Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 12:10   #3601
BANNED

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Interesting. I was thinking more like 50-70gm early in the morning, as per a new diet plan. Now 2.75 L of milk isnt what I want to be drinking I share your concerns on the protein but i'm hoping there are tasty trusted brands - or am I being simply hopeful?
As far as I know that 50-70 gm in one go is way too high intake. Try to split it into chunks of 20-25 gm per serving. What I have also read is that body's capacity to digest protein is limited. It is somewhere around 24 gm per hour. I may be little wrong in terms of figures but it veers around this. Anything extra is simply ignored and the rate at which protein is available it would be terribly expensive.

Quote:
i was asking for paid samples. Better spend 100-200 bucks on a sample than 5-6k for the product! The consistency of nutrilite is terrible as well. Its like chalk - barely dissolves.
Paid samples, I don't think are available. Various types of protein in the market include whey (easily digestible), casein (slow digesting) and blend of two. Reputed brands include Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize etc. I find chocolate whey on the tastier side. Vanilla is okay. Casein is tasty. 24 gm protein per scoop with around 3 gm carb.

Then there are hydrowhey, liquid amino and amino capsules with hardly any carb in them. But they are supremely costly.

You can buy them at Neulife Store in your city.

Last edited by anandjha : 20th May 2014 at 12:12.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:39   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Paid samples, I don't think are available. Various types of protein in the market include whey (easily digestible), casein (slow digesting) and blend of two. Reputed brands include Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize etc. I find chocolate whey on the tastier side. Vanilla is okay. Casein is tasty. 24 gm protein per scoop with around 3 gm carb.
You can buy them at Neulife Store in your city.
Thanks for the information.

Last question - which is the sasta sundar tikau of these - i.e tasty and good quality but not costing a bomb? Kinda like the Maruti like brand I can pick up blindly?

Sorry for the stupid question!
Old 20th May 2014, 12:47   #3603
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Last question - which is the sasta sundar tikau of these - i.e tasty and good quality but not costing a bomb? Kinda like the Maruti like brand I can pick up blindly?

Sorry for the stupid question!
Dymatize used to be cheaper. Both are equally good. You can compare their prices on healthkart.com (sometimes advertised on the masthead of teambhp) and buy from Neulife. For best deal get the 10 pound bag (only whey available). Every flavour cost the same but you can't go wrong with chocolate. Hope it helps.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:23   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. I was thinking more like 50-70gm early in the morning, as per a new diet plan.
Sir, you are talking of taking 50-70gms in the morning which is in my view on the higher side atleast for a non-bodybuilder or an athlete.
Could you be more specific then how do you plan to spread your other protein intakes over the day; it will help me answer you better.

-Bhargav
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:51   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Sir, you are talking of taking 50-70gms in the morning which is in my view on the higher side atleast for a non-bodybuilder or an athlete.
Could you be more specific then how do you plan to spread your other protein intakes over the day; it will help me answer you better.

-Bhargav
Umm, to be honest, I'm still figuring it out. I had the numbers wrong. I've just gotten around to reading the 4 hour body, and if I've understood it right, the first thing in the morning is a solid dose of protein (which is tough for veggies). Tim Ferriss says around 30 gm when one wakes up, and around 70 odd gram perday (not morning). I'm just wondering what protein would work without tasting like complete crap. 20 g of protein with every subsequent meal means ~150g of eggs in every meal OR a protein shake with each meal.

How much is sufficient to catalyze weight loss? I'm just above a century.
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:07   #3606

Quote:
Umm, to be honest, I'm still figuring it out. I had the numbers wrong. I've just gotten around to reading the 4 hour body, and if I've understood it right, the first thing in the morning is a solid dose of protein (which is tough for veggies). Tim Ferriss says around 30 gm when one wakes up, and around 70 odd gram perday (not morning). I'm just wondering what protein would work without tasting like complete crap. 20 g of protein with every subsequent meal means ~150g of eggs in every meal OR a protein shake with each meal.

How much is sufficient to catalyze weight loss? I'm just above a century.
Sir, didn't read what you wrote in previous pages. But for fat loss I would suggest you to first calculate your Macros. Macros are the 3 primary calorie sources which include protein, carb and fat. You can calculate these using IIFYM. After calculating these you can make a diet plan of you own and do keep in mind to keep approximately 500 calories less than what it is shown on IIFYM. For example if IIFYM shows 2500 daily calories then try to limit it to 2000 calories. In this way you will be calorie deficit. And then according to your macros you can decide upon the amount of protein you need to take.

And yes for vegetarians it is difficult to meet the protein requirements of the body. I always try to fulfil my protein intake from whole foods like egg whites and soya beans. But it not always possible so take protein shakes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:13   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
Umm, to be honest, I'm still figuring it out. I had the numbers wrong. I've just gotten around to reading the 4 hour body, and if I've understood it right, the first thing in the morning is a solid dose of protein (which is tough for veggies).
Ok, when I used to workout, I relied for my protein on eggs, soyabean, lentils, sprouts, tofu/paneer and nuts. All natural, no supplements. I am an ectomorph, so there was no limitation on anything I eat and I gained some good mass and definition in quite short time.

So if you have eggs (an "eggetarian" like me), I think you don't need those heavy protein supplements. Gold Standard Whey from Optimum Nutrition (ON) is good, gives 24gm protein per scoop and it won't be as heavy on your stomach as others. Breakfast alongwith soyabeans, 3 eggs and 1 scoop of Whey in milk will give you around 40-45gm easily. So, you are balancing the natural and artificial source this way.
And if you want to go all out and have a Spartan protein intake then go for Pro Complex from ON. Some 60gm protein per serving.
If you want to go for zero carbs supplements then Nature's Best zero carb Isopure is the way to go. Even they give 50-55gm per serving with zero carbs. (these two are a bit on the costlier side, atleast for me, if one can afford then they are the best IMO).

And most importantly, they all taste good, so need not worry.

-Bhargav
Old 27th May 2014, 17:30   #3608
Senior - BHPian

This thread has been a great learning source for me. It has also been a source of motivation. I picked up from somewhere this thread only the importance of body weight exercises (pushups, pullups etc).

When I first made up my mind to concentrate on them (sometime Sep last year), I had been going to the gym for 3 or 4 months, had lost weight but fared poorly.

Today almost 9 months later, I have gone from 4 or 5 to 50 pushups in one go
from 0 to 12 pullups in one go
from 0 to 25 chinups in one go.

Thanks, for all the information that you put up and share on this thread!

PS: My next goal is 100 pushups & 20 pullups and atleast do one or atleast a decent shot at one hand pullups.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:37   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveer View Post

And yes for vegetarians it is difficult to meet the protein requirements of the body.
Actually how would anyone know whether his protein requirements are being met or not?
Old 28th May 2014, 15:24   #3610

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Actually how would anyone know whether his protein requirements are being met or not?
Hello,

I use myfitnesspal for calculating all my calories. It is a very handy app. With that you can very well know how much protein, carb and fat you are getting by eating a particular dish or food item. Give the app a try.

Thank you
Old 28th May 2014, 16:05   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveer View Post
Hello,

I use myfitnesspal for calculating all my calories. It is a very handy app. With that you can very well know how much protein, carb and fat you are getting by eating a particular dish or food item. Give the app a try.

Thank you
No, no.
Not in that sense!
I mean to give you an equivalent - we have a lot of sites and experts throwing any number from 2100-2600 kcal as the daily calorific intake of an adult human.

So what use is that for me? Perhaps to plan my meals?
Not really.

The way to gauge the calorific requirement is very simple. If what you are eating is leading you to a constant body weight it means you are exactly on your calorific requirement. Anything lower, and you will start losing. Anything higher and you will start gaining weight.

So lets put it this way - some smartypants like me asks:
Actually how would anyone know whether his calorific requirements are being met or not?

The answer would be: monitor your body weight. If it goes down with time, you are eating less than what your body requires. If it goes up with time, you are eating more than what your body requires. (Of course if you indulge in daily 10km run, then your requirement will increase and your calorific intake would also need to increase in order to retain the body weight)

So I ask my question again:
How would anyone know in a sure shot fashion that the amount of proteins currently in his diet is actually less than what his body requires?
Old 28th May 2014, 16:42   #3612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How would anyone know in a sure shot fashion that the amount of proteins currently in his diet is actually less than what his body requires?
Having read some interesting responses from you on this thread I knew your original question wasn't to be answered with a calculator.

I don't think anybody would ever know in a sure shot fashion what is the exact requirement of the macros in their diet. People would need to watch their weight/measurements and continue to monitor what they are eating to arrive at that requirement. Having said that, with age and other variables, it would also change so its not possible to be 100% sure ever.

For someone who's wanting to lose weight or gain muscles or whatever, my advice would be to ensure that they eat adequate food (whatever they like) and continue working out and see how their body is changing and accordingly make changes in their diet, wouldn't you agree?
Old 28th May 2014, 18:32   #3613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Having read some interesting responses from you on this thread I knew your original question wasn't to be answered with a calculator.

I don't think anybody would ever know in a sure shot fashion what is the exact requirement of the macros in their diet. People would need to watch their weight/measurements and continue to monitor what they are eating to arrive at that requirement. Having said that, with age and other variables, it would also change so its not possible to be 100% sure ever.

For someone who's wanting to lose weight or gain muscles or whatever, my advice would be to ensure that they eat adequate food (whatever they like) and continue working out and see how their body is changing and accordingly make changes in their diet, wouldn't you agree?
It's an honest question.
We have symptoms for overall calorie deficiencies (mainly caused by lack of carbs).
We have symptoms for vitamins and minerals deficiencies.
We have symptoms for essential fatty acid deficiencies.
We also have symptoms proteins deficiency.

But quite frankly, how many of us know/have heard/read about vegetarians showing the symptoms of deficiency of last two cases (proteins and fats)?

To me it all appears to be the classic case of bro-science.
And I know all bros of this world will point me to the Mr Olympias of the world and tell me about their diets (primarily meat). To which my response has already been posted few pages back. (Protein absorption/utilization being proportional to anabolic hormones, and thus more intake = more result).

So how do I being a layman, recreational "body builder" - know that I am actually being deficient in proteins intake?
Old 28th May 2014, 18:39   #3614

Quote:
No, no.
Not in that sense!
I mean to give you an equivalent - we have a lot of sites and experts throwing any number from 2100-2600 kcal as the daily calorific intake of an adult human.

So what use is that for me? Perhaps to plan my meals?
Not really.

The way to gauge the calorific requirement is very simple. If what you are eating is leading you to a constant body weight it means you are exactly on your calorific requirement. Anything lower, and you will start losing. Anything higher and you will start gaining weight.

So lets put it this way - some smartypants like me asks:
Actually how would anyone know whether his calorific requirements are being met or not?

The answer would be: monitor your body weight. If it goes down with time, you are eating less than what your body requires. If it goes up with time, you are eating more than what your body requires. (Of course if you indulge in daily 10km run, then your requirement will increase and your calorific intake would also need to increase in order to retain the body weight)

Hi,

Yeah I get your point now. Well the truth is that there is no sure shot way to know how much macros you have consumed. You can be assisted with this to some extent by using myfitnesspal. You should definitely have a proper meal plan. Plan you meals with help of myfitnesspal so that you have a rough idea how many calories you are consuming and it will also help you to remain calorie deficit.

So your questions answer in short is that there is no 100% sure way to know how many macros you consuming.

Thank you
Old 28th May 2014, 18:43   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how do I being a layman, recreational "body builder" - know that I am actually being deficient in proteins intake?
One can say they are deficient in protein intake simply by calculating the quantity and type of food that they are consuming in a day. Now this is based on the assumption that they need x gms of protein per day.

Your argument, if I've understood correctly, is that how does one arrive at the protein requirement.

I'll attempt to answer by saying that deficiency can (and should) only be concluded when lack of that substance is causing a negative effect on the body. In my early 25 years of life I hardly ate more than 40-50 gms of protein per day (may be even lesser) and I never had any issues.

However, if my objective is to gain muscle and I'm not able to do so but when I increase the protein intake I'm able to gain muscle then it should be safe to say that my diet was protein deficient. Its not that my body had protein deficiency, may be my body still needed the same amount of protein but when compared to my objective, the diet becomes protein deficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks