Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 09:55   #5731
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Cooking meat removes most of the taurine from the meat.
In truth, the statement should really say: “cooking meat lightly does not significantly affect taurine levels; over cooking meat destroys not only taurine levels, but other health benefits of real food.” Source: https://healthypawsibilities.com/why...-in-cat-foods/
Old 8th July 2021, 10:30   #5732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
...but dogs are simply doing what their DNA is hardwired for as a reflex survival mechanism.
Unfortunately very true. Lost a couple of neighborhood cats we had become quite attached to because of stray dogs. The instinct is so strong to attack, a couple of strays jumped the wall to get into our house and scratched and dented our car to get at the kittens hiding inside. (18k repair bill, btw.) (Also big thanks to the brilliant designers at Maruti for leaving out the underbody protection on the new Swift so that kittens can hide inside the engine bay! )

Getting used to life with occasional visits by stray cats. We give them the occasional meal, they rub up against us pretending to care and sometimes spend a couple of hours graciously agreeing to sleep on the couch. Always leave by nightfall. Even got a couple of them neutered and nursed one back to health after it had been attacked (by a dog or a male cat).

Have always had dogs since I was a kid, loved them but must say enjoying life without one for the past few years. Can travel without a second thought! For sure will have dogs again, we're definitely 'dog people', but for now, stray cats fulfill the pet role nicely. Sad when they don't show up sometimes, but mentally prepared because stray cats really do lead precarious lives, so that can happen anytime.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:00   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Unfortunately very true. Lost a couple of neighborhood cats we had become quite attached to because of stray dogs. The instinct is so strong to attack, a couple of strays jumped the wall to get into our house and scratched and dented our car to get at the kittens hiding inside. (18k repair bill, btw.) (Also big thanks to the brilliant designers at Maruti for leaving out the underbody protection on the new Swift so that kittens can hide inside the engine bay! )

Getting used to life with occasional visits by stray cats. We give them the occasional meal, they rub up against us pretending to care and sometimes spend a couple of hours graciously agreeing to sleep on the couch. Always leave by nightfall. Even got a couple of them neutered and nursed one back to health after it had been attacked (by a dog or a male cat).

Have always had dogs since I was a kid, loved them but must say enjoying life without one for the past few years. Can travel without a second thought! For sure will have dogs again, we're definitely 'dog people', but for now, stray cats fulfill the pet role nicely. Sad when they don't show up sometimes, but mentally prepared because stray cats really do lead precarious lives, so that can happen anytime.
Forget dogs. Even tomcats attack, kill, and even eat kittens.

Theories are that it's again propagation of their own line versus that of another tom.

And (this one I'm not convinced by) a way to get the female back in estrous by killing all her kittens so that she stops lactating, and the hormonal cycles get back on even keel.

I've never seen dogs doing that.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:10   #5734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Forget dogs. Even tomcats attack, kill, and even eat kittens.

Theories are that it's again propagation of their own line versus that of another tom.

And (this one I'm not convinced by) a way to get the female back in estrous by killing all her kittens so that she stops lactating, and the hormonal cycles get back on even keel.

I've never seen dogs doing that.

Cheers, Doc
Its all 100% true and every cat right from lions and tigers to your tomcats do this.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:16   #5735
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post

This and Purepet which came as suggestions on Amazon both seem to have some good and some horrible reviews (multiple cats dying!?). A lot of people also say cats throw up after this.
My cat is eating Meat-up since the time it started selling in Amazon (2 years?). Not thrown up once. Not died even once.

However, dry food forms around 25-30% of his meals. Rest of his meals are Boiled Chicken Liver & Whiskas Wet Food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In truth, the statement should really say: “cooking meat lightly does not significantly affect taurine levels; over cooking meat destroys not only taurine levels, but other health benefits of real food.” Source: https://healthypawsibilities.com/why...-in-cat-foods/
The comment was in the context of feeding cats with human food (left over chicken etc). In India, most people don't cook meat lightly. Even abroad, everything is not light cooking.

The story of how taurine deficiency problems was discovered in cats also shows this. Earlier, cat never used to live inside the homes as pets or fed regularly. Humans kept cats for killing vermin in farms. Then in the 70s & 80s, as people started keeping cats as pets in homes & feeding them all their meals, suddenly many cats started having heart problems which was traced to taurine deficiency caused by home cooked food.

Last edited by carboy : 8th July 2021 at 12:21.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 17:30   #5736
BHPian

After the tragic demise of my cat last month, I wasn't sure if I could have another pet. On last Wednesday, our housemaid lady told me that there are two kittens roaming around the society since few days and she and her kids were looking after these kittens at their best. I asked her to bring them both to my home at earliest. She was able to get hold of only one kitten, another one ran away. I'm sure these kittens are of my cat's only, as there was no other cat around the area who gave birth and this kitten's fur pattern and color matches to that of my cat.( I could be wrong here but it's my wishful thinking ) Here he's in my home on Wednesday (30th July) Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210629_153611.jpg
He was very tiny, skinny and covered in some ink type substance, it was all over his tummy, back and tail. On first day I just kept some food and a box with some old clothes for him to get used to. He'd go and hide under the couch whenever I approached him. Another day also went like this. Then he slowly started to roam around the house, sniffing and biting everything he saw in his way . I got him a litter tray and litter, as I don't want him to venture out of the home alone. I was apprehensive how he would react but the moment I put the box near him, he jumped in and did the business !

I don't know his exact age but he could be 2 - 2.5 months old, given my cat's arrival time at my home. I've been feeding him wet and dry food mixed. I've not yet given him meat, I don't know if he can bite meat easily. We wanted to adopt a puppy but it seems that cats are owning us

Attachment 2177452

Some quick questions to you guys, I noticed some fleas on his fur, so I got him Dr Venkys Anti Tick and anti flea powder from a pet clinic. Vet didn't say anything about how frequently to apply the powder. The instructions on the bottle says to apply once in a week. Will it be OK to do so?
Another question is at what age, should I get him neutered ?
And one more stupid question, how do I get him to stop biting my toes ?
Here he's 10 days later, casually chilling out.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210707_183254.jpg  

Akshay6988 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 17:55   #5737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
After the tragic demise of my cat last month, I wasn't sure if I could have another pet. .
Good to know and hope that this is one of the kittens from your beloved cat. The cycle of life is really brutal for such animals and you can just do your best by helping them in their youth so that they can become adults and safe.
I have also gone thru a similar experience some time back.. one of the female cats near our home had three kittens and they used to come to our house regularly to play. All was well for 1 month but one day she took her kittens to the area in front of our house which is dominated by stray dogs. These stray dogs killed all three kittens and we really felt very bad for a month.. but dogs and cats in India are mortal enemies as there is a dearth of food. Surprisingly in many places where there is abundant food, I have seen them coexisting happily with each other too. I am a person who loves Cats and dogs equally and currently have a pup of 4 months old who is growing up fast. I have also kept cats in the past but they seem to want to run off and not be tied down to one home. Like they say - you can own a dog, but a cat will own you! Take care of the kitten!

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th July 2021 at 17:57.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 19:22   #5738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
you don't.

Congratulations on the new feline friend. I have never kept a cat indoors, but it sounds as if there is good reason for you to. Hmmm... given my losses, I suppose there is good reason for me too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:09   #5739
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know his exact age but he could be 2 - 2.5 months old, given my cat's arrival time at my home. I've been feeding him wet and dry food mixed.
Another question is at what age, should I get him neutered ?
There is a rough estimate of measuring the age of a kitten by the weight. The 'local' type will weigh approximately 300 gm per month. Pure bred might weigh about 400 gm for the same period. If your kitten weighs 900 gm you can say it is about 3 months old.

You should neuter/spay when it reaches a couple of months. Don't delay beyond 6 months.

It may not bite actually but it is a sort of nibbling. This is part of playing for them.They will raise their back and strike at your feet and then run away - all part of cat play.

If it bites your toes or fingers actually or tries to strike at your eyes ( some may try this stunt to their detriment) , be firm and say 'No' in a loud voice. If it doesn't work after a few attempts, then strike its snout with your finger lightly like striking carom board. They eventually get over this when they mature.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:42   #5740
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't mind being chewed by cats.

If you watch them play fight, you can observe that when something hurts, they squeal, and the mother, or other cat, will stop it. It is a basic way in which you can talk to a cat in its own language.

Cat skin is pretty tough, so they think ours is too. They don't expect their gentle stuff to hurt: let them know when it does. They'll let go. Unless they are actually really annoyed, in which case they'll bite harder!

Children: make sure that children know that animals have claws and teeth and use them. Children will often push an animal beyond really annoyed, and get what they deserve. If they want to play with the animals, this is how it is. No sympathy for the scratches.

Eyes: do take care of eyes. don't invite a cat to bat you on the face.

Cats kill things. Even inanimate things in the house. They really go for it. A few months ago I got a cat tooth deep in the hand because i got it between the cat and the mat she was murdering. I didn't blame the cat.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:43   #5741
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, I don’t have much knowledge or experience with cats, but we were looking after a stray for sometime in my building. I was informed by experienced people to give her an anti-rabies shot for our safety. I would suggest you check and get it done soonest for your family and your safety.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th July 2021 at 21:45.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 01:45   #5742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I was informed by experienced people to give her an anti-rabies shot for our safety.

I meant to mention this as part of my cats will scratch post. Get the cat inoculated.

As you seem to be animal folk (now if not before!) I strongly suggest you all get rabies jabs too. Get a course, and then an annual booster.

You're going to know your animal is healthy, so there isn't mush risk from the regular light scratches, but on three occasions that I've been really bitten by one of my cats, I've gone straight for the jabs. One cat was semi wild, so some risk, and even the latest is inoculated and domestic, I'd rather be sure than dead!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 03:08   #5743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here he's in my home on Wednesday (30th July)
Congrats on getting to be a cat slave again.

I would put him around 3 months but a vet can tell you that.

A few steps over the next few months
1. Give him a good wash (enough videos on this) and instead of the flea powder get him antiflea drops - a vet will only have supplies. Costs around a few hundreds, works much better
2. Anytime now to next 2 months, get him to a vet to give him "3-way vaccine," which contains agents against feline calicivirus, herpesvirus and feline panleukopenia (FRCP), all given in one shot. A booster dose would be planned in a few weeks, which is necessary.
3. An anti-rabies shot too. This is better to be safe, more for us than him.
4. Neutering from 6 month period. To be honest, he can be neutered right from 4th month and the earlier you do is better because he'll get into his mating hormone cycles by the 6th or 7th month.

That's all one needs for life. The doctors will push you for annual shots etc but that's not needed.

As for the biting thing, he's playing with you. The easiest solution is to get another kitten and they'll do it together than you in a way, he's already confirmed you are family if he's doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Cats kill things.
And they also bring half eaten animals or birds as a gift to the human
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:19   #5744
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a minimum age (probably body weight actually) for the one-drop flea treatment. It is available from our pet shop, and I do not need to go to the vet.

Regular warning: if shopping for one-drop flea treatment, Beware! The version used for dogs is lethal to cats. Double check the pack and the instructions, even if it came from a vet.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 09:47   #5745
Distinguished - BHPian

Pet traders and owners (/others) can no longer keep birds in cages

This is a good more in the right direction. Although I wonder how the execution of this is going to be handled over the next few months/year(s) as this is not going to be an easy feat, especially for the birds that have already been caged for a long period. A cynical part of me says considering there have been rulings supporting this in the past and no major change on ground, this particular decision also might not make much of a change. Posting it here so bhpians can take an informed decision (if one had been evaluating to keep a pet bird).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-e7rmbkcviaqiw36.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks