Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 12:56   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
One thing I've noticed becoming increasingly common is the use of anabolic steroids, particularly among teenagers.

Why has there been a sudden spike in steroid usage in India?
IF a person is earning money using the means, then it is ultimately his lifestyle choice. Who are we to judge?

Otherwise, for vanity purposes, risking long term health is quite an adolescent trait, with equal effect in both the genders.
The least I can say is that these guys know the reality behind the glamourous physiques and instead of wasting money on supplements and programs and celebrity endorsements (and end up with no significant results), they know what works. (And perhaps even make us of it to make money)

Quote:
Do you think that the government should impose strict rules on gyms and provide guidelines on the amount of steroids that can be sold to a person and how much they can inject?
I never realized that anabolic steroids were supposed to be available over the counter (?)

What can govt do when pharmacists don't follow the regulations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Since this one is about Whey protein Powders. It might be helpful to some here. There are around 30 tweets in the thread.

Have a look at this twitter thread. It shows the lab results of protein powders sold in India. Contents, heavy metals and amount of protein percent available in them.

Here is Attachment 2424499 of these same tweets, in case tweets are inaccessible.
This is SOLID. I have always been questioning people (even on this thread) about two things related to proteins without getting any satisfactory answer:

1) Can you respond with conviction, Ceteris paribus, that the XYZ amount of extra protein you are taking is really helping you with anything at all?

2) How much of protein do you think your favorite box of whey/soy/pea/casein/... really contains? Have you ever done a check?

Second question has been answered. Now lets see people using self-experimental approach to answer the first question too.
Old 6th March 2023, 13:13   #4772
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
IF a person is earning money using the means, then it is ultimately his lifestyle choice. Who are we to judge?
You are right, it's not just about the people who know how to use steroids; it's also about those who are not aware of the long-term side effects. There should be guidelines on the amount of steroids that can be sold to a person to prevent deaths and organ failures that have occurred recently in gyms. I did not say that steroids should be banned, but there should be limitations due to the abuse of steroids. If the abuse continues, a complete ban may occur, which would affect those who use them for genuine purposes such as bodybuilding competitions and modeling. It is also important to restrict the selling of steroids to underage boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I never realized that anabolic steroids were supposed to be available over the counter (?)

What can govt do when pharmacists don't follow the regulations?
Steroids are being sold in the majority of the gyms in the nearby areas. All you have to do is reach out to any trainer in the gym, ask him about it, pay him, and he will provide you with the entire cycle along with medications. However, there are certain tests that should be taken before taking steroids, such as DHT and GFR, which many people don't do.

While you may agree that people can use steroids, there should be guidelines in place, especially since they are new to our country and readily available for everyone.
Old 7th March 2023, 05:55   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I feel thirsty and having dry mouth when I drink whey protein shake (Optimum Nutritiion protein) in the night.

Anyone had similar experiences? Any recommendations?
Have similar experiences with other brands. Why not just take it earlier in the day?
Old 7th March 2023, 10:55   #4774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Have similar experiences with other brands. Why not just take it earlier in the day?
Yes, that is what I am doing now. Have it earlier in the day so that my sleep is not affected. Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th March 2023 at 10:56.
Old 13th March 2023, 12:13   #4775
BHPian

Have tried multiple plant proteins and always had upset tummy. Something in the pea concentration is causing issues. Have bought new product based on the tests published above for various proteins and need to see if it continues.

OT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...tivated-dairy/

Future will be food that's flora based, fermentation, algae, fungi etc replacing meat and dairy. This company has a big plant in Jigani near Bengaluru.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:08   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used/heard about this brand called Musclegrade and/or used this product. It’s an Indian company and boasts of zero cholesterol and zero sugar. Most others or almost all have some percentage of one or the other or both.

Thank you.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-8c92f3ff7a0d456f8ed40253ea720053.jpeg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-670e2b1333ee4d97adf1f7261c7bdf56.jpeg

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 08:47   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Have tried multiple plant proteins and always had upset tummy. Something in the pea concentration is causing issues. Have bought new product based on the tests published above for various proteins and need to see if it continues.
Any feedback of any new products you have tried?
Old 19th June 2023, 12:37   #4778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Any feedback of any new products you have tried?
I have been using Origin plant protein. Have completed 2 months and it hasn't caused any issue with stomach. So I think this is working for me I take the non-flavoured one and add dates/almond/banana and blend it.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:42   #4779
Senior - BHPian

I have started taking a plant based protein powder (Cosmix unflavored) though in small quantities I have noticed a increase in body temperature post taking the product. Is this normal? Currently just experimenting with same and the quantity consumed is very small eg less than half teaspoon.
Old 4th August 2023, 10:26   #4780
Senior - BHPian

My current workout routine:

3 days alternate: Full body dumbbell based exercises. Stretches and Cardio warm ups as well. Total weight lifted 35Tons

2 days alternate: 1hr 6km walk followed by 20min yoga

2 days rest.

Night sleep is 6.5hrs with a 15min powernap in the afternoon.

I am 43 and 65KGs standing 6ft tall.

Now on the weight days, i consume protein shake during the workout and post workout it's rolled oats in milk topped with home made granola, boiled egg and a 20g protein bar (whole truth).

I was given a box of protein powder by a relative and i believe it was the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's getting over now, and need to get a new box. Is this a good brand to buy? And do i get the standard one or the isolate?

Looking to buy it from here:
https://www.optimumnutrition.co.in/

Last edited by deathwalkr : 4th August 2023 at 10:27.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 11:05   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I was given a box of protein powder by a relative and i believe it was the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's getting over now, and need to get a new box. Is this a good brand to buy? And do i get the standard one or the isolate?

Looking to buy it from here:
https://www.optimumnutrition.co.in/
I think ON is a pretty good brand. I've been using their Standard Whey for over 2 years with zero issues. I find Double Chocolate to be quite delicious.

I think it's perfectly fine to get the Standard one as the Isolate is significantly more expensive for not that much more benefit. Since this is supposed to be only one of the various other sources of protein in a diet, I felt it's perfectly okay to go with the standard. Here's a pretty decent explanation on this (in Hindi)

ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 12:14   #4782

I am 52. Height 5.6. Weight 71 kg. Decent physique. Good health. Except for extremely low dose of BP medicine (Telmisartan 20mg - doctor reduced it from 40 last year) all health parameters under control.

Have long but irregular weight training experience. Also possess decent theoretical knowledge of the field. But that's all haphazard.

Now I want to dedicate next few months (it could turn into a lifelong pursuit) into methodical study of the field, right from the beginner to advance levels.

Can anyone suggest books, websites (I personally found exrx.net the best), YouTube Channels that's authentic and can advance my knowledge?
Old 16th August 2023, 13:42   #4783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

I am 43 and 65KGs standing 6ft tall.
Don't you think you are way too underweight? at least by 10 KG to be normal and with your kind of exercise you should be in the 85 KG range with a 15-16% of body fat.

Pramod
Old 16th August 2023, 14:36   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AheadAJ View Post
Can anyone suggest books, websites (I personally found exrx.net the best), YouTube Channels that's authentic and can advance my knowledge?
These are some of the YT channels that I have found quite useful:

1. Jeff Nippard
2. MiamiMuscleUSA
3. Barbell Logic
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 17:12   #4785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Don't you think you are way too underweight? at least by 10 KG to be normal and with your kind of exercise you should be in the 85 KG range with a 15-16% of body fat.

Pramod
Always been a skinny lad. Was 50kgs in my college days

Genetics I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks