Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 12:42   #4486
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
Not everyone has huge biceps but they can still lift weights. Personally, i have puny arms, thanks to my ancestors, but i used to dead lift close to 2.5 times my body weight. I would suggest that you further analyze your workouts and try to find out where you are going wrong. For example, it might be as simple as a wrong grip.
When you say 2.5x your body weight, could you share your weight and the weight pulled?

I have reached about 2x with my deads around 405 lbs, but difficult to progress from here on.
Old 4th January 2017, 14:34   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
When you say 2.5x your body weight, could you share your weight and the weight pulled?
I lifted 210 kgs but that was 10 years back and when i actively pursued power lifting. The practice sessions were intense and quite different from usual fitness routines. I might not be able to achieve it in the future. But i mentioned it as an example/motivation.

Quote:
I have reached about 2x with my deads around 405 lbs, but difficult to progress from here on.
It could be that you might have reached your max potential and it might be difficult to progress rapidly. The key would be to sustain it and try to increase the weights gradually. Progressive loading is the right way to go.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2017 at 10:17.
Old 4th January 2017, 14:39   #4488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My primary goal is what you have specified (in bold). For reference purpose you can take example of the physique that Fawad Khan/Siddharth Malhotra type of actors have

Though I can lift weights for other exercises, I have a tough time for bicep related exercises, especially EZ-bar preacher curl.
If its not form then is it weak muscle? How about connective tissue?

Are you aware why most of the actors continue to get hurt (shoulder, knees etc.) even when they have one of THE most balanced muscle mass?

These quick 3-6 month transformation windows aren't adequate for connective tissue strengthening. Tendons take a very long time to strengthen, ligaments even more.

But then, why are you even curling? Why not do some chin-ups instead?

If its your first year of bodybuilding, please stick to compounds and focus on gaining strength. Strength cannot be gained without gaining muscle so that's there but it will help you in strengthening your connective tissues too which is much more important in the long run.

Alternatively, you could continue with preacher curl, upright row, dumbbell fly, leg extension and its likes and either build a drool worthy body or end up with poor results/injuries.

Sidharth Malhotra used to train in the Defence Colony gym besides our house before he bagged Student of the year. Without getting into too many details, let me just say that his was a typical 8-12 reps, each body part twice a week routine and he was much much less frequent at the gym compared to a Sardarji who would squat 2x their bodyweight like it was a cakewalk, was much more regular but looked nowhere close to Sidharth when it came to aesthetics.

Each body is different and reacts to a certain training & food differently. Don't get sucked into this 'I want to look like Mr. X' theory.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:00   #4489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
The kind of results he's achieved cannot be gained by using only steroids, ...

Nothing beats Diet, period!

... for instance a scoop isolate whey protein consumed within an hour after the workout directly hits the blood stream and helps repair the damaged muscle tissue/fiber almost immediately unlike protein sources like chicken and egg, which gets consumed and digested etc.

What I am trying to say is, all of us can achieve what Amir has if not even better physiques WITHOUT steroids, maybe not in five months but depending on the consistency of your wight training, cardio and most importantly your diet, it can be achieved, I can confidently say this.
Chetan, like most people, you are missing the cause and effect relationship. Lets see what all are possible suspects that lead a man to look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar was in his prime?
a) Diet
b) Training
c) Supplements
d) Genetics
e) Steroids
f) ... anything you would like to add?

Now hear me out first, how many people you know who have revolutionalized their diets but still look almost the same version of themselves (ofcourse with lesser fat). What about training? Supplements?

The reason why 'pussies' like me talk about genetics and steroids is because it works everytime with everyone. Even women. A rare woman with broad shoulder and narrow hips will look much more "masculine" and "athletic" than a man with narrow shoulder and wide hips (check out olympics). A woman injecting roids will look more muscular than you or me (check out any fitness/figure/bodybuilding competition/instagram/facebook).

Pardon me, but your statement about Amir's physique highlights the simple fairy tale world about training/diet/physique that people live in.

Quote:
But I strongly believe one can achieve the same results over time but definitely not in five months provided the diet is spot on and the consistency of weight training is on track. I think us public should not pay importance to Aamir's physique. Instead of speculating, we might as well put in the hard work and attain our desired result.
Cause and effect.
Hard work results in a person gaining 2 kg of muscles over 10 years.
Steroids results in a person gaining 20 kg of muscles over 10 months.

Let's see why:
Quote:
The body digests at it's own pace,
As rightly stated by Madheer, the body digest at it's own pace. In fact body creates demand also at it's own pace - and that's why I really do not buy into the strict linear progression concepts.

Steroids help in creating an environment inside the body that makes it want to grow.

Quote:
I don't know much about the technicalities of the supplements, but I have seen guys who were waffer thin and then developed a good physique after consuming few kgs of whey protein over a period of 6-7 months.
So why don't all the gym goers who take Whey sport a revolutionized physique?

###

Also let us talk about this recurring theme in this thread: why do you think steroids are bad, dangerous etc.
Please remember that like all medicines and drugs, steroids have a purpose as well as side effects. And if administered under supervision of physician can bring desired results. Let is stop painting them black with just a broad stroke.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th January 2017 at 14:03.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:54   #4490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Also let us talk about this recurring theme in this thread: why do you think steroids are bad, dangerous etc.
Well my body produces them everyday so they definitely aren't bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroid

This article covers enough for a regular Joe on why to stay away from chemically synthesized anabolic steroids.

Anabolic steroids indeed have medicinal application but so do many other things which are usually banned (Ms. Mary J) as a norm, but prescribed as an exception.

A regular Gym Joe usually doesn't have the money/resources or the time to use AAS to their advantage without creating an irreversible side effect. Most of the mainstream actors have these resources available which is why we don't see gynecomastia or an enlarged gut (due to GH) on them, or at least haven't yet.

So when it comes to bodybuilding, feel free to use AAS under strict supervision (like our beloved Mr. Khan did) and you may come out looking like the next supermodel but be warned, the possibility of side effects is there like any other medicine so unless you live off your body its just not worth the risk.
Old 5th January 2017, 15:21   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Most people take whey to compensate for the protein deficiency they face in regular meals especially if someone is not eggeterian/non-vegeterian.
Quote:
1. What are the symptoms of protein deficiency?
Now the question is that does it make difference to your performance?
Everyone need to test, verify, observe the effects on himself.
I used to be pure vegetarian and had hardly any impact for a long time without eggs and protein. Last 1 year I started eggs and protein powder, and there has been an unbelievable transformation. I have lost fat and gained muscle. In terms of numbers, I have lost 15kg weight, 4+ inches on the waist, etc. Body has changed from a “fat, podgy boy” to a “well-toned boy”.

Please note this was done with proper exercise 5-6 times a week but without focusing much on diet. Weekends have been what they always have been with the alcohol (mods: please delete if inappropriate), but fried food was largely restricted. Being a milk / paneer lover, we converted everything in the house to low/no fat. That has also been a major contributor I feel.

Quote:
Some of the posts here are saying he might have used steroids to achieve that kind of physique but none of us here have any proof, I personally would not like to speculate, moving on.
Sorry sir, but this transformation is in no way humanly possible without steroids even if you work out 12 hours a day for 6 months. At age 50+, you HAVE to inject testosterone to the muscles. I agree that he would have to work out. But in no way would that be more than some of the folks I see at my gym (I go to a filmy gym and have spoken to enough number of builders here to understand how this works).

Also, why is there a negativity around steroids? If it has been proven safe, I don’t understand the hullabaloo around a person taking steroids! Especially someone like our B-town stars would be taking consultation from the best in the world on this subject before subjecting themselves to the supplements.

Quote:
I don't know much about the technicalities of the supplements, but I have seen guys who were waffer thin and then developed a good physique after consuming few kgs of whey protein over a period of 6-7 months.

Though they also take creatine supplements as well along with whey.
You answered yourself in the next sentence

Quote:
I talked about Optimum protein as most people in my gym says it is available 100% genuine on Amazon India!
If you can, please try and source proteins from abroad. I always do that. Not only is it almost 50% cheaper, the genuinity is almost assured.

Quote:
Though I can lift weights for other exercises, I have a tough time for bicep related exercises, especially EZ-bar preacher curl.
If you are doing biceps after chest or back or shoulders, try to start with 3 light sets. I also have the same issue and my elbow joint hurts a bit. Once warmed up though, I am ready to go. Also, don’t start with preacher curl – this should be the last in your set after maybe dumbells, barbells, hammer curls.

Quote:
Cause and effect.
Hard work results in a person gaining 2 kg of muscles over 10 years.
Steroids results in a person gaining 20 kg of muscles over 10 months.

Let's see why:
Steroids help in creating an environment inside the body that makes it want to grow.

Please remember that like all medicines and drugs, steroids have a purpose as well as side effects. And if administered under supervision of physician can bring desired results. Let is stop painting them black with just a broad stroke.
Bang on brother!
Old 5th January 2017, 21:12   #4492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So why don't all the gym goers who take Whey sport a revolutionized physique?
Because consuming whey protein and going to the gym are not the sole two factors to get a better body. You still need to bring your diet under control and you still need to put in the effort in the gym, not just getting to the gym. And even after that, you need to have a workout that suits your body, that addresses your strengths and weaknesses.

But you know all that already.
Old 6th January 2017, 04:59   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Btw, he missed the phase when Aamir Khan had undergone similar transformation for Ghajini. So, it is not so much as he "built muscles" now but more like he lost the fat around it that he had rapidly put on to get to 97 kgs.
This video talks about exactly what I was trying to say
Old 6th January 2017, 11:12   #4494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Because consuming whey protein and going to the gym are not the sole two factors to get a better body. You still need to bring your diet under control and you still need to put in the effort in the gym, not just getting to the gym. And even after that, you need to have a workout that suits your body, that addresses your strengths and weaknesses.

But you know all that already.
Do you also mean that those gym instructors, who won't stop extolling the virtues of supplements, cannot come up with a diet and training program for their clients, while sporting a good physique themselves?
Old 6th January 2017, 20:06   #4495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you also mean that those gym instructors, who won't stop extolling the virtues of supplements, cannot come up with a diet and training program for their clients, while sporting a good physique themselves?
I don't see how the effectiveness of gym instructors is relevant to what I was saying about the effectiveness of whey protein. Neither can I comment on what I have not personally experienced extensively.

I don't have much experience with gym instructors. I usually have a one hour dedicated session every month or so with a trainer here at the YMCA. But in that session, we focus mostly on my form and what exercises to incorporate to continue my progress. We don't discuss diet much. A friend of mine goes to her YMCA on the west coast and there every trainer is pushing Herbalife like a peddler, probably because of their own vested interests than client's welfare.

But if you have the experience that I lack in terms of dealing with personal trainers, then of course I will not contest your opinion about the trainers.

I was merely pointing out the fallacy in your question about why not everyone who drinks whey protein has an impressive physique.

Unless you meant to point out that most gym instructors as well as their clients are fat even though they are on strict diet and a well thought out plan. Again, that is something I have no personal experience of and most likely has an answer that goes way beyond just drinking whey. After all, what you get out of your workout is what you put into it.
Old 9th January 2017, 14:22   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to Mr. Khan and his transformation, you need testosterone and at 50 to have that amount flowing free in your body you need external help.I agree.

Quote:
Chetan, like most people, you are missing the cause and effect relationship. Lets see what all are possible suspects that lead a man to look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar was in his prime?
Of course it would be safe under the supervision of a physician, I am pretty sure no physician will tell you steroids are 100% safe. Each of our bodies are unique and hence it is not the same, so while some people have some of the side effects that's mentioned on the 'Label', and some will have almost all the side effects and some will not have any side effects at all, so I would not want the 'benefits' of steroids out weighing its downsides so I would not personally risk putting my body in a steroid cycle. Steroids have caused deaths and the people who take it know the risks and it is their choice.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th January 2017 at 17:37. Reason: Please DO NOT quote lengthy posts for short replies. Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:09   #4497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Watched 2-3 videos of him. The guy is amazingly fit and is very very young. That is a problem if you are planning to learn from him. He is at an age where the body is extremely forgiving, and he has not experienced physical frailty that comes with age. He also needs extensive experience as personal trainer to understand the needs of every type of body and different age groups.
I made this comment on Fortress, couple years ago. Looks like it is dawning on him that he needs to work with real people as personal trainer, before you can play one on Youtube. Although, he gives some confused explanation on how he reached there. He is simply complicating a simple concept.

Old 1st March 2017, 16:09   #4498
BHPian

Hi guys,
Was looking to buy BSN Syntha6 / Edge Whey Protein. Am in Chennai and don't know where to look out for. One of my colleagues has warned me against the fake stuff floating around. So want to be careful.
Can anyone let me know where to buy genuine stuff in Chennai. Any trustworthy online portal also will be helpful.
Initially I was keyed in on OMG Whey Alpha. But this one retails for Rs.4000/- for 1 kg and an additional Rs.500/- as delivery charges. I find it too steep for my budget.
I found BSN Syntha6 to be around Rs.5000/- for a 2.26 kg pack.
For the record I did check with Neulife, they don't have it in stock and quoted around Rs.6200/-.
Another dealer I contacted was Core Supplements. They quoted Rs.5200/-.
Would like to know if Core Supplements is a genuine supplier?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:44   #4499
BHPian

Experts

Need some advise please.

Some background of me - age ~40, 73kg, 5'7.5".
Current exercises - 30 min 3 times per week - mostly free weights, squats with 30kg, bicep curls, tricep pull-down, step ups, etc. Not too much, since its in and out of gym in 30 min.

Have lost a lost of weight since 2013 - 82 kg to 73 now - mostly running and portion control. Now don't run, since I don't enjoy it much.

Need help for:
- lose belly fat,
- build big arms (current bicep is 14", flexed),
- build big calves.

I feel maybe I am exercising enough, but not eating well. I don't want to eat supplements etc.

cheers
lazy
Old 7th March 2017, 10:04   #4500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
I feel maybe I am exercising enough, but not eating well. I don't want to eat supplements etc.
You don't have to starve to lose weight. Read this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks