Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 15:58   #3556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Has anyone tried for a 6-pack abs? Pl share your experiences, the diet, the exercises, the process and the pain!
Have you tried any HIIT program? I've done one religiously and lost ~8 kgs in ~6 weeks of the program, no kidding! Its called Insanity I've posted about it a couple of times also.

However, I tried to bring a variation in the burpees I was doing and ended up tearing a few fibres in my shoulder (currently undergoing Ultrasonic therapy for the same). Its the best program I've ever come across however such programs aren't liked by all but that's a topic for another day.

My diet was as follows -
Meal 1 - 3/4 cup oats with 250 ml milk (no sugar)
Meal 2 - 4 egg whites (boiled)
Meal 3 - 100-150 gm chicken breasts cooked in half a tbsp oil (I started grilling them in the sandwich maker later on)
Meal 4 - 1 Roti with Chhole/Rajma/Dal/Veggies
Meal 5 - Dry Fruits (about a handful) and about half a cup fruits
Workout in the evening
Meal 6.1 - Whey Protein in water (with 1tsp glucose) with 2 boiled eggs (one with yolk, one without)
Meal 6.2 - Quickly followed by 100-150 gm boiled sweet potatoes
Meal 7 (if I'm still hungry) - 1 roti with veggies
Meal 7/8 - 500 ml milk before sleeping

I followed the diet routine to the T for those ~6 weeks and I couldn't remember any time I felt so good about myself. My double chin was history however in the last 3-4 months that I haven't been doing it, I gained another 6 kilos. Please note that I followed that diet only while I was working out. Now a days I eat all the crap that I can lay my hands on, may be I've gained more than 6 kgs because I weighed myself about a month back.

My height is 5'8" and I used to weigh 69 kgs earlier and after about a month my weight was ranging between 60-61 kgs. My thighs got very muscular but biceps only had a marginal change since it doesn't involve weight training in the initial 6 weeks, though it comes in later in the program.

May be the diet I've shared above looks like a truckload of food for a guy my size, but I was always hungry and could've eaten more, if not less.

Will be starting it again after about a month (hopefully my injury would heal by that time).

Oh, and did I mention that the uppermost 2 abs started showing by the end of 5th week. I swear by this program, have gotten myself injured about 2-3 times (like in a major way) in the last 3 years so technically I've only done this program for like 2-3 months over a span of 3 years but the results were incredible.

PS: I'm in no way associated with this program and only sharing my experience. As I said, a lot of folks don't like these programs that get results too soon but I still love it for what it brought out in me.
Old 18th March 2014, 18:55   #3557
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Have you tried any HIIT program?
Thanks. Yes, in a way I am. It is running programme on micoach (free app from Adidas). What HIIT programme were you following? Did you combine it with weight lifting. Pl do share details.

And also congrats on achieving your goal. Only one observation. At the end of 6 weeks don't you feel you had gone way below your weight range?
Old 18th March 2014, 19:02   #3558
BHPian

Quote:

My diet was as follows -
Meal 1 - 3/4 cup oats with 250 ml milk (no sugar)
Meal 2 - 4 egg whites (boiled)
Meal 3 - 100-150 gm chicken breasts cooked in half a tbsp oil (I started grilling them in the sandwich maker later on)
Meal 4 - 1 Roti with Chhole/Rajma/Dal/Veggies
Meal 5 - Dry Fruits (about a handful) and about half a cup fruits
Workout in the evening
Meal 6.1 - Whey Protein in water (with 1tsp glucose) with 2 boiled eggs (one with yolk, one without)
Meal 6.2 - Quickly followed by 100-150 gm boiled sweet potatoes
Meal 7 (if I'm still hungry) - 1 roti with veggies
Meal 7/8 - 500 ml milk before sleeping

I dont think its a healthy diet in the long run. I have no idea why the whey protein and glucose are really needed. That many number of eggs could have easily been replaced with about 100 gms of fish to ensure better protein and micro nutrient intake. Your diet had enough natural protein. Its very very low on good fats. I recommend removing the rotis and oats and replacing it with about 40-50 gms of nuts. Eating so much and still feeling hungry is usally a bad sign from nutrition perspective.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:29   #3559
BHPian

So any fellow BHP'ians who are Barbrothers fans?
Like who believe in lifting one's own bodyweight more than lifting metal?

Pullups (wide and narrow and medium grip), push-ups (various forms), muscle ups, squats, pistols, high intensity abs-workout ?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 23:19   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, in a way I am. It is running programme on micoach (free app from Adidas). What HIIT programme were you following? Did you combine it with weight lifting. Pl do share details.

And also congrats on achieving your goal. Only one observation. At the end of 6 weeks don't you feel you had gone way below your weight range?
I was doing a program called Insanity, google the beachbody website and you'll be able to figure it out. All I can tell you is that once you do it for 2-3 weeks, nothing else is going to look good. It works every single muscle in the body with appropriate recovery days and rest days. I'm a huge fan! And yes it does involve weights but that's only in the last weeks of the 90 day program so that you become fit first and then start targeting the favorite muscle of all - biceps.

Yes my weight dropped down but that was the excess fat around my tummy and chin. My legs became stronger and more muscular and had i continued the program and a better diet i would've gained weight through muscle gradually. As i said, it did involve weights in the last weeks where a good diet would've definitely helped in gaining weight through muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
I dont think its a healthy diet in the long run. I have no idea why the whey protein and glucose are really needed. That many number of eggs could have easily been replaced with about 100 gms of fish to ensure better protein and micro nutrient intake. Your diet had enough natural protein. Its very very low on good fats. I recommend removing the rotis and oats and replacing it with about 40-50 gms of nuts. Eating so much and still feeling hungry is usally a bad sign from nutrition perspective.
Fish isn't as easy to cook for me as is boiling eggs. Not to mention, eggs are excellent source of protein, probably the best out there when eaten with yolk. Fish is great too but since it doesn't provide as much protein as chicken breast it was never a priority. I had it on rest days only just to have variety in diet, mutton too. We can argue that less of fish protein would've been better than more of chicken n egg protein but this worked for me so to each his own.

I had good fats through dry fruits - almond, walnut and cashewnut. In fact I was having desi ghee as all veggies were cooked in it, not too much, just the right amount.

I was always feeling hungry because of the kind of workout routine i was following which burned a lot of calories and i wasnt supplying my body with the increased appetite i had developed. One can only eat so much.

As for glucose, this was the only thing that came close to supplying dextrose after a workout that almost kills you and an instant kick of sugar/electrolytes is required so that i don't collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
So any fellow BHP'ians who are Barbrothers fans?
Like who believe in lifting one's own bodyweight more than lifting metal?

Pullups (wide and narrow and medium grip), push-ups (various forms), muscle ups, squats, pistols, high intensity abs-workout ?

-Bhargav
I'm a great fan of body resistance exercise and love this ghetto workout. However, i plan on working on my core before i jump on to something like what these guys do.
Old 18th March 2014, 23:53   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a great fan of body resistance exercise and love this ghetto workout. However, i plan on working on my core before i jump on to something like what these guys do.
So how do you plan to work on your core? any specific plan?
What is your current regime? How many days a week?

-Bhargav
Old 19th March 2014, 11:50   #3562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how do you plan to work on your core? any specific plan?
What is your current regime? How many days a week?

-Bhargav
Currently the regime is to get ultrasonic treatment for my right shoulder for the next 10 days. As I mentioned earlier, I suffered some fiber tear in my shoulder so no workout since the last 3 months.

I'd start again by next month and would only be doing HIIT. It involves a lot of routine which needs & builds core strength. Its got one recovery day, Wednesdays, and one rest day i.e. Sunday.

Will put updates once I heal completely and start with the program again. This time I plan on taking measurements for biceps, thighs, calves, abdomen, chest etc. and will record the progress by taking measurements every 2 weeks. As some wise guy once said, You can't improve what you can't measure.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:57   #3563
BANNED

Quote:
I was doing a program called Insanity, google the beachbody website and you'll be able to figure it out.
Googled and the results surprised me. Every link was so full of praises that it made me cautious. And then I came across this:

"Beachbody.com uses MLM marketing. In short, for $14.95 per month you can buy stock in the company and they promise you comission on everthing you sell for them. It's kind of a scam actually. Anyone and their brother can do it and you don't have to know jack squat about fitness. I bought the training material and the "secret" was revealed. They give you fake before and after pictures (of random models) and video's to put all over the internet. You are encouraged to start a false blog with emphasis on your results (only they aren't your results)"

Your comments.

My personal take from the little information that I could gather from the net.
  • It is too intense and too catabolic.
  • It will take heavy toll on your body (you've teared your shoulders).
  • It is not sustainable in the long run (you gained weight)
  • It is definitely not for me who is looking to lose not much, just 5-6% (3-4 kgs) of fat.
Quote:
So any fellow BHP'ians who are Barbrothers fans? Like who believe in lifting one's own bodyweight more than lifting metal? Pullups (wide and narrow and medium grip), push-ups (various forms), muscle ups, squats, pistols, high intensity abs-workout ?
I do incorporate them. Any good training routine is a combination of stretching, cardio, weight lifting, body weight exercises and flexibility. Then there is Samurai who is all out into it.
Old 19th March 2014, 13:28   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is too intense and too catabolic.
It is the most intense workout I've ever done. Having said that, this was the only one that got me results. One must religiously follow a very good diet to prevent their muscles from going catabolic. I ate like a pig and people around me couldn't believe how I could eat every 2 hours. Adequate sleep and healthy diet are a MUST if one wants to try this kind of workout. Else, injury is almost unavoidable.
Quote:
It will take heavy toll on your body (you've teared your shoulders).
I totally blame myself for it. Burpees isn't something that these guys came up with. Heck, they keep on shouting out, 'Form over speed' all through. It was me who decided to push my hips inside while going down and the idiotic variation led to the tear because my shoulder instead of being straight made an angle and rest is history. Had I listened to the trainer in the video, I'd been better off.
Quote:
It is not sustainable in the long run (you gained weight)
By sustainable, do you mean that one & a half month of workout and then one shouldn't gain any weight even after 3-4 months when they have been drinking twice in a week, eating crappy office food in lunch everyday and dining-out twice a week.

Let me just say that every single of my jeans & trouser doesn't stay on without a belt since Nov-Dec'13 and though I've gained weight, my waist is still leaner than what it was earlier. Even better thing that happened after this workout is that I don't have that bloated face & double chin anymore.

Quote:
It is definitely not for me who is looking to lose not much, just 5-6% (3-4 kgs) of fat.
It is most definitely not for everybody. However, HIIT is the best form of exercise, it can even be done when running, you sweat it out for 30 seconds and then jog normally for the next minute and repeat this as much as you can. You can follow the same pattern while cycling but the way an HIIT workout burns calories, nothing else does.

Now since you mentioned about their marketing strategy and stuff, let me just clear it for all that I didn't even buy their DVD. I downloaded it off the net (you know how). I wanted to get their jump mat but they wouldn't ship anything to India so I used to do this workout on the carpet. It involves a lot of jumping and carpet gives you some cushion and prevents yours knees/joints to some extent.

I don't want to defend this program at all because what might work for me might not work for others. So follow a training routine which works best for you and keeps those good hormones flowing throughout the day, all the best!
Old 19th March 2014, 15:26   #3565
BANNED

Quote:
However, HIIT is the best form of exercise
I toally agree with you and your weight loss too has been phenomenal. I am also thankful to your for sharing your thoughts.

I am aware of HIIT as well as burpees, but since had heard about Insanity programme for the first time was curious about it.

Google led me to marketing blog, amongst others. I thought I should share it with you and get your perspective. I never for a moment believed that you would be associated with it, otherwise your entire tone would have been different right from the outset. Sorry if I conveyed any other impression.
Old 19th March 2014, 15:46   #3566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I should share it with you and get your perspective. I never for a moment believed that you would be associated with it, otherwise your entire tone would have been different right from the outset. Sorry if I conveyed any other impression.
Hey hey hey, please don't embarass me by saying sorry. I didn't get offended or anything, just that I was harping about this program so much I thought its better to call it out loud that I'm not affiliated with it.

About my other responses, I was responding in a totally assertive manner so pardon my choice of words that made you think my tone being otherwise.

As for this program, anybody who wishes to try it (or a similar high intensity program), my sincere advice would be to take it really really slow, never compromise form and the moment you get a hint that you are overdoing it, just stop. I wanted to achieve too much in too little time, compromised on form and ended up injuring myself (mind you, not just once).
Old 19th March 2014, 18:28   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Errr, can anyone fill me up about this Beachbody stuff?
What exactly is the program? (I do not wish to know about diet - I am sure it will be low carb approaching ketogenic stuff)

What are the objectives?
Old 19th March 2014, 19:00   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Errr, can anyone fill me up about this Beachbody stuff?
What exactly is the program? (I do not wish to know about diet - I am sure it will be low carb approaching ketogenic stuff)

What are the objectives?
TeamBeachbody http://www.teambeachbody.com/get-fit/fitness-programs is a website that hosts a collection of various types of workouts, ranging from very low intensity cardio to very high (ones that kill you) intensity cardio. There are workouts based on Kickboxing, Muay Thai and even Tai Chi. Some workouts are devoid of any equipments, some would need you to have dumbbells, pull-up bars etc.

If you go through the link you'd have a fair idea of what I'm talking about.

One can select the program based on what kind of routine they are looking for and take it from there.

I've personally tried P90, Les Mills Combat and Insanity.

P90 needs you to have a set of dumbbells or resistance bands. Its like a very basic workout but targets all your muscles. Its also one of the oldest programs on the website. I've done this for about 3 weeks but it was simply too boring. I would personally recommend this for those who have not exercised at all in the last few years and need to gradually move up the fitness ladder. P90X, looks more fun and grilling but it needs a pull-up bar and few other things I guess.

Les Mills Combat doesn't really need any equipment but weight gloves would definitely help. I did this for just one week. Its pretty aggressive, so much so that one can't even follow the trainer's moves on the video , which is why I dropped out of it. Its kind of HIIT only and fun as it involves 6 fighting styles (kickboxing, Muay Thai etc.) but I didn't like it because I simply couldn't follow some of the fast movements.

Then comes Insanity, this one is the most intense of the three and the most fun. This doesn't need any equipment during the initial weeks but weight training (which is optional video actually) would call for a set of dumbbells. Otherwise in the regular videos one can do the 60 day program without a single equipment. Its got a good warm-up routine, then stretching and then full blast HIIT followed by a cool-down. Exercises include jumping, jogging, sprinting (on the spot of course), frog jumps, burpees, push-ups, moving push-ups, floor sprint etc. (you get the drift). Actually this program is better for those folks who are already fit (people who play sports regularly etc.) and wish to take up their fitness to another level altogether.

These programs come with a nutrition guide also but I wasn't able to manage 90% of the ingredients simply because its targetted to stateside folks.

Objective of the program is to help achieve whatever is your objective. Tai Chi for example, is for folks who are healing from injury, Slim 6 (just for example sake) for girls who have had a totally sedentary lifestyle and wish to start their fitness journey (its a very basic program) and then HIITs for those looking at burning ridiculous amount of calories in less than an hour.

Does it answer your question?
Old 25th March 2014, 17:29   #3569
BANNED

Hi guys has somebody tried ordering supplements from http://www.proteinsindia.com
OR some store in NCR region from where I could buy them.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:59   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Hi guys has somebody tried ordering supplements from http://www.proteinsindia.com
OR some store in NCR region from where I could buy them.
The downside of ordering any protein powder online is that one isn't sure what batch the product is from, its expiry date, genuine or not etc.

I had almost finalized my orders on healthkart.com but then another bhpian came to my rescue and suggested Neulife stores. I had one nearby my residence and went straight to it. They are the authorized distributors for a lot of brands (including ON). I'd suggest you go visit their store.

http://www.neulife.in/storelocator.aspx?stype=1

Most Viewed