Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2020, 07:51   #5146
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So I still hold that my experience is that dogs never slowed the family down. Although... I suppose it might depend on how one drives without them
I can't relate to the slowdown either. We have driven many times to the Bay Area from So. Cal. ~500mi. When our dog was a pup, our son was a toddler. While I changed the diapers, wife walked the dog during the lunch break. It needed some planning as to where we stopped. It takes us the same time now, when I drive with out the dog or the kids. I still need to stop for lunch.
Old 6th January 2020, 09:48   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
@Prowler regarding hip dysplasia, do you have the pedigree documents of your dogs parents? There should be a HD score for them in the papers.

Also, initial symptoms of hip dysplasia can be identified by your vet by doing an xray.
Thank you digitalnirvana. Yes. The Vet subjected the dog to an Xray which was not clear about the diagnosis. One vet said it is normal while the original Vet said it has. He advised me to keep the weight below normal and suggested supplements to manage the condition. I see no abnormality except that it is psychological in nature. He is terrified of steps still.

Quote:

Although... I suppose it might depend on how one drives without them

I am very sorry for your puppy's experience. How do you handle stairs that must be climbed? It's not exactly an easy-to-carry dog. I do hope he didn't suffer lasting damage.
Thanks again. Once he climbed the stairs inside the house but couldn't turn back as the stairs was too narrow for him (may be it is fright). He had to be carried back. I installed a small door in the entrance of the stairs.
It surely is not easy to carry a fully grown GSD but we manage. It is like lifting the spare wheel from the SUV's rear door. Leaves you with a back pain. Faulty design - if you ask me (both car and animal).
Last time, the Airb-n-b had a lift and so we managed. Otherwise we have to look for a ground floor stay.

Life is not easy - I realized long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I can't relate to the slowdown either. We have driven many times to the Bay Area from So. Cal. ~500mi. It needed some planning as to where we stopped. It takes us the same time now, when I drive with out the dog or the kids. I still need to stop for lunch.
GutsyGibbon - Driving in the US and UK is a piece of cake compared to driving in Indian roads. I have driven in the US.

Our roads are chaotic even at the best of times. When you find the time, read through 'Bad Drivers - How do you spot them' section.

I want to be prepared. I want to reduce the stress levels inside the car both for 2 legged as well as 4 legged.

Last edited by navin : 6th January 2020 at 13:43.
Old 7th February 2020, 07:50   #5148
BHPian

I have been thinking of bringing a puppy home for sometime. But somehow I am not able to makeup my mind for some or other reason. The latest in this list is - how will I make sure that I get a healthy one ? Is a puppy from kennels the best option ? Any help in this direction will be highly appreciated.
Old 7th February 2020, 07:54   #5149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I have been thinking of bringing a puppy home for sometime. But somehow I am not able to makeup my mind for some or other reason. The latest in this list is - how will I make sure that I get a healthy one ? Is a puppy from kennels the best option ? Any help in this direction will be highly appreciated.
If you are not particular about breeds, an "indie" (street dog) has high levels of immunity and is much hardier than the typical breed dog.

Most cheaper "kennels" (one guy working from his house) are not particular about how they breed, and you run into the risk of inbred genetic disorders (heart issues, hip dysplasia for larger breeds etc).

Find your local animal shelter or look for your local dog rescue community and pick one up. You won't regret the decision - but be warned, getting a puppy in the house is like getting a baby, so you need patience (and you need to spend cash to get the pup vaccinated, neutered after 6-7 months etc) for the first several months, and a good dog trainer.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:32   #5150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you are not particular about breeds, an "indie" (street dog) has high levels of immunity and is much hardier than the typical breed dog.
+1 to this. The local stray dogs are actually genetically the hardiest and best suited to our conditions. Low maintenance, very intelligent and great guard dogs with good temperaments. All these fancy breeds look good but are not really suited for our conditions, they will require much more care.

Quote:
Most cheaper "kennels" (one guy working from his house) are not particular about how they breed, and you run into the risk of inbred genetic disorders (heart issues, hip dysplasia for larger breeds etc).
Very true. Most dog breeders are pathetic. Very few operate with licenses and take care of the dogs. One of my neighbors breeds labs occasionally and the dogs he uses are from the same litter! So you can imagine the inbred diseases those pups will be carrying. But people still buy them. If you are a true dog lover, please avoid buying puppies and encouraging this cruel practice of breeding. And for heaven's sake don't get Huskies, St.Bernard's, Malamutes or such breeds that were never meant for our weather!

Quote:
But somehow I am not able to makeup my mind for some or other reason.
As someone who has had dogs right from childhood, I can tell you it's a HECK of a lot of work! In fact the past 5 years are the longest I've been without a dog after our last one died (he was a rescued dog, the original owner couldn't keep him anymore). And I have to say, it's been a bit of a breather!

Waking up in the morning cold to take the dog for a walk, walking in the rain, always worried if the neighborhood kids are feeding the dog chocolate (dangerous for dogs) through the gate. Complaints from neighbors about late night barking, not being able to travel on a whim because you need to find someone to feed the dog while you're away. The fur all over the house, and car, not being able to stay out late because you need to come back and feed the dog or walk it. It's a lot of work. So if you're not sure, think carefully.

Now we feed a stray cat occasionally. Cats are awesome, transactional, we have our freedom and so does she, no emotional dependence!

(Just kidding, I know the value of the bond between dog and owner and I will adopt another dog someday, but only when I have the time.)
Old 7th February 2020, 08:37   #5151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Now we feed a stray cat occasionally. Cats are awesome, transactional, we have our freedom and so does she, no emotional dependence!

.)
Man, that is mean and we take offence. Both Thad and moi. Except for the awesome bit.

We ARE pawesome.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:52   #5152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
We ARE pawesome.
Haha, well you know the saying, "Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, pigs treat us as equals!"
Old 7th February 2020, 09:06   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Are you open to adopting one? There are a lot of laboratory rescued beagles which come up for adoption in Bangalore very often. But these need more care, training and patience.

I myself have a 3 year old Beagle at home which i bought. But looking at the number of dogs that need a home and life, I will never pay for a puppy again. Would definitely adopt one when the time is right.

If you are looking for a specific breed, a reputed breeder is your only option. But, again you will have no way to know whether it is a healthy one or not when they are a puppy.
Old 7th February 2020, 09:37   #5154
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend one of the Freegles (freed Beagles) because they've been tortured in the labs for medical tests and need a lot of love and patience. Not for first timers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Are you open to adopting one? There are a lot of laboratory rescued beagles which come up for adoption in Bangalore very often. But these need more care, training and patience.

I myself have a 3 year old Beagle at home which i bought. But looking at the number of dogs that need a home and life, I will never pay for a puppy again. Would definitely adopt one when the time is right.

If you are looking for a specific breed, a reputed breeder is your only option. But, again you will have no way to know whether it is a healthy one or not when they are a puppy.
Old 7th February 2020, 10:02   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend one of the Freegles (freed Beagles) because they've been tortured in the labs for medical tests and need a lot of love and patience. Not for first timers.
Yeah agree. Needs a lot of patience, training and love.
Old 7th February 2020, 14:26   #5156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Man, that is mean and we take offence. Both Thad and moi. Except for the awesome bit.

We ARE pawesome.
Cats are loving and do become dependent. One of my cats was very thin and very distressed when we returned after a month away, despite being fed every day by known maid. I think he thought we had locked him out! My current "kitten" (two years old next month) is as demanding as a toddler. But their attitude is certainly different to that of dogs. Dogs are great, but it's no secret that I am a cat man.

As to the responsibility: I would rather be animal-free, despite the company and comfort that they give me. Not one of my three cats was invited (by me) to live here. Travel-time care, vet's bills, the grief when something bad happens to them... I could live without all that.
Old 7th February 2020, 15:10   #5157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few pointers from my end, as I have been dealing with street / stray dog welfare for sometime.
  • Kindly adopt a stray / Indie dog and give it a second chance at life. I can post pictures of how well fed and vaccinated indies are no lesser than any foreign prebreed dogs. They are much more hardy, respond to medication like magic because they have zero drug resistance, and are naturally selected so have minimal to zero genetic diseases. Plus the amount of wit they have will surprise you.
  • If you want foreign purebreeds, try rescuing from a shelter.
  • Avoid small time breeders like plague. They do not abide by the AWBI regulations, cut corners at every step, basically run puppy mills, and treat the stock dogs pathetically.
  • If you are a first timer with dogs, suggest you do not get a puppy. Get a trained & housebroken adult dog.
  • Choose your dog according to your house - do not get dogs that need high activity if you live in an apartment and are away for long times. The dog shall go into depression and get destructive / snappy. Remember, they are pack animals and thrive in a group.
  • Last but not the least - it's a lot of hard work looking after a dog. Basically it's like having a toddler forever. The dog shall be completely dependent on you for food / shelter / medication / companionship. Please think if you can afford that amount of time / money / patience.

Last edited by blackasta : 7th February 2020 at 15:13.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 15:24   #5158
BANNED

Quote:
One of my cats was very thin and very distressed when we returned after a month away, despite being fed every day by known maid.
Any chance the maid may have been irregular in feeding him in terms of timings or may be skipped some meals? Or may be you feed him on demand whereas the maid fed him at fixed times?

I ask this as a cat person

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th March 2020 at 14:10. Reason: A maximum of 2 smileys allowed per post. Thank you!
Old 7th February 2020, 17:00   #5159
BHPian

After lots of scratches and lots of food I have finally made friends with the cat in my office canteen - actually free roaming within the office premises but she keeps coming to the cafeteria looking for food.

She is one of a litter of three and the only one surviving, and I've seen her grow up from a wee little kitten. Her brother unfortunately passed away, just got to know today he had an eye injury, must have been a bad way to go without treatment.

This girl purrs with delight when I pet her. Also does not hesitate to swat at me with knife like claws at the first sign of irritation.

The scratches have drawn blood so I guess I'll have to fork out 3k for the set of anti rabies vaccines, yes? Second time I have to do this within a year. A dog with prolapsed vagina had bit me when I was holding her down for rescue.

I really ought to stop this.
Old 7th February 2020, 17:59   #5160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

The scratches have drawn blood so I guess I'll have to fork out 3k for the set of anti rabies vaccines, yes? Second time I have to do this within a year. A dog with prolapsed vagina had bit me when I was holding her down for rescue.

I really ought to stop this.
A 5 shot dose of anti rabies vaccine will keep you safe for a couple of years. After that you just need to take 1 shot every year as a top up to boost the anti body titer value in your body.

However, it does not mean every cat or dog that bites you has rabies. Rabies is transmitted in the terminal stages of disease and the animal will not survive for more than 10 days if it is in terminal stage of the disease. So if the cat is alive and kicking after 10 days of scratch/bite, one need not worry about the transmission.

If you have taken a rabies vaccine once in your life then in case of exposure to rabies you need not panic or worry. Your body has enough antibodies to fight. You can take a 3 shot dose and you will be protected .

PS - A shot of rabies vaccine costs 350 bucks.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 7th February 2020 at 18:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks