Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 17:53   #2956
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Harry. Appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

I reckon I need to do what you did as Iam currently at 104kgs and its not a good feeling, I tell you.....that was a remarkably come back from 114kgs to 85kgs which is a 29kg drop in 18 months = almost 2kg a month.

I will follow the routine that you prescribed. The trainer in gym was pretty tough in his routine and was keeping a constant eye to make sure i am really roughing it out.

Btw, I didnt know that running on the treadmill after doing abs exercise will make fat burn faster. Any logic behind it?

And, what's a fat burner?

Hey MOBIKE,
No specific logic. First you need to understand that the human body is a very adaptive organism and complex one too. Not every type or style of training will suit every body because it depends on many factors.
You can even do your abdominal exercises after the treadmill. One thing that I'll advise you is that while doing your abdominal exercises make every rep count. Let me explain:-
1. exhale while you exert= while doing crunches as you come up exhale and pause for a second or two.
2.keep the momentum continuous= while doing the crunches don't rest your head when going down. Before touching the head to the floor come back up. And inhale when you go down.
Same funda applies to all your lower ab exercises and even your weight training.EXHALE WHILE YOU EXERT.

And its the quality or reps and not the quantity that matters. I see folks doing 50-100 reps on abs. Its useless. Do quality 10 reps as I suggested above and believe you in me it'll burn like hell.

There are many ways to train. Every individual reacts differently to each exercise. Experiment and see what gets you results.

A FAT BURNER is a thermogenic product meaning that it induces a process called thermogenisis in the body. In layman's language it produces heat. It amps up your metabolism and your are able to burn your calories faster. You will feel and sweat more. These fat burners are usually used by dieting bodybuilders, models etc.
But I'd suggest that you stay away from it even if the gym coach advises you.

ALL THE BEST
Old 7th June 2011, 18:14   #2957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
stop eating rice and cut down your carbs. Dont eat carbs 4hours before you sleep. You can have one bananana pre workout and one post but instead of having banana have oats pre workout if u want to cut down.Make a 6meal diet.all the best
Thanks MSuperCool. Any substitute for rice and roti you'd suggest
as part of lunch and dinner? One thing I can definitely do without
overhauling my diet completely is taking a Protein Shake each at
morning, after lunch and Post Workout. Also, I can increase the
number of egg whites to 4-5 (from the current 2) at each of the
3 bigger meals. Thoughts?
Old 7th June 2011, 22:51   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harry. Appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

I reckon I need to do what you did as Iam currently at 104kgs and its not a good feeling, I tell you.....that was a remarkably come back from 114kgs to 85kgs which is a 29kg drop in 18 months = almost 2kg a month.

I will follow the routine that you prescribed. The trainer in gym was pretty tough in his routine and was keeping a constant eye to make sure i am really roughing it out.

Btw, I didnt know that running on the treadmill after doing abs exercise will make fat burn faster. Any logic behind it?

And, what's a fat burner?
Honestly my goal was not to lose weight but to build a physique which i will be proud of and thats why i did the toughest thing of losing fat and building muscle at the same time. Trust me it feels extremely good when you are back in shape
Anyways coming back to your Question this running after exercise was recommended to me by a trainer who is also a good friend as well and it has worked incredibly for me atleast. You can read this to get some more idea - To burn more fat, don

Also, fat burners help but they don't suit everyone so i will suggest if in future you plan to take one then do with proper consultation with someone who has good knowledge in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
If you are taking a shake in morning and after work out also along with the eggs in the day then i guess you are taking enough protein. What i feel is you need to change your exercise routine to make it more intense to get the results you want.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th June 2011 at 22:54.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 01:01   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
.......And, I used to eat 3-4 times out in a week. That will be stopped from this week.......
Hope that doesn't mean you will also stop your daily posts in the Hyderabad eating out thread?
straightdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 02:23   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Dude u got to stop eating rice, u can eat brown rice if you want in your lunch but not much. 2-3rotis in your lunch. 1 roti you can have in your dinner. No need to take protein shake post lunch. Can include 3-4egg whites in your lunch and dinner.
msupercool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 17:04   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
Dude u got to stop eating rice, u can eat brown rice if you want in your lunch but not much.
My wife is going nuts with my demands of banning rice at home

Once a week is okay I guess.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:28   #2962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
And its the quality or reps and not the quantity that matters. I see folks doing 50-100 reps on abs. Its useless. Do quality 10 reps as I suggested above and believe you in me it'll burn like hell.
Thanks, I agree on the quality of reps rather than quantity. Iam also aware of the breathing pattern. Will keep that in mind.

Also, my body already generates lot of heat. I mean, i cannot stand even light warm temparatures means I should stay away from these fat burners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Honestly my goal was not to lose weight but to build a physique which i will be proud of and thats why i did the toughest thing of losing fat and building muscle at the same time. Trust me it feels extremely good when you are back in shape
Absolutely agree. Just 2 days of rigorous workout has already made me feel so good that its unexplainable. The best part is my trainer is taking special care and showing me some unique stretching and aerobics type of stretches, jumps, leg ups that feels like fat is really burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Hope that doesn't mean you will also stop your daily posts in the Hyderabad eating out thread?
It's not like i have stopped eating out. But, will be cutting the frequency levels drastically. however, i still would post there for everyone's reading pleasure

Yesterday's workout was awesome. 1+ hour

1km on treadmill in 8.32 minutes with a mixture of 6kmph/9kmph

Repeated and :-

1km on treadmill in 8.15 minutes with a mixture of 6kmph/9kmph

10 minutes of cycling
5 minutes of crossover, this is tough
Remaining 30 minutes of aerobics and stretching

I already feel the fat burning. And, guess what, I havent even started my ab exercise yet.

Iam begining to enjoy it

P.S: Next update will come up on monday and thereafter a weekly update should be good to take this forward. Thanks all for your support
Old 8th June 2011, 17:29   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post

yes once a week is absolutely fine, you can have it on your rest days.
all the best
Old 8th June 2011, 17:44   #2964
BHPian

Nice thread. Glad to know that I'm not alone in this world in being overweight and trying to reduce it.

I just started 1 week back and my routine is

10-15 mins stretching and warm up
10 mins abs
15 mins cycling
15 mins cross trainer
15 mins treadmill (max speed 9kmph only).

Before the huge weight gain, I could run 10-13 mins continuous at speeds of 12 kmph on treadmill, but it has now reduced to 5 mins at 9kmph. Hoping to gain some stamina as days go by.

I'm finding diet control a very tough thing to do, since I have food at the company cafeteria. Also by the time I finish my gym, it'll be 9pm and I have dinner after that and sleep by 10:30. 4 hrs of rest before sleep is hard to get.

Few pointers pls.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:43   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post

Dont worry about avoiding rice so much, its not just rice or roti that will make you fat or stop you from loosing fat, it is the total calories that you consume in a day against the calories you burn.
Red Circle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 00:23   #2966
BHPian

Quote:

I already feel the fat burning. And, guess what, I havent even started my ab exercise yet
You dont need to do ab exercise to loose fat, in fact when you have a lot of fat to loose and you do ab exercises it will only make your abdomen look big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
10 mins abs
You can skip this all together!
Red Circle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 00:50   #2967
BHPian

[quote=Red Circle;2387900]You dont need to do ab exercise to loose fat, in fact when you have a lot of fat to loose and you do ab exercises it will only make your abdomen look big!

I don't quite agree with this statement. But this is my experience and opinion speaking only.
Ab exercises are also done in order to strengthen the core of our body(apart from other exercises). It is a culmination of consistency, diet and exercise that aids in our physique goals.
Regarding the theory behind abdomen looking big its not true. Even if you have a lot of fat exercising these muscles will make them only stronger. If the CORE is strong the whole body responds better. The "abdomen looking big" comes from the fact that the tummy is distended (in some by bloating-overeating and in some the abdominal wall is genetically little distended.) Of course in bodybuilders it is due to different reasons.
Only thing to bear in mind while exercising is that quality of reps will matter. And anyone (looking to lose weight or gain weight) must try to incorporate those exercises in their schedule which will strengthen the core muscles.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:48   #2968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
You dont need to do ab exercise to loose fat, in fact when you have a lot of fat to loose and you do ab exercises it will only make your abdomen look big! You can skip this all together!
Care to explain?

I do bieleve that you should first lose the abdomen weight by aerobic routine like cycling, treadmill, stretches etc then carry out ab exercises to firm up the abdomen area. Shed some light if you think my understanding is wrong.

Joined a Gym on June 6th, completed 6 days of this routine and I feel a world of difference already. I havent touched rice since then. Today is rest day and will probably indulge in it to a small extent

I used to walk regularly before joining a gym and my pace was 1.1kms in 12 mins which is 5.5kms/hour

Yesterday, i did 2.5kms in 20 mins on the treadmill which is equivalent to 7.5kms/hour. Is this a good pace? My next target is 3kms in 20 mins.

Also, yesterday was able to do 7kms in 15mins on cycle. How's this pace?

Thoughts please
Old 12th June 2011, 16:43   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
Care to explain?

I do bieleve that you should first lose the abdomen weight by aerobic routine like cycling, treadmill, stretches etc then carry out ab exercises to firm up the abdomen area. Shed some light if you think my understanding is wrong.

Joined a Gym on June 6th, completed 6 days of this routine and I feel a world of difference already. I havent touched rice since then. Today is rest day and will probably indulge in it to a small extent

I used to walk regularly before joining a gym and my pace was 1.1kms in 12 mins which is 5.5kms/hour

Yesterday, i did 2.5kms in 20 mins on the treadmill which is equivalent to 7.5kms/hour. Is this a good pace? My next target is 3kms in 20 mins.

Also, yesterday was able to do 7kms in 15mins on cycle. How's this pace?

Thoughts please
The reason to do ab exercises is to make them pop out and show up and that is achievable only when you are below 10% body fat, to be specific you got to be in the range of 7-8% to really see your abs clearly and that is when you do ab exercises to make them appear more prominent. Just few pages back I have posted some pics of mine, I have never done any kind of ab exercises but still can see the abs but again they are not as prominent as you see on a fitness model, I hope you got the idea?

With regard to your cardio routine nobody can tell you what pace is good for you because its you who has to decide that, general rule is if you are able to sing a song while running on a treadmill then your intensity is not high enough and if you are not able to speak as you normally do then your intensity is too high, so you need to try to keep it in between.

Finally, the difference what you find just after a week of joining gym is because you are loosing some water weight, your body is in a shock because of all the cardio and its after 2-3 weeks when you really start loosing actual body fat.
Red Circle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 16:59   #2970
BHPian

[quote=BIG SARAN;2387925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
You dont need to do ab exercise to loose fat, in fact when you have a lot of fat to loose and you do ab exercises it will only make your abdomen look big!

I don't quite agree with this statement. But this is my experience and opinion speaking only.
Ab exercises are also done in order to strengthen the core of our body(apart from other exercises). It is a culmination of consistency, diet and exercise that aids in our physique goals.
Regarding the theory behind abdomen looking big its not true. Even if you have a lot of fat exercising these muscles will make them only stronger. If the CORE is strong the whole body responds better. The "abdomen looking big" comes from the fact that the tummy is distended (in some by bloating-overeating and in some the abdominal wall is genetically little distended.) Of course in bodybuilders it is due to different reasons.
Only thing to bear in mind while exercising is that quality of reps will matter. And anyone (looking to lose weight or gain weight) must try to incorporate those exercises in their schedule which will strengthen the core muscles.
you are correct in saying ab exercise is also done in order to strengthen core but when you are really high on body fat its just not possible to contract the abdominal muscles while doing ab crunches, if you have seen people with a tummy doing ab crunches in the gym they are not really contracting the ab muscles they are just lifting there head up from the ground and going back and this type of crunches will not strengthen your core, it will only hurt your lower back!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks