Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 16:13   #3856
BANNED

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been writing about it since 10 years and I am still around recommending it. That gotta mean something.

Sir, I have started a bodyweight exercise regimen last month, and as of now I am following this kid "Fortress" - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress - on youtube. And just to "payback" I bought his workout plan, even though I really didn't need to purchase it.

I have benefitted from the Scooby's Pullups video posted by you - I went from zero to 3 clean pull-ups. Also followed scooby's advice on pushups - started from counter top pushups to 10 regular pushups. (Actually this is what I followed for 3 months and then lost interest - so no workout for 5 months. And now since February I have been regular at it.

What I seek now is, more in-depth knwoledge and organised information- on technique, things explained in detail and precision, and the correct path to progress eg. from simple pushups to handstand pushups etc.

I have read articles on Hindu pushups and Hindu squats and a few more by Matt Furey.

1) To dive deeper, which of these do you suggest - Convict Conditioning posted by Phamilyman or Matt Furey - Combat Conditioning - which is available only after I become a member with a 100$ fee, or the Bruce Lee book you have recommended earlier.

2) Please recommend ideal warm up and cool down streches. I am having trouble especially with post workout streches, coz I never feel the strain in the intended areas.

3) How about starting a new thread on Bodyweight exercises and guiding us? Though the tbhp search function is doing its job

Thanks !!

Last edited by sinhead : 30th March 2015 at 16:14.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:52   #3857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Sir, I have started a bodyweight exercise regimen last month, and as of now I am following this kid "Fortress" - https://www.Youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress - on Youtube. And just to "payback" I bought his workout plan, even though I really didn't need to purchase it.
Watched 2-3 videos of him. The guy is amazingly fit and is very very young. That is a problem if you are planning to learn from him. He is at an age where the body is extremely forgiving, and he has not experienced physical frailty that comes with age. He also needs extensive experience as personal trainer to understand the needs of every type of body and different age groups.

I looked at his 3 best workouts for biceps. Not even 1% people on earth can do one of those exercises. If adults start off their fitness journey with his videos, injury is what will happen. Even his pullup tutorial tells you to do chin-up and come down slowly. You don't need that tutorial if you can do chin-up already.

Quote:
I have benefitted from the Scooby's Pullups video posted by you - I went from zero to 3 clean pull-ups. Also followed scooby's advice on pushups - started from counter top pushups to 10 regular pushups.
Scooby is a old guy, and therefore very realistic. Naturally, his technique works. It worked for me too. He sounds like somebody who has spent decades training unfit people to become fit, so he knows how to ramp it slowly.

Quote:
1) To dive deeper, which of these do you suggest - Convict Conditioning posted by Phamilyman or Matt Furey - Combat Conditioning - which is available only after I become a member with a 100$ fee, or the Bruce Lee book you have recommended earlier.
I don't know anything about Convict Conditioning book. Bruce Lee's stuff is about martial arts. But let me talk about Matt Furey.

The tragedy about fitness training legends is simply this. Most of them have extensive experience as personal trainers for all kind of people. At first they package their best stuff together and sell it as books or videos. If the material is good and effective, backed up with good marketing plan, it tends to become success. With that success comes trust, reputation and great deal of money. What next?

Their best stuff is already out there. As time goes by book/video sales will slump and cash-flow will reduce to a trickle. This is when they start selling snake oil to drum up the sales. At first, thanks to the trust and reputation they had earned, most of the past customers will buy any new product they put out. But slowly many of them realise that the newer stuff is no good. I have been through this process with at least two such legends, including Furey. The red flag is when they ask you to join a monthly subscription to learn "secrets", that are not in the book/video they initially released. But the truth is their best stuff is already in the first book/video. Matt Furey has realised it and taken it out of circulation. You can't buy it anymore.

Thanks to youtube, you rarely have to buy fitness videos anymore. Just research carefully on Internet, ask here if you have doubts. Don't ask me to a write a detailed article. I am not a personal trainer, I won't always know what will work for others.
Old 1st April 2015, 22:02   #3858
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
physical frailty that comes with age.
That's a very valid point. I knew I'd take it slow and easy in the beginning, and thanks to the scooby link and a few of his videos I went extra careful, cautious and decided to go slow on the progress. He lays out the info nicely and its easy to grasp.
Fortress too has videos & suggestions for beginners but one has to dig out the info patiently.

I have wasted some time in the Ocean that youtube is and decided to stick to these 2 people. I, for some unknown reason "connected" with them. Scooby - for common sense advice and the easiest way to begin a workout and Fortress for Inspiration mainly and possibilities of bodyweight training and workouts. I won't get carried away and injure myself.

Thanks for all suggestions and advice!!
Old 13th April 2015, 23:14   #3859
Team-BHP Support

https://news.brown.edu/articles/2015/04/muscles

Interesting article about supplements etc.,
Old 16th April 2015, 12:10   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

I don't think this will make an iota of a difference to the people who BELIEVE in the supplements. They will read this as a very minuscule increase in chances, worthy of taking risk.

As I said it is about belief. People believe that supplements is helping them. People believe that someday they will look really different. The powders give them the hope and strength to live through the dull and drab lives they have. Upon ingesting the powder they feel the superhuman capabilities and enter a realm where they can SEE their muscles and strength growing, to the extent that even superman may shirk. They visualize girls screaming and tearing their clothes apart falling at their feet seeing the physique!

You know the fairness creams? They work on exact same principles.
And produce zero results. But people still buy.
Hope.
Belief.
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:29   #3861
BHPian

Egged: The White vs Yellow debate

Hey fellows!

I have been working out at gym for past 5 months now.

I am against external/synthetic/concentrated supplements.
So, to compensate the gym regime, I have been consuming:
1. 5 whole eggs(with yolks) in morning alongwith banana shake(3 bananas)
2. banana shake(of 3 bananas) and peanut butter as pre-workout and 4 whole eggs(with yolks) in evening post workout

Additionally, taking cues from the stalwarts here, I am consuming more number of smaller meals per day. Also, have increased my intake of raw veggies, curd, fruits, dry fruits and nuts. I am happy to have gained almost 7 kg in these months. Oh forgot to mention, I am 26 yrs old, lean framed, almost 6' and was weighing 68 when I joined gym, now I am at 75 kgs. The target is to hit 80 kgs.

I have been emphasizing on cardio, body weight training as well as light free weight training.

Recently read that egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol. And eating almost 8 eggs per day, I am exceeding the WHO recommended adult human's cholesterol intake from eggs alone. At the same time, also learnt that egg yellow are good esp for hormone synthesis in body, which is obviously needed to bulk up.

So, cutting it short, my big question is should I eat complete eggs or shall shift to egg whites only? My concern is also aggravated by the high predisposition of us Indians to cardiac disease. Dont want my heart to spring up a surprise one not so fine day. Is 1 hr(x6 days per week) workout regime enough for positive utilization of the diet I am taking or should I make some amendments.

Suggestions and knowledge sharing is heartily welcome.

Pardon if I missed answer to this question in the previous discussions on this thread.

Regards

Last edited by Grr7 : 22nd April 2015 at 21:32.
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:21   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Re: Egged: The White vs Yellow debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

Recently read that egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol. And eating almost 8 eggs per day, I am exceeding the WHO recommended adult human's cholesterol intake from eggs alone. At the same time, also learnt that egg yellow are good esp for hormone synthesis in body, which is obviously needed to bulk up.

So, cutting it short, my big question is should I eat complete eggs or shall shift to egg whites only? My concern is also aggravated by the high predisposition of us Indians to cardiac disease. Dont want my heart to spring up a surprise one not so fine day. Is 1 hr(x6 days per week) workout regime enough for positive utilization of the diet I am taking or should I make some amendments.
Your concerns are well placed.
But are they reasonable? There is only one way to certify - blood test.
If you have desirable LDL HDL and TG profile, then why should you worry?
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:46   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Correct - better take a before and after test with a gap of 3 months. I can bet that your cholesterol profile would be better because of the eggs!! (And, don't worry- WHO will also make a correction somewhere down the line)

psst - while you are at it, try to move to country eggs or duck eggs
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:36   #3864
BHPian

Quote:
Your concerns are well placed.
But are they reasonable? There is only one way to certify - blood test.
Such a simple, yet effective answer. Thanks Alpha1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
psst - while you are at it, try to move to country eggs or duck eggs
Mallumowgli,

As much as I wish to shift to country eggs, its excessively difficult to find a reliable source, esp in a place like Delhi. Have seen it myself, Egg sellers notoriously color the poultry eggs in boiling tea water to render that brownish color. Have tried the country eggs from the egg vendors, but I seriously doubt if they are authentic at all.
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:43   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct - better take a before and after test with a gap of 3 months.
ABSOLUTELY. Thanks for correcting me.
As with the scientific method, we need to establish the cause and effect of A and B (specifically does A lead to B), ceteris paribus.

However, the issue here is that Grrrr is already on a steady diet of eggs. So we won't be able to establish the A part of our equation (increasing eggs) to determine B part (elevated cholestrol).

If he really wishes to undertake a scientific approach, he must be off eggs, after the first test, for few months and then check the second reading.

Quote:
Such a simple, yet effective answer. Thanks Alpha1.
While we are at it, I would repeat my last line above:
If he really wishes to undertake a scientific approach, he must be off eggs, after the first test, for few months and then check the second reading.

for another reason: Test whether you really require 8 eggs per day.
Here A = increased eggs
and B = increased strength, better physique
and what we are testing is: whether more eggs (or proteins) actually results in increased strength and better physique?

Of course scientific approach will requires use of measurements and not qualitative statements. Which means how much body weight, how much waist size, how much lifts, how large upper arms etc.

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd April 2015 at 18:47.
Old 25th April 2015, 08:36   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Nothing interesting in that. There is always a study like that. Perhaps you could also research about how we could be affected by drinking bottled water, chemically sprayed veggies, the SPM in the air, psychosocial effects of living the urban life.. etc etc etc. Supplements are what they are.
The naysayers will always be there.
If you are sick and/or recuperating/ recovering from illness, try supplements and enjoy the recovery. You will be amazed.
A lot of docs seem to be now discovering about sports science and medicine that they didnt learn in medical school while dissecting cockroaches and frogs.
Old 25th April 2015, 09:16   #3867
BHPian

Quote:

So, cutting it short, my big question is should I eat complete eggs or shall shift to egg whites only?
Dietary Cholesterol contributes to only 20 pc of your total cholesterol. So you want to check your LDL, HDL levels. If they are well below threshold levels you can safely continue with your diet. Having said that, every body behaves uniquely. A check before and after will put all your worries at bay.
Old 25th April 2015, 11:48   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, the issue here is that Grrrr is already on a steady diet of eggs. So we won't be able to establish the A part of our equation (increasing eggs) to determine B part (elevated cholestrol).

Not necessarily. Conventional wisdom says continued eating of high fat food increases your bad cholesterol. So, if on month 1 has you have a particular profile, after 3 months you should have an even worse profile. Am just betting that it will not be worse (assuming that there is no other major change in the diet)
Old 25th April 2015, 15:34   #3869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily. Conventional wisdom says continued eating of high fat food increases your bad cholesterol. So, if on month 1 has you have a particular profile, after 3 months you should have an even worse profile. Am just betting that it will not be worse (assuming that there is no other major change in the diet)
There is a difference.
If say dietary intake of 5 grams of cholestrol does lead up to a reading of LDL 150, the reading will not increase further in 3 months. But perhaps intake of 10 grams will increase LDL to 200. This relationship (change in A leading to change in B) is we want to examine while doing the testing.

It is similar to the way calories work.
If my caloric intake is 500kcal above my requirement, I will gain weight perhaps 5 kg in some months time. But no further no matter how long I pursue. To gain more, you will have to increase the intake further.

If you reduce your caloric intake by 500 kcal. You will lose some weight and then stop. To lose more, you will have to reduce the intake further.

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th April 2015 at 15:41.
Old 28th April 2015, 15:56   #3870
Senior - BHPian

Hi team, i was going to the gym regularly and making good progress but unfortunately now am lying in bed nursing a hairline fracture in my left foot. Will be immobile for atleast a month but dont wanna gain weight or lose my progress. Have already altered my diet drastically. Please suggest some upper body exercises which i can do at home to remain fit.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 28th April 2015 at 15:57.

Most Viewed