Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 13:03   #5206
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Protektor is the brand of one-drop flea treatment sold my vet. It's "only" 140rs per dose. Once the cat and house is cleared of fleas, I don't use it again until I spot one

Whilst on the subject of these treatments, it's always worth repeating that those meant for dogs can be lethal to cats. Just in case someone passes by who doesn't know that.
Each manufacturer has different formulations for dogs and cats. With a dog or a cat picture on the bottle or pill so that you don't make a mistake. So no issues I guess
Old 11th March 2020, 13:44   #5207
BHPian

Celebrating Holi with my furry kids
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200310_120720.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200310_121259.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200311_134652.jpg  

Last edited by AnandB : 11th March 2020 at 13:47.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:50   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Celebrating Holi with my furry kids
The lab is super happy to be playing, the cats are as expected totally unimpressed.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:00   #5209
Distinguished - BHPian

Sooo, cat question from a (supposedly) 'dog person' here. There is this stray cat we've been feeding on and off for about a year now. She also used to spend a few hours inside the house before taking off. My wife even managed to take her to the vet and get her neutered. A few weeks ago, she didn't turn up for more than a week. Thought she must have found a better alternative for food or must have been chased away by another cat.

Then a couple of weeks ago, she turned up, badly injured on one side of the head. The left ear is missing and the left eye was also injured. Most probably had been attacked by a dog or maybe another cat. Managed to catch her and take her to the vet. Got her cleaned up and bandaged. Vet says that eye is blind. Was planning to keep her indoors till she recovered, but she managed to escape after coming out of sedation. Haven't seen her since, but there are indications that she's around. The milk that we put out, laced with the medicine the vet gave us (an antibiotic I guess) is being finished and there are paw prints on the car. Or could be another cat.

What's the chance a cat will survive with injuries like that? I know these creatures are pretty hardy, but can they hunt without an eye?

Last edited by am1m : 11th March 2020 at 14:02.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:07   #5210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Then a couple of weeks ago, she turned up, badly injured on one side of the head. The left ear is missing and the left eye was also injured. Most probably had been attacked by a dog or maybe another cat. Managed to catch her and take her to the vet. Got her cleaned up and bandaged. Vet says that eye is blind. Was planning to keep her indoors till she recovered, but she managed to escape after coming out of sedation. Haven't seen her since, but there are indications that she's around. The milk that we put out, laced with the medicine the vet gave us (an antibiotic I guess) is being finished and there are paw prints on the car. Or could be another cat.

What's the chance a cat will survive with injuries like that? I know these creatures are pretty hardy, but can they hunt without an eye?
From my experience, feral cats, when injured, isolate themselves and do not prefer human interaction. Even though you have taken to vet and given treatment, it does not feel comfortable around humans. Since the cat knows that you give food, most likely she will come back. Keep putting some milk. She will come back when she feels better.

Now whether she can hunt with one eye, i do not know. If the injury does not cause an infection that spreads then she has a good chance of healing.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 11th March 2020 at 14:09.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:25   #5211
BANNED

Just FYI - a huge majority of cats get diarrhea on drinking cow/buffalo milk.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:31   #5212
BHPian

Agree. My vet suggests to not feed them milk either. Best to get some dry cat food and feed it. Might actually be cheaper with milk costs.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:36   #5213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Just FYI - a huge majority of cats get diarrhea on drinking cow/buffalo milk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From my experience, feral cats, when injured, isolate themselves and do not prefer human interaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Agree. My vet suggests to not feed them milk either. Best to get some dry cat food and feed it. Might actually be cheaper with milk costs.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess at this point it's a matter of better something going inside with the medicine as opposed to nothing. Plus she seemed to be fine drinking that milk for about a year now. If she does come back regularly, will consider switching. Damn, I really thought I'd be able to not get attached to a cat, that too a stray.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:40   #5214
Distinguished - BHPian

Cats can survive all sorts of injury and still function, even as feral cats. But, sadly, they also isolate themselves when "serious."

You can be totally attached to a cat, but it is a hostile environment for them, and we must be prepared to loose them any time.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th March 2020 at 14:41.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:48   #5215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess at this point it's a matter of better something going inside with the medicine as opposed to nothing. Plus she seemed to be fine drinking that milk for about a year now. If she does come back regularly, will consider switching.
You'd be surprised if you try feeding them an alternative (cat food/etc) and then try giving them milk again. Of course, this being an alternative once you are satisfied with the dosages.

To answer your original question, if the cat is not able to hunt for food on its own, s/he will come to you begging/expecting for food. So keep putting out some amount of cat dry food (better than milk), and you'll know if it's been getting fed or not.

Quote:
Damn, I really thought I'd be able to not get attached to a cat, that too a stray.
Welcome to the dark side. You are now officially a cat person (too)!
Old 12th March 2020, 09:49   #5216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
A bit of help/advice solicited. My cats have to be de-fleaed. Back in the US I had a working (but expensive) product which I'm not able to get here.
I have been battling ticks and fleas for close to a dozen years. Ticks in the dogs are the worst - they eventually kill the hosts - our precious companions. Fipronil spray works but it needs our help. After much research and experimentation, I have a solution that works:
Buy a large plastic tub in which you can immerse your dog. For cats it is easy, just use a large bucket.
Fill 3/4 of the tub/bucket with tepid water. For large dogs, use 4 kg of salt and 500 ml of vinegar (not the ACVD or Rock vinegar) and mix well. Dip your pet in this solution for at least 10-15 minutes. Keep their nose out of the water. But make sure that their ears are wet.

Leave them to dry.

Ticks will climb the wall where the pets frequent. So spray vinegar+ salt + detergent solution in the nooks and crevices and walls. They will wilt and die eventually. Do this salt water bath every 15 days until completely rid of the pests.
Buy a set of baby socks for your dogs and use them when they go out in affected area. Dip the socks in a solution of salt+ vinegar+ detergent before you use. Wash them in hot water after use.

Yes - it is a real pain. After I started on this, touch wood - my pets are free. BTW, I had to sacrifice 3 GSDs before I found the solution.

Fleas are much easier to control. At least fleas don't live without hosts for long. Ticks can live without host for even 6 months. So after an infestation, you have to be thorough before you get in another pet. In the mean time when there is no pet, use the household insecticide liberally in all the nooks and walls.

Inspect the area with a powerful light. These low lives are small dots when they have no hosts for days.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 10:36   #5217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
For cats it is easy, just use a large bucket.
Fill 3/4 of the tub/bucket with tepid water.

Ha ha. My cat will kill me if I take him near a bucket of water. Luckily, no problems with ticks or fleas till now.
Old 12th March 2020, 12:32   #5218
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha. My cat will kill me if I take him near a bucket of water. Luckily, no problems with ticks or fleas till now.
I know.
Cats hate water and will struggle a lot when immersed. But extreme problems require extreme solutions. Normally cats rarely get fleas. When they are on heat, they will forego food and roam around looking for mates. This is the time, they come into contact with feral cats which might be infested.

Giving them medicine is another pain. For dogs, it is easy. You press their jaws in the side and they open the mouth. Push the tablets right at the innermost tongue and close the jaws shut. They would swallow without any drama. For cats, be prepared to have ER ready.
Old 12th March 2020, 12:36   #5219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Giving them medicine is another pain
Me & the doctor were able to force medicines into my cat when he was a kitten. Now for the last couple of years, neither me nor the vet have been able to do it. He goes haywire & even if we manage to get it into his mouth & even keep his mouth closed, he somehow manages to spit it out eventually. So not dewormed for a year and a half now. Luckily he doesn't seem to have worms.
Old 12th March 2020, 12:52   #5220
BHPian

Quote:
He goes haywire & even if we manage to get it into his mouth & even keep his mouth closed, he somehow manages to spit it out eventually. So not dewormed for a year and a half now. Luckily he doesn't seem to have worms.
Good that your cat is not infested with fleas or worms.

For lesser fortunate cats, you dissolve the tablet in pure water and suck it into a syringe. You need two people with strong hands for this 'operation'. One holds the cat preferably with a towel ( to protect yourself of course) and the other human opens the mouth with one hand and injects the liquid deep down the throat.

I had to do this for my last cat who was mauled by a stray dog. The vet advised me to do exactly as above. But it was not a fully grown cat - I admit. My earlier adult cats were docile and allowed me to reach inside their mouth. Many a time I had to extract bone stuck in between their teeth.

I tell you keeping pets is not for the faint of heart. I still have a mark left by my cat some 20 years ago. And she didn't want to hurt me. It was purely an accident.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks