Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 20:59   #2986
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
But somehow, i still feel lethargic at times. That's why need to do little exercise at work.
Somewhat like my situation few years back. While exercise will certainly help, Try taking some multi vitamin with morning breakfast or launch.

I had started taking 'Daily' from Amway Nutrilite for 3 months and within 15-20 days, the lazyness was gone.

For last 2 months I am changing my brands, In the start i took Max's multi-vitamin, currently on Revital.

Expert on this forum can also suggest a lot of better ones as well.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:49   #2987
BHPian

Should I have complex carbs in my post workout shake if I work out at night? I hit the gym at 8ish and wind up by 9PM. Within 5-10 minutes I have some glucose followed by a PWO shake consisting of 2 scoops of Myofusion, 70-100 gms of quaker oats and milk/water. Since I don't do any physical activity after that, do i still need to take those carbs? Or should I restrict them to mornings/afternoon and before workout?

Secondly, will taking BCCA supplements make a lot of difference? Or can they be avoided? As it is I am spending a lot on Whey. Is it better to spend that extra money on some more whey or BCCA supplements?

There is an ebay seller who is selling Saputo Whey (concentrate as well as isolate). I had heard that Saputo whey was tasteless (unflavored), however the saputo listings on ebay are flavored. Is this the real saputo whey or some fake alternate?
http://stores.ebay.in/muscle-feast-s...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 29th June 2011, 14:34   #2988
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever since I joined the gym on June 6th, been true to self and went almost every day (except for 1 day and sundays) with typical routine being the following :-

Treadmill (15mins-20mins)
Cross Trainer (5 mins)
Cycling (10mins)
Sitting Cycling (Dont know exact word for this equipment : 5 mins)
Twisters (2 sets each side)
Abs (2 sets each of 3 different kinds) : I am alternating abs with exercising the love handles each day.
If time permits, some free style leg kicks, leg ups etc.

I am spending a minimum of 1 hour in the gym and in these 3 weeks lost 2 kgs.

Low weight loss is primarily because i havent been able to control my urge for good food "completely". Will reduce that as well as body starts getting accustomed to "non tasty" food....

Which brings me to a question. From last couple of days, experiencing body pains and really tired around 10pm (otherwise i sleep late). My gym timing are 730pm to 830pm.

Can I take a combiflam (or any other painkiller) for body pain? Or is it just a phase that will pass in a few days?
Old 30th June 2011, 20:34   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Should I have complex carbs in my post workout shake if I work out at night? I hit the gym at 8ish and wind up by 9PM. Within 5-10 minutes I have some glucose followed by a PWO shake consisting of 2 scoops of Myofusion, 70-100 gms of quaker oats and milk/water. Since I don't do any physical activity after that, do i still need to take those carbs? Or should I restrict them to mornings/afternoon and before workout?

Secondly, will taking BCCA supplements make a lot of difference? Or can they be avoided? As it is I am spending a lot on Whey. Is it better to spend that extra money on some more whey or BCCA supplements?

There is an ebay seller who is selling Saputo Whey (concentrate as well as isolate). I had heard that Saputo whey was tasteless (unflavored), however the saputo listings on ebay are flavored. Is this the real saputo whey or some fake alternate?
http://stores.ebay.in/muscle-feast-s...=p4634.c0.m322
No, complex is required only preworkout, these are low GI and slower burning carbs to provide energy for workouts. They will unnecessarily get stored in your body for later use, also now that you working out late nights.

Carbs are not bad, just their type and time.

Glucose post workout is only for the insulin spike, to get your body's protein absorption etc up. Avoidable on a regular basis, only if you bulking.

Carbs need to be simple ones post workout, maybe a fruit like apple is great. Your post workout shake is great and am sure Myo being the best blend will provide essential carbs too.

Take fast carbs only until lunch is what I do, which includes banana for breakfast, rice for lunch etc.

BCAAs make a lot of difference, positively, but you can live without them since the most important time for BCAAs is pre and post workout, and the Myo comes infused with loads of them.

Myo is a blend and can be well taken both pre and post workout, 1 scoop each with oats+milk and an apple+salad respectively.

Hope that answers part your query.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 23:25   #2990
BHPian

Thanks mandheers, though I'm a bit confused about BCCA content in Myofusion. Earlier I was taking ON whey and it listed 5 grams of BCAAs on the nutrition label but the Myofusion label doesn't list any BCCAs. I know Myofusion has several sources of proteins so it's possible that they don't list the BCCA content separately because it may not be free form. Is the BCCA listing on ON Whey mostly a marketing gimmick or do they add additional BCCAs to their whey?

Last edited by Astleviz : 30th June 2011 at 23:27.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:47   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ever since I joined the gym on June 6th, been true to self and went almost every day (except for 1 day and sundays) with typical routine being the following :-

Cross Trainer (5 mins)
Cycling (10mins)
Abs (2 sets each of 3 different kinds) : I am alternating abs with exercising the love handles each day.

Low weight loss is primarily because i havent been able to control my urge for good food "completely". Will reduce that as well as body starts getting accustomed to "non tasty" food....

Which brings me to a question. From last couple of days, experiencing body pains and really tired around 10pm (otherwise i sleep late). My gym timing are 730pm to 830pm.

Can I take a combiflam (or any other painkiller) for body pain? Or is it just a phase that will pass in a few days?
Do not take any painkillers, as you mentioned it is just a phase which will pass. Just make sure you are eating good food and resting well, btw the sitting cycle is called stationary bike
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:47   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Thanks mandheers, though I'm a bit confused about BCCA content in Myofusion. Earlier I was taking ON whey and it listed 5 grams of BCAAs on the nutrition label but the Myofusion label doesn't list any BCCAs. I know Myofusion has several sources of proteins so it's possible that they don't list the BCCA content separately because it may not be free form. Is the BCCA listing on ON Whey mostly a marketing gimmick or do they add additional BCCAs to their whey?
Don't worry too much about BCAA content in Myo is what I will suggest. It has a few proprietery blends if I recollect correctly, but yes they do not tom-tom BCAAs like the way ON does.

ON's products are surely better fortified and best bang for the buck, and yes it is a lot of marketing which has earned them the revered status. They know what to pack and what to promote.

Gaspari, unlike ON, makes very hardcore (sounding+looking) specialized products which are seemingly for advanced users and may require to be stacked. ON if you notice builds individual products, and Gaspari promotes stacks, that's just my observation.

Just get a good multivitamin and stick to Myo, there are no immediate noticeable results from additional BCAAs, just that they help in uptake etc of protein and it's better synthesis.

Refer: BCAA Information, FAQs & Products | Muscle & Strength

Many foods also provide BCAAs, ones with high content are rye, meat, almonds, cashews, eggs, fish, chicken, chickpeas, lentils and liver.

I wouldn't worry about adding them specifically for the sake of adding them.
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:54   #2993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Do not take any painkillers, as you mentioned it is just a phase which will pass. Just make sure you are eating good food and resting well, btw the sitting cycle is called stationary bike
I reckon thats what happened. My body pains have disappeared. I just feel a light pain in foot when i first get out of bed in morning but, that too passes away in a few minutes.

Btw, I know what's a stationary bike. This equipment is where you sit down and cycle with pedals positioned slightly inclined. It does not look like a normal stationary bicycle.
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:37   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Cross Trainer (5 mins)
Cycling (10mins)

You are overdoing the cardio bit. Bound to be aches, pains fatigue and what not.

Do cardio everyday, but play around with intensity. So some days could be just an all out treadmill brisk walk + jog, another could be a very intense pedalling bout, another day could be the cross trainer. That would IMO work better than doing everything everyday. Makes it more fun, and you will find your edge in one of the above, so set goals, better them every fortnight.

Do your ab routine before cardio, and throw in some leg work only on alternate days and you will benefit tremendously, maybe just bodyweight squats (beyond parallel, and almost full), or just rest an empty Olympic bar on your shoulders for squats. Do 5 sets of 10-12 reps, comfortably, feeling every muscle that moves. Then jump on any machine and give it your best time.

Have a bowl of oats before you hit gym and an apple postworkout with a nice 'clean' meal.

Let me know what you think and if you have any queries.

Stretch adequately and comfortably for the pains and aches and keep yourself well hydrated, try sipping Electral or Gatorade postworkout, and there will never be any pains.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:49   #2995
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys, your suggestions, advises (2 months back) helped me a lot. I have just completed my first 2 months in gym and results:

1.) Lost 6 KGs, and 3 inches at all level of abdomen.

2.) My fat% has come down from 24+% to around 16%.

3.) Can run 3kms flat under 18min, and completing 4km in 25min without any problem on treadmill.

4.) Can paddle stationary bicycle (up to level 4) for 40-50 min and covering more than 30-35kms.

5.) Can see the glimpses of obliques and upper abs.

6.) Have started wearing all old cloths which were giving feeling of chocking up every-time i was seeing them.

7.) The gym routine along with healthy & nutritive diet has helped me in achieving it, Now I drink around 4/5 ltr. of water and take 5/6 meals. Wherein I was hardly drinking 1-1.5 ltr of water and 2-3 meals.

Now I am starting the next phase of my journey and will be gaining weight mostly muscle mass, for that I again need advises and suggestions. Before that following will be my daily routine based on my work timings (3pm - 11pm).

7:30-7:45: Wakeup
8:00: Ready to take the pre-workout meal (MEAL 1)
9:00 - 10:30: Gym session
10:30-11:30: Post workout meal (MEAL 2)
1:30: Lunch (MEAL 3)
4:00 - 5:00: Fruits, in office( I pack them with me) (MEAL 4)
6:00: Evening meal, I dont know what to have and what I can pack with me from home (MEAL 5)
8:00 - 9:00: Dinner (MEAL 6)
12:30: Something to munch before sleeping if carvings are there (MEAL 7)
1:00: Good Night

Please, please help me with:

1.) What should be my idle pre-workout, should i start taking oats as i will have only up to 1 hr before gym, or a banana with pre-workout protein shake will do.

2.) What else for post-workout, i am currently having Dynamize's ISO 100. Planning to have Myfusion, once first one is finished. Does along with whey protein, i need anything extra like BCAA or others, given my workout would be lighter not very intense and i wont be going for bulk, but leaner muscles.

3.) Muscles will require some protein by evening, should i take my protein shake along with me to office, or I have to go for some slow secreting protein sourrces like eggs.

4.) Should I munch something before going to bed, or its better avoided. Or Should I opt for cassin protein?

5.) For multi-vitamin I am currently taking Revital, Shalcal (Calsium). Is that ok, or should i change them, hows Amway's Nutrilite 'Daily'. Any other suggestions.

6.) How many days to workout, Currently I was doing 6 days a week, should i reduce it to 5 days (first 2 days weight, 3 day Off OR cardio 4/5 day again weight), Please help me with what could be idle workout schedule to start with. How many body parts a day.

I know I am asking too much, but the kind of response one get here are the reason, I come up with so many questions.

Please help me

Last edited by TheBeastFieast : 3rd July 2011 at 01:54.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:06   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Thanks a lot guys, your suggestions, advises (2 months back) helped me a lot. I have just completed my first 2 months in gym and results:

1.) Lost 6 KGs, and 3 inches at all level of abdomen.

2.) My fat% has come down from 24+% to around 16%.

3.) Can run 3kms flat under 18min, and completing 4km in 25min without any problem on treadmill.

4.) Can paddle stationary bicycle (up to level 4) for 40-50 min and covering more than 30-35kms.

5.) Can see the glimpses of obliques and upper abs.

6.) Have started wearing all old cloths which were giving feeling of chocking up every-time i was seeing them.

7.) The gym routine along with healthy & nutritive diet has helped me in achieving it, Now I drink around 4/5 ltr. of water and take 5/6 meals. Wherein I was hardly drinking 1-1.5 ltr of water and 2-3 meals.

Now I am starting the next phase of my journey and will be gaining weight mostly muscle mass, for that I again need advises and suggestions. Before that following will be my daily routine based on my work timings (3pm - 11pm).

7:30-7:45: Wakeup
8:00: Ready to take the pre-workout meal (MEAL 1)
9:00 - 10:30: Gym session
10:30-11:30: Post workout meal (MEAL 2)
1:30: Lunch (MEAL 3)
4:00 - 5:00: Fruits, in office( I pack them with me) (MEAL 4)
6:00: Evening meal, I dont know what to have and what I can pack with me from home (MEAL 5)
8:00 - 9:00: Dinner (MEAL 6)
12:30: Something to munch before sleeping if carvings are there (MEAL 7)
1:00: Good Night

Please, please help me with:

1.) What should be my idle pre-workout, should i start taking oats as i will have only up to 1 hr before gym, or a banana with pre-workout protein shake will do.

2.) What else for post-workout, i am currently having Dynamize's ISO 100. Planning to have Myfusion, once first one is finished. Does along with whey protein, i need anything extra like BCAA or others, given my workout would be lighter not very intense and i wont be going for bulk, but leaner muscles.

3.) Muscles will require some protein by evening, should i take my protein shake along with me to office, or I have to go for some slow secreting protein sourrces like eggs.

4.) Should I munch something before going to bed, or its better avoided. Or Should I opt for cassin protein?

5.) For multi-vitamin I am currently taking Revital, Shalcal (Calsium). Is that ok, or should i change them, hows Amway's Nutrilite 'Daily'. Any other suggestions.

6.) How many days to workout, Currently I was doing 6 days a week, should i reduce it to 5 days (first 2 days weight, 3 day Off OR cardio 4/5 day again weight), Please help me with what could be idle workout schedule to start with. How many body parts a day.

I know I am asking too much, but the kind of response one get here are the reason, I come up with so many questions.

Please help me
Thats a wonderful progress and commitment

I will try to answer your questions,

1. Since you are workingout early in the morning your pre workout meal should consist of Carb & Protein(No fats), For protein Whey is ideal and for carbs you can should a mix of fast and slow digesting carbs for example a fruit and some oats. If you eat only fruit then it is absorbed by the body very quickly and since your workouts is lasting for more than an hour your energy might crash in between and if you take only slow digesting carbs like oats you might not have instant energy since you have just one hour gap after eating. Instead of a fruit/oats combination you can also try white rice or rice cakes, Lastly add a strong cup of coffee or a caffeine capsule would be even better!

2. Post workout its Whey again for quick digesting protein and for carbs you can stick to rice if you want to make it a real meal instead of just a shake. You can also add some creatine into the shake.

3. Try to make this a real meal like eggs,chicken with some oats,Grits,rice or wheat bread, if you cant make it a real meal then a whey along with some carb source mentioned above should be fine.

4. You should eat something before going to bed preferably a protein/fat meal for example whey, eggs, chicken with some fats like almonds, olive oil, flax seed oil.

5. I am not sure about the Multi's you have mentioned but as far as I have seen most of the Multi vitamins locally avaiable here is under dosed and just not enough for a grown up man who is regularly workingout. You can order some multi's online. check bodybuilding.com, you can purchase a years supply and will it will workout cheaper.

6. As a beginner 30 minutes of weight training is all you would need and there are lot of training splits out there so do some research which suits you better, you can also try what I have mentioned below

Monday - Chest & Shoulders/Cardio
Tuesday - Back/Cardio
Wednesday - No Weight Training, only cardio
Thursday - Arms/Cardio
Friday - Legs but no cardio
Saturday - Cardio or rest
Sunday - Rest

On a general note keep your fruits, wheat and dairy products to the minimum while trying to loose weight.

I am sure you will have more questions after this, shoot them

Last edited by Red Circle : 4th July 2011 at 12:07.
Red Circle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 17:27   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a wonderful progress and commitment

I will try to answer your questions,
Thanks a lot, I will be discussing my trainer for the workout schedule. It looks wonderful and simple.

Because of my 34 years of habit, My system is reluctant to get feed early in the morning. I used to get hunger feelings only after 4/5 hours of waking up.

Today, I took the whey (1 scoop) after waking up and post getting refreshed, guess what my system bowled it out within 1 hr, I was just getting warmed up on treadmill and within walking about 1km, i had to go for nature's call.

Well that happened when i started taking it post workout and system took 8-10 days and since then its all normal.

For now I would be taking whey protein along with some Nutrichoice biscuits (oats, ragi, 5 grains) as pre-workout (1hour before). What fruits are ok to take it, i guess apple, how about banana.

Post workout again whey along with oats in skimmed milk.

Also before going to bed, i will take whey protein (should i opt for cassin?) + few almonds.

Hows that looks, I will be sharing my results in next few days (8-12 days).

BTW: I am 34 years old, 5"7' tall , and weighing 68.300KG with abdomen of 31inch (1inch above naval), based on that my fat% shows 14.5%, if that's true, i am very happy. Next target is getting it around 11-12% and then just maintain it.
Old 5th July 2011, 00:06   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Thanks a lot, I will be discussing my trainer for the workout schedule. It looks wonderful and simple.

Because of my 34 years of habit, My system is reluctant to get feed early in the morning. I used to get hunger feelings only after 4/5 hours of waking up.

Today, I took the whey (1 scoop) after waking up and post getting refreshed, guess what my system bowled it out within 1 hr, I was just getting warmed up on treadmill and within walking about 1km, i had to go for nature's call.

Well that happened when i started taking it post workout and system took 8-10 days and since then its all normal.

For now I would be taking whey protein along with some Nutrichoice biscuits (oats, ragi, 5 grains) as pre-workout (1hour before). What fruits are ok to take it, i guess apple, how about banana.

Post workout again whey along with oats in skimmed milk.

Also before going to bed, i will take whey protein (should i opt for cassin?) + few almonds.

Hows that looks, I will be sharing my results in next few days (8-12 days).

BTW: I am 34 years old, 5"7' tall , and weighing 68.300KG with abdomen of 31inch (1inch above naval), based on that my fat% shows 14.5%, if that's true, i am very happy. Next target is getting it around 11-12% and then just maintain it.
pre workout apple and banana both are fine, instead of biscuits have a scoop of uncooked oats, just soak it in water for 5 minutes and drink it along with the fruit and whey, post workout have some quick acting carbs like rice and ditch the milk for now. Almonds and whey should be fine at night, casein is just expensive and anyways the fats in the almonds is going to slow down the digestion of whey so yo will have a steady supply of aminos while sleeping.
Red Circle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 18:16   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
pre workout apple and banana both are fine, instead of biscuits have a scoop of uncooked oats, just soak it in water for 5 minutes and drink it along with the fruit and whey, post workout have some quick acting carbs like rice and ditch the milk for now. Almonds and whey should be fine at night, casein is just expensive and anyways the fats in the almonds is going to slow down the digestion of whey so yo will have a steady supply of aminos while sleeping.
Again Many Thanks, Human Body is an amazing machinery. Just 2nd day with pre-workout whey and my system absorbed it nicely and the energy during workout was just great. Should start taking fruits / oats as pre-workout very soon.

Great tip for almond and whey, this would be good munching option for me before going to bed.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:52   #3000
Senior - BHPian

experts, need advice!!

what would be a good workout as a couple to lose weight and get in shape?

The story is simple. My gf is making 'gym debut' and me returning to gym after 5 month hiatus. Please advice on exercise, routines and diet to follow. Main aim is to lose weight and get rid of excessive fat around stomach and increase stamina and fitness.

Gym visits would be done 3-4 days a week. Days would be Mon, Wed, Thur, Sun. Time would be evening. Between 5-7 pm.

Don't have any trainers or instructors at gym, so have to do it on our own. Any advice would be very useful.

Thank You.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks