Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 11:37   #3301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To all those who take in whey/etc protein powder:
How do you ascertain whether what is printed as nutrition content is actually there?
e.g. Say Powder X claims pure whey isolate, 0% carbs, 90% proteins ... blah blah ...
Is there any testing done by independent 3rd party certifying authority which validates the claim?

Also I did a Rupee per gram of protein analysis, the protein powders being sold in India (Indian brands as well as foreign ones) are at least twice as costly (some are up to 4 times) as normal non-veg meal like eggs, chicken, fish (river), beef.
(If you observe I have deliberately kept out sea food and mutton - which are grossly overpriced these days)

Coupled with the fact that most non-veg source of food are carb free - which means you have a choice of adding as much carbs (via bread, drinks, fruit etc) as per your needs. (Keto for fat loss, high carb for muscle gain)

This needs a serious thinking ...
I have one problem with your analysis. You're talking about 'replacing' natural foods for protein. Whey is a supplement and should be taken like one. My aim is to get X no of grams of proteib per day based on my body weight. I consume eggs and chicken in addition to whey to get the required proteins. Also whey absorbs faster and is digested within 20 minutes approximately. Whey is a fast acting protein.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:41   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I have one problem with your analysis. You're talking about 'replacing' natural foods for protein. Whey is a supplement and should be taken like one. My aim is to get X no of grams of proteib per day based on my body weight. I consume eggs and chicken in addition to whey to get the required proteins. Also whey absorbs faster and is digested within 20 minutes approximately. Whey is a fast acting protein.
Why do you even require whey? (I'll give the answer - because Ronnie Coleman endorses one)
Why not have two extra eggs instead of whey? (Because egg yolk contain fat, and I don't want to grow fat, fine then take whites only)

Why would you ever need to have fast absorbing protein? (Because that's what whey marketing companies want us to believe)
Proteins are meant to be digested and assimilated slowly. Protein demands of the body are slow and gradual. Body reuses the internal amino acids "recycled" from the existing body structures.

Its not a fuel like glucose of glycogen, which the body needs on immediate basis and gets spent instantaneously, and hence you need to replenish them on instantaneous basis.

My whole tirade is against unverifiable expensive stuff that doesn't make any difference to your performance and/or physique.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:55   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you even require whey? (I'll give the answer - because Ronnie Coleman endorses one)
Why not have two extra eggs instead of whey? (Because egg yolk contain fat, and I don't want to grow fat, fine then take whites only)

Why would you ever need to have fast absorbing protein? (Because that's what whey marketing companies want us to believe)
Proteins are meant to be digested and assimilated slowly. Protein demands of the body are slow and gradual. Body reuses the internal amino acids "recycled" from the existing body structures.

Its not a fuel like glucose of glycogen, which the body needs on immediate basis and gets spent instantaneously, and hence you need to replenish them on instantaneous basis.

My whole tirade is against unverifiable expensive stuff that doesn't make any difference to your performance and/or physique.
Who is Ronnie Coleman? If marketing gimmicks worked I'd probably buy everything shown during a match

Simple answer : B.C.A.A (Branched Chain Amino Acids)

Protein synthesis and immediate fueling of working muscles.

Although I agree on the pricing bit. It is pathetic.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:12   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Who is Ronnie Coleman? If marketing gimmicks worked I'd probably buy everything shown during a match

2. Simple answer : B.C.A.A (Branched Chain Amino Acids)

3. Protein synthesis and immediate fueling of working muscles.

4. Although I agree on the pricing bit. It is pathetic.
1. Surely you must've come to know about Protein powder from some source (magazine, internet board, or from a friend/trainer influenced by marketing BS), otherwise any logical person would question the efficacy of this stuff.

2. So the non-veg food items don't contain BCAA?

3. Since protein is not a fuel, I refuse to believe that someone can actually believe that protein is needed immediately by the body after a workout

4. Its not pathetic, its smart. A swindler always knows who to swindle, and how to swindle.

Please don't take my questions as directed towards you. Its towards anyone and everyone (especially those who have posted on this thread) - about what you are doing ... where the money is being wasted

Last edited by alpha1 : 11th March 2013 at 19:14.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:09   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
1. Surely you must've come to know about Protein powder from some source (magazine, internet board, or from a friend/trainer influenced by marketing BS), otherwise any logical person would question the efficacy of this stuff.

3. Since protein is not a fuel, I refuse to believe that someone can actually believe that protein is needed immediately by the body after a workout

4. Its not pathetic, its smart. A swindler always knows who to swindle, and how to swindle.

Please don't take my questions as directed towards you. Its towards anyone and everyone (especially those who have posted on this thread) - about what you are doing ... where the money is being wasted
Completely agree on all counts.

There was an issue in Mumbai recently which the media did not blow up- containers of supplements, apparently belonging to a distributor acquaintance were held up for falling short on claim.

What happens next is not even funny- he still got stocks delivered to his stores in a week.

Rice flour and glucose can do wonders I tell you.

Protein as rightly put by alpha1 is required and digested gradually etc, I let go of the Isolates myth and hype over a year ago, only use blends and now down to about 3 scoops a day, and the rest the good 'ol fashioned way.

Nothing beats a grilled/boiled chicken breast or a braised salmon with veggies. Throw in some bread and mashed potatoes; depending on the time of day; and you have the perfect meal.

I have drastically reduced my dependency on supplements in the past year, protein supplements specifically.

Have your proteins I say, 1gm per Pound bodyweight etc; any math works fine; but a scoop of whey is rather overrated IMO.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:53   #3306
BHPian

Hi people . I am in need of all your advice now . I was 121 kgs earlier before a year. Now I have lost about 13kgs. But still I need to shed down at least 25-30 kgs to justify my BMI . Now the issue is that my body has reached a saturation point upon which I am unable to lose weight now . I am planning to hit a gym for looking fit and fine . Even though I lost weight earlier,I am not much satisfied with the way I look . I feel I should look fit. For information I lost weight just by brisk walking and diet .
Now my primary requirements are
1.Build muscle.
2.lose weight .
3. Most important thing is guidance from trainers to better understand my body and work out accordingly without any muscle strain or injury .

I very well have a gym at my apartment and it's quiet good as far as equipment is considered . But I desperately require a proper trainer to walk me through .

Also please suggest me a good gym around bannerghatta road area . I think I will exclude snap fitness due to to many complaints about trainers and their bad service . How is talwalkar .

Please suggest . Thanks in advance .

Last edited by rki2007 : 17th March 2013 at 18:55.
Old 17th March 2013, 19:36   #3307
BHPian

^^^^^^ you should do more cardio to loose weight and gain some endurance to get through an hour of weight training. I would advise you to start with compound exercises and not single muscle group exercises.

Something like a power lifters workout:

1.power clean lifts. will work out all muscles.learn proper technique.

2.squats.

3.bench press

4.military press

5.dead lifts

6.pull ups and pushups.

You need to start with what you're comfortable. master the technique first.if you do these right, youll get maximum benefit and your body can move on to more rigorous training after you build some muscle.

CORE training is very important with your cardio sessions.

As these compound exercises involve heavy weights, do them under professional supervision if you're total noob.

Best of luck!
Old 20th March 2013, 01:07   #3308
BHPian

Quote:

I like how you put these assumptions up. Unfortunately, I am not influenced by media or by any stud telling me how to gain muscle. I trust science and logic.

I need x amount of proteins per day. I cannot consume all of it through lean meats, eggs, milk and the likes. I might end up with a deficit.

So what I might lack needs to be *supplemented* through other protein sources. Hence I consume the protein that I do.

If I see it as a supplement I refuse to see it as a 'source' and that is all that I've been trying to explain to you for a while now.

You might assume again that I am taking this personally but I am pretty open minded to your observations. All that I am saying is, treat an opinion like one, yes you might be correct or maybe you're wrong but a point needs to be acknowledged before we refute it.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:27   #3309
BHPian

BCAA's obtained from food sources (Eggs, Meat etc.) and from Free form (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine powders) are totally different when it comes to their mechanism of action. Free form BCAA's when induced in muscle intra-workout exert a greater anabolic response when compared to their peptide bonded counterparts.
I would take free form BCAA's, Creatine and Glutamine anyday over all other supplements including over hyped and overpriced whey protein.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:57   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Also please suggest me a good gym around bannerghatta road area . I think I will exclude snap fitness due to to many complaints about trainers and their bad service . How is talwalkar .
Around Bannerghatta road area, Golds gym is the best in terms of equipment. Talwalkars - IMO is more expensive, has lesser space and lesser equipment when I looked at it. But it has to be either of them.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:00   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Nitrotech's "new" Performance series any reviews guys ?

I just purchased a 4 lbs pack
Quote:
No idea. I would suggest going through bodybuilding forums and you tube reviews. Can't go wrong with forums with people treating it like a progress log.
Got done with my 4 lbs of performance series.

Total weight gain 3.5 kgs

3-5 workouts / week.

Had 2 scoops/day on my workout days (days skipped were because of travelling etc)

Last edited by karan561 : 20th March 2013 at 11:03.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:03   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need x amount of proteins per day. I cannot consume all of it through lean meats, eggs, milk and the likes. I might end up with a deficit.
Why can't you?
In fact why can't everyone else too?
What stops us?

Of course I know nothing is easier than mixing stuff in milk/water and gulping it down. But that's not the point unless we are constantly on the move working like a traveling salesman.

Also I am being annoyingly obstinate about the point that how would we know/test that the protein powder actually contains the X grams of proteins per scoop. The protein powder, for all we know, might be just rice flour.

The same faking cannot be done for eggs or meat.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:08   #3313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not influenced by media or by any stud telling me how to gain muscle.
What are you doing in this thread then?
Old 20th March 2013, 11:11   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Around Bannerghatta road area, Golds gym is the best in terms of equipment. Talwalkars - IMO is more expensive, has lesser space and lesser equipment when I looked at it. But it has to be either of them.
I am a member at Talwalkar's in Delhi and I would suggest - skip. Not only is it expensive as blue pulsar mentions but it is pathetic in terms of hygiene.

The massage room is treated like a sleeping room by gym trainers. The washrooms in the lockers are used by everyone even the guards and the housekeeping staff - the result is that the loo stinks.

Apart from that if you wish to use it before or after work and want to make use of the shower area be prepared for 'no water' days once in two weeks and some latches broken.

Equipment wise it is fine but the music isn't exactly what is needed for a workout unless Honey Singh helps. I don't think he does.

Trainers are good in terms of assistance and helping you obtain postures but beyond that, there's not much they can help with.

EDIT CC Samurai : Hold on, being a mod you should remember this is a forum. I am here to learn and share and that is exactly what am doing.

Alpha : Yes, you're right. It is kind of difficult to keep up with that diet through the day. I wasn't on whey proteins for 3-4 months when I started working out but could not get my proteins to the optimum level hence supplements to make it closer to the required intake per day as per my weight.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 20th March 2013 at 11:30.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:36   #3315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EDIT CC Samurai : Hold on, being a mod you should remember this is a forum. I am here to learn and share and that is exactly what am doing.
I know the purpose of the forum. I was referring to your statement that you won't be influenced by studs. This thread is full of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks