Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 20:19   #3436
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hey guys past 3-4 months had been way too casual with my fitness. Had quit the gym etc etc. Now I've started again and *this* time have totally eliminated alco***, sodas, juices etc etc. Protein supplements are being used to the minimum. Only to kill the deficit if required. Chicken breasts and eggs to the rescue. Have lost 2 kgs in just a week. Using Myofusion and the chocolate flavor is terrible. It's like way too much chocolate. Regret not sticking to O.N.

Now the concern, my punjabi religious mother will not allow any chicken/eggs for the next one week due to Navratras. Are there any high protein vegetarian alternates or would I have to live on supplements? Would love your suggestions. Thanks!

P.S : Samurai, would you not have access to that huge sports gym/complex opposite KMC? Marena, is it? not too sure what the name is.

Hey Abhishek , I was also on a high protein chicken breast and egg diet with minimal or no salt but for me it had adverse effects , raises body temperature and causes pimple like painful things on my face . Even papaya does the same .

I have now switched to vegetarian protein . Tofu , broccoli , spinach , good sources of protein .Research a lil on the net its not very touch to find vegan sources of protein .
Old 4th October 2013, 20:26   #3437
BHPian

Quote:

Now the concern, my punjabi religious mother will not allow any chicken/eggs for the next one week due to Navratras. Are there any high protein vegetarian alternates or would I have to live on supplements? Would love your suggestions. Thanks!
Since it is just a week, your best bets are Paneer, Yoghurt, Peanut Butter, and Soybean. Of course, up your intake of Myofusion though it tastes horrible.
Old 4th October 2013, 20:35   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hey Abhishek , I was also on a high protein chicken breast and egg diet with minimal or no salt but for me it had adverse effects , raises body temperature and causes pimple like painful things on my face . Even papaya does the same .

I have now switched to vegetarian protein . Tofu , broccoli , spinach , good sources of protein .Research a lil on the net its not very touch to find vegan sources of protein .
That is so scary, Gautam I've been on the chicken/egg diet during the heat wave in Delhi and didn't suffer from any side effects. But then again it was so hot my water intake was very high. Yet, I'd rather be careful and research on this. Thank you for your suggestions. Need to go shopping for tofu, brocolli and spinach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Since it is just a week, your best bets are Paneer, Yoghurt, Peanut Butter, and Soybean. Of course, up your intake of Myofusion though it tastes horrible.
Thanks Vivek. I guess it would be a good idea to mix your suggestions along with Gautam's. Unfortunately I'll have to increase my intake of Myofusion. I made it the last resort primarily because of it's overtly sweet taste and secondly cause I want supplement to just supplement and not be the primary source of protein.

Thanks guys a lot of valuable suggestions.
Old 4th October 2013, 20:48   #3439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
P.S : Samurai, would you not have access to that huge sports gym/complex opposite KMC? Marena, is it? not too sure what the name is.
I haven't been to a Gym since 1997. So the Manipal Sports Arena doesn't interest me. I am into body weight calisthenics, so I don't need gym. The only equipment I use at home is a treadmill.
Old 6th October 2013, 12:26   #3440
BHPian

For all those vegetarians including me, do not worry about the inferior quality of the vegetarian proteins sources. All you need is Leucine or BCAA's (& maybe Creatine if you're into intense training) added to your vegan diet to reap full benefits of the animal proteins.
Old 11th October 2013, 20:08   #3441
BHPian

Guys, any idea if liquid egg white products are available in India or are you'll aware of any company that ships them here?
Old 15th October 2013, 12:56   #3442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After getting disappointed with all the pull-up station options, I have decided to get something like this done using MS pipe. It will be portable and height can be modified using different length pipes. My office plumber can source all the pipes and connectors I need.
And I am done... pretty happy with the end result too. Now I have to get a bag made for easy carrying. This can be carried in my Vitara when I travel between Bangalore and Manipal.

I made the following schematics and gave it to the steel worker. I didn't leave anything to his imagination since I didn't know him well. I chose the material from different samples after testing strength, even calculated the amount of material required. He executed it quite well and the finish is decent enough.

There are no nuts or bolts, and it can be easily dismantled in 30 seconds. I have left out the measurements, it was hand written on the printout.

The Design

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pullup-station.jpg

The height can be changed using different length pipes or by connecting multiple length pipes. The first set of pipes are 3.5ft each, if connected in series it can go to 7ft height. It is pretty stable.

Final result

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pa150209.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pa150210.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-pa150215.jpg

I could do 15-20 pullups 20 years back. Can't do even one right now. I am going to practice with this height until I can do 50. Then I will add the additional pipe and do full pullups.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:18   #3443
BHPian

Samurai, good one.
What is the material , and what was the total cost ?
Old 15th October 2013, 13:25   #3444
BHPian

Quote:
After getting disappointed with all the pull-up station options, I have decided to get something like this done using MS pipe. It will be portable and height can be modified using different length pipes. My office plumber can source all the pipes and connectors I need.

Attachment 1147832
That's a great setup Samurai.

It mimics a barbell row and less a pull-up. However if you take it higher (7 feet as mentioned in your recent post); you can do pull-ups too.

I will strongly recommend you do a mix of both these movements, if investing in the height adjusters is not an issue now itself.

You can find resistance bands at any local store and use for support, varying the resistance.

Around your back and over in case of the 'inverted row' as it is called; and around both your knees and over for initial phase and even later for extra reps.

The 'inverted row' can be increased in intensity with feet off the ground; am certain you would know, and grips can be varied too. (close/wide/palms facing/palms outward)

Forgot to add, plz ensure the bar at grip is fat enough for you or else the wrists take undue load.

Last edited by mandheers : 15th October 2013 at 13:26.
Old 15th October 2013, 13:50   #3445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
That's a great setup Samurai.

It mimics a barbell row and less a pull-up. However if you take it higher (7 feet as mentioned in your recent post); you can do pull-ups too.
Right now I am planning to do this, the inverted row:

Quote:
Forgot to add, plz ensure the bar at grip is fat enough for you or else the wrists take undue load.
The pipe is 1.5 inches thick and fits perfectly in my grip. I chose that width after some trial and error. I am a bodyweight guy, I rarely deal with undue load.

The pipe is made of mild steel and the whole setup cost me little over 7K. I got a discount on labour since the steel worker's brother works for me.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th October 2013 at 13:51.
Old 15th October 2013, 16:13   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Right now I am planning to do this, the inverted row:

The pipe is 1.5 inches thick and fits perfectly in my grip. I chose that width after some trial and error. I am a bodyweight guy, I rarely deal with undue load.

The pipe is made of mild steel and the whole setup cost me little over 7K. I got a discount on labour since the steel worker's brother works for me.
Sounds like a plan!

IMO - Bodyweight is quite the strength benchmark, it is by no measure easy. On the contrary weights (free/machine) are easier since one gradually warms up and pyramids weight up through sets and reps to handle - that's just my opinion.

I scoff at guys who scoff at 'Bodyweight' exercises, they are damn taxing as hell and there is never a light set.

Old 15th October 2013, 19:11   #3447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMO - Bodyweight is quite the strength benchmark, it is by no measure easy. On the contrary weights (free/machine) are easier since one gradually warms up and pyramids weight up through sets and reps to handle - that's just my opinion.

I scoff at guys who scoff at 'Bodyweight' exercises, they are damn taxing as hell and there is never a light set.
Hey, that's nice to hear. I got used to the scoff, I usually defend it by saying I am only looking at general fitness and not body building.

I started working out in 1984, because my college NCC underofficer showed me that I could do only 3 push-ups and was unable to run 100 meters without breaking down. That was my fitness at 15. At 20 I could do 120 push-ups at a stretch and run 5kms without break. It took so long because I had no fitness guide. This was before Salman Khan exploded into the scene with Maine Pyar Kiya. The gym culture was non-existent until then, except for those "Jeevan Tone" gulping body builder types. Gym culture in India owes a lot to Salman Khan.

In other words, I started with body weight exercises and after dabbling with top gyms in US in the 90s for few years, I got back to bodyweight exercises.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:37   #3448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually since you have the freedom, I would suggest you to get fat bars.
At least 2", preferably 3" (but then it depends on the length of the fingers and thickness of the palm).

Why?

It will build your grip strength.

Also since you are calisthenics minded ... you may want to take a peek at Naked Warrior, by
Pavel Tsatsouline
brihaspati.net/downloads/The_Naked_Warrior_P_Tsatsouline.pdf

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th October 2013 at 12:39.
Old 19th October 2013, 13:26   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think 7 feet is sufficient to do pull-ups. You can bend your knees and cross your legs behind
Old 21st October 2013, 17:18   #3450
BHPian

Quote:

+1 to that thought. Core strength is the basic thing you might need to concentrate upon, before you go into weight training. A good trainer will always suggest you to go with core strengthening exercises before you can even undergo weight training.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks