Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 16:56   #3106
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My cousin brother has bought enduramass (Price Rs.390 for 500 grams) for the purpose of building mass/muscles.

What experts have opinions about this product - Enduramass?

Is it OK to use or I should ask him to not to use it.

Please share Benefits and side effects to be precise!
Not much can be said about Endura products, they come in small packages and very low serving sizes. To say the least it's an 'Indian serving size' and has about 15 grams protein per serving, at most.

Bodily requirements for building mass/muscles are approx 1 gram protein per pound of lean bodyweight.

There are other cost effective options available at chemists too, and I would recommend two that I used early on in my beginner years: Protinex and Nutriprot, both by Wockhardt.

Personally, Nutriprot was my favorite, don't know if they still make it.

Try investing in better quality proteins like Optimum, Ultimate or Dymatize etc. Even smaller servings than those recommended by these brands (meaning you will need to chuck their scoop and use a spoon for smaller measures) will get you more quality protein, gram for gram, at maybe just a slightly higher price.

That said, try a diet rich in protein sources, fish + meats + poultry if non vegetarian, soya + dairy + pulses/lentils if vegetarian.

Hope this helps!

edit: no known side-effects as such, but I prefer and would recommend bigger brands, and you could adjust serving size for economies of scale.

Last edited by mandheers : 4th January 2012 at 16:57.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 01:25   #3107
BHPian

Do you hold your stomach in?

When I was a kid (like 7th or 8th) someone pointed at my tummy and said

your tummy is BIG!!

It was not big, just that it was sticking out a little bit. Anyways from then onwards I started to hold my abs muscles a little tight to get a flat stomach. After schools, I started getting more fat deposits in the tummy region and this became a habit. Now I cant imagine walking around with my abs muscles loose.

Is it just me?
do you hold your stomach in always?
or you let it loose and free?
what about the slim and trim folks?
6 pack guys?

Old 12th January 2012, 11:28   #3108
Team-BHP Support

A normal human belly (male or female) has a droop. Even the guys with 6 pack, the belly will droop when they let their their gut loose. Only exceptions are people with very little body fat. But humans are conditioned in most modern societies to keep their gut sucked in public. People with stomach muscles can do it effortlessly, while the rest have to hold their breath to achieve the same.

I think it was Michelangelo who changed the definition of fit human body by sculpting David in 6 packs and what not. He made great dis-service to 100s of generations of humans, forcing them to suck-in all the time.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:54   #3109
BHPian

To all those in Bangalore - I live in Indiranagar and am looking to start gym work this month/next month. Any suggestions on a good, relatively cheap gym which has a good trainer. Equipment can be old as long as it is functional. Don't need fancy equipment - just a good trainer.

Alternatively, if there is anyone on tbhp who is interested in a partner for the gym, do let me know.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 12th January 2012, 15:10   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
To all those in Bangalore - I live in Indiranagar and am looking to start gym work this month/next month. Any suggestions on a good, relatively cheap gym which has a good trainer. Equipment can be old as long as it is functional. Don't need fancy equipment - just a good trainer.

Alternatively, if there is anyone on tbhp who is interested in a partner for the gym, do let me know.

Thanks,
Manas
Hi Manas,

I joined flex fitness last week and they charge Rs 1000/- per month. We joined as a group of 3 and got the registration fee(rs 300/-) was waived off.

Its a small gym with not much space inside. But all the equipments are new. And they are taking up more space in one more floor.

Its in the first left after Torque/Beijing bites when you go from kodihalli side.
ArunV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 15:43   #3111
BHPian

Thanks a bunch Arun! Any trainers there?

Will check them out this weekend for sure.

Since I am new to the whole gym thing, will need some direction and help with goal setting etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Hi Manas,

I joined flex fitness last week and they charge Rs 1000/- per month. We joined as a group of 3 and got the registration fee(rs 300/-) was waived off.

Its a small gym with not much space inside. But all the equipments are new. And they are taking up more space in one more floor.

Its in the first left after Torque/Beijing bites when you go from kodihalli side.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:10   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
When I was a kid (like 7th or 8th) someone pointed at my tummy and said

your tummy is BIG!!

It was not big, just that it was sticking out a little bit. Anyways from then onwards I started to hold my abs muscles a little tight to get a flat stomach. After schools, I started getting more fat deposits in the tummy region and this became a habit. Now I cant imagine walking around with my abs muscles loose.

Is it just me?
do you hold your stomach in always?
or you let it loose and free?
what about the slim and trim folks?
6 pack guys?

It's normal mate. Very few persons can have complete flat stomach, otherwise most people who even go to gym have little drrop which is absolutely normal as stated by samurai.

Keep Walking!
Old 13th January 2012, 12:42   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Thanks a bunch Arun! Any trainers there?

Will check them out this weekend for sure.

Since I am new to the whole gym thing, will need some direction and help with goal setting etc..
there are 2-3 guys all the time... But they are not certified or anything.
And i have not seen them setting a plan for anyone..

If you are a beginner, i would suggest you snap fitness or Gold's gym.. They will set a workout plan for you.. and trainers will be always around. But costly compared to Flex.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:18   #3114
Senior - BHPian

I used to do heavy cardio routine but last month I twisted my ankle during a trip and it'd be another 2 months at least before the swelling dies down completely and I'm back with any cardio routine. However, I still enjoy eating high protein diets as it keeps the hunger craving at bay for at least 3-4 hours.

So I've been eating a lot of chicken, almost everyday. I started with baked chicken breasts and graduated to ultra-low fat masala tikka (kind-of) chicken with gravy and it tastes delicious, I have it every morning.

I currently have 5 meals a day
1. Breakfast is with gravy & chicken breasts (low-fat) and a roti
2. Whole-wheat grain bread with homemade mayo (low-fat) and chicken salami
3. Fruits (grapes/banana/orange/apple/pomegranate etc.)
4. Sprouts with salad
5. Dal 2 roti or some vegetable and 2 roti

Am I having too much of chicken, when having 2 meals of it everyday?

Other questions:
1. Is chicken salami, from your friendly neighbourhood chicken-wala, bad?
2. Is chicken ham equally good/bad when compared to chicken salami?
3. Which is the best of the lot - salami/sausage/ham or chicken breast?
4. Is mutton better than chicken if thinking of making it a staple diet?

I don't workout at all currently and it'd be at least another two months (or more) before I start working out at all. Considering this is my high-protein diet ok or do I need to cut down on the protein consumption? I weigh 68 kgs for 5'8", 26 years old.

For some reason I cannot think of anything that replaces chicken and keeps the hunger craving at bay for 3-4 hours, not even eggs. If I replace 2nd chicken meal with roti-veggie roll then its just not that filling.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:29   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I used to do heavy cardio routine but last month I twisted my ankle during a trip and it'd be another 2 months at least before the swelling dies down completely and I'm back with any cardio routine. However, I still enjoy eating high protein diets as it keeps the hunger craving at bay for at least 3-4 hours.

So I've been eating a lot of chicken, almost everyday. I started with baked chicken breasts and graduated to ultra-low fat masala tikka (kind-of) chicken with gravy and it tastes delicious, I have it every morning.

I currently have 5 meals a day
1. Breakfast is with gravy & chicken breasts (low-fat) and a roti
2. Whole-wheat grain bread with homemade mayo (low-fat) and chicken salami
3. Fruits (grapes/banana/orange/apple/pomegranate etc.)
4. Sprouts with salad
5. Dal 2 roti or some vegetable and 2 roti

Am I having too much of chicken, when having 2 meals of it everyday?

Other questions:
1. Is chicken salami, from your friendly neighbourhood chicken-wala, bad?
2. Is chicken ham equally good/bad when compared to chicken salami?
3. Which is the best of the lot - salami/sausage/ham or chicken breast?
4. Is mutton better than chicken if thinking of making it a staple diet?

I don't workout at all currently and it'd be at least another two months (or more) before I start working out at all. Considering this is my high-protein diet ok or do I need to cut down on the protein consumption? I weigh 68 kgs for 5'8", 26 years old.

For some reason I cannot think of anything that replaces chicken and keeps the hunger craving at bay for 3-4 hours, not even eggs. If I replace 2nd chicken meal with roti-veggie roll then its just not that filling.
(1) If anything, you can eat a little more chicken. There is no such thing as "eating too much chicken" - unless you are eating a bird a day, or thulping pizzas and junk food.
(2) In case your are sceptical about your chicken-walla, buy ham - not salami. Ham is a whole piece of meat, while salami is blended. When you'd wash the meat, you will be only washing the surface. Since salami is blended, there might be some "unwanted" particles stuck inside that you cannot wash off.
(3) Chicken breast is the king. Curated meats (Salami, Ham etc) have lots of sodium in them. Too much sodium makes your body retain water, making you look bloated, and is not healthy in general
(4) Goat meat is one of the best meats available. It is a rich source of iron and potassium than other meat and iirc, has lower calories (per gm of protein). To be fair, it's less of a red meat than chicken. Feel free to eat as much goat meat as you can

In my opinion - try to mix your meats for variety. While chicken is the most common meat I eat (because of wider availability), I tend to throw in random servings of fish, mutton, beef, pork etc, every now and then. Humans have existed on this planet for more than 100,000 years, and the human body loves most meats. Don't buy random pseudo-science about meat producing "heat" (this one always cracks me up), or animal fat being bad for you.

BTW, your diet is seriously missing some eggs and whole milk
e1t1bet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 17:39   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A normal human belly (male or female) has a droop. Even the guys with 6 pack, the belly will droop when they let their their gut loose. Only exceptions are people with very little body fat. But humans are conditioned in most modern societies to keep their gut sucked in public. People with stomach muscles can do it effortlessly, while the rest have to hold their breath to achieve the same.

I think it was Michelangelo who changed the definition of fit human body by sculpting David in 6 packs and what not. He made great dis-service to 100s of generations of humans, forcing them to suck-in all the time.
If you have less than 10-11% bodyfat, your abs would be visible without any flexing (except when you are sitting).
Old 9th February 2012, 17:49   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
(1) If anything, you can eat a little more chicken. There is no such thing as "eating too much chicken" - unless you are eating a bird a day, or thulping pizzas and junk food......
You are a saviour, your response makes me feel so much better now, more so because it sounds like you know what you are talking about, thanks for a line by line response.

Quote:
In my opinion - try to mix your meats for variety....
Mutton/Pork sausage/ham is next on the grocery list, preferrably ham only unless I don't like its taste.
Questions:
1. Before I make the chicken salami sandwich I boil some water in a pan and dip the salamis in it for about 15 seconds when the water is boiling like crazy, I guess bacteria's are killed when I do this? Should I do the same with ham, unless I ruin it or something.
2. Is the regular pomphret fish ok or something specific that I should be looking for? Hope the regular meat-wala has what you suggest?
3. So preference looking at nutrient value of a meat should be in order - Ham > Salami or Sausage?

Quote:
BTW, your diet is seriously missing some eggs and whole milk
Eggs I forgot to mention, I have eggs but its more like every alternate day or third day but plan is to include one hard boiled egg with yolk in the breakfast along with meat everyday.
Milk - Now that you touched this also, the packaged milk that we get - Mother Dairy/Delhi Milk Scheme etc. are these any good? I mean having read a lot about how milk's nutrional's value is deteriorating by day makes me feel that I don't miss much and have yogurt instead. If they are still any good I guess I could take it up again, but double toned (no fat) I guess, right?
Old 10th February 2012, 10:12   #3118
BHPian

Where do I get ON Gold Standard 100% Whey online? I dont see VNC stocking it. Most others are charging exorbitantly for it. Are there any other reliable stores with good pricing? How about Gaspari MyoFusion? I saw it listed online for Rs 2700 - 5lbs on bodybuilding-supplements.co.in. Not sure if that is a reliable site. There is no online payment option. It is either through Paypal or bank transfer to a personal account, which I am bit concerned.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:47   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Where do I get ON Gold Standard 100% Whey online? I dont see VNC stocking it. Most others are charging exorbitantly for it. Are there any other reliable stores with good pricing? How about Gaspari MyoFusion? I saw it listed online for Rs 2700 - 5lbs on bodybuilding-supplements.co.in. Not sure if that is a reliable site. There is no online payment option. It is either through Paypal or bank transfer to a personal account, which I am bit concerned.
You will get it at Tata Star Bazaar but at an extremely high price of Rs.40xx (after a 15% discount )
Old 10th February 2012, 13:55   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Where do I get ON Gold Standard 100% Whey online?
Is online purchase a requirement? If not, I have seen Hypercity stock ON products and their prices were also quite competitive. Also, there is a new supplement shop in Koramangala (same road as Filling station), haven't visited that store though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks