Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 15:43   #5536
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Please meet our family member who is turning 6. She's a stray Indian mongrel, but lives in our house 90% of the time. We've been housing three of her generations. Her grandmother, father, and herself were born inside our compound. At one point, we were having close to 6 strays inside our compound.

Pic taken on one of our recent late night 'tea' drives.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-t_bhp.jpg

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:48   #5537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Please meet our family member who is turning 6.

Cheers!
Gandalf the grey your furry friend is very cute and looks very happy in the company of her family, many cheers to you and your family for caring and looking after stray dogs for so many years, might i suggest to get her neutered so that the family doesn't increase any further. God bless you
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:44   #5538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
We struggle with Tipsy in winter to make him wear something warm around him, the moment we put it on he goes into limp mode.

What to do, any suggestions?
Yes. Don't do it!

You are projecting your feelings about the climate on the dog, but you do not have a wonderful built-in coat of fur which the animal itself adjusts by growing/moulting and by standing up more or less to trap more or less air.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:10   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Gandalf the grey your furry friend is very cute and looks very happy in the company of her family, many cheers to you and your family for caring and looking after stray dogs for so many years, might i suggest to get her neutered so that the family doesn't increase any further. God bless you
Thank you for the wishes and kind words, yesyeswe. She's currently pregnant, and we're waiting for her to give birth so that one of her off-springs can take her family legacy ahead. She has given birth thrice so far in the last 6 years, around 14 pups in total, and unfortunately only 2 have survived among the 14. Those two also have grown up, and migrated to next streets. So once we have this lot, we'll surely neuter her.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:43   #5540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes. Don't do it!

You are projecting your feelings about the climate on the dog, but you do not have a wonderful built-in coat of fur which the animal itself adjusts by growing/moulting and by standing up more or less to trap more or less air.
That's a nice observation, up North it becomes biting cold in the night's, and we have friends and neighbours in our colony, who have something warm for their canines without issues, so the question.
Old 8th December 2020, 21:44   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice observation, up North it becomes biting cold in the night's
A nice and cozy bed shall solve the purpose if you're concerned about cold nights. Most dogs feel uncomfortable with clothes that wrap around their front legs. Try something that goes around the dog's neck (like a collar) and covers the back. Cut any excess part of the clothing that touches the front legs and tummy area.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:53   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
A nice and cozy bed shall solve the purpose if you're concerned about cold nights. Most dogs feel uncomfortable with clothes that wrap around their front legs. Try something that goes around the dog's neck (like a collar) and covers the back. Cut any excess part of the clothing that touches the front legs and tummy area.
Here goes, Tipsy's King bed
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201208_215035.jpg
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 00:07   #5543
Distinguished - BHPian

That bed looks plenty!
Quote:
That's a nice observation, up North it becomes biting cold in the night's, and we have friends and neighbours in our colony, who have something warm for their canines without issues, so the question.
Understood that your climate is much colder in the winter (and hotter in the summer!) than here, but my doggie days were my British childhood. My mum never put any cloth at all on any of her dogs, however much frost and snow there was.

It may well be that some dogs mind, and some dogs don't mind. I don't think that there is a need, and if your dog minds, let it be. Looks like a cosy bed, and it is not outdoors.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:40   #5544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That bed looks plenty!

Understood that your climate is much colder in the winter (and hotter in the summer!) than here, but my doggie days were my British childhood. My mum never put any cloth at all on any of her dogs, however much frost and snow there was.

It may well be that some dogs mind, and some dogs don't mind. I don't think that there is a need, and if your dog minds, let it be. Looks like a cosy bed, and it is not outdoors.
For the first 14 years of his life, Leo - our Labrador refused any coat or blanket at night, immaterial of how cold the Delhi nights got. Now at 15 1/2 he has started feeling the cold and wants a warm covering when he sleeps.

So on the whole dogs rarely require any covering (as they are born with an insulating coat), but with age they like humans start feeling cold.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 19:30   #5545
BHPian

Hello members,
Need suggestions and guidance. We plan to travel by air from namma Bengaluru to saddi Delhi later this month. I understand only Air India provides the option of flying one's pet.
We will travel with our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel pup. She has been properly inoculated and we'll get a letter from a vet as well before travel.

Any pointers/ suggestions/ advice/ caveats is welcome. If anyone has undertaken a similar journey, the experience will be really useful. No advice is small enough. TIA.
Old 9th December 2020, 20:27   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Hello members,
Need suggestions and guidance. We plan to travel by air from namma Bengaluru to saddi Delhi later this month. I understand only Air India provides the option of flying one's pet.
We will travel with our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel pup. She has been properly inoculated and we'll get a letter from a vet as well before travel.

Any pointers/ suggestions/ advice/ caveats is welcome. If anyone has undertaken a similar journey, the experience will be really useful. No advice is small enough. TIA.
I got my Labrador from Chicago to Helsinki in the same flight as mine. He came in the Cargo along with other baggage. Because of the size, your pup may be eligible to travel with you in the main deck. However, it's totally up to the Airline rules. One thing common though is to give your Dog Anti-Anxiety pills. That is the only thing to take care of. It's a short flight and you will need nothing else.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:24   #5547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Search and thy query shall be answered!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ationally.html (Transporting Pets within India or internationally)
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:01   #5548
BHPian

Hi @ValarMorghulis please try to ensure that the pup is in the cabin. I don't want you to worry but have read about many cases where animals die in the cargo hold due to ill maintained temperature control. Sorry if this is not the advice you were looking for, but if possible do a car trip.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 9th December 2020 at 22:05.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:19   #5549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello members,

I don't have cats or dogs but my sister is a great one for the four legged kind and if she and her husband have to travel with their cat(s) they always book themselves in first class AC and take the animal in the cabin with them. It seems to have worked well for them for decades.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:35   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
...One thing common though is to give your Dog Anti-Anxiety pills...
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hey! Thanks a ton for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi @ValarMorghulis please try to ensure that the pup is in the cabin...
Thanks for the suggestion but she is now around 7kgs and beyond the cabin weight limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...first class AC and take the animal in the cabin with them. It seems to have worked well for them for decades.
This is a really nice idea. Will explore this for sure. Thanks again.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks