Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 13:06   #5221
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I had to do this for my last cat who was mauled by a stray dog
My cat has been injured badly a couple of time during cat fights with other stray cats. My vet always injects antibiotics for this. One time, I had to go 4 days continuously everyday to her to get my cat injected with anti-biotics.

I have seen the towel method videos. My vets assistant has also held down my cat while my vet tried to feed my cat oral medicines but this has never worked even for her since my cat grew up. So as far as injuries go, she always does injections rather than oral meds.

When my cat was a kitten, the vet had given liquid dewormer medicines which I was able to inject into my cat's throat with a lot of effort (I had to inject 4-5 squirts to get 1 or 2 squirts to get swallowed). But later my vet said that liquids are good for kittens but not for cats - but I think I will get the liquid one again & try now. Something is better than nothing.
Old 12th March 2020, 13:19   #5222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I have seen the towel method videos. My vets assistant has also held down my cat while my vet tried to feed my cat oral medicines but this has never worked even for her since my cat grew up.
Come to think about it, I noticed one thing. My regular vet has burly assistants and I always wondered why she needed people who looked like bouncers. Until I saw how they were so useful when they had to restrain a hugh German Shepherd dog. Nearly 5 men held the dog down while vet and the Xray technician struggled to hold the xray machine.

Dogs and cats are stronger than us pound for pound.
Old 12th March 2020, 13:48   #5223
BANNED

This is the liquid Dewormer I used to use for my cat when he was a kitten - http://www.petnutrimeds.com/dog-dewo...n-4895953.html

I just checked the label & it said that it can only be used for kittens and not for cats. For cats, they advise use of tablet. Any idea why? The chemical compound seems to be the same - so why would it not be effective for adult cats?
Old 12th March 2020, 14:01   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to have to battle fleas, and housemates would battle me when I was lazy about it!

That's a long time ago. Since the introduction of the single-drop medication I have had no problem. In fact, once a flea population has been got rid of, I don't see fleas for many times the they-want-you-to-use every three months dosage. Last year I got a tick on my leg: treated cats straight away and it was the one-and-only.

These creatures develop immunity, but, for the last decade or three, science has had the upper hand. There is no need for complex, difficult or painful anti-flea measures: one drop is all it takes.

As for medicating cats, here my success rates do vary. My most recent cat to need it was relatively easy. Mileage certainly does vary on this! But I've never known a vet to fail, even where I did.

In London, I used to get long-acting antibiotic injection for a cat, rather than giving pills for a week. Because... lazy! Here, my vet refuses it: he says it has bad side effects
Old 12th March 2020, 15:33   #5225
Senior - BHPian

There's a pill called Bravecto - a Merck product and made in Austria. Expensive (2k a dose) but works for upto three months, and moreover is very easy to administer to dogs and cats (they have different doses for each). You see, the pill is made of liver and they'll lick their lips and eat it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I used to have to battle fleas, and housemates would battle me when I was lazy about it!

That's a long time ago. Since the introduction of the single-drop medication I have had no problem. In fact, once a flea population has been got rid of, I don't see fleas for many times the they-want-you-to-use every three months dosage.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 16:57   #5226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There's a pill called Bravecto ...
Thanks, but I am perfectly happy with my one-drop stuff for fleas. And I only need once or twice a year.

Erm... the cats only need it
Old 13th March 2020, 09:47   #5227
BHPian

Quote:
This is the liquid Dewormer I used to use for my cat when he was a kitten ...
I just checked the label & it said that it can only be used for kittens and not for cats. For cats, they advise use of tablet. Any idea why?
I am not a vet. It is just that I lived with dogs and cats all my life.

Treatment with anthelmintic is critical. The dosage has to be calculated precisely according to the body weight. Lower dosage can cause harm. At least that is what my vet told me. She would weigh my pets everytime I take them to her. She will write the weight and then prescribe the medicine as per the weight. So it is possible that for adults it is far easier to prescribe a tablet than a syrup where it is left to the pet owners to meter the dosage.
Old 13th March 2020, 10:32   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Me & the doctor were able to force medicines into my cat when he was a kitten. Now for the last couple of years, neither me nor the vet have been able to do it. He goes haywire & even if we manage to get it into his mouth & even keep his mouth closed, he somehow manages to spit it out eventually. So not dewormed for a year and a half now. Luckily he doesn't seem to have worms.
Im sure I will need stitches if I try to do that with any of my cats
Injections are a lot easier, just need to hold the scruff of the neck, lift the skin and make a "tent " and inject subcutaneously .Oral medications are difficult, but although my cats are mostly raw fed, I made a habit of feeding a pack of whiskas wet food ( tuna in gravy) in the mornings, I add all the supplements needed in that. The smell is quite strong and masks the medicine smell if given in small quantities.
At present one of my queens is expecting, so I'm adding vitamins, lysine and calcium alternately in the wet food each morning and she eats without any fuss. If I add anything to her main raw meal, she just turns up her nose and leaves
Old 13th March 2020, 10:52   #5229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
but although my cats are mostly raw fed
How do you do this in India? Our meat & fish doesn't come through any proper cold chain, so isn't there an extremely high risk with uncooked stuff as compared to the developed countries?
Old 13th March 2020, 12:20   #5230
BHPian

Quote:
How do you do this in India? Our meat & fish doesn't come through any proper cold chain, so isn't there an extremely high risk with uncooked stuff as compared to the developed countries?
I buy whole chickens( freshy slaughtered) like we do for human consumption, just chop up and store in containers in the freezer. Weekly chore, I just make 7 packages and it lasts the week, only need to thaw and feed . They chew up all the bones too. The big male can crunch chicken leg piece bones like a dog
Old 13th March 2020, 14:02   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just buy fresh meat. Goats are generally sold within a few hours of slaughter. Chicken can be bought live and then slaughtered.

By the way, cold chain is fine as long as it is maintained, but a few lapses and it can be dangerous. That and buying meat that has been frozen for days if not weeks is not very appealing to me.

Here in Delhi, you can get freshly slaughtered antibiotic free chicken on line. They come chilled and not frozen as they are dispatched within a couple of hours of slaughter.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 10:49   #5232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
so I'm adding vitamins, lysine and calcium alternately in the wet food each morning and she eats without any fuss.
Where do you get lysine separately ? My Vet's prescription Petup contains Lysine amino acid but also contains other combinations. I read somewhere that Lysine is pretty useful for growing pets (humans) and combination tonics don't contain enough Lysine.
Old 15th March 2020, 12:07   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Some great so called human being threw half a brick at chotu and did this.
From what I heard, the attack was unprovoked and was done when chotu had barked while he parked his bike infront of our gate, in 'anticipation' of a bite !
Medication as advised by vet is in progress. Luckily the progress has been good in a couple of days.

On the night of the injury

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200312_212040.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200312_232121.jpg

after a day of medication (antibiotic / NSAID / eye drops)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200313_193537.jpg
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 15:36   #5234
BHPian

Horrible scum who do this. Boiling water, stones, nothing is off the table. Recently the IT park I work at took away the full bunch of less than a week old kittens from their mother and dumped them somewhere. Absolutely hate the actively anti animal tendencies some people have. Sociopaths.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 15:54   #5235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Where do you get lysine separately ? My Vet's prescription Petup contains Lysine amino acid but also contains other combinations.
I use human grade lysine supplement. You can buy from amazon. Just type ProFoods lysine in amazon.in. Comes in a tasteless powder, you can sprinkle a pinch over the food from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Some great so called human being threw half a brick at chotu and did this.
Really nasty. Thank God his eye was safe and he has recovered. The so called human must be really proud of his bravery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks