Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 18:38   #3091
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
Thanks mandheers.

Sorry I did mean Cuff - rotator calf - LoL [hope it was funny]

Fully with you on your input and I will do more research as you suggest - you motivated me to get my shoulder back in shape!

After reading your suggestion, one critical aspect did occur to me that I would emphasize [and I missed from the original list] -

Muscular imbalance from workouts - With my primary focus on chest, everything else was secondary. I did do rows but I spent more time on the bench than the rest of the workout put together [excluding cardio] - this was well over a decade ago.

Don't recall how much I did with the rows since I used the machine - but it was more going through the motions rather than a concerted effort. Boy..I have not done squats in ages. I used to like the inclined machine and was doing a couple of 45lbs on each side.

With all the benching, I developed hefty triceps - at one point it looked a little awkward.

Coming back to RC, I feel the inclined press is what triggered the RC issues [at least this time around] - I also had discomfort on the declined but not as bad. Flat bench was Ok for most part. Flys was ok too.

Now I cannot even lift the bar - had a similar episode in 2009 that I recovered from.

I have started some very simple strengthening routines with very low [to no] wts to target RC specifically. I will post my results and what ever else I find. Because currently, it is quite painful to even lift very light wts. I do use the rowing machine.

-Krishna
All workouts need to be push, pull or squat.

The exercises justifying these movements are simple, and if you take my advise- use the rowing machine as a supplementary exercise, after you do some bar work for lats+traps.

Look up 'Pendlay Rows', and since you mention imbalances:

T NATION | The More You Lift, the Worse You Look?

You should, ideally, be able to row as much as you bench, or maybe just a bit lesser.

The heaviest I have benched is 270, and that's exactly how much I have rowed max too, but I didn't know the correlation back then.

Primary focus, and if you wish to grow bigger and stronger, should be on legs and maybe back.

The bench press is overrated, really, and I have mentioned this before in my posts here that it is also a major cause of injuries.

The decline press will be slightly easier since it is least involving for the shoulder complex. The angle determines the shoulder recruitment, the higher the angle the more the involvement of shoulder- that's why the overhead press is a direct shoulder exercise, the incline bench press is mid-way, the flat bench press lesser than that and finally the decline gets the shoulder almost out of the equation.

To get on the path to recovery, stop all movements which cause pain. Start feeling your back and shoulder muscles when you train them, stretch them and pose in between sets.

Posing and stretching have the most beneficial effects on growth and joint recovery, they get blood flowing etc and you start controlling and feeling the muscle groups.

Train arms separately, and get started with leg training on another day.
Old 17th November 2011, 00:01   #3092
BHPian

I was recommended a supplement called Maximum Nutrition - Massive Mass Gainer by my trainer. Here is what it says on the back of it.

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Malt Extract, Whey Protein Concentrate (Derived from cold temperature processed micro filtered whey protein), Milk Solids, Creatine Monohydrate, Sucralose, Aspartame, Soy lecithin, Vitamins & Minerals, permitted natural and artificial flavors.

I don't want to take something that could harm the body (obviously) and also, I don't want to take something that will have adverse effects once I stop taking it or going to the gym (like gaining too much weight or going out of shape). Frankly, I don't want to take any supplements to gain weight in the first place, but everyone I talk to says its impossible to get so much nutrition regularly by eating normal food everyday (that too for vegetarians). Help please.

EDIT: I know there is an overwhelming amount of information on the previous 200+ pages, but it will take sometime for me to go through every page. From whatever little I have searched and read, some people are for taking supplements, some people are totally against supplements, some people are against only certain type of supplements. What is the verdict people?

Last edited by Ho0ligaN : 17th November 2011 at 00:17.
Old 17th November 2011, 08:10   #3093
BHPian

Eating 7 times a day is mandatory if you really want to put on some quality muscle mass.
You just can't substitute your food with any weight gainer or any whey protein. These shakes are to be used post workout and some other times of the day when food is hard to get hold of. Make sure you eat plenty of baked potatoes/sweet potatoes/cereals + whole eggs, milk/cheese + almonds. As for the supplements, look for a quality and potent multivitamin formula and BCAA powder (which will directly initiate muscle building) and creatine. Other supplements are not that crucial and those macros should be obtained from your diet.
Remember, eating 7 times a day is much tougher than training 5 times a week consistently and that's where most of people fail to add mass to their frames.
1-Testosterone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:51   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Eating 7 times a day is mandatory if you really want to put on some quality muscle mass.
You just can't substitute your food with any weight gainer or any whey protein. These shakes are to be used post workout and some other times of the day when food is hard to get hold of. Make sure you eat plenty of baked potatoes/sweet potatoes/cereals + whole eggs, milk/cheese + almonds. As for the supplements, look for a quality and potent multivitamin formula and BCAA powder (which will directly initiate muscle building) and creatine. Other supplements are not that crucial and those macros should be obtained from your diet.
Remember, eating 7 times a day is much tougher than training 5 times a week consistently and that's where most of people fail to add mass to their frames.
Completely agree on this front, too much reliance on protein shakes is not good and results in long run are compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
I was recommended a supplement called Maximum Nutrition - Massive Mass Gainer by my trainer. Here is what it says on the back of it.

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Malt Extract, Whey Protein Concentrate (Derived from cold temperature processed micro filtered whey protein), Milk Solids, Creatine Monohydrate, Sucralose, Aspartame, Soy lecithin, Vitamins & Minerals, permitted natural and artificial flavors.

I don't want to take something that could harm the body (obviously) and also, I don't want to take something that will have adverse effects once I stop taking it or going to the gym (like gaining too much weight or going out of shape). Frankly, I don't want to take any supplements to gain weight in the first place, but everyone I talk to says its impossible to get so much nutrition regularly by eating normal food everyday (that too for vegetarians). Help please.

EDIT: I know there is an overwhelming amount of information on the previous 200+ pages, but it will take sometime for me to go through every page. From whatever little I have searched and read, some people are for taking supplements, some people are totally against supplements, some people are against only certain type of supplements. What is the verdict people?
I believe this is the gainer you talking about:

Maximum Nutrition - Best products for best people

You can safely skip it and opt for a quality protein supplement and supplement that with creatine, simple.

Look up a VFM (value for money) whey protein, solely for post workout needs, my personal favorite is ON 100% Whey.

Add a good protein blend serving for lunch and dinner, and you are sorted. No gainers are required, my personal favorite for a blend is BSN Syntha6.

Most other supplements are not really essential, but a quality Multivitamin is a great investment.

If you looking to gain weight, it all depends on your training program, diet and sleep to decide whether the gained weight will be quality or quantity.

Coming to opinions on supplements: I always say if you getting your body to do something over and above the usual, you need to make amends to your diet and rest above usual as well; and supplements are definitely required.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:06   #3095
Team-BHP Support

I don't follow this meal plan but it sure looks good and quite doable.

Men | Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit
Old 17th November 2011, 14:19   #3096
BHPian

Good links, thought I'd share here.

Might come handy...

Supplements To Grow On: What To Take And When | Muscle & Strength

Sequence of Cardio and Weights - Order of Cardio and Weights
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:47   #3097
BHPian

Ok, so I ended up buying 2 vouchers for World Gym which entitle me to 1 month's gym etc for just 249/-; and I can only use one.

So, if any of you muscleheads interested plz PM me and I will email the voucher across.

For more details plz look up: Up to 95% OFF Monthly Membership (Gym, Cardio, Steam) & MORE at World Gym | CRAZEAL.com

Only valid in select cities etc.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:10   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Ok, so I ended up buying 2 vouchers for World Gym which entitle me to 1 month's gym etc for just 249/-; and I can only use one.

So, if any of you muscleheads interested plz PM me and I will email the voucher across.

For more details plz look up: Up to 95% OFF Monthly Membership (Gym, Cardio, Steam) & MORE at World Gym | CRAZEAL.com

Only valid in select cities etc.

Ok, window closed. Voucher gone already!
Old 25th November 2011, 15:43   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Any experience with this website? They have some good deals for some of the things I am looking for.

India Supplments
Old 29th November 2011, 13:22   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Guys,
Any experience with this website? They have some good deals for some of the things I am looking for.

India Supplments
They seem to have good range and prices are ok too.

Might just give them a try. Been looking for MRI products.
Old 29th November 2011, 13:38   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
They seem to have good range and prices are ok too.

Might just give them a try. Been looking for MRI products.
Me too, will give them a try and report back how good/bad they are.

Cheers
Old 5th December 2011, 16:25   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Spot on X machine ! Thats what I've been doing for sometime now though I've started with weights now. I'm stronly against supplements. Donot take them at all. The reason for your bloated self is the supplements.
The reason why this thread is limp now is because everything that could've been said has been said, over and over and over, and then some. Newbies would do good to roll back 100 pages and read this interesting and VERY informative thread. There are some gems and awesome nuggets of information, from rookies to the heavyweights alike.

The bottom line you can draw from all this is there is no single formula that can help everyone, other than to go out there and move your body, any which way. And... *HAVE FUN DOING IT* !!

I suggest we open a "Health" section for tbhpians in the Shifting Gears category, where individual questions can be asked and answered. I would urge moderators to close this thread now, as 99.99% of Bodybuilding questions have been asked before and done to death...
Old 12th December 2011, 15:38   #3103
BHPian

I was looking for treadmill for purely home use, Doesn't need highend, kindly suggest some brand which are available in delhi from start to mid range max.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:40   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I was looking for treadmill for purely home use, Doesn't need highend, kindly suggest some brand which are available in delhi from start to mid range max.
You might find your answer here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...treadmill.html
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:25   #3105
Senior - BHPian

My cousin brother has bought enduramass (Price Rs.390 for 500 grams) for the purpose of building mass/muscles.

What experts have opinions about this product - Enduramass?

Is it OK to use or I should ask him to not to use it.

Please share Benefits and side effects to be precise!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks