Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 12:16   #5641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Can you help me with the ideal age range in which to adopt the puppy. Member Behemoth says 35-60 days which is 5 to 8/9 weeks. Member vishy76 says 35 to 38 weeks old. I assume both answers are correct in their own way. I read that for proper immunity development the puppies should get mothers milk till they are 8 weeks old. Please can I request for some more guidance here.
+1. I'll check them out.
Welcome Narayan!
Happy to help out a fellow tbhpian and animal lover. Your Aquarium is also lovely and the way that you have taken care of your aquarium, I am sure you will take very good care of your dog too.

On the adoption age for puppies, I think member Vishy meant days and typed weeks wrongly. The correct age is actually 35 days +. But you can be a little flexible by a few days (if you find the right pup). They just need a little more care when younger (we got our Milo at 4 weeks old), but they grow up fast and before you know it they are all grown up and taking care of you instead of you taking care of them! The first dog year is equal to 14 human years in terms of maturity and thereafter every year is 7 years.
On the loneliness aspect, most breeds are happy with any human presence in the house, not necessarily primary care giver. Only a few breeds like German shepherds are strongly attached mainly to their primary care giver. Most Indie dogs are happy with any family member and equally loving with all.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:37   #5642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
So I fed her some more, but she left without eating much of it.
We do have chicken on the weekends, I'll get some for her as well.
I'm thinking of getting her dried tiny prawns (sukkat) and dry bombay duck. Hope she likes it.
Lovely! If you plan on feeding her regularly, then her intake will get more streamlined over the next few days. The above experience is her making the best of any chance she gets. But chances are you are already identified as the primary food giver so expect her to be at your doorstep daily.

For instance when I started feeding the mother cat in our apartment, within a few days the below image illustrated our situation on a daily basis - this is the mother cat and her two kittens waiting outside our door - patiently, for me to come out and give them food.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-pxl_20210209_130523401.jpg

Quote:
Here are you referring to lonely without the prime care giver {in this case me} or lonely without any human in the flat. We usually have at least one human in the flat given that we have two aged folks living with us.
A few recent experiences of 'leaving' our pets alone if it helps. I have two cats in my house@Mumbai, while we have a dog & two cats in our hometown. We are a fairly traveling family so we have encountered several cases of leaving the pets home (alone).

Only Cats: We leave the cats with sufficient food & water supplies upto 3 days. Done that several times, no issues faced. The cats play around and sleep (/etc) and show minimal impact of our absence. For trips > 3 days, we ask our maid and/or a pet sitter to spend an hour in the house and resupply the food & water as well as play with them. This works extremely well and we have gone upto ~10 day trips. (if anyone needs references for pet sitters in Mumbai, please drop me a note)

Dogs: Dogs are a bit more tricky. Recently we all had to go to another city for a special event and the pets had to be left alone for ~3 days. Our household help had keys to the house and we had asked her to stay in our house during that period. Although the dog showed more remorse than my cats did during this period, he was back to his normal self after my family returned home.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:23   #5643
BHPian

So one of our colony stray dogs got into serious trouble. The fellow got his head stuck into a plastic jar (the ones used to store candies in shops) on Sunday in early hours. This one is a shy dog and doesn't like allow people to pet him. Even when I feed him he maintains a feet long distance but never comes close. This has created big challenge for me as I wanted to take that jar off. Sunday early morning he came close to me but by the time I could catch he slipped away. My neighbor and me laid a trap and caught him by a very slim rope, I got barely 5 seconds to get that thing off but the rope snapped and he ran away again.

Called 1962 which is a toll free Government of Telangana ambulance service for animals. They declined to come as they deal only with medical services.
Called 'People for Animals' Hyderabad and was given number of an NGO called as 'Animal Warriors Conversations Society'. I immediately called the number and a gentlemen named Manish answered my call and patiently heard me. He asked me not to worry as they have come across lot of such cases and dogs can survive without water or food for a brief period . He asked me to share pictures and he would arrange someone post that. I tried a lot to get a picture but the dog kept wandering places and I could only manage to click around 6 pm. Shared the pics and Manish said since the curfew has started he can arrange rescue only the following day.

Day 2 : A young gentlemen named Anirudh called me and reached my place at 2 pm. As it was afternoon the dog was no where to seen. We searched for one hour and this being our colony dog i knew all the placed where it would be but couldn't get a sight of it. Anirudh had to go for another rescue and asked me to call the following day when I see the dog again

Day 3 : I parked my car outside so the dog can take shelter under it and will be easy for us when the volunteers come for rescue. Anirudh did come at 3 pm with three more team members. Luckily we were able to find the dog. For a dog in that situation it made 6 of us run behind it and after 30 minutes they managed to catch it. It took them 5 seconds to get the jar off the head. I was so relived and so where the volunteers.

For these 3 days me and my colony members were so worried for the poor one, it didn't even get to have water and I wonder how it could survive in this hot summer. All of us were relieved .

Special thanks to the 'Animal Warriors Conversation Society' Hyderabad team, Mr.Manish for patiently answering all my fanatic calls and Mr.Anirudh for leading the rescue and not giving up. I am mightily impressed with them. They have rescues everyday in the nook and corner of Hyderabad and they volunteer for these rescues.

If anybody related to them reading this post, big THANK YOU for all that you do.

Pic with the jar (apologies for the poor quality, the dog was restless throughout these three days):
Team-BHPians and their Pets-7fd722704a874379acab1165f9ba8420.jpg

The rescue team (Animal Warriors). Tallest gentlemen is Mr.Anirudh who lead the rescue.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6781.jpg

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 29th April 2021 at 19:26.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 14:57   #5644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lovely! If you plan on feeding her regularly, then her intake will get more streamlined over the next few days. The above experience is her making the best of any chance she gets. But chances are you are already identified as the primary food giver so expect her to be at your doorstep daily.
I've been feeding her whiskas wet food (which she absolutely loves!) and dry food (which she doesn't like much but she eats) almost 3 times a day. Regarding giving her milk, I gave it to her in small quantities but she kept asking for more milk. She's been coming in my home, wandering and looking at different places inside home. I noticed she has some trouble breathing, she makes a rattling noise when breathing. And there is some sort of hump (swell) on her stomach right side. You can see it in picture. I don't know what to do about it.Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210501_144019.jpg
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 18:20   #5645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... she makes a rattling noise when breathing. ... ... ...
Probably a stupid question, but I don't know how much you've mixed with cats in the past: are you familiar with cats purring? Some cats don't purr at all, some do a lot, and they have different sounds. Some might well sound like a rattling noise.

It could be that you have made her very happy! Or, it could be that she is seriously ill. I do hope for the former. I don't like the sound of the lump.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:09   #5646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been feeding her whiskas wet food (which she absolutely loves!) and dry food (which she doesn't like much but she eats) almost 3 times a day. Regarding giving her milk, I gave it to her in small quantities but she kept asking for more milk. She's been coming in my home, wandering and looking at different places inside home. I noticed she has some trouble breathing, she makes a rattling noise when breathing. And there is some sort of hump (swell) on her stomach right side. You can see it in picture. I don't know what to do about it.Attachment 2151078
To me it looks like the cat has had an accident and has a fractured rib which may have punctured her lung. That is a really sad condition and she may need medical intervention to survive. If possible try to have an animal ngo look after her, but as she has kittens , she will not want to go.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:31   #5647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
To me it looks like the cat has had an accident and has a fractured rib which may have punctured her lung. That is a really sad condition and she may need medical intervention to survive.
Vital. A cat of mine had an injury of unknown cause that severely damaged her ribcage so that it became concave. The vet was actually amazed that she survived, which, with his help, she did.

I agree that she needs a knowledgable eye looking at her. Either at a clinic, or calling a mobile vet service out. Google maps might inform if you have such a thing nearby.

Wishing her well..
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:34   #5648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
To me it looks like the cat has had an accident and has a fractured rib which may have punctured her lung. That is a really sad condition and she may need medical intervention to survive. If possible try to have an animal ngo look after her, but as she has kittens , she will not want to go.
I will try to contact with a vet if possible and diagnose her condition. It feels like a lump when I'm rubbing her belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Probably a stupid question, but I don't know how much you've mixed with cats in the past: are you familiar with cats purring? Some cats don't purr at all, some do a lot, and they have different sounds. Some might well sound like a rattling noise.

It could be that you have made her very happy! Or, it could be that she is seriously ill. I do hope for the former. I don't like the sound of the lump.
Sir I did not have any interaction with cats earlier. This is the first time a cat has chosen me Though she makes that sound, I don't find her struggling to breath. And her movement also seems normal. So I am also hoping that she's just purring out of joy. I will try to record her when she's sitting idle post her heavy meals
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:19   #5649
BHPian

Quote:
I've a question for cat owners here. There's a stray cat in my society, I am
And after two weeks of love and care, she looks like this now :Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210509_142856.jpg
I'm feeding her whiskas dry and wet food mixed together daily and cooked chicken on weekends. Her food intake has become regular , now that she knows she'll get food. Hope she brings her kitten also !
Meanwhile this little fellow is coming at my door recently (male cat). I've been feeding him as well but he's very timid, he just runs away whenever he sees me.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210506_181821.jpg
Akshay6988 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:59   #5650
BHPian

I just love cats and I honestly believe they are great stress-busters! My pets have interesting names as well.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20210503_104432.jpg
My Calico cat, PAPPU, resting on my daughter's cuddly toys

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200919_10115001.jpeg
PAPPU with PK

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191103_07125701.jpeg
And this is PB

I remember, we once had 7 cats in our household!
Emvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 18:27   #5651
Distinguished - BHPian

I am told that relative to dogs managing a cat is a dream and that they need minimum taking care of, no walking them out for their ablutions etc. My sister has kept a cat, or a series of them, for decades. Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:40   #5652

She is Dora, a persian cat. Because of the thick fur she tends to get uncomfortable during summers, yet she is well behaved and loved by everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210424_112208_bokeh.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210326_144808_bokeh.jpg  

the.shivaraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:47   #5653
BHPian

Quote:
I am told that relative to dogs managing a cat is a dream and that they need minimum taking care of, no walking them out for their ablutions etc. My sister has kept a cat, or a series of them, for decades. Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
Yes, what you have been told is right broadly speaking. The adage "Dog is man's best friend" is no doubt true. If you ask me, cats are not far behind. Probably, "Cat is man's second best friend"
Cats need minimum care but no less attention. I must confess one thing though. Travelling in a car with cats/cat is what I avoid. Cats are generally claustrophobic and have a tendency to turn hostile. I have experienced this a couple of times. In case of minor ailments, cats generally take good care of themselves and human intervention is mostly not needed. Hope this helps
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 00:58   #5654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I would be grateful for your views.
Dogs have owners; cats have staff.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 02:13   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I always felt dogs are more friendly, loyal, cute and fun. I would be grateful for your views.
All dog owners would agree to this statement, and I think most cat owners too.
But cats can be sweet, affectionate and caring as well. Anyway, keeping aside anecdotal and personal opinions let's come to some research.

I recently read this study. It can explain why dogs are friendly, loyal, attention seeking and codependent on us.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/r...re-so-friendly

TLDR : they're wired like that. Humans with that particular genetic condition also have similar behavioural traits
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks