Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 08:31   #5191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What kind of brush do you use (or are supposed to user) for shorthairs?
Normal brushes that you will get at any pet store.

You get cheaper alternatives (sub-300 inr) of the glove based brushes from AliExpress too. However not all cats like it (mine don't always); so it's a case to case basis with these glove based brushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You get these glove based brushes.
Old 11th February 2020, 16:18   #5192
Distinguished - BHPian

Cats have very tough skin. You can tell that if you ever get your hand in the way when they are scratching! And also by the fact that they seem to expect our skin to be just as tough when playing.

I have used brushes made for humans, silicon brushes, and even wire dog brushes.

The cat will promptly inform of any discomfort
Old 11th February 2020, 16:26   #5193
Team-BHP Support

My wife uses this for our indoor cats:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Team-BHPians and their Pets-c1.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-c2.jpg

If you are wondering why they are up there its because these almost 3 year old cats got scared of my neighbors new kitten:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-c3.jpg
Old 11th February 2020, 16:28   #5194
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha. That’s a munchkin cat. What a cute little fluff of love.

Must.go.wrench things to get manhood back.
Old 11th February 2020, 16:44   #5195
BHPian

My ovaries just exploded *swoons*

Seriously I've always been a dog person since Cherry came into our lives, but now I find cats, dogs and even all sort of critters cute. I spend an inordinate number of hours on /r/aww and related subs on reddit. Think I've turned into a softie.

@bblost pardon my heresy but could you please ask your neighbours to wipe the eye boogers off that kitty please?
Old 11th February 2020, 18:04   #5196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
@bblost pardon my heresy but could you please ask your neighbours to wipe the eye boogers off that kitty please?
We found this fellow roaming.
Brought him home till the flat it belonged to was traced.

My wife saw to it that they will take better care of this cat in future.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:55   #5197
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good puppy pen/partition? Also, folks who've introduced their pups to cats what technique did you use?
Old 11th February 2020, 22:11   #5198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A distant cell in my brain seems to remember that Bengal cats swim? By choice, that is!
Some of them supposedly do. I don't have a place where they can try that though. But they dip their paws in a small rock pool like thingy I have in the far corner of my balcony.. also they like to drink water from there rather than from the bowls... sometimes I am worried about the single goldfish I have there
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200211_220301_copy_1722x1272.jpg  

Old 11th February 2020, 22:23   #5199
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a lovely rock-pool-like thingy! The plants look nice too. I would worry about that fish too, but if it has survived so far, maybe the cat is not interested. Nice cat too

Our cats will sometimes shun the clean water available in the house in favour of various garden containers. Even our floral-kolam bowl.
Old 12th February 2020, 04:44   #5200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's a lovely rock-pool-like thingy! The plants look nice too. I would worry about that fish too, but if it has survived so far, maybe the cat is not interested. Nice cat too

Our cats will sometimes shun the clean water available in the house in favour of various garden containers. Even our floral-kolam bowl.
Mine too. Used to prefer water from the bathroom as opposed to the cleaner water we kept around.

Solved this by keeping her water in an earthen pot. I think cats like water with a hint of mud or dirt because of the natural minerals in there. She drinks only from there now.
Old 12th February 2020, 05:53   #5201
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
A bit of help/advice solicited. My cats have to be de-fleaed. Back in the US I had a working (but expensive) product which I'm not able to get here. Tried locally available products (Vivaldi spray) , hasn't been successful yet. Considering the younger one likes to roam around the garden, canvassing with the local (street) cats, I'm not sure if the product itself is the problem but am open for suggestions that have worked for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
sometimes I am worried about the single goldfish I have there
Wow - nice setup, and a gorgeous cat. My cats used to like to observe me taking a bath when they were young. Never got into the bath, although they loved to lay down there later as probably it was nice and cool.

BTW, doesn't that goldfish be lonely being alone? Or does it even matter for fishes? Remember some children's anecdote of goldfish, memory and company; can't recollect entirely.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th February 2020 at 06:05.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:57   #5202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
A bit of help/advice solicited. My cats have to be de-fleaed. Back in the US I had a working (but expensive) product which I'm not able to get here. Tried locally available products (Vivaldi spray) , hasn't been successful yet. Considering the younger one likes to roam around the garden, canvassing with the local (street) cats, I'm not sure if the product itself is the problem but am open for suggestions that have worked for you guys.
Just about every option available stateside is also available here. Fipronil - like Vivaldi - should work just fine actually. If not - there are Bravecto chewable pills (Fluralaner) which are made for cats (there's a dog version as well at higher dosages). Ask your local vet or pet pharmacy.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:18   #5203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just about every option available stateside is also available here.
LOL - care to suggest a local source for this product? Not a US imported one
REVOLUTION 3PK CAT 5.1-15 LBS

Thanks for the other suggestions; unfortunately chewable options don't work with my buggers. Will look up on Fipronil.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:24   #5204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
LOL - care to suggest a local source for this product? Not a US imported one
REVOLUTION 3PK CAT 5.1-15 LBS

Thanks for the other suggestions; unfortunately chewable options don't work with my buggers. Will look up on Fipronil.
This chewable will guaranteed work as it is basically a meat pill that is mixed with the medication. My dog hates pills too so most pills I have to grind up and mix with something strong smelling like eggs or raw meat. But Bravecto she chews up instantly, licks her lips even.

Thats imported too, german or swiss made but widely available in India. The problem is a dose will cost you around 2k, but its effects last for over 3 months, and it starts work instantly. Ticks / fleas on your cat will literally just die within seconds of your cat eating the pill.

That Vivaldi Spray you bought IS fipronil.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:01   #5205
Distinguished - BHPian

Protektor is the brand of one-drop flea treatment sold my vet. It's "only" 140rs per dose. Once the cat and house is cleared of fleas, I don't use it again until I spot one

Whilst on the subject of these treatments, it's always worth repeating that those meant for dogs can be lethal to cats. Just in case someone passes by who doesn't know that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks