Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 14:05   #3946
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

The debate between bodyweight and isolation exercises is an intriguing one.

Its a "horses for courses" approach really.

A really heavy/muscular guy might have difficulty doing strict pullups. He can still though have a massive back thanks to him being able to do heavy deads and rows.
Same goes for pushups as well.

Another thing to take into account is mind muscle connection. From a personal point of view, isolation exercises provide greater mind muscle connection than bodyweight pullups and pushups.

Having said that, I simply cannot skip pullups or pushups as they are awesome!

Last edited by TheDesertRat : 27th June 2015 at 14:06. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 27th June 2015, 14:53   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No injuries? That is very surprising. How long have you been working out?
Yes, that's right. That is if you discount some muscle here and there and stiff neck which won't go off with rest and may be a Paracetamol (or Paracetamol & Diclofenec) or two and Diclofenec spray.

I have been working out of quite sometime. May be 3 years about 20 years ago (I was barely skin over bones then and used to smoke heavily but possessed go stamina when I was in school) and for about 3/4 years till now.

Quote:
What is your weight?
Weight varies. I had peaked at 72 in Feb/March. Before that in Oct/November I was 68. Now I am 66. I will go further down as I intend to get my body fat percentage at around 10-12% level (it is around 15-16% level now). I am mighty challenged. And then reverse the process. My height is 5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
The debate between bodyweight and isolation exercises is an intriguing one.

Having said that, I simply cannot skip pullups or pushups as they are awesome!
For me both body-weight exercise and weight training complement each other. In any case in every weight training schedule pull ups occupy a very important place, except that you add a weight belt and weights depending on the number of reps your protocol wants you to perform.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 27th June 2015 at 15:02.
Old 27th June 2015, 15:06   #3948
Team-BHP Support

The no injury thing is very surprising, because fitness is a process where one is constantly pushing the limits. When you constantly push the limits, injuries are part of the process. I have lost count of injuries, some took nearly a year to go away. Right now I am nursing a 10 day old muscle pull from a swimming, where I overdid on breaststroke. Since then I can't lift any weight if I extend my left arm. For example, I can't lift my backpack from the passenger seat as I climb out of the driver seat. Might take another week or two before I can resume upper body workouts.

I haven't seen the 60s in the early 90s. I am stuck at 84kgs for nearly a decade now.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th June 2015 at 15:08.
Old 27th June 2015, 15:49   #3949
BHPian

Quote:
The no injury thing is very surprising, because fitness is a process where one is constantly pushing the limits. When you constantly push the limits, injuries are part of the process. I have lost count of injuries, some took nearly a year to go away. Right now I am nursing a 10 day old muscle pull from a swimming, where I overdid on breaststroke. Since then I can't lift any weight if I extend my left arm. For example, I can't lift my backpack from the passenger seat as I climb out of the driver seat. Might take another week or two before I can resume upper body workouts.

I haven't seen the 60s in the early 90s. I am stuck at 84kgs for nearly a decade now.
When I used to train in our group after college (we were residential school buddies), none had any severe injury. And one of our friends use to move phenomenal weights.

What kept us like this was perhaps our emphasis on strict form. Since I have hardly gone to a gym (only once for about 2/3 months) I can't comment how it goes otherwise.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 27th June 2015 at 15:52.
Old 27th June 2015, 16:45   #3950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
The bench shown in the video is different from the one in the site. In any case go to any one of the twin Ghulati stores in Karol Bagh and take the one locally built. Buy the one which has apart from other things two handles for chest dips. These you can use to support rod for squats.
Any specific reason for visiting this particular store? I mean are their products good quality-wise and aptly priced? I don't have a problem buying a locally made item till the time the bench is durable. Buying something online is always a gamble as the iron strength would be anyone's guess before they actually arrive.

And would their bench serve as a squat rack also, is that what you're saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
And yes you can even do even preacher curl using this bench. Just keep the slab at its most incline point, go behind the bench and do preacher curls.
Fine idea! Many thanks!!

Would they have anything for pull-ups? I have two walls between which I can get a rod fixed, so any suggestions?

Online I saw L-shaped brackets mounted on a single wall and a rod between them. I'm guessing putting a rod between 2 walls would be all the more durable.

Last edited by fine69 : 27th June 2015 at 16:54. Reason: there *their :)
Old 27th June 2015, 16:52   #3951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Any specific reason for visiting this particular store? I mean are there products good quality-wise and aptly priced? I don't have a problem buying a locally made item till the time the bench is durable. Buying something online is always a gamble as the iron strength would be anyone's guess before they actually arrive.

Ghulatis are very old and respected names in sporting field. Initially it was one but since long time they have become two - both of them claiming to be original. Sardarji in the one on the main road will regale you with his anecdotes which will lose their sheen as you keep on hearing the same stories in your later visits. Yes they are reasonably priced, good in terms of quality and thoroughly cluttered.

Quote:
No these are two supports to do chest dips but I use them for squats. Kind of jugaad and needs some wriggling of the body.

Quote:
Would they have anything for pull-ups? I have two walls between which I can get a rod fixed, so any suggestions?

Online I saw L-shaped brackets mounted on a single wall and a rod between them. I'm guessing putting a rod between 2 walls would be all the more durable.
Yes they have it but it needed holes to be drilled in the walls. The one that I have was bought from Decathlon store in Noida. I don't know what this system in called, you can turn it to jam on doorjambs. You can look on their site.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 27th June 2015 at 17:01.
Old 27th June 2015, 17:29   #3952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have two of these. They ship to India, and it works great. I have one on the door frame another between walls.

BTW, I am moving it to the next level. Just ordered a roman ring.
Old 27th June 2015, 18:55   #3953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
2. Same thing for pull ups. Although i dont think this one in particular does anything specific for your back or shoulders.
Quote:
Pullup does nothing to back and shoulders? My own experience says otherwise. But don't take my word.
I was talking about the bench in question, that it does not have anything to work your back and shoulders. Pull ups are the ultimate for working your back and shoulders. Just vary your grip!

In fact, I have been meaning to ask for advice on this. I weigh around 205 pounds (92kgs) and I can do 25 pushups in proper form (2:1 down:up) but hardly 3 or 4 close grip pull ups. Forget wide grip ones! I can do machine pull downs with weights around 140 pounds. Now, any tips on how I can improve my pull up count? Or do you think the risk of injury is high given my weight? This is one fear which prevents me from doing pull ups on a regular basis.

I have been lifting weights for years now. I've had some injuries but none that kept me out of the gym for more than a week. Come to think of it, I have had couple of injuries lifting weights around the house but never at the gym. Injuries are part and parcel of life. Blaming weights for injuries is like blaming guns for killing people
Old 27th June 2015, 20:27   #3954
Team-BHP Support

Injuries happen when limits are pushed... and your body is not ready for it, either because of fatigue or too much resistance. In case of bodyweight workout, you can just give-up with minimum damage. In case of free weights, it can fall on you or bend your arms in the wrong direction. Happened to my friend once, he dropped the bar backwards and couldn't extricate his hand in time. Was in the cast for 6 weeks.

Regarding pullup improvement, I too noticed the same problem. Can't increase the count despite regular practice. The trick is to drop slowly...

BTW, there is no connection between pushups and pullup. Even when I completed the 100 pushup challenge, I couldn't do a single pullup. I had to develop it separately, go up with assistance and drop slowly. Now I do 3 sets of 5 slow ones. Just avoid kipping.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th June 2015 at 01:11. Reason: typo
Old 28th June 2015, 08:59   #3955
BHPian

re: pull-ups, why not start with the basics and then progress upwards?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2m...hWb09wbVE/view

re: why leg extensions being bad:
there are plenty of references and studies on the net: http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/leg-e...ons-vs-squats/
Old 28th June 2015, 10:49   #3956
Senior - BHPian

The other perspective:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-18190...g-weights.html
Old 28th June 2015, 11:34   #3957
Senior - BHPian

I recently started exercises in following order per day at my office gym -
Day 1. Chest
Day 2. Back
Day 3. Shoulders
Day 4. Legs/thighs
Day 5. Biceps/triceps

Its been a week since I have started formally under gym's trainer instructions.

Mostly i do 3 sets(12 rep each) of exercises for that particular days.

But due to office time constraints - i take 30-35 minutes out of my lunch time for gym. Can't devote any further time for it.

Apart from my query regarding the effectiveness of this duration,i would like to know if supporter is a must to wear? I don't do very heavy lifting - max 10kgs on bench press (5kg per plate) for example.

Any further guidance and suggestions about gyming for starters?
Old 28th June 2015, 11:55   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I recently started exercises in following order per day at my office gym -
Day 1. Chest
Day 2. Back
Day 3. Shoulders
Day 4. Legs/thighs
Day 5. Biceps/triceps

Its been a week since I have started formally under gym's trainer instructions.

Mostly i do 3 sets(12 rep each) of exercises for that particular days.

But due to office time constraints - i take 30-35 minutes out of my lunch time for gym. Can't devote any further time for it.

Apart from my query regarding the effectiveness of this duration,i would like to know if supporter is a must to wear? I don't do very heavy lifting - max 10kgs on bench press (5kg per plate) for example.

Any further guidance and suggestions about gyming for starters?

Welcome to the club BlueVolt! Trust me, if you put your heart and soul into it, this can be a life-changing event.

1. Supporters are NOT a must-wear in the gym. Back in the time, people assumed that wearing a supporter would prevent hernia/similar injuries to the groin but further studies/research/practical applications have revealed that this was more of a myth. A normal brief would do the job just fine.

2. Many people think that they need to spend 60 minutes or more in the gym for a proper workout. However, in reality it is not the time but the effort you put in that matters. If you are really going hard for 30 minutes, it should be good enough.

3. Focus on the 4 pillars of strength (Bench, Deads, Press, Squats) and don't spend a lot of time doing accessory work as you are short on time.

4. Hang in there and have patience! It will not be easy but it will be worth it!

Cheers,
Saurabh
Old 28th June 2015, 12:33   #3959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
re: pull-ups, why not start with the basics and then progress upwards?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2m...hWb09wbVE/view
I tried many of these halfway measures. I even built an inverted rows station. But even after 3 months of these, didn't help me. Then I tried this, and that is what finally worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
re: why leg extensions being bad:
there are plenty of references and studies on the net: http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/leg-e...ons-vs-squats/
Yes, this is the other way of getting injured, by doing unnatural movements that will eventually hurt the body. This article is inline with my understanding, except where he says human body was designed to do squats. The correct statement is human bodies evolved to do squats, because our our early ancestors going back to early apes. Can you think of a normal human or ape movement that involves leg extensions?

Those of you who understand evolution, know that human bodies evolved over millions of year by natural selection. Most of the bodyweight workouts are based on what humans evolved to do, so we are not going against what comes naturally to humans. Changes don't happen over the lifespan of one individual, but over many generations. Small changes can happen over few generation, but major changes take 1000s of generations.

So, if you are doing kind of workouts in the gym that has very little connection to normal human activity since few thousand years, you may be doing things humans didn't evolve to do.

Oak trees are known for strength. We humans and oak trees had a common ancestor, but we humans can never be as strong as an oak tree. This is because our evolutionary path took us in a very different direction. We can pick elephants, if you don't want to think of a tree as your evolutionary cousin.

But you will notice that a rat is a closer cousin to humans than elephant.

Source
Old 28th June 2015, 20:35   #3960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case of free weights, it can fall on you or bend your arms in the wrong direction. Happened to my friend once, he dropped the bar backwards and couldn't extricate his hand in time. Was in the cast for 6 weeks.
That's like blaming the speed breaker for breaking your suspension, irrespective of the fact that you were going too fast!! You need to know your limits and know when to stop yourself from breaking your body. It's not the weights that cause the problem, it is the ego people carry into the gym when doing weights that causes the problem. Weightlifting requires as much discipline as strength. Once you learn to discipline yourself, injuries become a rarity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks