Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 06:18   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

The injection is stocked at every clinic/hospital, not a big deal. I was bitten 9 months back, while trying to help a stray, ran to the nearest clinic and got those shots. You have to stick to the time-line on those, else it's dangerous
Old 10th February 2020, 09:35   #5177
BHPian

Coco and Cookie after their Sunday bath
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200209_221644_681.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200209_221644_683.jpg
Old 10th February 2020, 10:11   #5178
Distinguished - BHPian

Beauties.

Not sure if cats are meant to have baths regularly if at home all the time. They have a lot of body oils which need to be on them.
Old 10th February 2020, 10:13   #5179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Beauties.

Not sure if cats are meant to have baths regularly if at home all the time. They have a lot of body oils which need to be on them.

Short hair cats definitely don't need a bath. I haven't tried to bathe mine for 3+ years now. He smells better than me. No idea about long hairs.
Old 10th February 2020, 10:22   #5180
BHPian

This bath was after almost 2 months mainly because it has been so cold. Coco (the 2nd one) has long hair which get dirty quickly, especially in our home too many places they can get to. Cookie on the other hand has short hair due to skin infection when he not even 2 months old, his hair now don't get dirty at all as nothing sticks on it.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:05   #5181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
This bath was after almost 2 months mainly because it has been so cold
Frankly, I believe every pet owner knows his pet best. So take this with a pinch of salt!

But I'll have to repeat what the others have mentioned above; even from a long hair cat's perspective! Considering I own one; or rather he owns us

To give context; my cats - one of them being an American Long Hair (looks almost like a persian wrt to hair levels) never have agreed to/required a bath over the last 3+ years; and this has been vetted/validated with vets in the US and India as a good approach except for very specific / less scenarios that bode a need for a bath for the cat(s).

He has parts of his body hair that's white in color (rest is grey) and that turns slight brown visibly as soon as it gets 'dirty'; but he generally grooms himself enough and for the rest of the time expects us to groom him with our brushes. That generally takes care of the 'dirt' on the hair 99% of the time.

I'd suggest getting more opinions from the larger veterinary community apart from the ones you are already in touch (if you wish to).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th February 2020 at 11:09.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:34   #5182
Senior - BHPian

We have never bathed any of our cats ever, except one that got a dipping in an open drain once. The idea of of water is repulsive to them, as is dry shampoo from a spray bottle (which we unsuccessfully tried once).
All of our cats have been free moving, meaning it's on their will they stay outdoors or indoors.
They have never smelled, and generally know quite well to groom themselves.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:38   #5183
BHPian

I agree. I observed the same this time. Coco the one that gets dirty easily stayed relatively clean even though he started to look dirty early on but looked better afterwards as they groom themselves. On top of that the younger one Cookie likes to groom Coco and he enjoys it having not to do it himself

We let them out in the garden where it's muddy. So Coco needs a bath sometimes as some parts of his hair he can't clean himself and as such look more dirtier since he is white.
Old 10th February 2020, 16:40   #5184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Beauties.

Yes, they are magnificent.

I am sure that cats never need bathing. Unless, as above, they fall in a ditch, or get covered in oil, or similar. A good brushing will help them keep themselves clean, and will reduce the amount of fur they ingest (leading to furballs, which they vomit) when grooming.

Confession: I'm lazy about the brushing. My wife grumbles about the amount of fur from our long-hair which gets on everything, and she is right to do so.
Old 10th February 2020, 17:07   #5185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A good brushing will help them keep themselves clean, and will reduce the amount of fur they ingest (leading to furballs, which they vomit) when grooming.

Confession: I'm lazy about the brushing. My wife grumbles about the amount of fur from our long-hair which gets on everything, and she is right to do so.

Is Brushing required only for long hairs or also for short hairs?
Old 10th February 2020, 17:23   #5186
BHPian

Both. They knot less but still shed a lot like my other one. So brushing helps proper removal otherwise like Thad said its all over the house (same case for me haha)
Old 10th February 2020, 20:38   #5187
BHPian

Bathing a cat which does not want to get wet can be a big task and downright dangerous too.
I had a DSH who absolutely hated water, once he got out and had a fight with another cat, both ended up in the drain. So I had to brave his claws and bath him, not without getting a few scratches on my arm.
But with my current bengals, they love water and do not mind getting wet. If I happen to keep the bathroom door open when I bath, at least one would come in under the shower. But they seldom require a proper bath.
Old 11th February 2020, 01:17   #5188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
But with my current bengals, they love water
A distant cell in my brain seems to remember that Bengal cats swim? By choice, that is!

Yes, it is best to brush all cats. Even the short-haird ones have the fine undercoat. Again, do as I say rather than as I do (or rather, don't <Blush>) on this!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th February 2020 at 01:19.
Old 11th February 2020, 06:39   #5189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Yes, it is best to brush all cats. Even the short-haird ones have the fine undercoat. Again, do as I say rather than as I do (or rather, don't <Blush>) on this!

What kind of brush do you use (or are supposed to user) for shorthairs?
Old 11th February 2020, 08:08   #5190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What kind of brush do you use (or are supposed to user) for shorthairs?
You get these glove based brushes. You wear them on and then groom the cat. Works like a massage as well and doesn't hurt the cat because the brush is basically silicone.

Works well. Look it up on the "heads up for tails"website .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks