Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 21:32   #4366
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Dear All

Kindly advise.. I knocked on the doors of a gym again since my blood reports started reaching the edges of what is considered normal. Its been a couple of month and started with the usual cardio and now put on the usual scheme of training but..

* Managed to loose 3 kilos in the first month but after that, the scale seems to be stuck. I guess I am not working hard enough but following a similar scheme as from start, training every day.

* Perhaps it is too early but my endurance levels seems to be quite low. Fatigue catches up too quickly and neither have been able to increase the reps nor weight :(. Muscles just seems to give up and it is frustrating.

* I am a vegetarian (not that it has much relevance by my bad cholesterol is high and good one is lower than recommended). Cant think of eating animals yet but need to beat the fatigue! Started having Whey but perhaps it has nothing to do with fighting fatigue?

* I have tried to follow the postures as explained by the trainer but aches on some joints have appeared lately. Should I just ignore them (especially shoulder)?

In between, I am ~6 and 74kgs now. Need to prevent myself from giving up and all your thoughts appreciated..
Old 6th November 2016, 21:49   #4367
BHPian

Dear all, I had this recurring pain in my left knee and diagnosed with early osteoarthritis. My ortho doctor suggested not to do treadmill or any exercise which demands much from knees. He advised morning walk as exercise routine. But I don't have time both for morning walk and gym. Can someone suggest any other exercise for CV?
Old 6th November 2016, 23:04   #4368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Dear all, I had this recurring pain in my left knee and diagnosed with early osteoarthritis. My ortho doctor suggested not to do treadmill or any exercise which demands much from knees. He advised morning walk as exercise routine. But I don't have time both for morning walk and gym. Can someone suggest any other exercise for CV?
Start doing walking lunges instead of morning walks.

You will be surprised at the effort it takes and the results.
Old 7th November 2016, 11:02   #4369
BHPian

Hey. So let's break this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Dear All

Kindly advise.. I knocked on the doors of a gym again since my blood reports started reaching the edges of what is considered normal. Its been a couple of month and started with the usual cardio and now put on the usual scheme of training but..
Kudos. Whatever gets you moving, gets you to improve yourself, you're taking a step. Keep at it. Would you clarify our age, height, weight etc.? That will let me be more accurate.

Quote:
* Managed to loose 3 kilos in the first month but after that, the scale seems to be stuck. I guess I am not working hard enough but following a similar scheme as from start, training every day.
That's a good start. But the first couple of kilos is the easiest, and is usually a mix of water weight and glycogen.

Quote:
* Perhaps it is too early but my endurance levels seems to be quite low.
By your post it seems that you've been sedentary. You endurance will be low. Your apparent strength will be low too. And yes, it is too early.

Quote:
Fatigue catches up too quickly and neither have been able to increase the reps nor weight :(. Muscles just seems to give up and it is frustrating.
This could be more to do with your diet and other lifestyle influences. How is your sleep? Your schedule outside of the gym? What time do you go? How do you feel before entering the gym? How's the vibe in your life, how's the vibe in your gym?

Quote:
* I am a vegetarian (not that it has much relevance by my bad cholesterol is high and good one is lower than recommended). Cant think of eating animals yet but need to beat the fatigue! Started having Whey but perhaps it has nothing to do with fighting fatigue?
What you (don't) eat has everything to do with your health, bio markers (cholesterol, body fat levels etc.) and work capacity. Why are you a vegetarian? Eating flesh, any flesh, is the healthiest thing you can do for yourself. Whey will be absolutely necessary since you're a vegetarian.

Quote:
* I have tried to follow the postures as explained by the trainer but aches on some joints have appeared lately. Should I just ignore them (especially shoulder)?
Please diagnose this clearly. Are the pains the kind of pains you get when you've used your musculoskeletal system after a long, long time? Or are these pains the kind of pains which happen when something has been used incorrectly. I'm assuming the former. Anyway, cardio is an impact based activity, unless you're doing just the cross trainer, and has a far higher capacity of injuring beginners than lifting weights.

Quote:
In between, I am ~6 and 74kgs now. Need to prevent myself from giving up and all your thoughts appreciated..
Oops! Just read this. What's your age? For 6 feet, your weight is okay. Don't even bother with "weight loss". Instead you should be working to become stronger, and consequently be more lean weight. I'd suggest for you to get a good trainer and get on a progressive overload based weight lifting schedule. Not just include, but start with axial lifts like the squat, dead lift, overhead press. Also start with zero weight and make your way up from there. But make sure you get a good trainer to teach you these basic lifts.

Now. Why should you listen to me? Well that's up to you. Haha. But this is my work. I'm a human performance professional (lol whatever that is :P ). I've studied this for more than 6 years. I'm a master trainer, qualified to create and train trainers. I do love this, and I'm going to try and be active in this thread. Not because it helps you, but because it helps me become better at what I do. Selfish.

Whatever I do say here is based in science. It is statistical fact and not opinion or "experience".

Walk. Why are walks suggested by all doctors for seemingly everyone? One, because no doctor has studied, or has been trained, or has "improving fitness" as part of their curriculum. Doctors study to cure an ailment or a pathology. So, as much as we look to doctors to keep us healthy, they aren't the most qualified people do so. They are qualified to correct if something is wrong, but they're not to improve our fitness.

Two, because walks are the least common denominators as a movement for a human being. It is something that everyone can do, but our sedentary lifestyles has actually made us think that we can't.

Now, how long has this pain lasted? Is it reducing at all, or has reduced to manageable levels? Do avoid the treadmill as it is an impact based activity, and is strenuous to the patella. If you must do cardio, go for the cross trainer, again, one the pain is under the action threshold.

As for weights, and this may sound counter intuitive for a bit, but once the pain is manageable and doesn't impede any movement, lift. Osteoarthritis is the degeneration of cartilage and bone tissue. Best protocol here would be to first stop further degeneration, and then reverse it. The second step would be to strengthen other tissues around the affected structure so they provide a bette support structure, in this case, the quads, hamstrings, the gastrocnemius and to an extent the glutes for the patella. For both of these steps, the best course of action is using strength training with progressive overload which would make the body realise demands and take corrective action for the cartilage as well as strengthening nearby tissues and induce muscular hypertrophy.

So, you've *got* to increase demand from the knee joint, but very little bit at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Last edited by Samurai : 7th November 2016 at 17:46.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:22   #4370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Still in my never ending "cutting" phase. At the start of my weight loss I weighed around 84 Kgs and as of today morning my weight is 73 Kgs. I lost 11 Kgs but it took me more than 6 months to reach here so this is not that great of an achievement.

My target is to reach around 65 kgs and then start a lean bulk and maintain the weight around 72 kgs.
Mark my words. Take nude photos of yours (no flexing of any muscle) from all angles today when you are at 73 kg.

Follow you plan of "cutting till 65 kg" and then follow the ambitious plan of "lean bulking till 72 kg". Take nude photos of yours (no flexing of any muscle) from all angles when you reach 72 kg.

Compare the two sets and smack your head laughing+crying on how much time you have wasted in trying to remain the same.
Of course I am presuming that you've been lifting weights from some time now.
Quote:
Biggest hindrance in my fitness goals is that I get up every single night and eat junk food.I will eat 1600 calories during the day but then I wake up at night to eat trash like biscuits, namkeen , chips , ice cream etc.
You haven't answered amitoj.
Is your sleep improper?
Do you feel hungry while asleep?
Do you have sugar addiction? (Insulin issues)

Quote:

Losing weight is more to do with what we put in our mouths, rather than the exercise we do. (Unless you are referring to manual labor work for 4-8 hours daily). So to reduce more you will have to cut out the crap from diet (stuff like sugars, refined flour etc)

Why are you wasting your money on whey and other dung? Are you taking the juice? Do you plan to put on great muscles? Saving and accumulating that same amount of money daily/monthly/yearly will help you in your real old age while on medication or hospitalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
diagnosed with early osteoarthritis. My ortho doctor suggested not to do treadmill or any exercise which demands much from knees. He advised morning walk as exercise routine. But I don't have time both for morning walk and gym.
What about doctor's advice? I think he is asking you to do low intensity. low impact activity to ensure mobility. Which means any such exercise will be of long duration to offer any significant training benefits.

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th November 2016 at 17:32.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:47   #4371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All

* Perhaps it is too early but my endurance levels seems to be quite low. Fatigue catches up too quickly and neither have been able to increase the reps nor weight :(. Muscles just seems to give up and it is frustrating.

Dont ignore any pains especially those affecting bones/joints. See if its muscle related which if too much should recover with rest.

I am a vegetarian and eat eggs and there is no need to eat flesh mandatory. Not sure if you can. Whey is one way but add pulses, dairy etc. If you are not fed well, you will experience all kinds of pains.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:28   #4372
Team-BHP Support

Any opinions on this article?

Was the stuntmen's low-carb diet to blame for Masti Gudi tragedy?

Quote:
Was it the diet that killed stuntmen Uday and Anil who drowned while filming the climax scene for the film Masti Gudi on Monday? Both men were physically fit but were unable to stay afloat after jumping down from a helicopter.

Going by their looks -- both sported six-pack abs -- one could tell they were on a low-carb diet. Being on an excessively rigid diet will have an impact on a person's energy levels, particularly the electrolyte levels in the blood, which may cause problems like weakness, inability to hold one's breath while swimming and could cause cramps in the water.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/ente...y-1536056.html
Old 8th November 2016, 11:17   #4373
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some advice on protein supplements. Hope you can help.

But first, a bit of background:
1. I am 39 years old and weighed in at close to 99.5 kilos in mid December 2015. A complete body check up revealed elevated Uric Acid levels, Excess Liver Fat, but all other parameters were acceptable. I also had a C5 and C6 bulge (Cervical) and needed regular Physiotherapy.

2. Succumbing to typical Bengali tendencies, I used to consume copious quantities of Sweets, Red Meat, Alcohol and what-not; and almost never ever exercised.

3. Around Christmas 2015, I decided to tackle this head on, and change; and change I have.

What did I change, and Where am I now?
1. Commencing 25 December 2015, I quit (Q-U-I-T) eating Sweets, eating Red Meat and drinking Alcohol or Aerated Drinks. The first 3 months were very tough, to get rid of my cravings. Today, I don't even have any urge to eat or drink these things.

2. Started Cycling regularly and hit the gym. From January to June 2016, my exercising was primarily Cardio and I managed to bring myself down to about 87-88 kilos.

3. I also changed my diet, to a low carb, high protein diet, with very very few cheat days or exceptions. My regular diet comprises of 4-5 litres of Water, various Nuts, 2-3 Eggs, 2-3 Fruits, 2 servings of Salad, 1-2 servings of White meat (Grilled Chicken and Fish), 2 servings of Curd, Milk, Muesli etc.

4. Starting June, I got into strength training, HIIT, Functional Training, Compound Workouts and longer distance cycling. My diet has remained the same. Yesterday my weight was 78 kilos.

5. My visceral fat is less than half of what I had started with, and this was separately confirmed by an Ultrasound as well. My Uric Acid problem is history. I haven't needed a single day of Physiotherapy this year.

6. Lately I find myself getting minor injuries post-workout, which didn't happen to me earlier. My personal trainer keeps telling me that I need a Post-workout Protein Supplement. Till date I haven't tried an artificial supplement of any type.
He suggested 1-2 scoops of ISOPURE Zero/Low Carb Whey Protein POST WORKOUT.
He also told me that I can consider some BCAA supplementation DURING WORKOUT.

7. I am also attempting my first 200 km Brevet Ride this weekend, and long distance cycling remains a constant goal for me.

8. On an average, I workout 5 days a Week, and Cycle 2 days a week nowadays.

What advice I need?
1. Considering my background, journey and goal (which is to stay Lean but get Stronger), is it correct for me to consider ISOPURE / Protein supplements at this stage and age?

2. If the answer to the previous is question is Yes - then is ISOPURE the correct choice of product and where to procure it from to avoid counterfeit? What are my alternatives?

3. What about BCAA? From whatever I have been able to read up, I couldn't find any bad or side effects, and most scientific studies (not body building websites) reported positive results. What's your experience personally, and over the years?

4. What precautions do I need to employ? Any other advice?
Old 8th November 2016, 11:31   #4374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

http://www.newindianexpress.com/ente...y-1536056.html

Remember newspaper journalists are idiots usually.
So:
1. Do we know for sure they were on low carb diet when this incident occured?
2. Do the "esteemed doctors" commenting on the incident know that there are people/tribes in the world that do not live on carbs? How do those people "get energy"?
3. Ketoacidosis? Oh my goodness, is this a doctor speaking or an uninformed journalist? http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.c...oacidosis.html

Honestly speaking, I have talked to many doctors (especially about stuff like diet, training etc) and I am sorry to say most of them lack scientific rigor.
Perhaps that's what enabled them to survive the college and learning by rote regimen?

Regarding the incident- how many of us really swim here in open lake/sea?
Let me assure you it is not at all simple like wallowing in a pool/pond where you get a chance to stand up and fill in lungful of air after each lap.

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th November 2016 at 11:34.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:48   #4375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

That article is extremely misleading. PV Sindhu was on low-carb diet when she won the Silver in Olympics.

Also, the two stuntmen admitted they couldn't really swim just before the jump, on video. They admitted their inability to swim on video. You can't twist that too much.

Then you throw them from 60ft, that is like jumping from 6 storey building height. Since they couldn't swim, it is safe assume they didn't know diving either. They had never done something like that before. Hitting water from that height when they didn't have diving/swimming skill is nothing but murder.

In this video, one of them admits he can't swim, has vertigo even from 1 floor height, and is having a fever right now. Few minutes later he jumps to his death.

And the second guy here admits he can only swim couple of strokes within the well to reach the edge. He clearly says he can't swim 20-30 ft in water. You can't call it knowing swimming.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th November 2016 at 11:56.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:53   #4376
Team-BHP Support

Anyone use: http://zagolife.com/store/super-drinks/body-buddy.html

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-body_buddy_chocolate_orange_front.jpg
Quote:

INGREDIENTS: Water, Dairy Proteins (Caseinate & Whey Protein), Dairy Butter, Cocoa Powder, Natural & Nature-Identical Flavours, Stabiliser (E 407), Malt Extract, Antioxidant
(E 322), Sequestering & Buffering Agent
(E 340 (ii)), Vitamins & Minerals Pre-mix, Salt, Sucralose.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:48   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What is your height and age? 11 kgs in 6 months seems like a pretty decent effort to me!

And your approach to cutting and then gaining seems to be the most commonly suggested one all over the internet but does it really work that way?

Do you wake up because you are feeling hungry or is it just out of habit? Have you always woken up in the middle of the night to eat something? You might want to try casein though. It is a slow release protein and might help in curbing these pangs.
Hi amitoj,

Thank You for replying.
I am 33 years old and my height is 5'7 or 8.

Yes the approach is majorly because of the information available on the internet. Till now it is working for me because my weight is going down and it is reflecting in the mirror as well.

I am quite confident that I have lost significant amount of fat. I understand that I have also lost some muscle mass during the process but I can see the difference in my chest , gut and on my face.

I don't know if I wake up because I am hungry or out of habit. Whatever the case is I am not able to control it.
I have been taking casein since I started my cut 6 months back.

As mentioned before I also tried ZMA , sleep inducing teas , not smoking after 8.00 P.M , meditation , having long hot showers before bed but nothing seems to be working.

Yesterday I ate around 1500 Kcal during the day and I woke up at night and ate about 400 Kcals and majority of them coming from carbs , sugar and fat.
Obviously I woke with extremely bad breath, mood and depression.

I have taken an appointment with a psychiatrist for next week. I hope he will be able to solve the mystery for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Mark my words. Take nude photos of yours (no flexing of any muscle) from all angles today when you are at 73 kg.

Follow you plan of "cutting till 65 kg" and then follow the ambitious plan of "lean bulking till 72 kg". Take nude photos of yours (no flexing of any muscle) from all angles when you reach 72 kg.

Compare the two sets and smack your head laughing+crying on how much time you have wasted in trying to remain the same.
Of course I am presuming that you've been lifting weights from some time now.

You haven't answered amitoj.
Is your sleep improper?
Do you feel hungry while asleep?
Do you have sugar addiction? (Insulin issues)

Losing weight is more to do with what we put in our mouths, rather than the exercise we do. (Unless you are referring to manual labor work for 4-8 hours daily). So to reduce more you will have to cut out the crap from diet (stuff like sugars, refined flour etc)

Why are you wasting your money on whey and other dung? Are you taking the juice? Do you plan to put on great muscles? Saving and accumulating that same amount of money daily/monthly/yearly will help you in your real old age while on medication or hospitalization.

What about doctor's advice? I think he is asking you to do low intensity. low impact activity to ensure mobility. Which means any such exercise will be of long duration to offer any significant training benefits.
Hi alpha1,

Thank You for replying.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you trying to say to say that an individual at 72 Kgs with 18% body fat will look same at 72 Kgs with say 12% body fat?
During my college days I used to be 74-75 and as of today I am 73 and I can tell by comparing the pictures that now I look much athletic with bigger arms , smaller waist and better overall upper body.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th November 2016 at 14:53. Reason: use multi-quote feature.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:10   #4378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi alpha1,

Thank You for replying.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
All I am saying is that if you have been working out for some time properly (in years). It doesn't matter how many cycles of cutting and bulking you indulge in.

If today you are 18% body fat at 72 kg, the only way you can become 12% body fat at 72 kg is by increasing the anabolic hormone in your blood.

But since you will not believe it, I asked you to undertake the cutting and bulking journey and take the photos unflexed for comparison.

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th November 2016 at 14:11.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:11   #4379
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I ate around 1500 Kcal during the day and I woke up at night and ate about 400 Kcals and majority of them coming from carbs , sugar and fat.
Just one suggestion. See if it works.

Work out your meals in such a way that you consume majority of your carb at night.

I tried this recently in order to relish the Diwali sweets and though I did not lose any weight or waist, but the jeans felt that it had wee bit of an additional space.

Besides, I find milk, I prefer toned (the one with moderate fat), also helps. I take it before dinner and it helps me reduce my carb craving.

At present, my daily intake is in the vicinity of 1600 kcal.

I also don't take whey/casein because, apart from other reasons, I feel, it significantly reduces the volume of the food, especially when you are restricting your calories, thereby leaving lots of vacant space inside your tummy and the pining to fill it.

Let me know of your experiences, if at all you try it out.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:47   #4380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
All I am saying is that if you have been working out for some time properly (in years). It doesn't matter how many cycles of cutting and bulking you indulge in.

If today you are 18% body fat at 72 kg, the only way you can become 12% body fat at 72 kg is by increasing the anabolic hormone in your blood.

But since you will not believe it, I asked you to undertake the cutting and bulking journey and take the photos unflexed for comparison.
Honestly I don't agree with that.

Very slow cut(300 Calorie Deficit) while trying to maintain your lifts and then a long conservative lean bulk (300 calorie surplus) will surely bring your fat % down.

Are you talking about increasing the anabolic hormones by using gear or naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Just one suggestion. See if it works.

Work out your meals in such a way that you consume majority of your carb at night.

I tried this recently in order to relish the Diwali sweets and though I did not lose any weight or waist, but the jeans felt that it had wee bit of an additional space.

Besides, I find milk, I prefer toned (the one with moderate fat), also helps. I take it before dinner and it helps me reduce my carb craving.

At present, my daily intake is in the vicinity of 1600 kcal.

I also don't take whey/casein because, apart from other reasons, I feel, it significantly reduces the volume of the food, especially when you are restricting your calories, thereby leaving lots of vacant space inside your tummy and the pining to fill it.

Let me know of your experiences, if at all you try it out.
Thank You for the reply.

I will give it a try and share the experience. Currently I am distributing the carbs throughout the day.

What your macros look like?

Last edited by Samurai : 8th November 2016 at 14:52. Reason: back to back post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks