Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2023, 10:12   #4786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Always been a skinny lad. Was 50kgs in my college days

Genetics I guess.
I was around your weight in college, then started body building gained around 10 KG. I am 6 ft, was at 100kg with 15% body fat then a diet went terribly wrong and now i am Diabetic since 2016, Lost all the gains and now i am at 86 with around 20% fat around the belly

Planning to start again, waiting for the push

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 10:19   #4787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I was around your weight in college, then started body building gained around 10 KG. I am 6 ft, was at 100kg with 15% body fat then a diet went terribly wrong and now i am Diabetic since 2016, Lost all the gains and now i am at 86 with around 20% fat around the belly

Planning to start again, waiting for the push

Pramod
For what it's worth, here's a big push

Never imagined to take up weight training and to increase body mass back in the day. As with many things in life, I wish I had

Now I'm just working out for fitness sakes and won't be lying if I say it feels good after weight training.
Old 17th August 2023, 13:51   #4788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
For what it's worth, here's a big push
Thanks for the push, i am just worried about the initial soreness that is expected in the first week, the thought of stiff muscles has put me off, I will start again definitely, a lot of options are available nearby.

Pramod
Old 23rd August 2023, 14:45   #4789
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone tried the Jackie Chan Challenge?

Old 31st August 2023, 12:00   #4790
BHPian

My physical trainer recommended this protein supplement called Dynamik Muscle Prey (King Kai series). He's also able to get that delivered to me.

Has anyone here used it? Is it ok for muscle recovery post-workout (that's the only time I have it)?

For my normal dose of protein, I stick to soymilk and eggs and lentils. I'm just searching for the right post-workout supplement.

Last edited by Small Bot : 31st August 2023 at 12:03.
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 12:14   #4791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
My physical trainer recommended this protein supplement called Dynamik Muscle Prey (King Kai series). He's also able to get that delivered to me.

Has anyone here used it? Is it ok for muscle recovery post-workout (that's the only time I have it)?

For my normal dose of protein, I stick to soymilk and eggs and lentils. I'm just searching for the right post-workout supplement.
Yes, whey is great for muscle recovery post workout but please procure a well known brand from direct sources like their company website.
For eg - GNC, MyProtein, etc.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 12:18   #4792

Quote:
My physical trainer recommended this protein supplement called Dynamik Muscle Prey (King Kai series).
If looking for best whey look no further than isolates. The product's label shows it a mix of concentrates and isolates.

Secondly and most importantly, ask yourself do you actually need a protein supplement? The answer would depend on your current fitness level, current fitness regimen, your goal and your total protein requirement (times your lean body mass).

Since I can see you are consuming eggs, why haven't you included poultry, fish and meat in your diet?
AheadAJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 14:02   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Yes, whey is great for muscle recovery post workout but please procure a well known brand from direct sources like their company website.
For eg - GNC, MyProtein, etc.
Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AheadAJ View Post
If looking for best whey look no further than isolates...

Since I can see you are consuming eggs, why haven't you included poultry, fish and meat in your diet?
Thanks for the advice. I'll read up on and check for whey isolates.

I've been advised by my doctor to increase my protein intake, but also not to overdo it and hurt other organs.

I do consume channa, boiled eggs, soya chunks, soymilk, lentils and millets. Poultry and fish are generally reserved for Sunday lunches. I don't eat other meat like mutton, beef or pork any more. No processed meat as well (like sausages, salami, bacon etc).

I work out four or five times a week (for an hour each time). This happens with a physical trainer who joins on video call and guides me. They mostly are done in my hall, on a yoga mat, and sometimes involve some basic dumbbells and a dead bounce ball.

I get unusually tired after workouts and the muscle aches stay on for more than a day after the workout (mainly in my limbs). Which is why I was looking for post-workout protein supplements. Since I get plant protein from food, I was looking to buy whey protein.

Last edited by Small Bot : 31st August 2023 at 14:04.
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 14:17   #4794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I work out four or five times a week (for an hour each time). This happens with a physical trainer who joins on video call and guides me. They mostly are done in my hall, on a yoga mat, and sometimes involve some basic dumbbells and a dead bounce ball.

I get unusually tired after workouts and the muscle aches stay on for more than a day after the workout (mainly in my limbs). Which is why I was looking for post-workout protein supplements. Since I get plant protein from food, I was looking to buy whey protein.
Protein intake from food is the way our body has been designed to absorb protein.

Tired after a workout is more likely because you are deficient in essential salts like magnesium etc. read read read before you decide what to consume for this.

Muscle aches means you have torn your fibre and they are rebuilding. This means you do not work out that muscle group until the pain is 95% gone. Rest is far more important to muscle growth.

And work on your sleep. Get yourself 10 hours. That’s when your body fixes itself.

The only thing I recommend is creatine mono hydrate. Again read about it.

Lastly focus on strength not body beauty.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st August 2023 at 14:21.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 17:26   #4795

Quote:
Tiredness could be due to lack of rest or diet or intensity or if you are a newbie to exercise.

Difficult to say anything with the present information. Would suggest you to consult an orthopaedist (someone who has some understanding of sports science - a difficult proposition ), a dietician and, if the doc advises, a physiotherapist.

But protein supplement is definitely not the solution. Normal protein rich diet should be enough (though it's a wild shot, but max you would need at the present level of effort is 1x grams your bodyweight in pounds). But let dietician take the final call.

Best wishes.

PS: I have some idea of PTs and, as far as my experience goes, majority of them peddle bro-science laced with pitter-patter terminologies to impress clients.
AheadAJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 12:28   #4796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
And yes, ease of travel (along with its a skipping rope) is a huge plus. I can’t count how many workouts I’ve done over the years out of a hotel room while traveling with just a skipping rope and resistance bands.
Hi Axe77, I know this was a very old post but would you know which make and model was this skipping rope or the current one if you are using one? I am mostly planning to buy the skipping rope online or from a decathlon store. Any recommendations for the same from other fellow members?
Old 30th November 2023, 12:55   #4797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Hi Axe77, I know this was a very old post but would you know which make and model was this skipping rope or the current one if you are using one? I am mostly planning to buy the skipping rope online or from a decathlon store. Any recommendations for the same from other fellow members?
Hi there. Sure thing. My go to jumprope is the one in the image below - from a brand called Airavat. The current set of bands are also from the same brand. Both can be purchased from Total Sports at Dadar TT. You can call them, pay online and have it home delivered I believe.

If you really want to get into serious expensive ropes (where they throw in weight as an additional factor - going both ways - super light and super heavy), this brand (RX Smart Gear / RX Jump ropes) comes highly recommended but they're expensive and available in the US. I've always wanted to order one / couple of these online but have never managed to bother anyone to get them for me yet. But honestly, the one that I'm using in the pic also works just fine. I usually have a couple of them and they're easy to cut and adjust to suit each person's height as well.

https://www.rxsmartgear.com/jump-ropes/

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-jumprope-bands.jpg

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-brand-airavat.jpg
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 13:05   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Protein supplement:

Was using Optimum Nutrition for a while. Saw that Whole Truth had come out with protein powder. Decided to give it a go since i already use their protein bars.

Initial feedback is good. I don't feel bloated like i sometimes feel after drinking optimum nutrition's powder mix.

Nowadays, wife wants me to buy mass gain powder and i am delaying it. At 180cm and 64kgs. And the wrong side of 40.

35 tons a week (3 alternate days), 2 days of 1hr brisk walk followed by 20min yoga. Saturday is off and Sunday mornings are invested in gardening around the house.

Weight workout days, i consume 20gm scoop of protein powder in milk, 20gm protein bar, 1 boiled egg, rolled oats in milk topped by home made granola.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 10:18   #4799

This is my second innings at TBHP. Earlier under a different guise I used to zealously follow this thread, and one person's post that made me look at Protein in a new light was Alpha1.

Here is one study on "Do we really need protein," in a BBC documentary. The anchor's conclusion is 1) Taking protein has become a fad, and 2) We have substituted supplement for proper meals.

Please have look at this documentary, in which the lead protagonist having showed that he had gained 1kg muscle after relinquishing the protein supplement goes back to it after some time.

Old 15th December 2023, 13:04   #4800
BHPian

There's a reason why its called supplement.

People shouldn't think its a magic pill to produce muscles. I still see & hear about people taking a scoop of whey immediately after a workout & not on days that they don't workout.

One requires x amount of proteins, carbs & fat as per body weight. Add or reduce if you're looking to be in a deficit or want to gain. If you can eat & get these from meals thats great else you take a supplement like whey which gives you x no of protein for example.

This daily requirement does not change on days you run or workout. As I'm getting older (52 now, work out 4-5 times a week) I find it more convenient to drink whey towards reaching my daily protein goal. I take 1 scoop in the morning & 1 in the evening (as a meal replacement as I don't eat lunch).
deep_blue is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks