Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 09:00   #3211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin
hi
).

Ideally I would want to buy in India itself, but I can get things shipped from US/UK, so recommendations can also include things available in US/UK.
Hey you can buy the reebok ones. I got it at 2000rs some discount was going on on exercise equipment and till now they have been great. Reebok had 3 bands in the packet of varying resistance. The 3x one was very strong resistance and requires quite an effort.

Hope it helps.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:58   #3212
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
How does one manage equal strength in both the left and right halves of the body? The problem i face is when doing individual curls in each arm and also when doing other leg exercises.
Ive been trying for quite sometime, but im not at all able to match the reps in both arms or both legs. If i do 10 15 reps of curls in my right arm the left one cannot do more than 8 to 10. Similarly in case of one legged squats.
Its like i feel weakness from my left forearm and not able to pull up the weight.

Does anyone else face this problem? Im really flustered because my right arm has got some development of the biceps now and even the forearm feels stronger, but my left arm doesnt show much significant changes.

Hope im able to put across my doubt clearly.
P.s im right handed if that is relevant. I really want to match the growths on both sides of the body.

Thanks
What you are experiencing is actually normal; most folks favor one arm over the other naturally (right hander favors the right arm more, and so forth - though here's a caveat - I'm right handed, but for some reason the left side of my body is naturally far stronger than my right )

What you should do is try training the weaker limb FIRST - before you train the other limb - so that you can focus all your nervous/muscular energy into training that limb before you work on the other. Also, make sure you focus on perfect form, more so than you would normally - really perform each rep in letter perfect, STRICT form - that is something you should do anyway, but more so with the weaker limb.

And last, but not least, focus on COMPOUND exercises that work the entire body as a whole. In your specific case, I'd work on pull-ups (decent pull-ups with good form without kipping) - the exercise done correctly is far more beneficial than curls (though that depends upon what you are training for, of course). It will also build strength uniformly throughout your arms, as both arms are forced to lift your entire bodyweight. Give it a try!

Cheers

Rahul
Old 25th July 2012, 14:41   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99

And last, but not least, focus on COMPOUND exercises that work the entire body as a whole. In your specific case, I'd work on pull-ups (decent pull-ups with good form without kipping) - the exercise done correctly is far more beneficial than curls (though that depends upon what you are training for, of course). It will also build strength uniformly throughout your arms, as both arms are forced to lift your entire bodyweight. Give it a try!

Cheers

Rahul
I fail miserably on pullups. My right arm pulls me completely whereas the left arm tends to give up midway.

Starting p90x from monday. Got the kit except the pull up bar. On p90x they show an alteration of pull up using resistance bands to replicate the movement. Is that effective?

I am also trying writing with both hands as someone told me it helps to balance the moves on either side of the body. Equal form on both sides is what i want. My right biceps is more in size than the left one. Left one looks as of a malnourished person in cimparison to right one.

Thanks for replying.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:05   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
I fail miserably on pullups. My right arm pulls me completely whereas the left arm tends to give up midway.
Hmm, in addition to one of your arms being weaker than the other, it sounds like your concentrating on pulling with your arms instead of your back - to do pullups correctly (and especially if your arms are weak) - imagine your arms are "hooks" that attach the muscles under your armpit to the bar. You should basically imagine you are pulling from the armpit - "feel" the muscle as you go through the movement, and also focus on your grip - grip the bar as hard as you can. Work the movement hard, but don't over-do it - and you should improve pretty quickly assuming you have no weight issues (pull-ups can get REAL hard if your a heavy guy).

In addition to getting better at pull-ups, focusing on the grip will naturally strengthen your forearms - in a few weeks, your arm strength should have improved considerably. Not sure about size, but I NEVER work my biceps, but still have fairly decent development in that area (nothing like a bodybuilder would, not even close, but then I'm into doing functional exercises as opposed to bodybuilding). And pull-ups are the #1 reason behind this.

Quote:
Starting p90x from monday. Got the kit except the pull up bar. On p90x they show an alteration of pull up using resistance bands to replicate the movement. Is that effective?

I am also trying writing with both hands as someone told me it helps to balance the moves on either side of the body. Equal form on both sides is what i want. My right biceps is more in size than the left one. Left one looks as of a malnourished person in cimparison to right one.

Thanks for replying.
IMO (though I could be wrong here) writing with both hands might help improve co-ordination on the weaker hand, but I doubt it'll translate into any real strength gains though.

Saw the pull-up band as well, they're good for building up your strength to the point where you can do pull-ups - but only doing pull-ups, and spending time trying to get better at them will help you get better at them. But the bands are OK to build UP your strength (as well as good for strengthening the tendons and ligaments of the arm - an area most folks neglect). Again, make sure you pull with your back and not the arms for maximum benefit.

Hope that helped just a little!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 25th July 2012, 21:46   #3215
BHPian

Quote:

Hmm, in addition to one of your arms being weaker than the other, it sounds like your concentrating on pulling with your arms instead of your back - (pull-ups can get REAL hard if your a heavy guy).

IMO (though I could be wrong here) writing with both hands might help improve co-ordination on the weaker hand, but I doubt it'll translate into any real strength gains though.

Saw the pull-up band as well, they're good for building up your strength to the point where you can do pull-ups -
Cheers,
Rahul
OT: Is your surname Bali? I had a batchmate Rahul Bali and was just wondering since all he would do at the school gym were functional exercises like pull ups.

My pull up method is definitely wrong as you pointed out. Anyway to have a pull up bar at home? I couldnt find anywhere to fix the pull up bar and thats the only part of the p90x routine that may not be well performed.

And yes im overweight at 84kilos hence the sudden interest in exercises. I used to gym earlier but it was on and off and lack of controlled eating led to a disastrous increase in weight and an overall detorioration in health.

Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:04   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
OT: Is your surname Bali? I had a batchmate Rahul Bali and was just wondering since all he would do at the school gym were functional exercises like pull ups.

My pull up method is definitely wrong as you pointed out. Anyway to have a pull up bar at home? I couldnt find anywhere to fix the pull up bar and thats the only part of the p90x routine that may not be well performed.

And yes im overweight at 84kilos hence the sudden interest in exercises. I used to gym earlier but it was on and off and lack of controlled eating led to a disastrous increase in weight and an overall detorioration in health.

Thanks for the helpful info.
No, my last name is not Bali - see my profile and you'll know what it is!

As far as the pull-up bar goes, the one you mention (and most others as well) are usually doorway chinning bars, which means you attach the bar between the door frame. Somewhat like the Bullworker chinning bars (I'm sure you've seen these) - those attach via suction cups, and I'm guessing the p90x bar attaches via screws (I've had doorway chinning bars in the past that attached with screws). Do let me know what the quality of the product is like once you get it - I'm looking for something similar myself.

And with regard to your weight - 84 kgs isnt that bad really (assuming you must be at least 5'7" or so ) - you CAN do pull-ups at that weight! There have been many "heavy" old time strongmen of the past that did pull-ups for reps - let me know if you need links for inspiration! I'm not saying not to control your weight - do so by all means - but as far as the pull-up is concerned, proper technique and application (the right amount of effort) will get you there without any problems.

Also, I'm glad the post helped somewhat - let me know if you have further questions and I'll try and help. I'm sort of a bodyweight exercise fanatic as you can tell!

Cheers

Rahul

PS: I'd advise you NOT to buy Bullworker chinning bars - their quality seems to have deteriorated beyond belief - I managed to go through TWO of them in like three weeks time before I finally got frustrated and found other options. You likely already know this, but mentioning it just in case you didn't. . .

Last edited by Zenster99 : 25th July 2012 at 22:16. Reason: To add the part in about bullworker chinning bars
Old 25th July 2012, 22:22   #3217
BHPian

Quote:

No, my last name is not Bali - see my profile and you'll know what it is!

. I'm sort of a bodyweight exercise fanatic as you can tell!

Cheers

Rahul
Ive been searching for pull up bar. There's this one i saw in commercial street Jayant fitness centre. Its called Tunturi chin up bar. It is available on healthkart also.

Btw there is this dealer i found online who delivers the entire p90x kit in India for 10 to 15k inr IIRC. The kit includes chinup bar, beeline bands, yoga mat.

My height is 5'9" and im borderline for cardiac risk as my recent blood test shows. Have started walking 5kms daily from the past week especially after rains brought down the temperature. Hardly any decrease in weight though. Still i enjoy the walks around my little town.

The suction chinups do they work? Like are they able to take on the weight? Rather will they be able to take my weight?

Thanks once again and il be pm-ing you from time to time with my questions.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:34   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Ive been searching for pull up bar. There's this one i saw in commercial street Jayant fitness centre. Its called Tunturi chin up bar. It is available on healthkart also.

Btw there is this dealer i found online who delivers the entire p90x kit in India for 10 to 15k inr IIRC. The kit includes chinup bar, beeline bands, yoga mat.
Not sure about Jayant fitness center (I'm not from Bangalore) - but I took a look at the Tunturi chinning bar online. Seems to be what I had in China in a different life, and it worked pretty well for me at that time. Again, I'm not sure how good it really is - but it seems better and less fancy than the other p90x bar you mentioned.

BTW, why would the dealer be including a yoga mat along with the chinning bar? Sort of a freebie as it were. . .? Just wondering. Decent add on though, you can do plenty of useful bodyweight stuff on a yoga mat.

Quote:
My height is 5'9" and im borderline for cardiac risk as my recent blood test shows. Have started walking 5kms daily from the past week especially after rains brought down the temperature. Hardly any decrease in weight though. Still i enjoy the walks around my little town.

The suction chinups do they work? Like are they able to take on the weight? Rather will they be able to take my weight?

Thanks once again and il be pm-ing you from time to time with my questions.
As far as the suction caps, the Bullworker ones don't work - at least not at my current weight - I'm on the heavier side as well. They used to work great when I was a skinny 50 kg kid, but then I couldn't do half the exercises I can now. My blood tests (I recently got bloodwork done as well) don't show any negative results - everything within reasonable limits, which is good. In your case, I think the walking is GREAT for you - especially if your doctor says you are risk for cardiac problems. You may not lose that much weight initially, but it'll help you tone up and you WILL be burning calories. Watch your diet as well - and if you can add UPHILL walking into your routine - boy oh boy, you won't believe the results THOSE bring - I've written an entire book on that!

Best of luck, and no problem re: the PM's.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 25th July 2012, 22:50   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
. Watch your diet as well - and if you can add UPHILL walking into your routine - boy oh boy, you won't believe the results THOSE bring - I've written an entire book on that!

Best of luck, and no problem re: the PM's.

Cheers,
Rahul
The yoga mat is from beachbody.com itself. Its part of the p90x deluxe kit which this person imports. Yoga mats retail for 250 in some markets in Bangalore. Do we really need to be that finicky with yoga mats? I can workout easily on the floor without any problem. Or are there any long term side effects of that?

My BMI is above 25 and im obese. Got a big spare tyre round my tummy. Assurance from an experienced person like you are very helpful indeed.

Regarding the pull up bar guess il have to make do with the resistance bands till i find some better solution.

Walking feels great in my hometown. Its my way of commuting whenever im here atleast for my entire duration of stay; whether it shines, rains or hails but i love walking around the town. People tend to recognise you in cars so i prefer to walk. But once in Bangalore; the pollution takes its toll and the treadmill becomes too boring.

Thanks once again. Hopefully will be able to post some before after pics after that 90 day period; just like they show in the ads
Old 25th July 2012, 23:05   #3220
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see some discussion on bodyweight exercises. I used to discuss bodyweight calisthenics on this thread about 7 years back, before the focus turned to mostly to bodybuilding.

Pullups are something I lost along the way. I used to do it long time back, then if you don't it for a while, you just lose it. Now I am slowly building back to it.

Here is a good tutorial:
Old 26th July 2012, 10:05   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
The yoga mat is from beachbody.com itself. Its part of the p90x deluxe kit which this person imports. Yoga mats retail for 250 in some markets in Bangalore. Do we really need to be that finicky with yoga mats? I can workout easily on the floor without any problem. Or are there any long term side effects of that?
No real side effects from working out on the floor as far as I can tell - I only use a mat for my bridging exercises where I have to place my forehead on the floor (better to place it on a yoga mat than the cement floor). Same goes for exercises where the knees come into play - yoga as far as I know (not an expert on yoga!) has a lot of those positions.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th July 2012, 11:55   #3222
BHPian

Hi guys, just for update: I injured my back in Feb and was off until 4 weeks back.

Packed in some good workouts past 4 weeks, and keeping it going.

Agree with Samurai on Pull-ups, have lost the motor control too, trying.

Here's something I found on my hunt for protein, basically did a bit of learning and unlearning.

My meals are all over the place and Sohail here can vouch for the shape I got into- he almost started calling me a Sumo wrestler.

Well, what I have put myself through is a rigorous routine and training instinctively basis recovery patterns, which again vary basis sleep patterns and meals.

Weight was 101 when I resumed, and is stuck at 98 now past 2 weeks, plan to drop if possible to early 90s.

This is the schedule I have been following:

Day 1 – Legs
5 mins bike or cross trainer to warm up
Leg extensions – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Hack squats - 4 sets 10-12 reps
Staggered leg press – 3 sets 12 reps each leg forward (i.e. that's 24 reps per set)
Walking lunges – 3 sets of 20 steps
Lying leg curls – 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Stiff-legged deadlifts – 3 sets of 8-10 reps (with dumbells)
Calf raises – 4 heavy sets of 8 reps
Seated calf raises – 4 sets of 12-15 reps
5 mins bike or cross trainer to warm down

Day 2 – Chest + Triceps + Abs
Bench press – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Incline press – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Dumbbell flyes – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Pec-dec – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Cable cross-overs – 4 sets of 12-15 reps rapidly, varying position
Skull-crushers – 3 sets 10-12 reps
Tricep push-downs - 4 sets 10-12 reps
Reverse grip single arm tricep pushdowns – 3 sets 10-12 reps each arm
Leg-raises – 3 sets to failure
Cardio 20 mins

Day 3 – Back + Biceps
Lat pull-downs (front neck) – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Low-pulley rows – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Deadlifts – 3 sets 8-10 reps (with dumbells)
Bent-over rows – 3 sets 8-10 reps (or supported T-bar or with bar in corner for my back)
Straight-arm pull-downs – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Lat pull-downs (behind neck) - 1 set of 25 reps
Stranding EZ curls – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Preacher curls – 2 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Concentration curls – 2 sets 8-10 reps each arm
Cardio 20 mins

Day 4 – Delts + Traps + Abs
Dumbbell side lateral raises – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Seated shoulder press (front neck) – 3 sets 10-12 reps; 1 set 25 reps
Steering wheels – 3 sets 30 turns)
Barbell front laterals – 3 sets 10-12 reps ) may be performed as a superset
Supported bent-over laterals (rear delts) – 4 sets 10-12 reps
Shrugs – 4 sets 8-10 reps (with dumbells)
Upright rows – 3 sets 8-10 reps (with dumbells)
Sit-up crunches – 3 sets to failure
Cardio 20 mins

I train nights, the above takes about 2 odd hours, which includes the 20 minute cardio postworkout.

On days I am tired to train or late from work I try doing ab/core work and 30-45 mins of cardio.

For cardio I have kept it all low impact, with a rare run on the treadmill. What I discovered is the Cybex Arctrainer and it is great, much better than the archaic treadmill. Running I prefer on track/road, in the open basically.

I do an alternate basis cardio, so if Day 1 is 'steady state', Day 2 is 'interval cardio' spacing it out on the pre-programmed modes available.

Trying to eat clean, but occasional binge happens.

Finished a 5lbs tub of ON, and if you go through the pdf attached, you will realize most other proteins are all not seemingly as good- considering most have Whey Concentrate as main ingredient and/or are not manufactured 'by' but 'for' the brand- biggest let down and eye-opener was my long standing favorite Myofusion.

Picked up a 5lbs ON again yesterday, and the rates are a killing now. Looking for ON Pro Complex APS (no, not the gainer) or a protein blend like Syntha6/ProV60/ProV8 etc.

Big thanks to Sohail for keeping the motivation going!!

My next is to clean up the diet, need to set the postworkout dinner right, since currently I eat whatever is cooked for everyone at home.

Have deliberately kept supplementation low and relied on actual foods, with only 1 scoop postworkout, which is now 1.5 scoops postworkout starting last night with Glutamine, and 1 scoop upon waking.

A multivitamin + cup of black coffee (sometimes) preworkout with an apple, and a banana postworkout and maybe a Gatorade with the postworkout shake.

I am not in the best frame, but given myself 90 days and will get back there.

If you find the time, do look up Somatics by Hanna. Here's a video on what I use for my posterior chain, and it is magical.

Another good one is the hip-hinge and I make time for such mobility drills.

Keep pushing!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf protein_guide_v3.pdf (2.31 MB, 331 views)
Old 26th July 2012, 12:12   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for replying.
When you use both arms for a exercise, when it comes to crunch, your stronger arm always works more to complete it.

Exercise arms separately to concentrate more on the weaker. I used to use a little heavier weights for ex on dumb bells for a while and do one extra set only on that. Try to use your left arm for more chores everyday also. How about push ups?

Last edited by srishiva : 26th July 2012 at 12:14.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:18   #3224
BHPian

Mandheer sir : gooood going, 4 weeks workout after a long rest is a good comeback. Hoping to workout with you after ramadaan, and yes, you are yet to come and do Bootcamp training and some acrobatics at my gym.

By the my training has stopped since ramadaan is on. So just eating and resting out, but before that was into 3 days of weight training, and 3 days of bootcamp/functional training with almost no rest. Worked the best for me. Will update more once i start training again.

Protein prices have reached the sky. Remember me and mandheer searching all over the internet and shops around.

Keep Repping
Old 26th July 2012, 12:21   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva

When you use both arms for a exercise, when it comes to crunch, your stronger arm always works more to complete it.
Thanks. Been practising some pushups with only the left arm and some ankle raises(i think thats the name) on my left foot. Hope to improve but what happens is once if we stop the separate exercises; it goes back to the same thing. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks