Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:28   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

I need an exercise mat (6' x 3'), something that absorbs impact during high jumping so that landing is not hard. So I went to the local market and was looking at mats that are used in lifts etc. Its rubber basically, about 5-6mm thick but the cost of it was 125/- per sq foot so this mat came out to 2250/-.

Does anyone know if I can buy a proper exercise/jumping mat of 6' x 3' up to 2000/-?

Otherwise I was thinking of going to the Sadar Bazar in Old Delhi and get the same rubber mat, hopefully at a lower price. Any pointers would be helpful, thanks.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:38   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yup. Which is why my second dose is at 12 noon. I have to wear the damn thing off.

Quality protein = myofusion good enough? Do I do casein as well? Will 12 egg whites + 200 gms of chicken + 2 scoops of myofusion be good protein intake for the day?

I'm doing 4 days on weights (chest + bi's; Legs; back + tri's; shoulders). One day off. Then a day on circuit (wondering if I should do the daniel craig work out :P). Then another day off. Wanna go do some climbing on one day.
Yes, Myofusion is great, but try getting pure Isolates immediately post workout (the scoop between training and your swim).

Myofusion is good for the rest of day and before bedtime too.

Rest of your diet is bang on, don't sweat it.

Try clubbing as follows on cutting phases: Chest+Back, Bi+Tri+Delts, Legs+Traps. Allows better rest and recovery since you are not hitting a major muscle group every workout day and doing traps (shrug work etc) on Leg day ensures you continue looking broader whilst getting leaner.

Off days can be worked around basis feel, you wont need many while on ECA, that you can be rest assured of.

My personal fav is to just do Squats on any off day, even if it's within a day of Leg day, but not immediately after Leg day. Starting with an empty bar for warm ups and keep adding weights till you can only squeeze out 5 reps, preferably on a wide stance to ensure you don't go very heavy, just feeling the movement and ensuring adequate lumbar extension.

Keep the thread posted on progress and pics if you would want to share any.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:52   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
* BUMP * any suggestions guys ?
Hi kri$hna, giving your post a read, will come back on your query.

Don't lose heart mate.

It's a great thing you've taken the plunge. Do look up two things online, one's a person Mark Rippetoe and the other's a website run by a guy Mehdi, who is inspired by Rippetoe and others: StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat

Your plan is getting too complex on the face of it, it would do you good to read about what these two guys have to say, and it will help you build a foundation of fitness that will see you through any time.

Beauty of it is, doesn't need any fancy equipment or it's understanding either.

As for diet, include paneer (cottage cheese is what they call it I guess) and are you open to Eggs? If yes, then have boiled egg whites, boiled soya nuggets, dry fruits etc.

The machine you've shown is the seated Chest Press and if you play around with seat height/angle adjustments (if available) then your elbow would not hit on some level or the other.

The other machine you've mentioned is the 'Pec Deck' maybe, where you bring arms inwards in a circular motion.

You may skip machines if you feel you are fit enough for exercises mentioned by the two guys I cited above.

Hope this helps. All or any exercise execution etc can be found on exrx.net
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:50   #3019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Yes, Myofusion is great, but try getting pure Isolates immediately post workout (the scoop between training and your swim).

Myofusion is good for the rest of day and before bedtime too.

Rest of your diet is bang on, don't sweat it.

Try clubbing as follows on cutting phases: Chest+Back, Bi+Tri+Delts, Legs+Traps. Allows better rest and recovery since you are not hitting a major muscle group every workout day and doing traps (shrug work etc) on Leg day ensures you continue looking broader whilst getting leaner.

Off days can be worked around basis feel, you wont need many while on ECA, that you can be rest assured of.

My personal fav is to just do Squats on any off day, even if it's within a day of Leg day, but not immediately after Leg day. Starting with an empty bar for warm ups and keep adding weights till you can only squeeze out 5 reps, preferably on a wide stance to ensure you don't go very heavy, just feeling the movement and ensuring adequate lumbar extension.

Keep the thread posted on progress and pics if you would want to share any.
Thanks mate. I like the legs + traps bit. Will start sharing pictures from this week, the body's going through some change in just the past few days.

Isolates eh...this whole getting ripped thing is ripping my wallet apart. So far, I've spent:

ECA Stack: 3,000
Myofusion: 3,500

Okay, it doesnt seem too much. How much do the isolates work out to? Iso91 right?
Old 25th July 2011, 18:11   #3020
BHPian

Redliner : Myofusion is expensive in bangalore, it bombay its retailing close to 3k or slightly lesser. Dont know about ECA, or ISO 91, but isO100 is close to 2.8 - 2.9k
Old 25th July 2011, 18:21   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Redliner : Myofusion is expensive in bangalore, it bombay its retailing close to 3k or slightly lesser. Dont know about ECA, or ISO 91, but isO100 is close to 2.8 - 2.9k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks mate. I like the legs + traps bit. Will start sharing pictures from this week, the body's going through some change in just the past few days.

Isolates eh...this whole getting ripped thing is ripping my wallet apart. So far, I've spent:

ECA Stack: 3,000
Myofusion: 3,500

Okay, it doesnt seem too much. How much do the isolates work out to? Iso91 right?
IsoSensation93 has started coming in 2lbs too, sells for about 2.5k and gives 28 servings, 30gm quality protein per serving and 1gm carbs.

Best for use only postworkout and the only one I find as a suitable alternate to IsoPure.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:04   #3022
Senior - BHPian

I get myofusion for 2700 and iso senstion for 3800.

@red liner- Can you post the pic of your Eca stack.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:35   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
* BUMP * any suggestions guys ?
Ditch the milk and samosa, are you a vegetarian? are you ready to use supplements or against them?

Last edited by Red Circle : 26th July 2011 at 17:44.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:05   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Hi kri$hna, giving your post a read, will come back on your query.

Don't lose heart mate. ...

As for diet, include paneer (cottage cheese is what they call it I guess) and are you open to Eggs? If yes, then have boiled egg whites, boiled soya nuggets, dry fruits etc.

...Hope this helps. All or any exercise execution etc can be found on exrx.net
Hey, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am going through the exrx.net now and the other site i ll go through once i reach home, it isn't opening from my office !

BTW, i am not an eggetarian, so no eggs in my diet as well. I eat cashew ocassionally, but time to make it a habit i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Ditch the milk and samosa, are you a vegetarian? are you ready to use supplements or against them?
Samosa is just a junk to fill my stomach during evening timepass chit-chat with colleagues By milk, you mean tea & coffee included? I have 3 cups of coffee a day and may be 1 cup of tea if i feel like.

Can you guys suggest on what to eat before/after gym to lose the awkward belly and gain strength ? i guess my diet isnt helping actually !

BTW, due to my preparation for an upcoming interview, i hadnt been to the gym for a week now, so if i start off again this week, am i looking at all the pains coming up again ? just out of curiousity
Old 26th July 2011, 20:52   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Samosa is just a junk to fill my stomach during evening timepass chit-chat with colleagues
We all have this habit. When I started with my diet and fitness regimen 3 months, I found that it was the evening snacks at office which was doing worst for me, i was taking samosas, patties, burgers, pizzas etc.

With proper exercise schedule I concentrated more on my diet as well and that worked wonder, i lost 7Kgs in 2 months and more importantly 3-4 inches all around the belly.

The typical diet i followed and still following:

Breakfast: oats with skimmed milk, I dont like the cornflacks taste but that is also very good option. Other options are whole grain wheat bread sandwich (minus any fattening creams, chatni etc.). Dont go for the brown bread, there is a difference between whole wheat bread and brown bread.

Mid morning meal: I normally take some juice (orange soya milk is excellent for me) Or just some seasonal fruit.

Launch: Here i decreased my roties intake from 3 to 2. Make it a plan to have Carbs (roties), Protein (Daals) and other mineral/vitamins (Veges, preferable greens and seasonals)

Mid-day Meal: I am taking the serving of fruits with me and take them after around 3 hours of launch.

Evening Snacks: Here I controlled myself big time, I generally keep handful nuts like almonds (walnut - akhrot is great but hard to find) and eat them, but not more than 10. If i am more hungry then i opt for biscuits by nutrichoice they are excellent and easily available i like all of their options like oats, raagi, multigrain, digestive. Please have control here also, dont take more than 3 of them, Believe me 3 biscuits with a cup of coeffee / Tea will make you feel full.

Dinner: The saying says, cut the carbs post 6PM, but we know how hard that is. My office time helped me here, as i reach home by 12 in night and sleep only by 1 in night. So i made a plan to eat the dinner at least 4/5 hours before that i.e. between 8-9 PM. I cut the roties here from 4 to 2, and took high protein food as side like Daal, Legumes, Soya badies etc.

Just before bed: If I am feeling hungry before going to bed, 4/5 almonds works.

Exercise: I was doing more of cardios and abdominal ones, but experts here can comment more. The one very basic funda i learnt was, during first 20 minutes body burns carbohydrates and then almost 50:50 % of carbs and stored fat. Doing low intensity cardio at the end of the gym session shifts the calorie burning towards fat burning.

Now a days, i do 10-15 min of warmup, followed up with weight and at the end i do the cardio and some day abdominal ones.

Last edited by TheBeastFieast : 26th July 2011 at 20:54.
TheBeastFieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 21:39   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am going through the exrx.net now and the other site i ll go through once i reach home, it isn't opening from my office !

BTW, i am not an eggetarian, so no eggs in my diet as well. I eat cashew ocassionally, but time to make it a habit i guess.

Samosa is just a junk to fill my stomach during evening timepass chit-chat with colleagues By milk, you mean tea & coffee included? I have 3 cups of coffee a day and may be 1 cup of tea if i feel like.

Can you guys suggest on what to eat before/after gym to lose the awkward belly and gain strength ? i guess my diet isnt helping actually !

BTW, due to my preparation for an upcoming interview, i hadnt been to the gym for a week now, so if i start off again this week, am i looking at all the pains coming up again ? just out of curiousity
Try Pistas instead of Cashews, they have lesser cholesterol, lesser carbs lesser fats, more protein, more fibre. Raw, dry, not roasted and salted etc. You can also try dates, I haven't personally, but many lifters and trainers I know rely on dates, nuts etc as snack.

Before gym you can have cereal, anything that is complex carbs, after gym is essentially protein etc. If you want then invest in a Whey protein for postworkout. Once you go through the site I suggested, once it opens i.e., you will have answers aplenty.

Basically add a small portion of some protein rich food (paneer, soya nuggets, pulses, legumes etc) with each of your big meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Snack on fruits and dry fruits if you want. Get water and fluids in adequate quantities.

Dont worry too much about doing everything all at once, get lifting, and lifting right, and eating light, nutritious but light, and let the body adjust. Rest will all fall in place once you make it a regular habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
The one very basic funda i learnt was, during first 20 minutes body burns carbohydrates and then almost 50:50 % of carbs and stored fat. Doing low intensity cardio at the end of the gym session shifts the calorie burning towards fat burning.
You have summed up everything a man needs to keep burning fat every workout.

Impressive and all the best!
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 16:43   #3027
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update:

Been going to the gym now for about 1.5 months and lost only 2kgs...

I tend to believe that something is going wrong in my diet as i am working really hard at the gym but, disappointed with such drastic results

I have cut down rice drastically. Eat it maybe during 1-2 meal in a week.

My daily eating routine is:-

Breakfast (9:00AM) : 1 Phulka/Fruit Juice
Lunch ( 1:30pm): 4 Phulka and Curry
Dinner (9:00pm) : 4 Phulka with some munchies like Chips, Peanuts or something else. I just dont seem to avoid these munchies

And, our cook makes these phulkas small, light and extremely fluffy and my meal is over in like 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, nothing to eat in between and feel damn hungry by 9pm.

After dinner, I feel like having a drink later in the night say around 10:30pm or so. No hard food but, I crave for a drink badly

So I have a Diet Coke/Coke/TU/Tropicana Orange, Guava or something of that sort.

Can someone highlight where i am going wrong in not able to reduce weight? Is there a healthy substitute for above drinks that is cold, refreshing and hits the spot?

P.S: Saturday and Sunday Dinners are more or less on a binge mode and usually after midnight.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th July 2011 at 16:45.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:03   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So I have a Diet Coke/Coke/TU/Tropicana Orange, Guava or something of that sort.
While I would wait for the other better informed people to comment overall, one thing I know for sure is that the above drinks dont help in reducing weight at all. Tropicana is ok to an extent since it claims to be 100% fruit but again would not believe it fully.

For snacking, a few posts ago, mandheers & TheBeastFieast have posted some alternatives like pistas, almonds, and some digestive biscuits which are better than munchies and these sugar filled colas. You can give them a try.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 17:13   #3029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While I would wait for the other better informed people to comment overall, one thing I know for sure is that the above drinks dont help in reducing weight at all. Tropicana is ok to an extent since it claims to be 100% fruit but again would not believe it fully.

For snacking, a few posts ago, mandheers & TheBeastFieast have posted some alternatives like pistas, almonds, and some digestive biscuits which are better than munchies and these sugar filled colas. You can give them a try.
While by simple logic, I know all of them are really bad as they are sugar loaded. But, then I think, one drink worth 120 calories ( each coke/tu can) will not really make too much of a difference.

Obviously, I seem to be wrong.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:17   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
While by simple logic, I know all of them are really bad as they are sugar loaded. But, then I think, one drink worth 120 calories ( each coke/tu can) will not really make too much of a difference.

Obviously, I seem to be wrong.
Well like i said, i am not fully aware and remember reading it somewhere on the net long ago that these drinks are not good and the article included even fruit juices and the author recommended having whole fruits rather than the fruit juices. So it is probably in the way in which the saturated sugars are processed by the human body which complicates stuff. It was not clarified in the article. Unable to find it now, will try and post the source if i do get to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks