Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 10:05   #4591
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you condition your body for playing badminton? If you jump into a new sports, your muscles are not conditioned for it. You need to strengthen the muscles required, separately from the playing time.
How do we go about it? Please do provide some insight as apart from food timings, this is precisely what I think I should focus at.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:55   #4592
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How do we go about it? Please do provide some insight as apart from food timings, this is precisely what I think I should focus at.
This is not a sports I play, but the conditioning requirements can be easily googled.
Old 7th February 2018, 17:10   #4593
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Hello everyone,
Im a skinny guy for past 22 years and yesterday i have joined gym to gain weight. Im 22 years old, height-5.11 and weight- 60 kg. Is there any suggestions or pointers to help me?
Old 7th February 2018, 18:05   #4594
BHPian

For anyone interested in bulking and losing fat, I've got a good recommendation: Check out "Jeremy Ethier" on youtube, he has given advice for skinny fat guys to put on muscle...
Old 22nd February 2018, 17:54   #4595
BHPian

Can anyone point me towards books centering loosely around weight training/body building/fitness. Kind of Squat Every Day (especially its last chapter) by Matt Perryman. Focus not much on the routines but is sort of experiential.

Meanwhile, started Squat Every Day. More than one month into it. Each day is a new revelation. At 45+ this schedule is giving a new feeling of accomplishment.

Have squatted 1.5x body weight so far. Intend to take it till 2x. Fingers crossed.

Also intend to write a regular blog on it. Sort of online diary. For myself on my own website.
Piyadassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:05   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
Hello everyone,
Im a skinny guy for past 22 years and yesterday i have joined gym to gain weight. Im 22 years old, height-5.11 and weight- 60 kg. Is there any suggestions or pointers to help me?
Ice cream and banana shakes. Since, you are new to the gym I would suggest looking up the Stronglift 5x5 program. You will gain some muscle weight and a lot of strength, if you can succesfully complete 2-3 months off it.

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

All the best,
Promit
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:12   #4597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
Hello everyone,
1. Focus on compound exercises, like deadlifts, squats, bench press etc.
2. Lift heavy. Ofcourse increase gradually.
3. You MUST have some meal every 3 hours, containing carbs and protein.
Old 8th March 2018, 19:54   #4598
Senior - BHPian

Another myth busted:

Omega 3s arent so great after all
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:16   #4599
BHPian

Hi, this question is specifically to those of you who live in Delhi - I am looking to get a basic (but good quality) dumbbell set (20kgs total). Almost all the ones available on Amazon are the PVC or rubber type. Decathalon has a decent set but the prices quoted (Rs3999 plus delivery) are a bit much.

Could someone recommend somewhere in Delhi where I can purchase good quality iron dumbbells? I am looking for the ones that come with the rod, weights and nuts so that you can adjust the weight as per your needs (and abilities!). Approximately what price do you think I should be paying?

Just to clarify, I am a novice and am only looking at basic strengthening exercises, not bulking up or anything
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:23   #4600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Almost all the ones available on Amazon are the PVC or rubber type.

They are not rubber/PVC dumbbells. They are iron dumbbells covered with rubber/PVC coating so that you don't scratch/damage the tiles when you place them on the floor. I prefer them over plain iron dumbbells for home use, since home floor does't have rubber layer.
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:35   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

They are not rubber/PVC dumbbells. They are iron dumbbells covered with rubber/PVC coating so that you don't scratch/damage the tiles when you place them on the floor. I prefer them over plain iron dumbbells for home use, since home floor does't have rubber layer.
@Samurai, Thank you for answering. I was just going by the reviews on some of them, which seemed to indicate that some of them were PVC shells filled with some material (sand?).
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:41   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
@Samurai, Thank you for answering. I was just going by the reviews on some of them, which seemed to indicate that some of them were PVC shells filled with some material (sand?).
What part of Delhi are you in? Just walk into your local sports shop and get them.

Or look on OLX. A lot of gym equipment is generally being sold there by people who figured that new years resolutions dont really hold
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:46   #4603
BHPian

@akshaymahajan, I live in Vasant Kunj, I think the closest big sports shop is Lodhi sports in Ghitorini.

I am sure OLX will yield some good deals but I would prefer to buy new. I am hoping that I will be able to get the set for around 2 grand. Is that realistic?
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:07   #4604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That could be true with low weight PVC dumbell below 3Kg. But at higher weights, it will be iron covered with rubber coating.
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:47   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Could someone recommend somewhere in Delhi where I can purchase good quality iron dumbbells? I am looking for the ones that come with the rod, weights and nuts so that you can adjust the weight as per your needs (and abilities!). Approximately what price do you think I should be paying?
Karol Bagh. Ghulati Sports. There are two stores by the same name. Both stock the all types of weights including iron and rubber covered iron plates. I think it's 90 per kg. You can call and ask them. Take the number from Google.

Yes, buy in a combinations of different weights. And do remember that the cheaper ones will not weigh the number it represents.

Let me share a reference pic. All bought from there. The one in the extreme left is pure rubber. And the one on the far right is iron covered by a rubber sheath. Some old ones are in pounds but I think they have all shifted to kgs.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-squateverydayweek2b.jpg

Last edited by Piyadassi : 2nd April 2018 at 17:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks