Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2021, 19:43   #4726
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Then slowly started fiddling around with 2kg dumbbells. That really gave me a high and i started using dumbbell workout at home app by leapfitness....

... Ok, now coming to my query, are protein shakes really important?

Along with breakfast i usually have plantain banana, almonds/walnuts and a cube of gouda cheese.
If you got the 'high', I would suggest to start proper weight training. Long term, consistent health management needs muscle development. As you know the 'high', you can do it.
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with protein shakes (doctor advise them post-pregnancy and old people all the time), with your current load, it may not be required. If you are someone who is pushing hard in the gym and aren't 'recovering', that's usually the cue for protein supplements.
In general, food supplements like protein, multivitamins are fine to consume. Anabolic steroids is something one should avoid.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:20   #4727
BHPian

I had a few suggestions regarding the overall topics of discussions.

1) Interested in Whey Protein, try myprotein dot in. I buy the unflavoured Whey Isolate. They are a bit on the expensive side( they have a standard 22% discount going on and have 30% discounts on many special days), but they are the few one's who sell a 2.5 kg pack in a pouch, rather than the big tubs, which is a waste of plastic if you already have one. Other source that I use is davisco dot in or nutrition planet.
Very few places have unflavoured concentrate or isolate in larger packs and these 3 fit my bill. Muscleblaze's product seemed funky to me. Davisco dot in also sells 20 kg unflavoured concentrate or isolate gunny bags, so if anyone from Mumbai is thinking of sharing between 4-5 people, I am game.

2) Online workouts: I have been following Sydney Cummings on youtube and she is fabulous with an overall approach. I have been following her since May 2020 and the results are visible. She posts a daily workout Monday to Saturday, followed by a stretch video on Sunday. She follows a routine throughout the month and the workouts are schematically programmed. Although it may seem that she is 'women focussed' she has done wonders for me and my wife.

3) Weights: Try olx for weights and dumbbells, etc. New ones are at 100 Rs/ kgs and onwards and I have racked up quite a collection at home. Much cheaper than what shops sell at ( I think around 150-200 /kg). I use the removable type plates, even for dumbbells as it works out economical than a hexa dumbbell and you can load the same plates on a barbell.
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:03   #4728

Due to covid, the gym I used to go to had closed down last year. I pieced together my own home gym after contacting a lot of different suppliers. If anyone is interested I can post a write up detailing options for different budgets and my own set up.

Note from Support: Adding the link to the home gym setup here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-gym-home.html (My Home Gym: A guide for anyone wanting to set up a gym at home!)

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2021 at 14:14. Reason: Added the link
Ag6502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:41   #4729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag6502 View Post
Due to covid, the gym I used to go to had closed down last year. I pieced together my own home gym after contacting a lot of different suppliers. If anyone is interested I can post a write up detailing options for different budgets and my own set up.
Thanks Ag6502, please do post the options and your own set up. I am sure it will be interesting information for many of us.

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:04   #4730
AZT
BHPian

Former Mr. India and international body builder Jagdish Lad passes away due to Covid. He was only 34. I’m guessing anabolic intake may have contributed to this but it’s equally probable this is how deadly the virus is.
R.I.P.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-4f626099f84d4aec9d48d333e5a9ca64.jpeg
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:58   #4731
snr
BHPian

Thanks to the pandemic, I have finally managed to restart my workout at home. I'm in the process of adding weights to my collection. I focus on Yoga and a little bit of calisthenics into my routine. I've also given up on meat and dairy and I'm noticing a huge difference already. I take B12, Omega-3, Vit D supplements.
Old 25th May 2021, 10:09   #4732
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to buy some dumbells. I don't want the traditional metal stuff. Soft variety which i can drop to the floor without damaging anything.

I need 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 to begin and then will graduate to 12.5 and 15 once my body re-adapts to weight training.

I have trained for over a decade (almost body building) so i know what to do. Now which ones do i get and from where? I see many on Amazon. Decathlon doesn't seem to sell any that fit my criteria or am i not looking hard enough?

Last edited by Red Liner : 25th May 2021 at 10:12.
Old 25th May 2021, 13:48   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Now which ones do i get and from where? I see many on Amazon. Decathlon doesn't seem to sell any that fit my criteria or am i not looking hard enough?
Cult fit has started selling equipment. They look good in photos and are on the pricier side. Do take a look.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 13:57   #4734
BHPian

Quote:
Decathlon doesn't seem to sell any that fit my criteria or am i not looking hard enough?
I remember seeing your required range at nearby Decathlon store but I cannot find those options on their website. Try visiting their store once Covid allows it.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 13:58   #4735
BHPian

Quote:
I need to buy some dumbells. I don't want the traditional metal stuff. Soft variety which i can drop to the floor without damaging anything.

I need 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 to begin and then will graduate to 12.5 and 15 once my body re-adapts to weight training.

I have trained for over a decade (almost body building) so i know what to do. Now which ones do i get and from where? I see many on Amazon. Decathlon doesn't seem to sell any that fit my criteria or am i not looking hard enough?
Get weights from offline sports shops as online prices are very high due to excess shipping cost. You will need a hard rubber mat covering for floor if you want to have the ability to drop weights.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:41   #4736
Distinguished - BHPian

Any folks here into resistance band training? Man it’s like I have discovered a whole new world out there! I don’t think I will ever go back to weights!

Would be nice to exchange notes with folks who have had some experience and seen results with resistance bands. I have…it is phenomenal! I have all the bands from Decathlon now barring their heaviest, I think its 65kgs or something. Will probably need that once I get going with my pull ups again.

The best part is I can carry all of them when I travel. I love it!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:19   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Started using this app for the past few weeks. The data they show is pretty funny to me. They show how much i have lifted in tons

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...umbbells&hl=en
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:24   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

My son (age 16, weight 40 kg) has been suggested to take Whey Protein twice a day along with the properly planned diet. This is for him to gain weight and maintain health.

My dilemma:

All whey protein powders claim to have a certain % of protein. But how shall we know whether these really contain this much protein or not?

Which makes are trustable regarding the protein content?
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:31   #4739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi everyone,

My son (age 16, weight 40 kg) has been suggested to take Whey Protein twice a day along with the properly planned diet. This is for him to gain weight and maintain health.

My dilemma:

All whey protein powders claim to have a certain % of protein. But how shall we know whether these really contain this much protein or not?

Which makes are trustable regarding the protein content?
None of them can be trusted, sadly. They are nothing but highly processed crap to feed a huge trillion dollar industry of bro science.

Please have him eat hemp seed powder protein with a smoothie and sugar to taste. Available here. 100% natural. He can have two scoops a day at different points in time.

https://www.indiahemporganics.com/pr...RoCgggQAvD_BwE

He must start working out, body weight only. Max out the pushups, pull-ups, squats every other day. One day break in between. Just eating protein is no point. He has to go at it 100 pushups every work out session with breaks. That should be his target. Let him start slowly.

I repeat, no gym, no weights. Get a pull. Up bar from Decathlon and install it at home. Join him if you can. Motivation helps. Lots of unprocessed carbs. 6 eggs with the yolk a day at the bare minimum. Graaja should weigh in on the daily nutritional aspect.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd June 2021 at 21:35.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:44   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi everyone,

My son (age 16, weight 40 kg) has been suggested to take Whey Protein twice a day along with the properly planned diet. This is for him to gain weight and maintain
A lot of whey protein powders available in the market are sadly fakes. The ones which are original also contain a lot of synthetic additives which will wreck havoc long term on the body. Kidney and liver damage is the long term effects of having these concoctions.

I would suggest your son to have a protein rich diet from veg and non veg sources. Red meat, fish and eggs are much safer and effective.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks