Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 12:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The Branded Apparel Thread

M&S is Marks & Spencer and NO it is not expensive at all. In fact after their repricing about 18 months back - it surprisingly is a VFM brand. Although the womens selection is far more than the mens.

It is very plain jane formal clothes and boring clothes. More middle aged people sorts specially the mens selction is quite boring - very british. However trousers and blacks and their brand BLUE HARBOUR is very very durable. I bought 2 trousers at a sale and its been 2 years - they just dont fade !!
Old 5th July 2012, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Well in terms of Branded clothes here is my experience:

Jeans: Mostly Levis. Two of them are going good. One of them is not holding up that good. Small holes have come up where the rear pockets are stitched to the jeans and here and there also. I have one CK jeans and it is holding up really nicely. Got it on 50% discount. Plan to buy one Tommy jeans someday.

Shirts: For casual shirts I have found designs of Louise Phillipe really young and nice. For formal most of the regular good brands like Allen Solly and Van huesen are nice. I have a couple of Charag Din shirts also. My dad has a full wardrobe of them as my mother gifts him one on his every birthday. Boy these shirts last. My dad has shirts which he has been wearing for the last 15 years atleast.

T-Shirts: Even I have found colour plus T-Shirts dont last very long. Only after a couple of washes the shine and the grace of cloth is gone. When I was a kid I was gifted a Lacoste and it lasted for a good 15 years. Now cant even think of buying one as they are astronomically priced. I have a Tommy T-shirt also. Its really nice.

Wallet: Have been using the Tommy one for the last 4 years. I have been slightly carefull with this and I guess that is why it is still holding up decently.

Shoes: I somehow dont find designs of today's sports shoes very appealing. I am not sure is it me or the designs have changed but I really find it very difficult to get one which I like and that too in my budget. Branded shoe prices have also touched skies for no reason atleast to me.

CHEERS
Old 5th July 2012, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
US POLO ASSOCIATION is the fastest rising brand at the moment in India. Belongs to ARVIND.

A small example of their Service - I bought a Jeans for 2499 and must have worn it 2-3 times and it had a very small whitish / worn out look in the are where the seam joins ( inner legs - just below the zip where the fabric stretches if you expand your legs ) and everytime I used to sit and where there was a slight stretch the area looked even whiter and I could fear of it starting to tear in a day or two.

I took it back and before I could even explain what the problem is I was offered either a refund or could pick out anything else !! I did not even take the original bill with me.

I am customer for life
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Spot on with USPA. I have purchased two shirts till date, and these must be the best of the lot. Not degraded after an year of use.
My experience with USPA has not been good. Got one T-Shirt and within a couple of washes the color from the logo which is there on the shirt was all over the shirt. Did not take the pains of going to the shop for an exchange though as did not have any bills.

But looking at the above response should have given it a try.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:25   #19
BHPian

Am a hardcore M&S for all my clothes. But my denims have always been Levi's 501.
And no, M&S is not boring. It is like Audi Q3. Classy at a reasonable price. Lets face it, Europeans dress better than the Americans.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

T-Shirts: I have few Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister, not available in India. I prefer arm fit T-shirts and they are very difficult to find. Any suggestions?

Shirts: I picked few Van Heusen shirts recently and happy with it.

Trousers: Man this is tough, I never get correct fit. So normally I buy some X brand and alter it. but recently I picked few Color Plus trousers and it is good, But I find it expensive.

Jeans: Levis 527 is my favourite. Recently I picked one local brand (Guts& Glory) for ~ Rs.800 from a local store and love it! No idea about this brand though!
Old 6th July 2012, 18:51   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Surprised by this reduction in quality of Color Plus. A decade back all my dark coloured shirts were from Color Plus, bought just for the reason that they don't fade. After shifting to Chennai, have almost stopped wearing shirts and shifted to T-shirts because of the heat & humidity.
CP was a great brand once. Now they have lost their way a bit. And yes, they need far greater product diligence. I have migrated out actually. Check Indian Terrain for similar products of a high quality.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shirts - A&F / Hollister / Ruehl (now defunct) / Kenneth Cole / Banana Republic / Express

Tees / Polo - A&F / Hollister / Ruehl (now defunct) / Banana Republic / Express / Gap

Trousers - I normally get my stuff from Kohls - the AXIST / APT 9 ones are good for office wear.

Jeans - A&F / Hollister

shoes - Sketchers / Adidas / FILA - my formal wears are from a store called 'mochi' in Kolkata.

I agree with Shankar on the inseam part - easy to shop here with the waist x inseam combos available off the rack.
In India - the formal trousers are sold unaltered and after you buy them, the in store tailor alters them for you - that gives a more bespoke finish, but takes more time. Jeans are a pain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
T-Shirts: I have few Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister, not available in India. I prefer arm fit T-shirts and they are very difficult to find. Any suggestions?
There are some export surplus stores in India which sell Abercrombie / Hollister stuff (though you won't find all sizes/colors)- I forgot their names. I shall ask one of my shopaholic friends and update you.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:09   #23
BHPian

I have a pretty narrow list of brands that I shop for my Apparels.

Shirts: ESpirit, Timberland
Shoes: Timberland, Adidas
Trousers: Timberland, Indian Terrain
Denim: Timberland
Old 7th July 2012, 11:17   #24
BHPian

My formal wardrobe starts and ends with Arrow. Shoes mochi n ganucchi
Denims Tommy,diesel,wrangler
Shoes fila,Northface, woodland
Old 7th July 2012, 11:20   #25
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 17:42.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2012, 11:48   #26
Team-BHP Support

I don't keep a wide list to choose from:

Formal Shirts: There is a local brand here in Singapore called Raoul. My favourite in India used to be Zodiac. But I felt the quality has dropped a bit (when I bought one 3-4 years back).

Formal Trousers: G2000

T-Shirts and Casuals: Esprit

Denim: Levi's - Prefer the classic 501. And picked up a couple of 511 from Cochin last year. Decent fit as well.

Formal shoes: Aldo, a regular brand for past 6-7 years

Casual shoes: No specific brand preference, but normally it ends up in Aldo, Puma or Timberland.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th July 2012 at 11:50.
Old 7th July 2012, 12:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Last week i bought a pair of Levi's and Lee jeans.
Cpmparing them,i found the Lee has a slight edge in overall fitting and finishing.
Old 7th July 2012, 16:15   #28
BHPian

They have a very limited collection at all seasons. But I find them to be of better quality that the other ones that I've owned. But off late, I'm finding a dearth is quality even from Timberland. They are priced comparatively higher than most of the brands.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 17:43. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 7th July 2012, 17:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Normally I go to Lifestyle or Westside as these are pretty close to my place. Shopper's Stop is a bit far off. Westside is more value for money but they stock only in-house brands. So no Levi's. I dont have any brand choice as far as shirts or tees are concerned.

Denims - Levis or Spykar. I avoid Lee.
Shoes - Woodland
Casual footwear - Hush Puppies
Slippers - Bata

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th July 2012 at 17:10.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:28   #30
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see no one mentioned Lacoste in t-shirts. After I started wearing them a few years ago, I haven't switched the brand. They produce some of the finest t-shirts and the quality is impeccable. T-shirts I bought 3 years ago look new and fresh even now. With eyes closed its always Lacoste for me in t-shirts.

I hardly wear trousers unless there is a need. Dockers and Ruggers in Khakis are what I have and wear but am not loyal to them like Lacoste.

Zodiac, M&S and Arrow are the prefered brands in shirts but again am not very loyal. Shirts nowadays are impulsive buys irrespective of the brand.

Wrangler and Lee in Jeans because I've been using them since forever and don't feel the need to try others.

Suits and blazers have always been from Raymonds and Park Avenue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks