Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 14:44   #3826
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Not too sure about this guy in the video. He claims to have not used any steroids and/or supplements that is dubious.

As far as functional movements are concerned, CrossFit is the way to go. It is a shame that the concept has still not caught up in India (I haven't come across any "authentic" boxes in the NCR area).

Lookup Rich Froning (the CrossFit Games champion) and you will see the how/what the world's most fit guy looks like. He is a master of functional movements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Amazing. But how could a man who could do all this just 3 months ago look like this? OR ALTERNATELY. How could a man who was like this could do all this in just 9 months? To me it is not a transformation but just a dieting (?) trick. Nonetheless it is amazing. Hats off to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
One word. AMAZING. It looks like he is indeed doing everything naturally and if he is then hats off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Functional strength was discussed in the last few pages, is this guy the epitome of functional strength?

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sOMl5sGl4FQ

I don't care whether he's training all natural or not but he needs to get his DNA tested in lab for how he's able to do what all he's doing. I've never seen any guy like him, ever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Somebody I know underwent a major transformation, you can read the story here.

Must have required enormous amount of discipline and effort.
All said, and without taking anything away from both these examples:- it is not without help that such 'feats' are attained.

Period.

If you looking at this Farid Berlin guy, there are many more like Frank Medrano and Brendan Meyers to just name two on top of their game.

It is a lot and a lot of hard work yes, but depends on what you're working on with synthetic help. Size and muscularity or Strength or Speed, agility and endurance.

The way I have seen, people who resort to synthetic help tailor their training basis the resultant outcome they're working on.

As for functional training, I feel that's a tool to create commercial differentiation by trainers. All training is functional, for function, with function, towards it, unless one only does bicep curls.

Crossfit is fairly popular in Mumbai, we have people like CrossfitOm and Bodyholics who are again locally top of their game here. Not so sure about NCR, K11 also had something going I guess.

It is a fad built around Olympic lifts, and is really taxing IMHO - on frame, musculature, joints and CNS. Gains and conditioning like Froning's will only come if the training is combined with synthetic help. The only good thing, again IMO, that Crossfit has done is popularize the big lifts like Deads, Squat, Snatch and most importantly the Pull-up.

But if not cut out for it and under strict supervision, one could easily get hurt, every day.

If diet and training alone could cut it, we would all be walking around with 6-8 packs, depending on our genetics. I only look at these guys for motivation maybe, at best; coz I can never be even close to them.
Old 15th January 2015, 16:15   #3827
BHPian

Well said about the injuries during CrossFit. However, if you start slowly and sensibily (i.e, do not attempt to front squat 60 kgs in your first attempt) you can get around the injury part.

CrossFit by no means is easy. In fact, it is the exact opposite. Therein lies its beauty. Although people like Wendler do not actively preach and support CrossFit, they have acknowledged the fact that this is probably the one regime where nutrirition can be given the least importance and you can still come out looking good.

I personally try to keep my body guessing and switch to CrossFit workout once every week.

P.S. Completed "The Murph" in 58 minutes and was shivering for the next 30 minutes after completion!
Old 16th January 2015, 11:57   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Well said about the injuries during CrossFit. However, if you start slowly and sensibily (i.e, do not attempt to front squat 60 kgs in your first attempt) you can get around the injury part.

CrossFit by no means is easy. In fact, it is the exact opposite. Therein lies its beauty. Although people like Wendler do not actively preach and support CrossFit, they have acknowledged the fact that this is probably the one regime where nutrirition can be given the least importance and you can still come out looking good.

I personally try to keep my body guessing and switch to CrossFit workout once every week.

P.S. Completed "The Murph" in 58 minutes and was shivering for the next 30 minutes after completion!
I guess the Front Squat is a bad example. It is a safer squat variation and can not easily lead to injuries, but I get your point.

The basic point is that most people need to train the CNS and body to adapt for such moves, as many new to lifting even struggle with a proper bicep curl.

Crossfit trains one for endurance and agility, and in such really doesn't matter what you eat so long as you are getting plenty enough, daily. But again, the macros need to be around IMO. You can easily tell the ones at Crossfit Games who are jacked on gear and those who are natural, or borderline.

The Murph has about a 100 Pull Ups, you did those, and more in an hour? That's a commendable job, how many do you do in one go, and bodyweight?
Old 16th January 2015, 12:04   #3829
BHPian

My bodyweight is 73 kgs. I usually break my pull-ups in sets of 15.

Once you cross 50 though, I only manage 5 in one go.
Once you cross 70, I manage do 3 or 2
Post 90, it's all singles with a jump!

Remember that these are not strict pull-ups but kipping ones.
I haven't seen anyone around yet that does 50 strict pullups.

I am planning to do "300" this Saturday. Will post my times if I am still alive!
Old 18th January 2015, 16:48   #3830
BHPian

Quote:

Do you do these CF workouts in a proper CF box or a normal gym? Do try the Filthy Fifty sometime

-Bhargav
Old 18th January 2015, 17:25   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Do you do these CF workouts in a proper CF box or a normal gym? Do try the Filthy Fifty sometime

-Bhargav
The place I am currently at has 4 "box-shaped" buildings that serve as different gyms. One of them is dedicated to cross-fit/circuits. I try doing my CF workouts mostly outside in a court.

Filthy Fifty maybe next month!
Old 19th January 2015, 13:01   #3832
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to do "300" this Saturday. Will post my times if I am still alive!
Sure, all the best.

Do post your pictures/videos too.
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:46   #3833
BHPian

Looking for advice's on testosterone shots . My friend took it and his body is showing results. He had done fairly good amount of research on the subject before getting it injected. Even though, friend is advocating the use of moderate testosterone usage, i am not completely convinced.

I am looking for expert advice's on this matter.
Old 23rd January 2015, 22:57   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post
Looking for advice's on testosterone shots . My friend took it and his body is showing results. He had done fairly good amount of research on the subject before getting it injected. Even though, friend is advocating the use of moderate testosterone usage, i am not completely convinced.

Is it for real? Honestly, it sounds insane to me.

Not happy with having full head hair? Want to lose Libido? Heard of DHT?

Please don't play with such things. What I listed is just couple, the list will be enormous.

Remember, science doesn't even have complete side-effects list for the normal medicines we take for normal illnesses like common cold, fever, etc.

Hope your goal is long term mental and physical wellness.

Stay safe, stay happy!

P.S: I'm breathing gym in and out for the past more than 13 years and I started when I was 17.
Old 24th January 2015, 19:34   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

This is interesting. Can you explain?
Old 27th January 2015, 16:36   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post

You say your friend took and showed good results, had also done good amount of research, is also advocating but you are not completely convinced and now... you are asking complete strangers who might not even be experts.

That's really risky IMO, if injecting synthetics wasn't already.

Are you aware of what is he taking and any doses he recommended?

Anyways, I will advise against it. Even qualified doctors and practitioners of medicine do research and still end up doing is trials and practice.

There are very few definites.

See, understand the base of things:- Your body, produces every hormone it needs basis what it foresees as the physiological future. That is based on what you do with your body, what you eat etc.

This is only altered by age.

So when you ingest or inject from the outside, something that the body produces, it will shut natural production. And resuming production is slow uphill task, it's not an on/off switch.

So when you ingest or inject synthetic Test, you will have ample floating around and feel strong, look better, have increased libido and what you eat and do with your body will determine how that test is put to use; for the foreseeable physiological future.
But when you stop, and which you have to; it's called a crash and everything STOPS.

The body undergoes a state of shock, the testicles which had stopped Test production and would have probably shrunk, depending on the period of this cycle of ingesting/injecting; will be signalled to return to life for natural Test production.

We all know Cars, and sometimes they don't start right back up after a long gap of inactivity.

So plz, plz be very careful and also ensure your friend takes ample care. Recreational cycles work fine a few times, specially when we are young and the body can cope. Sometimes they go horribly wrong. But what you put inside takes years to show up as a problem.

That's the reason most Test is administered professionally by Doctors who are specialized in hormone replacement therapies etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Is it for real? Honestly, it sounds insane to me.

Please don't play with such things. What I listed is just couple, the list will be enormous.

Remember, science doesn't even have complete side-effects list for the normal medicines we take for normal illnesses like common cold, fever, etc.

Hope your goal is long term mental and physical wellness.

Stay safe, stay happy!

P.S: I'm breathing gym in and out for the past more than 13 years and I started when I was 17.
Agree with this.
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:28   #3837
Team-BHP Support

Wanted to put a word out for those who want fitness without bodybuilding.

People who haven't experienced martial arts conditioning won't really know how that conditioning can save you from injuries during accidental falls. The body gets used to falling safely without any conscious thought.

During the Udupi TeamBHP meet yesterday, we somehow got into mock fighting and stunts thanks to two of us with martial arts background. I'll be 46 next month, and the other gentlemen is 50.

See the photos here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...es-wild-5.html

I don't have good balance in handstand, so I can hold it only for couple seconds. I had to repeat the handstand many times for the photographers to shoot it at the right moment. And I fell from the handstand in every which way. Then I did many forward rolls, breaking a fall at the last moment, demonstrated the art of falling on the back without using hands, etc. Again I had to repeat it many times to get it right on the cameras. In total I must have fallen about 25 times in so many different ways. I only had slight soreness this morning, nothing more.

I am not into bodybuilding at all, and I have not taken a single supplement or any synthetic stuff in my 31 years of workout. I haven't even entered a gym since 1997. In other words, there are so many ways to be fit.
Old 5th February 2015, 11:52   #3838
Team-BHP Support

A very sensible and enlightening video...

Old 23rd February 2015, 11:22   #3839
Team-BHP Support

This thread has gone very silent... so let plug some more bodyweight stuff.

Saw this on my FB feed today: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...eight-workout/

PS: He spoils the message by inserting a video blurb at the beginning showing the exact opposite stuff.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2015 at 11:36.
Old 6th March 2015, 09:49   #3840
BHPian

Any fitness band users/reviews here?

Am thinking of buying a fitness band and thought of seeking reviews from existing users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks