Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 15:12   #3916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Last month my wife clicked this on her mobile when I was in pool. I am a bodyweight calisthenics guy since 1984. I hardly have any visible muscle.
The visible muscle that you feel you don't have will manifest itself as soon as you lose the bodyfat and water.

How does your calisthenics routine go? Daily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I really hope you aren't being sarcastic and your response doesn't involve synthol, albutrex etc.

?
Of course not!
But I want you to trudge the oft cited path first, and if that doesn't give the desired results (which I have a hunch but there is no harm in following the herd in this case), then I can give you an alternative.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:25   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Of course not!
But I want you to trudge the oft cited path first, and if that doesn't give the desired results (which I have a hunch but there is no harm in following the herd in this case), then I can give you an alternative.
Fair enough, let me report the changes after a couple of weeks.

Another question though, how bad is this non-veg stuff which is half-readied. There is this Green Chick Chop chain in Delhi and I tend to squeeze in 2-3 sausages in my breakfast (or 3-4 salamis or hams or grilled chicken patty), a seekh kebab or another big sausage (or something similar) for lunch also.

All this stuff only needs 3-5 mins of heating in a pan with some oil or microwaved and its ready to be served.

I've restriced myself to 3 meals only and in 2 I'm eating this half-readied non-veg. I mean cooking chicken is a big task and I hardly get any time so have been eating a lot of readymade stuff.

Is it too bad to be eating it daily?

Reason for eating non-veg is simple, it keeps my tummy filled and I don't crave for next meal for at least 4-5 hours. I have fruits and nuts in the evening. These non-veg things are basically along with my regular breakfast of boiled eggs (or omlette), sauted tomatoes & onion and one slice of bread. In lunch its rice & veggies & dal along with one small serving of non-veg. Dinner is simply whatever wife cooks.

I'm not avoiding ghee at all, I eat it but in moderation. Basically I'm eating everything that a regular guy would except for what I mentioned above.
Old 4th June 2015, 16:08   #3918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The visible muscle that you feel you don't have will manifest itself as soon as you lose the bodyfat and water.

How does your calisthenics routine go? Daily?
Alternate days, I do have to allow the body to recover, I am no spring chicken. On losing bodyfat and water, how healthy is that? I might look shredded, but will I be fit? The latter is the priority for me.
Old 4th June 2015, 16:42   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Alternate days, I do have to allow the body to recover, I am no spring chicken. On losing bodyfat and water, how healthy is that? I might look shredded, but will I be fit? The latter is the priority for me.
i recommend you do some HIIT cardio too with your bodyweight exercises. It will help a lot in shedding fat quick. Being Shredded is definetly fit but the term shredded should be used for someone under 12% bf. according to me. I would guess you to be around >25% right now after seeing that pool pic.

@fine69 - Most of these pre made meals have a lot of preservatives and sodium which only makes you bloated.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:14   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
@fine69 - Most of these pre made meals have a lot of preservatives and sodium which only makes you bloated.
Which is where these meals are a little different, allegedly. They are recommended to be stored at -16 degrees or below and are recommended to be consumed within 6 months (if kept at this temperature) otherwise they spoil.

I mean normally also if I cook chicken and deep-freeze it, it does have a shelf-life of 3-6 months, isn't it?
Old 4th June 2015, 18:59   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
2-3 sausages in my breakfast (or 3-4 salamis or hams or grilled chicken patty), a seekh kebab or another big sausage (or something similar) for lunch also.
Not healthy at all. Too much of fat. Too much of salt. And too much of preservatives. Though I am not sure of chicken patty.

Quote:
For a more powerlifting oriented goal (which means tomorrow you want to lift heavier than today) - the usual thing is to take up a weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 5 reps. Just close to failure on the last set only.
But is it possible to follow this training schedule with dumbbells?

Quote:
I might look shredded, but will I be fit? The latter is the priority for me.
Why do you think that it will affect fitness?

Last edited by Piyadassi : 4th June 2015 at 19:12.
Old 4th June 2015, 19:41   #3922
Senior - BHPian

So what would be some healthy alternatives to market's pre-cooked non-veg? I've tried ample chicken breast recipes but failed miserably each time.
Old 4th June 2015, 19:46   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Buy a table top grill, get chicken breast (organic maybe?), marinade in olive oil and some spices. Throw it on the grill and you have a healthy alternative in no time.
Want some healthy snacks? Try cheese toast using a low calorie, light bread.
Sausages are probably the unhealthiest of all non veg items!
Old 5th June 2015, 12:07   #3924
BHPian

Try younger chicken - they tend to be comparatively tenderer and won't feel like you're eating some cardboard or something.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:39   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Need some help. I need to put on some muscle as I have become too skinny (my family's words) but since I am a vegetarian I need to know what would be the best way to do.

Little background on myself. I am 5 9 and weigh 70 kgs. Till end of 2013 I was weighing around 80 kgs. But start of 2014 I wanted to become fit and started to hit the gym regularly doing cardio regularly. Once I reduced to 70 kgs I started to do weights. I also used to do running regularly and gymming regularly till couple of months back and now I hardly do it.

I do take egg whites atleast 2-3 times in a week . Earlier when I was in US I used to take the below supplement . Is it any good? Any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.in/Optimum-Nutriti...in+supplements
Old 5th June 2015, 12:46   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question though, how bad is this non-veg stuff which is half-readied. There is this Green Chick Chop chain in Delhi and I tend to squeeze in 2-3 sausages in my breakfast (or 3-4 salamis or hams or grilled chicken patty), a seekh kebab or another big sausage (or something similar) for lunch also.
Not sure if someone would term it unhealthy as such, but perhaps they may use tons of preservative etc. A good way to test would be to let a piece of it rot over a day It if does with ease, it is not processed heavily.

Quote:
I think one can be termed fit as long as blood tests show up great and all organs and systems are working in great condition. Rest all that is marketed as "fitness" is nothing but state of being trained for a particular task. Today I may not be able to climb 1000 stairs in 10 minutes. In a month's time I may.

Perhaps today I have high blood pressure, while training for climbing 1000 stairs I may improve my BP situation. In this case I have improved my health and become fitter.

But if I didn't have any such condition to begin with, and neither did I train myself to clamber 1000 stairs, why would someone still term me as being "unfit"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
But is it possible to follow this training schedule with dumbbells?
Not for long, since the jumps in dumbell weight increase is far too great.

Quote:
So what would be some healthy alternatives to market's pre-cooked non-veg? I've tried ample chicken breast recipes but failed miserably each time.
Well, say you bring your chicken, boil it (preferably under pressure), shred the fibres. Mix in some salt/garlic/ginger/chillies/onion (momo filling style). Roll it into any shape. (All this will take approx 30 minutes everyday - main pain is shredding - will not be if you buy boneless)

You can have this "neat", or fry as patty, or spread over roti/bread all along the day etc.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th June 2015 at 12:47.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:47   #3927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, if one doesn't want to trudge the oft cited path, then? Asking just out of curiosity - am not looking at building 'muscles'!!

Quote:
I think one can be termed fit as long as blood tests show up great and all organs and systems are working in great condition. Rest all that is marketed as "fitness" is nothing but state of being trained for a particular task. Today I may not be able to climb 1000 stairs in 10 minutes. In a month's time I may.

Perhaps today I have high blood pressure, while training for climbing 1000 stairs I may improve my BP situation. In this case I have improved my health and become fitter.

But if I didn't have any such condition to begin with, and neither did I train myself to clamber 1000 stairs, why would someone still term me as being "unfit"?
This is a question that I've never been able to answer myself satisfactorily!! Am I fit or not?

Quote:
I mean cooking chicken is a big task and I hardly get any time so have been eating a lot of readymade stuff.
Cooking chicken very easy - searing in high heat for 3-4 minutes and then slow cook for 20-25 minutes (for broiler. For country chicken slow cook for 45 mins). Chicken done. The spice mix : as per your dish - check out the cooking thread in this section for more details
Old 7th June 2015, 19:19   #3928
Team-BHP Support

A very different approach to staying fit:

http://danedwardes.com/2015/06/05/mo...ldnt-exercise/
Old 8th June 2015, 14:10   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Ok, if one doesn't want to trudge the oft cited path, then? Asking just out of curiosity - am not looking at building 'muscles'!!

1. Before that we will have to understand what really happens in the process of getting buff (of course whatever minimal increase that a natural person can ever hope to achieve).

2. The next is the key point that fine69 said:
Currently my biceps are about the same size as my forearms, really skinny. I have bones in the name of shoulders

This leads me to believe that heavy weight, one set to failure, HIT approach will not produce any result. And therefore heavy weight and three sets to failure will also not produce any discernible result.

Quote:
A very different approach to staying fit:

http://danedwardes.com/2015/06/05/mo...ldnt-exercise/
Parkour is also a very fun thing to watch! (And must be a fun thing to do too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Need some help. I need to put on some muscle as I have become too skinny (my family's words) but since I am a vegetarian I need to know what would be the best way to do.

Little background on myself. I am 5 9 ...
5'9" = 175 cm.
Your weight should not exceed 75 kg under any circumstances (it will be all FAT). Not even the best of the best (real) natural bodybuilder can achieve 75 kg at your height.
Supplements?
I have voiced my views quite strongly on this thread, allow me to repeat myself:
Quote:
... as I said it is about belief. People believe that supplements is helping them. People believe that someday they will look really different. The powders give them the hope and strength to live through the dull and drab lives they have. Upon ingesting the powder they feel the superhuman capabilities and enter a realm where they can SEE their muscles and strength growing, to the extent that even superman may shirk. They visualize girls screaming and tearing their clothes apart falling at their feet seeing the physique!

You know the fairness creams? They work on exact same principles.
And produce zero results. But people still buy.
Hope.
Belief.

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th June 2015 at 14:15.
Old 8th June 2015, 14:19   #3930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Before that we will have to understand what really happens in the process of getting buff (of course whatever minimal increase that a natural person can ever hope to achieve).
Ok, I think I vaguely get what you are trying to put across

But before that, how do I know whether by nature I am skinny or bulky?? I've been both at various times

Quote:

Parkour is also a very fun thing to watch! (And must be a fun thing to do too)
Yes, fun to watch - but at 40+, a bit old to start, perhaps? sigh!

Last edited by mallumowgli : 8th June 2015 at 14:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks