yes, symptoms are fungal in nature. Please suggest. Thanks a lot.
You have to find this: seba Lime Sulfur Dip - 250ml https://www.amazon.in/dp/B079SFZV7X/..._rs7SEb5JT0RV3

JIBSS Demoscanil Lime Sulfur Dip - 250ml https://www.amazon.in/dp/B078YQH5Y8/..._fv7SEbZG9GQ20

And dilute it carefully according to instructions and apply topically over the affected part. Cat should not lick the area. Use gloves for yourself or apply using a syringe, which is what I did. Spread the fur apply on the skin directly.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/lime-sulfur-dip.html
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:48   #5343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I need suggestions on wet kitten food. How is whiskas junior tuna or chicken food or any other brand?
Whiskas wet food is pretty decent. Their Ocean and Tuna flavors are liked by most kittens. Do read up on slowly mixing up wet and dry food gradually as the kitten grows. There are better brands for dry kitten food than Whiskas (it's not that bad) - for example Farmina N&D.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 23:11   #5344
BHPian

One of the male kittens has that clouded pattern
Looks different from the others. Have a look at his coat
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200509_230610.jpg  

pyrodrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:03   #5345
Senior - BHPian

There are two (desi) male dogs in my house aged 12+ and 3. These dogs don't come inside the house, but have nice space within the compound. They do go out and mingle with other dogs, when they were let loose (most of the time). They don't get baths. We feed them well & give medicine for deworming. Will visit doc for any injuries, if the home made treatments are not effective (usually turmeric)

I have noticed the tick infestation for the aged dog is very very high for the past 1-2 months. Upon close inspection, I was shocked to see the volume of ticks under the paws, inside the ears etc.

I removed each and every one of them, spending hours together only to notice they come back even stronger in the next 2-3 days. This is more effort intensive.

A friend suggested that I try RIID. The guy at pharma suggested Tickfree spot on (FIPRONIL 9.8% W/V + (S)-METHOPRENE 8.8% W/V). He added this can be applied to older dogs based on weight category.

On precautionary note it was mentioned this product MAY be harmful for aged, debilitated & nursing animals. But the application seems to be very simple.

Anyone has used Spot-On for a dog aged above 12? or RIID is a safer option?
Any special care to be taken while applying?

My friend added these ticks should not be removed by hand. While doing so, it will lay eggs as we separate them plus they will inject a parasite into the dog which is harmful to the lungs.

Is that true?? If yes, can we remove the very smaller ones.

Pls advise.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:24   #5346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Pls advise.
A medicated bath is the first step for a heavily infested dog.

Next day, mix 1 ml RID with 1 liter water and spray generously to wet the fur from the opposite direction.

A day later, use the spot on treatment (I am guessing that you know how to apply spot on treatment on the scruff of the neck, where the dog cannot lick itself, by parting the fur and putting it directly on the skin), be sure to use the correct weight category medicine (the amount of medicine in the pipette varies with weight).

Use a tick puller if possible, else there's a risk that the head of the tick shall remain attached to the body of the dog and cause infections. I remove them by hand wearing a pair of nitrile gloves.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:34   #5347
Senior - BHPian

if there is heavy tick infestation, then there will be a lot of eggs laid and pulling individual ticks does not help.

Try bath and medicine route. If the infestation still remains then it is better to shave all the hair (including tail) apply the medicine for a couple of days and then give a medicated bath.

The reason for shaving is to ensure
a) That you can see all the affected areas clearly and apply medicine to the affected areas.
b) No ticks or eggs hide in the hair.

Finally explore the net for food that inhibit ticks. In my experience Cooked Garlic and Turmeric in food do an excellent job of reducing tick infestation.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:39   #5348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

A day later, use the spot on treatment (I am guessing that you know how to apply spot on treatment on the scruff of the neck, where the dog cannot lick itself, by parting the fur and putting it directly on the skin), be sure to use the correct weight category medicine (the amount of medicine in the pipette varies with weight).
The medicine cover has a pictorial description of where it needs to be applied...it was mentioned to apply in two spots. Iam little worried about the second spot as the possibility of the dog reaching the spot is there. Do you suggest only one spot for application?

Quote:
Use a tick puller if possible, else there's a risk that the head of the tick shall remain attached to the body of the dog and cause infections. I remove them by hand wearing a pair of nitrile gloves.
Gloves I have are not comfortable to remove the ticks. Thanks will try the nitrile gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dog.jpeg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th May 2020 at 14:57. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 14th May 2020, 10:43   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Finally explore the net for food that inhibit ticks. In my experience Cooked Garlic and Turmeric in food do an excellent job of reducing tick infestation.
Thanks. I guess it may take some time to yield results, but it is a preferable option. This will definitely help the younger one as we will make this as a practice.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:50   #5350
BHPian

Quote:
There are two (desi) male dogs in my house aged 12+ and 3.
Pls advise.
Refer to this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4767815 (Team-BHPians and their Pets)

Fipronil spray (an ectoparasiticide - external parasite killer) is excellent to control the ticks. It leaves a white residue on the skin/coat which will protect the animals for an extended period.
But this alone is not enough as the ticks would climb walls and settle in surrounding areas. Unless you control them, they would resurface again and again.
Try the salt water bath as in the quoted message.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 13:23   #5351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
But this alone is not enough as the ticks would climb walls and settle in surrounding areas. Unless you control them, they would resurface again and again.
Try the salt water bath as in the quoted message.
Yes, my wife pointed to the top corners on the wall where they have effortlessly climbed & settled. Never knew they can live without host for 6 months

Also its terrifying to read they are life threatening. Very sad. BTW, are they dangerous in any way to human beings?
Old 14th May 2020, 13:32   #5352
BHPian

While giving a bath in RIDD solution it might be a good idea to tie their mouths with a small rope so that they do not lick themselves. Tick fever is indeed life threatening for them so very important to get it under control.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 14:38   #5353
BHPian

Quote:

Also its terrifying to read they are life threatening. Very sad. BTW, are they dangerous in any way to human beings?
Yes ticks can carry bacteria like rickettsia which causes diseases like scrub typhus.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 15:19   #5354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Whiskas wet food is pretty decent. Their Ocean and Tuna flavors are liked by most kittens. Do read up on slowly mixing up wet and dry food gradually as the kitten grows. There are better brands for dry kitten food than Whiskas (it's not that bad) - for example Farmina N&D.
Any feedback on how is MeO cat food? I find them decently priced and the cats like them.
Old 14th May 2020, 15:37   #5355
BHPian

I have a 2 year old Labrador Retriever named Sparky. He is a very active and friendly Lab. Over the last 6-8 months he has been suffering from some allergy which causes frequent and continuous itching to him. The poor guy itches and rubs himself all over and a lot of times bleeds by scratching himself while itching. We have been consulting different vets and so far the only medicine which seemed to work was Itchmune C100 syrup (1.2 ml daily) and we were happy to see Sparky back to normal after a couple of months of Itchmune treatment.

However in March 2020, even before the lockdown was announced, Itchmune went off the shelves as SavaVet (The company manufacturing Itchmune) had some issues with production. Sparky is back to his bad itching days now.

The vet has now recommended a capsule called Atosporin 100 - which is supposed to have the same composition as Itchmune..but this is not working so far.

The diagnosis for Sparky reads - Canine Atopic Dermatitis.

Can any of you share from your experiences what will be helpful for Sparky and his condition?
Rajeev1 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks