Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 13:54   #3976
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So I installed the Roman rings last week.

I was somehow under the impression that Roman rings will be easier than a pullup bar, because I can turn the rings in any angle I want. Boy, was I mistaken...
After gaining some decent strength and being able to do a good number of pull ups (at a go) on the bar I thought I should try the rings at a friend's CrossFit box. I have never found myself so embarrassed in front of others. As it is Crossfitters look down on 'normal gym' goers and my inability to control the rings gave them one more reason to do so.

I am still not able to do even a single muscle up on the bar. Pull ups, yes, but that first muscle up is a distant dream.

BTW, those 'Bar Brothers' are insane. They always claim in the videos that their body is all natural; its really hard to believe this. The amount of strength those guys have is just Herculean IMO!

P.S. Sir, if you can muscle up on the bar, mind sharing a video of the same? Have seen beginners' muscle up videos where they use thrust from the legs and at one point almost rest their chest on top of the bar. Have never tried it though.

-Bhargav
Old 6th July 2015, 14:35   #3977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
P.S. Sir, if you can muscle up on the bar, mind sharing a video of the same? Have seen beginners' muscle up videos where they use thrust from the legs and at one point almost rest their chest on top of the bar. Have never tried it though.
Don't hold your breath, it will be a long wait. But it has given me a new goal though. I want to achieve muscle up on bar, followed by rings, and finally... the Iron Cross. Something to achieve before turning 50, I have less then 4 years to reach there.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:24   #3978
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats a good protein to take?

Do recommend one that has a good protein intake in one scoop serving itself as I would be having my protein shake closer to my dinner time and don't want a heavy shake to interfere with my dinner appetite.

Taste is VERY important, I have bought several in the past and given up on wasted them due to their awful taste. A chocolate or dark chocolate taste would be prefered.

Lastly, something that is easy on the tummy as often protein shakes are hard to digest. I was recommended hydro whey by a friend who claimed its easier to digest that other protein shakes.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:52   #3979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Do recommend one that has a good protein intake in one scoop serving itself as I would be having my protein shake closer to my dinner time and don't want a heavy shake to interfere with my dinner appetite.

Taste is VERY important, I have bought several in the past and given up on wasted them due to their awful taste. A chocolate or dark chocolate taste would be prefered.

Lastly, something that is easy on the tummy as often protein shakes are hard to digest. I was recommended hydro whey by a friend who claimed its easier to digest that other protein shakes.
This is the one i take these days. 24 gms of protein per scoopTaste is ok. A little on the sweeter side though. It provides 110 calories per scoop, whereas Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard provides 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
These days I take two scoops of Dymatize ISO mixed with water before I go to the gym
Dymatize ISO 100 Hydrilyzed Whey
Old 14th July 2015, 20:19   #3980
BHPian

Quote:

Per your requirement, I would recommend ON Whey or ON Hydro Whey.

and if its above your budget, then MuscleBlaze Whey or Whey Isolate.

I've tried many, but these are the ones's that mix well and are light on the stomach.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:31   #3981
BHPian

Hello everyone, been away from this thread for a while.

Hope training's coming along well for all.

Quote:

I would strongly recommend ON 100% Whey. Hydro Whey etc are a bit too much of a fad for me. It's just the processing bit, hydrolized that gives it the name.

Whey protein in general is easier to digest, compared to Blends or maybe Casein.

ON is probably the only brand that makes it's own protein. Pick up a tub and read the label, it says Manufactured BY ON. Others usually say Manufactured FOR XYZ.

Now we don't know for sure whether that scoop holds 24-25-30 gms of protein, and even more cannot be sure what facility was this "Manufactured FOR" comes from.

That said, protein from whole foods is preferred, unless it's an absolute situation where good food is not available, but you can ignore this coz you're having this scoop with dinner.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:25   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Taste is VERY important
If you want Isolates and don't mind the price, try ISO Sensation 93. 30 Grams of protein and 130 Calories per serving. Since you mentioned taste, it comes in different flavours and known for good taste. I recently picked up 2lbs for Rs. 3350 from Amazon.
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:28   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Note to self: Do NOT use Smith Machine for deadlifts . I must have been suffering from brain fade when I tried this couple of days back because earlier I have always used free weights. The bar moved just a couple of inches forward as I was bringing it down, into my 5th rep of second set. I immediately felt something go wrong with my lower back. I let go of the bar and walked gently for the next 10 minutes. By the end of the day I was stiff as an Egyptian mummy. I guess I wont be going to the gym for the next one week or so, which actually works well for me given that I was at the end of the 6 week Dorian Yates program anyway.
Today is Day 3 of recovery and I am already feeling much better than Day 1. But at 37 years, recovery is going to be rather slow
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:33   #3984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Note to self: Do NOT use Smith Machine for deadlifts . I must have been suffering from brain fade when I tried this couple of days back because earlier I have always used free weights.
So... are you ready to revisit this statement?
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:39   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So... are you ready to revisit this statement?
Why should I?? I pretty much still stand by what I said.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:40   #3986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note to self: Do NOT use Smith Machine for deadlifts . I must have been suffering from brain fade when I tried this couple of days back because earlier I have always used free weights. The bar moved just a couple of inches forward as I was bringing it down, into my 5th rep of second set. I immediately felt something go wrong with my lower back.
Although your point about smith machines and deadlift/squat is in right sense (the weight doesn't move in a straight vertical line when doing it with barbell, therefore smith machine is "unnatural" in enforcing a strict straight path),
I am sure the injury that you are referring to can be had even with free weights when you loosen the lower back tightness just for a moment and round the lower back a wee bit. So don't feel too bad about the smith machine decision

Also try the sumo variation. I have felt that it places the spine in a better position than the narrow stance version. In fact come to think of it: whenever we lift something ultra heavy off the ground, the legs usually lie on the either side of the load.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th July 2015 at 11:42.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:53   #3987
Senior - BHPian

This is the second time I've fallen sick in the last one month. I'm a victim of over-training and need some help.

I usually do about one hour of swimming in the morning followed by weight training at home for 2 major muscle groups everyday.

By the time I start for office I'm already sleepy. The entire day in office I feel like a zombie and the drive back to home is a major task as I can hardly keep myself awake.

Yesterday I again got fever due to exertion so I wanted to check with you all. What's a good routine that continues to have swimming a part of it and weight training also.

My office has a gym so is it better to only do swimming in the morning and probably do weights in the evening? Instead of two muscle groups everyday, should I cut back and only do one?
Old 24th July 2015, 12:16   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I usually do about one hour of swimming in the morning followed by weight training at home for 2 major muscle groups everyday.
Why don't you try the reverse? Do weights and then swim? Cardio and cool down together at the end
While I have not tried this myself, a friend was suggesting this.
Old 24th July 2015, 12:53   #3989
BHPian

Quote:
I immediately felt something go wrong with my lower back.
Injuries are part of training. They remind you not to slacken your form especially on exercises such as Deadlift.

Quote:
This is the second time I've fallen sick in the last one month. I'm a victim of over-training and need some help.
Personally I don't believe in overtraining. What is more important, I think, is adaptation. First of all get your sleep in order, even if it means taking a painkiller at night. It should last not more than 3-4 days.

Second, start easy with your training and give yourself 10-15 days or even a month to reach the full blast. Give time to your body to get used to the strain. And eat enough.
Old 24th July 2015, 15:06   #3990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the time I start for office I'm already sleepy. The entire day in office I feel like a zombie and the drive back to home is a major task as I can hardly keep myself awake.
Falling sick frequently is a sure shot sign of over-training or under-nutrition or both.

Can you just list out what all do you exactly do and when. In this kind of fashion:
Sunday:
7 am - front crawl 2000m continuous or perhaps with 1 minute rest between laps etc for 1hour
5 sets 5 reps Bicep curls with 80% of max
3 sets 3 reps triceps kick backs with 90% of max
10 sets 10 reps deadlifts with 100% of max

Monday:
Butterfly 1000m continuous or perhaps with 1 minute rest between laps etc in 1 hour
5 sets 5 reps Bicep hammer curls with 80% of max
3 sets 3 reps triceps skullcrush backs with 90% of max
10 sets 10 reps squat with 100% of max

Tuesday:
7 am - butterfly 1000m continuous or perhaps with 1 minute rest between laps etc
Noweights

Wednesday:
NOthing

etc ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks