Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 23:30   #5956
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Lessons learnt -

Don't get in between animal fights, let them calm down then approach them.
Always make sure you're vaccinated !!!
Savings grace is my cat is an indoor cat, and he's fully vaccinated so I'm not worried much. Take care, pet parents !

Here's little devil sleeping peacefully, how am I supposed to be angry at this face !
Attachment 2315432
Very important lesson there. A frightened cat is just about the most dangerous animal you can encounter at home. They have a tendency to jump right at the face with all 10 daggers drawn!

I keep Bengals and have a fairly large group. Plus 4 adult males who need to be kept separate at all times otherwise world war will break out.. and I don't think I can break up a fight without endangering myself.

In your case it is hard to blame the cat, because he probably didn't realize it was you and thought your leg was the outside cat trying to attack him from behind.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2022 at 23:33. Reason: typos
pyrodrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 00:13   #5957
Distinguished - BHPian

Last cat bite I had was for getting between a cat and a mat! The previous two had been more like friendly nips that went wrong.

Check out the rabies first aid, people. If I remember rightly, the protocol is to wash the wound for ten minutes, with soap and water.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:33   #5958
BHPian

My 1 year old GSD is shedding every where and every day (We can even make another small puppy out of his fallen fur :-) ). Every time we take him out for even a short trip, I had to spend about an hour to clean the car :-). The removable seat cover we ordered from Amazon didnt fit well as Ciaz does have a fixed headrest at back.
Any suggestions?
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:51   #5959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
My 1 year old GSD is shedding every where and every day (We can even make another small puppy out of his fallen fur :-) ). Every time we take him out for even a short trip, I had to spend about an hour to clean the car :-). The removable seat cover we ordered from Amazon didnt fit well as Ciaz does have a fixed headrest at back.
Any suggestions?
Not a dog owner, but had a (kind of Persian) cat that shed a lot all year. Brush him. Schedule time on a daily basis to do this. It won't reduce the shedding but it will reduce it by a significant amount. Plus they love to be brushed. So win-win.

Others can chip in with more GSD specific solutions.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 14:40   #5960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My 1 year old GSD is shedding every where and every day (We can even make another small puppy out of his fallen fur :-) ). ... Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Brush him.
Just that! And, really, probably only that.

It is seasonal. I'm surprised it didn't start a few weeks ago when our temperatures shot up: it did with my two cats.

Brushing will be a great help to the animal, as well as to the household. I don't know if it affects dogs as much as cats, but they will not ingest so much fur when they groom themselves. With cats, this leads to vomiting "fur balls" (they are not balls, so I don't know why the name!) which is not very nice.

Most animals love the brushing as well. From my childhood, I remember a family who used to vacuum-clean their dog, and the dog loved it. That would be uncommon, but there is no accounting for the daftness potential of some dogs!

Although it is more important at shedding (moulting) time, you can keep up the brushing regularly all year. The dog will enjoy, and it will help keep the coat in good condition.
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:26   #5961
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Others have suggested, buy a decent quality de shedding brush for your dog and use it daily, that will help greatly. I would suggest to put any bedsheets or your dog's bedding (if it fits) inside your car when you take him out, that way you'll need not worry about your car interior. There are certain shampoos available too but I won't recommend them unless consulted with the vet. Also can we see your GSD ? You gotta pay the 'Pet tax' as is the tradition in this thread !
Akshay6988 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 17:18   #5962
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
We have similar situation with our Labrador retriever especially during shedding cycles.
My two cents on the same are as under:

1. Daily brushing at home in morning by a good brush, try Kong zoomgroom it works wonders.

2. The Amazon basics hammock like pet cover, use that. For fixed headrest you can still hang it on the rear fixed head-rest and then support it with something like the back seat release vertical lever (not sure if Ciaz has that )

3. The above two things will contain the hair fall spread to a great extent and only the pet seat cover needs to be cleaned.

This wont be 100% pet hair proof solution and you would still have hair in the car but that would be minimal based on my experience

Hope this helps.
diablo29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 09:41   #5963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Don't get in between animal fights, let them calm down then approach them.
A similar incident happened with me . When my first dog was a small pup ( Around 4-6 months old ) , I was crossing the park in my sector to go towards the other side of my sector and inside the park i saw my friend and went to meet him . I put my pup down ( as i was tired of carrying him ) and the first thing he did was to grab socks out of someone's shoes in the park .

There were karate classes going on and all the students had removed their shoes and socks . My pup now had grabbed some poor kid's socks and he wasn't leaving it . In the moment of panic i caught him and opened his mouth and got
the socks out of his mouth . My pup was constantly growling and as i took the socks out of his mouth ,he bit me .

I was lucky that his full pair of teeth had not grown then ( Though they were really sharp) and it just caused a small bite mark , but it did pain very much .

So never ever , mostly in case of small pups try to snatch something from their mouth when they are growling ( in my case a dirty sock ) .

Always try to bring some doggo treats with you when you are going out so you can batter the thing in your dogs mouth with those doggo treats ( Helpful in case of small naive puppies)

My pup was vaccinated so it didn't cause me any infection ( The vet said so ) , I just washed the small wound and applied antiseptic on it .

Vaccination and understanding your dogs behaviour is really neccesary.

Signing off with a picture of him ( As a 9 month old )

Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot_202206050930532.png
Hawk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 16:22   #5964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
... My pup was constantly growling and as i took the socks out of his mouth ,he bit me .

I was lucky that his full pair of teeth had not grown then ( Though they were really sharp) and it just caused a small bite mark , but it did pain very much .
I learnt as a child about puppy teeth, from a playful nip. Those teeth are like needles!

Cats' teeth stay like needles. One can hardly see the mark where their "canine" teeth plunged into one's flesh, but they certainly did.

If removing anything from animal's mouth, I think (I am no expert, though I guess I've done it a few times) that forcing the jaw open is the key.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 18:04   #5965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If removing anything from animal's mouth, I think (I am no expert, though I guess I've done it a few times) that forcing the jaw open is the key.
Thats what i did , that is why i got bit , as the sock came out and my hand went in .

He was quite strong and really fast so i had to use both my hands to open his mouth , I didn't even get 1 second to react and he bit me .

He got scared after biting me and that was the only time he bit me . Rest of the time he was a quite calm and good doggo .
Hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 00:33   #5966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i did , that is why i got bit , as the sock came out and my hand went in .

He was quite strong and really fast so i had to use both my hands to open his mouth , I didn't even get 1 second to react and he bit me .
They are fast! And I totally underestimated the speed and strength, even after a couple of days of not eating, of my cat, when trying to hold him, at the top of a ladder. I might have posted that story recently, but in short: cat delivered a blood-drawing swipe to my head before effortlessly escaping the best grip I could manage.

He did not go to the vet: I did go for rabies and tetanus jabs.

Quote:
He got scared after biting me
Might have been thinking, "Oh My God I actually just bit somebody!"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:59   #5967
BHPian

Quote:

So never ever , mostly in case of small pups try to snatch something from their mouth when they are growling ( in my case a dirty sock ) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

As Thad says, removing anything from the mouth of a pet is to open the jaws by squeezing the outside of the lower jaws in a vice like grip. That way h/she won't be able to bite your hand. The grip is the key here. A soft grip would allow the pet sufficient room to wring its head away and damage your hand in the process.

I have done this multiple times with my German Shepherds and cats. Even a brush by their canine teeth can be very painful. Big dogs know their strength and the crushing bite they can inflict on us and so they are very careful.

I have fed sick animals and I know from experience that their lips are so sensitive that they can differentiate between your fingers and the bone you are feeding.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:02   #5968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As Thad says, removing anything from the mouth of a pet is to open the jaws by squeezing the outside of the lower jaws in a vice like grip. That way h/she won't be able to bite your hand. The grip is the key here. A soft grip would allow the pet sufficient room to wring its head away and damage your hand in the process.
Doesn't pressing on the lower jaw damage the inner linings of the cheek?

Asking because, we have a temperamental daschund who may choose to listens to the"No" or "Drop it" commands based on his whims.
During the odd occasion he doesn't listen, I snap open the jaw by leveraging the small handhold in the gumline - between the upper canine teeth and the ?pre-molar? Opening his tiny mouth this way needs an unreal amount of finger and wrist strength.
As you mention, once can actually feel him loosening/adjusting the grip once my hand is in the mouth, still, would be safer if I can learn a method to keep myself out of harm's way, without hurting the dog.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:13   #5969
Distinguished - BHPian

Not much experience with dogs since leaving home fifty years ago!

With cats, I squeeze with finger and thumb just ahead of the jaw joint, back of the mouth. I've never thought of checking if this is the "correct" way to do it! It is always going to be for something they do not want, whether it is putting something in or taking something out of their mouths, so they are always going to resist, but I'm pretty sure that I never actually hurt an animal when doing this.

Also have done similar with birds. Trying to help an injured parakeet can prove painful, and it might need more than gentle encouragement to let go!
Old 6th June 2022, 13:33   #5970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Doesn't pressing on the lower jaw damage the inner linings of the cheek?

As you mention, once can actually feel him loosening/adjusting the grip once my hand is in the mouth, still, would be safer if I can learn a method to keep myself out of harm's way, without hurting the dog.
The pressure you exert depends on the size of the animal. You apply sufficient pressure with your fingers and as long as the pet doesn't shriek in pain. It needs a little practice I agree. In all these years I have never injured any pet.
With cats it is a different story. Yes you can extract something from its jaws all right. But after that, she can still leave you in ER. I was mauled by a 9 month old kitten when I tried to give her a tablet.

Before you perform a Heimlich maneuver on the tiny monster, book a bed in Emergency Room.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks