Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 13:17   #3796
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What about the results?
I am talking about everything not just the physique aspect, but agility, appetite, conditioning, mood, etc
See this was around '95 or '97 and the Pehelwan was Gargi Chacha, a pretty known wrestler and bodybuilder of his time, also competed and won a few State titles before he got leucoderma and retired.

I really never looked at my physique back then, or even about the finer nuances of muscles.

Doing a lot was the norm, so I did. Was about 18 years old then, and hardly even knew much about form and function.

One thing I realized, we were made to do a lot of heavy duty lifting and bodyweight work as a routine and nobody referred to getting stronger, but rather getting used to the movement.

If you rehearse the movement well enough you can lift more weight - is what we learnt, and full range of movement on everything, no bro-science.

Also, if you cannot lift the weight 10-15 times then don't touch it. 10 was the sacred stop. Das-Das. And if you can do 10, then do more sets, we were not provided with extra weights.

The free weights were more reserved for the seniors and bodybuilders.

We were told everyday what to do. Imagine the ignorance we would even do Upright rows for Chest and Press Behind the neck for Back.

There was never any emphasis on sprouting veins or getting harder, frankly we didn't even know if we could get there. The bodybuilding aspirants used to train separately and we realized they were far tighter overall and nowhere near flexible as our lot. Also, they never wrestled for fear of injury impeding their contest dreams.

Sleep used to be deep, appetite used to be firing all day, but only 4 big meals a day. Breakfast, Lunch, Evening, Dinner. Mood used to be just fine, and decent agility. Never really gave it all a thought, and no injuries. Guess also because we were young kids then.

I remember eating anything and everything, mostly Vegetarian; Non-Veg used to be 1/2 days a week; and there was no norm of protein or carbs or even fats. We didn't even know what these animals were and zero supplements, just regular food.

But everyone was lithe built, nobody bulky at all, and well proportioned. But strong.

I later switched to a commercial gym around end '97 after my boards exams; equipped with machines and weights and workout tables, and didn't look back.

About all I recall.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:53   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
A small study performed on young and elderly found that ingestion of 340 grams of lean beef (90 g protein) did not increase muscle protein synthesis any more than ingestion of 113 grams of lean beef (30 g protein). In both groups, muscle protein synthesis increased by 50%. The study concluded that more than 30 g protein in a single meal did not further enhance the stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly.[11] However, this study didn't check protein synthesis in relation to training; therefore conclusions from this research are controversial.

It is not uncommon for bodybuilders to advise a protein intake as high as 2–4 g per kilogram of bodyweight per day.[12] However, scientific literature has suggested this is higher than necessary, as protein intakes greater than 1.8 g per kilogram of body weight showed to have no greater effect on muscle hypertrophy.[13]

A study carried out by American College of Sports Medicine (2002) put the recommended daily protein intake for athletes at 1.2–1.8 g per kilogram of body weight.[14][15][13] Conversely, Di Pasquale (2008), citing recent studies, recommends a minimum protein intake of 2.2 g/kg "for anyone involved in competitive or intense recreational sports who wants to maximize lean body mass but does not wish to gain weight.

However athletes involved in strength events (..) may need even more to maximize body composition and athletic performance. In those attempting to minimize body fat and thus maximize body composition, for example in sports with weight classes and in bodybuilding, it’s possible that protein may well make up over 50% of their daily caloric intake."[16]
Read this in wikipedia. The conclusion it draws leads to high protein intake and very high in case of bodybuilders and sportsperson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

Your take on this.
Old 15th December 2014, 15:31   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Read this in wikipedia. The conclusion it draws leads to high protein intake and very high in case of bodybuilders and sportsperson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

Your take on this.
IF one eats only proteins and falls short of the calorific requirement, he will lose muscles as well as body fat.

You require essential amino acids on top of the basic calorific requirement (being met through any macro nutrient) because the body cannot synthesize those. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid
The quantities given by WHO is for adult who doesn't want to suffer protein deficiency. Works out to be about 15-30 grams.

Anyone who is eating more than that. Perhaps by tearing into beef shoulder or chicken legs, or gulping eggs, or drinking legumes.

And still not putting on bulging muscles. (you will know this within 3-6 months)
Imagine where that protein being ingested is used ...?
As pure calories.

Proteins get converted to glucose.

Of course the scene here is same as fat loss. I used to get sad by people falling for protein hoax. Now I feel happy. It is a way to redistribute the wealth in an economy. Sell dreams, make money, deliver nothing.

There is, though, one way where high protein intake will actually help ... ;-)
And that way will actually give you muscles too.

By the way, scientific research will always differ from observations by the real bodybuilders.
Scientific research is never done on enhanced people.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th December 2014 at 16:00.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:21   #3799
BHPian

Thank you very much alpha1 for your fascinating posts on nutrition. An average person who gets into the gym, irrespective of his goal to become a full time body builder or just get back to shape, thinks protein powder is essential to build muscles. I was in that impression and your posts helped to inject some sense into the brain. Thanks again.

I joined a local gym couple of weeks back. Good or Bad, there is no dedicated trainer there. Senior members manage the gym and they usually are busy with their schedule. So I looked up google and found Kris Gethin's 12 weeks transform program. Following it to the dot except all the nutrition he is suggesting and I'm finding the program very interesting. Let's see if I can transform myself into a better shape.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:34   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicruz View Post
Thank you very much alpha1 for your fascinating posts on nutrition. An average person who gets into the gym, irrespective of his goal to become a full time body builder or just get back to shape, thinks protein powder is essential to build muscles. I was in that impression and your posts helped to inject some sense into the brain. Thanks again.

I joined a local gym couple of weeks back. Good or Bad, there is no dedicated trainer there. Senior members manage the gym and they usually are busy with their schedule. So I looked up google and found Kris Gethin's 12 weeks transform program. Following it to the dot except all the nutrition he is suggesting and I'm finding the program very interesting. Let's see if I can transform myself into a better shape.

Install the bodybuilding app from the android store and track the 12 week program using the app . helps when you get encouragement from a community of people determined to lead a healthy life . Its like a social networking platform for people who like a healthy life and like to work out .

Also , the Kris Gethin program is a bit too intense to start with . I've started with a program called Lee Labrada Lean Body Program . And its helping a lot . Into my second month I can already see changes .
Old 16th December 2014, 19:24   #3801
BHPian

Thanks Gautam. Yes, I have BodySpace app in my phone. Though I'm not tracking it online, following the daily schedule and videos for workout.

I'm used to intense workouts in the past [marital arts & cycling], though last 1.5 years was sedentary. So far I'm not finding it difficult.
Old 16th December 2014, 19:26   #3802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Install the bodybuilding app from the android store and track the 12 week program using the app . helps when you get encouragement from a community of people determined to lead a healthy life . Its like a social networking platform for people who like a healthy life and like to work out .

Also , the Kris Gethin program is a bit too intense to start with . I've started with a program called Lee Labrada Lean Body Program . And its helping a lot . Into my second month I can already see changes .
Please stay away from all that crap. These are meant to sell supplements and do not work as well as the established ones. Kris Gethin or Jim Stopanni are not a bunch of idiots. The claims they make are simply too good to be true and have a long list of 300 dollar supplements for getting results.
For beginners,start with the basic compound lifts,and read Riptoes Starting Strength guide.
You can also try to read the sickies on the bb.com's forum.
Old 16th December 2014, 20:57   #3803
BHPian

I am currently 29, 5'7" and weigh a good 78 kgs.

I have been to gym in my teens, for a couple of years.

I need to get my weight down to around 68 kgs, but dont want to go to the gym due to the time constraints.

I plan to do it by the means of calisthenic exercises. i.e. using my own body weight.

I need to do it in right manner. I did try searching internet for the same but have got mixed ways.

Right now I have only started with push ups.

Please suggest me exercises without weight/equipments to improve my physique.
Old 16th December 2014, 21:45   #3804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Slowly increase strength and try various styles of pushups like diamond pushups etc. Pay attention to the from, that is of utmost importance.

Elbows staying parallel to the body is for triceps and elbows going outwards is for the chest. Pay attention that you don't put unnecessary weight on your wrist, arms.

Apart from pushups, do squats, lunges, pistols, plank hold(excellent exercise, don't underestimate it) and the king of bodyweight exercises, Pull-Ups. Range your pull ups from narrow to wide grip. These are the best bodyweight exercises I can think of now. From the CrossFit stable you can add burpees (very potent move) and box jumps. And yes, RUN! Best cardio for your body, helping you shed the weight faster.

I suggest look up the form of each exercise on youtube and you will also find several bodyweight exercises apart from what I've mentioned on google(this is IF I have missed any). I again emphasize this, form precedes quantity. All the best

-Bhargav
Old 16th December 2014, 23:59   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to do it by the means of calisthenic exercises. i.e. using my own body weight.
Try this -
Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout App

All you require is a chair,wall and a phone supporting android or iOS.The app can be downloaded for free on the App Store and Google play.
From an easy seven minute workout to a superhero cycle, this app has something for all fitness levels.
Link - https://7minuteworkout.jnj.com/
Old 17th December 2014, 00:08   #3806
BHPian

Quote:
I am currently 29, 5'7" and weigh a good 78 kgs.
You lose weight when you are on a calorie deficit diet. Exercises, especially the ones like push ups won't help much in boosting your metabolism. Jog or do more cardio and some body weight exercises. Best bet would be to calculate your TDE E(Total Daily Energy expenditure ) ie the number of calories you need to maintain your weight. Then subtract a few hundred from TDEE and make a diet plan accordingly. Adjust calories on the basis of your results. You can find TDEE through many online calculators, I prefer IIFYM.
Old 17th December 2014, 12:14   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Why have you started with pushups. I am not questioning you for determining right or wrong approach - but to understand why did you thought of starting with pushups. Seen some one do it? Movies? Friends? Felt the pump in chest? I mean why pushups and why not squats like wrestlers do, or pullups like monkeys/apes, running like horse ... etc.
Once again please do not feel I am trying to offend you or interrogate, it is just that I want to understand how you came about to doing it for the first time.

2. Improve physique = ? Very subjective statement. You may start liking your physique just by reduction of body fat that will happen once you go from 78 kg to 68 kg! Or you may hate your physique even if you take Deca and while lifting huge weights, reducing your bodyfat and sprouting your muscles simultaneously.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th December 2014 at 12:17.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:24   #3808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Slowly increase strength and try various styles of pushups like diamond pushups etc. Pay attention to the from, that is of utmost importance.

Elbows staying parallel to the body is for triceps and elbows going outwards is for the chest. Pay attention that you don't put unnecessary weight on your wrist, arms.

Apart from pushups, do squats, lunges, pistols, plank hold(excellent exercise, don't underestimate it) and the king of bodyweight exercises, Pull-Ups. Range your pull ups from narrow to wide grip. These are the best bodyweight exercises I can think of now. From the CrossFit stable you can add burpees (very potent move) and box jumps. And yes, RUN! Best cardio for your body, helping you shed the weight faster.

I suggest look up the form of each exercise on Youtube and you will also find several bodyweight exercises apart from what I've mentioned on google(this is IF I have missed any). I again emphasize this, form precedes quantity. All the best

-Bhargav
Thanks Bhargav, yes you covered most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graven5 View Post
Try this -
Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout App

All you require is a chair,wall and a phone supporting android or iOS.The app can be downloaded for free on the App Store and Google play.
From an easy seven minute workout to a superhero cycle, this app has something for all fitness levels.
Link - https://7minuteworkout.jnj.com/
Yes Saar, downloaded this app, awesome. Tried it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
You lose weight when you are on a calorie deficit diet. Exercises, especially the ones like push ups won't help much in boosting your metabolism. Jog or do more cardio and some body weight exercises. Best bet would be to calculate your TDE E(Total Daily Energy expenditure ) ie the number of calories you need to maintain your weight. Then subtract a few hundred from TDEE and make a diet plan accordingly. Adjust calories on the basis of your results. You can find TDEE through many online calculators, I prefer IIFYM.
I dont understand the science of calories. SERIOUSLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1. Why have you started with pushups. I am not questioning you for determining right or wrong approach - but to understand why did you thought of starting with pushups. Seen some one do it? Movies? Friends? Felt the pump in chest? I mean why pushups and why not squats like wrestlers do, or pullups like monkeys/apes, running like horse ... etc.
Once again please do not feel I am trying to offend you or interrogate, it is just that I want to understand how you came about to doing it for the first time..
Pushups - simple to do, can be done with basic warm up.
pullups - no pull up bar, read - nothing to hang on to.
Squats - do not wish to become a wrestler.
Running - need indoor exercises for now. (I may take up swimming later on, but I avoid running on roads, parks are too far.)

Quote:
2. Improve physique = ? Very subjective statement. You may start liking your physique just by reduction of body fat that will happen once you go from 78 kg to 68 kg! Or you may hate your physique even if you take Deca and while lifting huge weights, reducing your bodyfat and sprouting your muscles simultaneously.
Improve Physique = Fit flat tummy, no six pack abs or muscles mearsuring so and so. Just lean and proportiponate body.
Old 17th December 2014, 15:15   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Improve Physique = Fit flat tummy, no six pack abs or muscles mearsuring so and so. Just lean and proportiponate body.
The process you have set forth will make the your goal uphill. You may lose fat but will also lose muscles, and more of the latter, if you want a fit flat tummy. Please give it a thought.

Suggested Exercises: Pull ups, chin ups, push ups, burpees, squats, running (HIIT if possible), skipping, lunges, crunches (various ab variations), you can even buy a bar and couple of light weights... maintain a good tempo, rest just to get your breathing in order and start the circuit once again... get some programmes such as Shaun T etc., start dancing, stair climbing... the list of possibilities are endless. Internet is full of them, just pick the ones you like and start doing it.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 17th December 2014 at 15:26.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:57   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Pushups - simple to do, can be done with basic warm up.
pullups - no pull up bar, read - nothing to hang on to.
Squats - do not wish to become a wrestler.
Running - need indoor exercises for now. (I may take up swimming later on, but I avoid running on roads, parks are too far.)

The simplest action for the human body to do is sit down and get back up.

The pushup is not simple, not for the CNS, not for even the ignorant.

Nobody said you will become a wrestler, but understand mechanics, there are reasons why complexes are advised for overall body balance, strength and even well being.

The simple motion of sitting down, if you dont want to refer to it as a squat; ensures your major joints like hip, knee, ankle are well mobile and if you see villagers or even the most rural people never have a belly because they sit on the ground all the time. This one simple motion will decide whether you will have a fit flat tummy the rest of your life or will you struggle to get one.

I'm not a proponent of 6 pack abs; also because I have never been able to achieve them- no matter what I did. 2.5 abs maybe, but never got nowhere beyond.

Look up 'The Fortress' and 'Brendan Meyers' on YouTube.

Here are the links for all interested in bodyweight workouts.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress

https://www.youtube.com/user/leftyjrpro

Getting to the Pull Up, find any place to hang from and pull yourself up, it is that simple. Start with just pulling yourself up and holding that position for a few counts, then lower yourself under control. You will be surprised how strong this alone makes you and your arms + back + core.

The two exercises I miss after my injury last year is being unable to do the Pull-Up and Dips. Instead of Push Ups I would advise Dips, on a parallel bar, on anything you can comfortably.

They will serve you better for overall development IMO, than Push Ups alone. Proportionate as you want.

All the best.

Most Viewed