Chandigarh 19 10.44%
None of the above 11 6.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 22:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod
Suprising results...I went with bangalore .I'd guess in the metros..traffic situatin is pretty bad as far as chennai and delhi are concerned....although its a lot worse in bangalore. Corruptoin is probably high everywhere. But the reason I preferred bangalore is for its climate, FDI, software employment, peace of mind. I know delhi and chennai pretty well and it is pretty chaotic there...so bang seems to be the best right now
How can you say all that without having lived in BLR??

As for me I'd go for Delhi/Noida. For pretty much the reasons outlined by TSK. And also the winters whcih are the best season in Delhi IMO.
Old 3rd April 2006, 23:47   #32
BHPian

Gurgaon may be expensive and may have no public transport, But i'd still rate it as the best place to live in terms of sheer quality of life...
If you live in New Gurgaon that is,
Old 4th April 2006, 00:19   #33
BHPian

Hyderabad it is, for me. Yeah sure, I'm a Hyderabadi as well.

The rate of development is a little alarming though and it won't be long before the Bangalore story is rewritten here, unless some radical thinking is employed. Fast.

Should you choose to live here, suburban life is the way to go, provided you choose carefully. The city center is far too choked. There aren't too many 'main' roads within, and the roads that do exist are hemmed in because of a Lake and the airport bang in the middle, punctuated by railway lines. The 'planned development' is to be taken with a pinch of salt though - I would do a whole lot better at planning than those seemingly retarded town planner boffins.

Here's my take:

1> Infrastructure.
Getting there, could do better. Limitations exist within the existing city framework.
2> Cost of Living.
Lower than most. Living in an apartment has now become the norm though.
3> Traffic Conditions.
Pathetic on the main city roads during peak time, w.r.t. volume. Traffic violations are common. The average Hyderabadi motorist can sometimes be likened to a buffalo. (I hope some of those APS RTC and Auto Drivers' unions are tuned in!)
4> Weather and Climate.
Hot during summers, make no mistake about this one. It is the so called 'dry heat' though. When it rains, it pours and winters are really pleasant.
5> Water Table Index.
This is where this city may score among the lowest. Water is precious here and most Hyderabadis have never heard of 24*7 water from their taps. The water table falls at an alarming rate when measured every few years. This city is very dependant on the monsoon.
6> Corruption.
As bad as the next, with the cops perhaps being among the more corrupt. Change is in the air, but corruption will probably be the last to go/reduce/change.
7> Peace of Mind.
While curfew due to communal rioting was common in my youth, that seems to have become something of the past over the last decade or more. Volatility does exist in the Old city though.
8> Attractive Investments from FDI.
Here is where this city ranks among the best, especially when comparing rate of growth.
9> Employment Opportunities in Software Industry.
No need to expand on this one.
Old 4th April 2006, 08:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Bombay probably ranks lowest on these, but I just cant imagine living any place else. Whether in India or overseas. For me, Bombay it is.

GTO
Bombay is in a class of it's own.
Old 4th April 2006, 12:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Bombay is in a class of it's own.
Hey folks, tell us something about Navi-Mumbai.. New Bombay was supposed to be THE city of the 21st century, what went wrong with that thing..

Regards,
Manish
Old 4th April 2006, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
.. New Bombay was supposed to be THE city of the 21st century, what went wrong with that thing..
Nothing! The location and planning are still ahead of its times...

Wait till the new airport is ready... NM (NB) will take off!
Old 4th April 2006, 15:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Hey folks, tell us something about Navi-Mumbai.. New Bombay was supposed to be THE city of the 21st century, what went wrong with that thing..

Regards,
Manish
navi mumbai is a futiristic city, good roads, big pavements, proper parking, though in sect 17 of vashi is too congested in the evenings. it is truly city of 21st century and i m proud to be a navi mumbaikar.

there is still lot of greenery and we have palm beach to boast about.

we have parsik hills, hills of khargar, sagar vihar sarovar vihar, thought they have lost a little bit of charm now.

with boom in the property, it is a place to be.

shubbhi
Old 4th April 2006, 15:46   #38
BHPian

So many Mumbaikars saying that "they love Mumbai in spite of the infrastructure, cost of living, congestedness". I have heard this from every other Mumbaikar I have met so far, it makes me want to visit Mumbai when I get a chance.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
it is truly city of 21st century
A touch optimistic there, manaa? It may be futuristic in comparison with the rest of Mumbai, but not in comparison to other cities around the world.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
navi mumbai is a futiristic city, good roads, big pavements, proper parking, though in sect 17 of vashi is too congested in the evenings. it is truly city of 21st century and i m proud to be a navi mumbaikar.

there is still lot of greenery and we have palm beach to boast about.

we have parsik hills, hills of khargar, sagar vihar and sarovar vihar, thought they have lost a little bit of charm now.

with boom in the property, it is a place to be.

shubbhi
I completely disagree !

Good roads , pavements are long gone , taken over by hawkers like Mumbai.
Greenery is on the wane and I expect complete loss within this year due to construction activity.

Palm beach Road was good about a year back , not now. Signals on every junction, Autos and 2 wheelers plying like crazy , and the construction activity on this road has killed the charm.

Parsik hill and Kharghar Hills are not hills anymore , its a concrete jungle. Sagar Vihar and Sarovar Vihar - the less said the better.

As for the airport , when that project gets started we will see. Its going to be another disaster with the fertile and green land on which the airport will be built.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 4th April 2006 at 15:59.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:59   #41
BHPian

steer i m not comparing it with any other city, but as a city that is built in last 30 years, it is lot better.

there is lot of scope for further improvement, good coastal views, CRZ in place, mangroves, good drainage system to prevent flooding during 26/7.

i have stayed here for last four years and i m very satisfied to be staying in such a cool place.

shubbhi
Old 4th April 2006, 16:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good coastal views, CRZ in place, mangroves, good drainage system to prevent flooding during 26/7.
Coastal Views = ??
CRZ in place ? I thought all possible CRZ rules were flouted when the construction of the golf course thats coming up near the NRI complex started and what about the buildings on the Palm Beach Road ? Almost all of the construction there flout the regualtions of the CRZ.

Good drainage system is amyth. The whole of sector 17 was flooded during 26/7 , and when the main area gets flooded its not a nice statement on the drainage system.
Old 4th April 2006, 16:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6> Corruption.
Same as all over india but south wins here
Amen!
Old 4th April 2006, 16:30   #44
SLK
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979 - I would really not count Noida as a separate city!.. its all fine .. but its incomplete without Delhi.

People stay in Delhi and work in Noida/Gurgaon... or Vice-Versa...

Its a combinition of 4 parts of Delhi plus Noida and Gurgaon... which make up the whole experience of the NCR.
Old 4th April 2006, 16:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Coastal Views = ??
CRZ in place ? I thought all possible CRZ rules were flouted when the construction of the golf course thats coming up near the NRI complex started and what about the buildings on the Palm Beach Road ? Almost all of the construction there flout the regualtions of the CRZ.

Good drainage system is amyth. The whole of sector 17 was flooded during 26/7 , and when the main area gets flooded its not a nice statement on the drainage system.
try standing on the top floors of the high rises on the palm beach , it is indeed a beautiful view.

palm beach is liked by so many, if so then it too can become a flouting of CRZ as it is closer to the mangroves. secondly all the new buildings are coming up on the left side of palm beach while travelling from vashi to belapur, the few one that are on the other side are near NRI Colony.

i have mentioned in my post that Sector 17 being very congested market place was flooded, but anything after starting of palm beach was clear till belapur. all water flowed in to the sea and that was due to good drainage system.

any ways it is about the city that we stay in, the poll is all about and i m just mentioning a few good things about it. negitives are there but then which city doesnt have its share of negatives?

i stand by my views on navi mumbai
shubbhi

Last edited by normally_crazy : 4th April 2006 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks