Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 13:17   #3841
BHPian

Re: Any fitness band users/reviews here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am thinking of buying a fitness band and thought of seeking reviews from existing users.
Depends on what is the usage you are planning on?

I have a set of SKLZ bands for indoor training or while traveling, they are probably the best I've come across.
Picked a set of 3 progressive strength bands with a triple cable grip handle, from Healthkart.com.

Here's a link:- http://www.healthkart.com/fitness/fi...ands=848&txtQ=

Also have a set of Theraband for rotator and scapular work, they are good too.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:32   #3842
BHPian

Re: Any fitness band users/reviews here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Depends on what is the usage you are planning on?
I had posted in the gadgets forum and was moved into this thread. I was looking at smart bands / fitness bands as in Microsoft Band or Fitbit Flex or Garmin VivoSmart etc.

Sorry for the confusion caused.
Old 9th March 2015, 08:02   #3843
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Sachin, for a single line query you'll have use one of the existing threads. So it is either this or weight loss thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th March 2015 at 15:35.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:48   #3844
Senior - BHPian

So here's a very popular book on Strength Training : Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe.

It focuses on using the barbell for strength training for the squat, the press and the deadlift. Unfortunately, the paperback edition is not available in India, would've purchased it otherwise.

An interesting line from the book :

Barbells, and the primary exercises we use them to do, are far superior to any other training tools that have ever been devised.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th March 2015 at 12:01.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:39   #3845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This thread has gone very silent... so let plug some more bodyweight stuff.
I have gone silent on this thread mainly because all I had to write has been posted earlier. In spite of that we have people coming up with renewed hope of trying to become strong as Mark Henry and as muscular as Ronnie Coleman and showing examples to support the same.

Of course the hope and consequent enthusiasm is understandable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Barbells, and the primary exercises we use them to do, are far superior to any other training tools that have ever been devised.
Only as long as your aim is to increase the very low rep strength.
If you see improving physique look wise, dumbells may be far better for getting bigger biceps ...
I know I am just nit picking though ...

Anyway Mark Rippetoe is absolutely wrong when he says that strength is the single most important thing in this word.
[He begins his book with that line]
Sorry MrMark, stamina was the most important thing for survival even back during the paleo ages, and remains so even today (check out any sports events). For heavy loads men have always resorted to using group strength.

Strength was ONLY required for mating (via displaying dominance over other males) and therefore is very very tightly coupled with genetics; which in other words mean that you shouldn't feel disheartened by the idiots at SS forum who may be doing 200 kg squats and deadlifts by doing SS program for only 6 months, you may never reach that ever (or perhaps you may if you sport a sumo wrestler physique).

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th March 2015 at 15:08.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:45   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Anyway Mark Rippetoe is absolutely wrong when he says that strength is the single most important thing in this word.
He's not saying that strength is the most important thing in the world.

He's saying that barbells( as opposed to other strength training tools such as machines or dumbbells), alongwith some basic exercises, are the most effective way to build strength.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th March 2015 at 15:02.
Old 17th March 2015, 05:38   #3847
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys have any iOS app to recommend for tracking workouts?
Old 29th March 2015, 12:29   #3848
Senior - BHPian

I had my meniscus tear in both the knees due to extreme cardio. Does anyone from the group know about this?
Old 29th March 2015, 18:50   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Ouch. How extreme was your cardio?
I have not suffered from this because the patellar subluxation in my knees made me extra careful about what i did to my knees.
Old 29th March 2015, 19:42   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Well there's this program called 'Insanity' and I used to complete this, do some weights and then some cardio involving jumping etc. During one of the sessions I high jumped about 15-20 times in about 10-12 seconds and next day onwards I couldn't straighten my legs.

My last visit to apollo after MRI suggested that I need go undergo Arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn piece of cartilage.

I have a partial tear in ACL but since the leg is functional I don't need this surgery. My brother who played football went through a complete ACL tear so I know that its the worst injury to knee.

For now ACL augmentation is not my concern, but doctor said that meniscus tear needs to be surgically taken care of else its going to spoil my knee.

Last edited by fine69 : 29th March 2015 at 19:53.
Old 29th March 2015, 21:45   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
So here's a very popular book on Strength Training : Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe.

It focuses on using the barbell for strength training for the squat, the press and the deadlift. Unfortunately, the paperback edition is not available in India, would've purchased it otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This thread has gone very silent... so let plug some more bodyweight stuff.

Saw this on my FB feed today: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...eight-workout/

PS: He spoils the message by inserting a video blurb at the beginning showing the exact opposite stuff.
Convict Conditioning: http://www.amazon.in/Convict-Conditi...dp/B004XIZN5M/

Comes well recommended by a couple of friends. One of them has become really lean and fit - all muscular like many folks i've seen abroad!

It fits in with many of the stuff that Samurai has written about in the past as well on body weight.
Comments / thoughts, gents?
Old 29th March 2015, 22:38   #3852
BHPian

Bumped into this thread and am glad I did. I was regular at my gym for more than a year, gained 16 Kgs of muscle mass. One fine day I tore my shoulder ligament after a shoulder dislocation incident. It's been three years now, the pain is still there. I have not been able to hit the gym since then. Any one who could help me get back to the gym please :(.
Old 29th March 2015, 23:49   #3853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It fits in with many of the stuff that Samurai has written about in the past as well on body weight.
Comments / thoughts, gents?
I have been writing about it since 10 years and I am still around recommending it. That gotta mean something.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...html#post74093 (Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements)
Old 30th March 2015, 12:59   #3854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Bumped into this thread and am glad I did. I was regular at my gym for more than a year, gained 16 Kgs of muscle mass. One fine day I tore my shoulder ligament after a shoulder dislocation incident. It's been three years now, the pain is still there. I have not been able to hit the gym since then. Any one who could help me get back to the gym please :(.
Patience, self-physio, patience, self-physio, repeat.....until pain goes away completely.

My brother has suffered from a complete ACL tear and complete rotator cuff tear and hats off to him for taking years doing physio and recovering completely.

I have had my share of injuries - fluid in ankle, multiple fiber tear in shoulder (still pains), calf tear and latest is meniscus tear in both knees. All I can suggest is get an MRI done to pin-point the issue and listen to your doctor.

Do get a second opinion if in doubt but be patient and work towards strengthening your weak areas, gradually though.
Old 30th March 2015, 13:13   #3855
Senior - BHPian

I was thumbing through Eugene Sandow stuff (attached), and came across the interesting concept about extremely light dumbells (page 128 onwards) to improve general conditioning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sandow_physical_training.pdf (4.08 MB, 9691 views)

Most Viewed