Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 13:42   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Looks like you have never faced the misfortune and frustration of someone performing much better than you in sports or getting far ahead on you in physique department (I have faced both in different times)
Oh, I have, I am 6ft, but small framed, thin wrists and ankles. I just work harder to achieve my fitness goals. You would be surprised as to what can be achieved by focus, discipline and buckets of sweat.
Old 31st August 2013, 17:32   #3377
BHPian

Have a question for experts. I am taking protein isolates, one scoop post work out. I want to know if there is any benefit in taking half a scoop in the mornings with breakfast? I work out three days a week, only in the evenings. I do only weight training and my goal is muscle gain. I am 5'9 and weigh 77 kg. Regular for last 1.5 years. Before that was working out for a year but not regular.

Thanks in advance!
Old 31st August 2013, 20:50   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Have a question for experts. I am taking protein isolates, one scoop post work out. I want to know if there is any benefit in taking half a scoop in the mornings with breakfast? I work out three days a week, only in the evenings. I do only weight training and my goal is muscle gain. I am 5'9 and weigh 77 kg. Regular for last 1.5 years. Before that was working out for a year but not regular.

Thanks in advance!
Protein is best utilized when used in conjunction with Carbs -

Post Workout - Simple or High GI Carbs (Chocolate/Cocoa/Sugars/Gatorade)
Morning - Complex or Low GI Carbs (Oats, Porridge)

So start off with your day with protein + complex carbs for everlasting energy.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:59   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I don't know much about supplements as I have never used them nor have I bothered to find out more about them. Think that ON supplement became famous after that recent John Abraham-Chitrangada Singh movie. Seen many people queue up for that.

From your post, I see that your purpose of hitting the gym is to have core strength more than merely a sculpted body.

I fully endorse Samurai's views on calisthenics. Why else do all army exercise guide books around the world use the simple: push up, pull up, chin up and sit up regimen, apart from running? Cos army people need core strength, not mere pumped up muscles.

Since you have a lean build, try this first.

Run on the treadmill for say about 40 minutes. Start at 8 Kph. (yeah I know it's slow but don't worry). Increase the speed by .5 kph increments every week. So by the end of 2 months, you should be doing about 12 Kph to 13 Kph speeds. Breathe deep while you're at it.

Once you manage about 7-8 Kms of running per day, you'll find that your belly fat will begin burning. In the 7-8 Kms of running, I suggest that you run at 12-13 Kph for 30 minutes, and then slow down in 0.5 Kph or 1 Kph decrements per minute until you hit the 40-45 minute mark. Never stop suddenly. Also try to run on your toes and not on your heels (good for your knees). Keep up your protein intake while at it (eggs, not chicken).

After your running each day, do about 10-15 minutes of cycling. 6-8 resistance should be great. Also stay hydrated while doing cardio since you'll be losing a lot of sweat while running and cycling.

Now, the running and cycling will take care of your stamina and will keep your heart healthy. Let's move to core strength.

For core strength, you've already been doing push ups. Good start.

Now, you need to hit the king of all upper body exercises: pull ups. This will give you fantastic strength in your upper body and back.

I suggest a routine that works for me.
Very useful post. I have started doing push ups and sit ups at home in addition to running. I want to do pull ups too, but there is no bar at home. How do you manage to do pull ups at home. There is a hook in the bedroom, any idea where I can get a chain with bar that can be attached to the hook for pull ups?
Old 31st August 2013, 23:35   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post

Protein is best utilized when used in conjunction with Carbs -

Post Workout - Simple or High GI Carbs (Chocolate/Cocoa/Sugars/Gatorade)
Morning - Complex or Low GI Carbs (Oats, Porridge)

So start off with your day with protein + complex carbs for everlasting energy.
Thanks a lot for your inputs, 1-Testosterone. However, is it going to just provide me everlasting energy or going to help me in building muscle?
Old 31st August 2013, 23:39   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, there might be a way out of this confusion. How long have you been working out, and how many injury cycles you have lived through?
8 months. No injuries by the almighty's grace.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 1st September 2013, 00:01   #3382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Very useful post. I have started doing push ups and sit ups at home in addition to running. I want to do pull ups too, but there is no bar at home. How do you manage to do pull ups at home. There is a hook in the bedroom, any idea where I can get a chain with bar that can be attached to the hook for pull ups?
I don't do pull ups at home but for you, this could be a good option-> http://www.snapdeal.com/product/gofi...m_campaign=159

Buy this version (Xtreme), not the regular one. The Xtreme has the wider inclined grip position which makes pull ups more challenging. So, you can do normal grip, wide inclined grip and chin ups. Then for the shoulders, another variation. So, lots of options.

Some friends used to to use these with brackets as their doors didn't support these bars. Now, most of them are abroad. I'll see if they have pics on how they fitted the pull up bars with brackets.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:26   #3383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I want to do pull ups too, but there is no bar at home. How do you manage to do pull ups at home. There is a hook in the bedroom, any idea where I can get a chain with bar that can be attached to the hook for pull ups?
Most of those door hookups are not designed for Indian style doors, which have no standardization. I have ordered this one, let's hope that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
8 months. No injuries by the almighty's grace.
This pretty much explains why most couldn't understand your advice. Many of us here who have decades of workout experience have undergone multiple injury cycles. The intense workout you advised can easily cause injuries to half the people who try it. And probability of injury is higher and recovery period is longer as one gets older.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:26   #3384
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
The way I see it, sleep time is quality repair and recovery time.
Treat nutrition around sleep as close as possible to workout windows.
Pre-bedtime and upon-waking nutrition can make or break many a plan.
Complex protein sources at bedtime, like Casein etc and faster absorbing ones upon waking, for e.g. Whey.
Carbs I pesonally love and I feel they are a personal opinion for everyone.
See what works best for you in the morning, Oats or Banana.
Post workout High GI Carbs are best, or Simple Carbs as already outlined by @1-Testosterone.
That said, Isolates are only the top of the pyramid, if you are not combining protein sources and types, you are missing the bigger picture.

You are welcome!

Quote:
Sacrifice a fan and hang a bar there, if you are tall then your spinal column and shoulders will thank you for all the traction/stretch from time to time and great for ab-work.
Any local fabrication guy can do a bar for you.
Doors are OK, not great, if you are tall, like I said, but they work well, refer @Samurai's post.
But then again, where there is a will, there is a way. (much like nowadays: where there is a Will, there is a Whey. )
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:13   #3385
Senior - BHPian

I have recently started with a High Intensity Interval Training (Shaun T's - Insanity).

Before the workout I have a banana and after this workout I have 4 eggs (3 white, 1 whole), about 250-300 ml of banana milk shake (no sugar) and 1 boiled potato (no salt).

I wanted to know whether this kind of post-workout meal is enough to give the body its first and most important dose of protein & carbohydrates (1:4 ratio) so that no catabolic activity starts due to lack of enough protein/carb in the system.

For the rest of the day I have 3-4 small meals
1. Chicken/mutton roll in whole-wheat/oats roti
2. Boiled Rajma/Chole/Black Gram/Lentil roll in whole-wheat/oats roti
3. Fruit - Apple mainly but at times other seasonal fruits
4. Veggies with 1-2 roti in the night
5. A glass of milk before I go to sleep

Does it look alright for a 28 yr old who weighs 68 kgs, looks fit except for a beer belly and double chin (I hate it!!)
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:53   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your inputs, 1-Testosterone. However, is it going to just provide me everlasting energy or going to help me in building muscle?
Everlasting energy as well as Building Muscle. You build muscle when your muscle glycogen levels are at optimal levels (Read -> Energy). You simply can'
t build muscle when your energy levels are down.

Simply put - train hard, eat often/clean/unprocessed food and sleep well and you'll build muscle and burn fat, Forever.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:40   #3387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The way I see it, sleep time is quality repair and recovery time.
Treat nutrition around sleep as close as possible to workout windows.
Pre-bedtime and upon-waking nutrition can make or break many a plan.
Complex protein sources at bedtime, like Casein etc and faster absorbing ones upon waking, for e.g. Whey.
Carbs I pesonally love and I feel they are a personal opinion for everyone.
See what works best for you in the morning, Oats or Banana.
Post workout High GI Carbs are best, or Simple Carbs as already outlined by @1-Testosterone.
That said, Isolates are only the top of the pyramid, if you are not combining protein sources and types, you are missing the bigger picture.

You are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Everlasting energy as well as Building Muscle. You build muscle when your muscle glycogen levels are at optimal levels (Read -> Energy). You simply can'
t build muscle when your energy levels are down.

Simply put - train hard, eat often/clean/unprocessed food and sleep well and you'll build muscle and burn fat, Forever.
Thanks mandheers & 1-Testosterone! Already started following your directions and seeing the effect also. I feel more energetic as well as can feel the improvement in muscle recovery.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:39   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of those door hookups are not designed for Indian style doors, which have no standardization. I have ordered this one, let's hope that will work.
So, did it arrive yet? Does it work without the clamps. Had a quick peek at the reviews on Amazon and its a mixed bag with some claiming its good and others claiming it bent in 6 months.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:48   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered this one, let's hope that will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
So, did it arrive yet? Does it work without the clamps. Had a quick peek at the reviews on Amazon and its a mixed bag with some claiming its good and others claiming it bent in 6 months.
I am using a similar one bought from the local sports store and, touch wood, it is ok as of now (2 months irregular use). The only problem is, as Samuari says, it doesn't fit any of our doors and am using it on the archway of the kitchen, much to annoyance of my wife
Old 12th September 2013, 14:54   #3390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Yes, it arrived. However, it can't be used without clamps. Pair of clamps have to be screwed to the door frame. That means I can't adjust height frequently. So I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping both my son and I can use it, at different heights. I'll need multiple pairs of clamps for that.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th September 2013 at 14:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks