Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2016, 18:30   #4471
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
It sure does, many thanks!

So how do I go about getting myself one? Did you procure the raw material separately before going to the fabricator. Where exactly in Delhi did you get this made? I stay in South Delhi so it its far off maybe I should I get it made nearby instead.

Lastly, any learning after making this rack or are you totally happy with what you've got. I would definitely want to get a pull-up bar provision because what I currently have is the Iso Solid pull-bar bolted on the wall.

Anything else you feel you could've gotten done to make the rack even more versatile in its use?
I procured the raw material, i.e. all the steel myself from the hardware market in Jangpura Extension (Bhogal).

As for the fabrication part, i had asked a few fabricators in that market iteself. However, they were pricey. Luckily I happened to see a contractor doing fabrication work near my house at Chanakyapuri. I got him to my place, explained to him my concept and also showed him a few hand made sketches. He was confident he could do the work. So I also trusted him and handed him the raw material. He finished the job in about 10 days or so (delay mainly because of extended power cuts in his workshop in Shahadra in those peak summer months).

What I would suggest is may be the same guy could the job for you. I should be able to dig his number out. Since he already knows the work involved, it would be easier. Also, he could take direct measurements from my place and buy the steel also for you, and you would be spared that hassle.

As for any thing I would like to change, it would be the dimensions. I would certainly reduce the foot print of the rack as I feel even a slightly smaller sized one would do the job equally well and of course occupy lesser space. The pull up bar like I said is already there and I use it regularly.

And finally, I would strongly suggest you have a look at my rack in person before you go ahead with the above suggestions. May be there's something that I have not been able to convey to you which you should regret later.

Cheers.
Old 31st December 2016, 18:34   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I procured the raw material, i.e. all the steel myself from the hardware market in Jangpura Extension (Bhogal).....

And finally, I would strongly suggest you have a look at my rack in person before you go ahead with the above suggestions. May be there's something that I have not been able to convey to you which you should regret later.

Cheers.
I agree to all you said and thanks for the invitation! I'll pm you and meet up soon.

Happy new year!
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:07   #4473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
The function of the pectoralis major is to adduct the humerus in the transverse plane. In simple language, the main function and purpose of the chest muscle is to bring the upper arm closer to the mid line of the body.

While doing flyes, the only thing different in the motion is you take elbow extension (triceps) out of the movement, and add instability as the weight goes quite a bit out of the base of support.

Do this exercise and maybe you'll be able to understand better: stand in front of the mirror and using only 1 arm (to help you focus better), mimic the movement from the press and the fly alternatively. You'll notice that the upper arm moves identically in each case.
The presence of barbell while doing bench press will always limit the eccentric depth (unless one can run the barbell through the rib cage). Flyes do not come with such limitation.

Similarly the row - the lats never get stretched while doing the rows (one will have to do chins/pullups to increase the range of motion experienced by lats)

Squats - the quadriceps are quite capable to stretching further compared to what one encounters at the bottom of the squat ("hole"). Not convinced? Compare the hindu squat with regular squat.

So what I was coming to was - if these exercises are touted as great for hypertrophy of the concerned muscles - it is clear that full range movement is not required.
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:10   #4474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've said this before. Spend a thousand bucks and get your fav supplement tested! There are many food labs available in every city who can do tests.

Basic nutritional info tests are available from 800 onwards and if you wish to get the heavy metal etc. test incorporated it'd go upto 2k max.

There is absolutely no merit in taking whey or creatine but if someone thinks there is, the least they can do is test what they are putting inside their body.
Most people take whey to compensate for the protein deficiency they face in regular meals especially if someone is not eggeterian/non-vegeterian.

What are your views on the imported brands of whey proteins? Like Optimum Whey Protein?
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:23   #4475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Most people take whey to compensate for the protein deficiency
1. What are the symptoms of protein deficiency?
2. If someone is suffering from the above symptoms, can it be isolated to protein deficiency as the cause or there are more plausible explanations available?
###
Most people take whey on advice of gym instructors and peers.
Now the question is that does it make difference to your performance?
Everyone need to test, verify, observe the effects on himself.

Does the added whey to diet lead to a faster recovery between workouts? Less lethargy, increased progression? Then it works for you.
If it doesn't make any significant difference - it is probably just a snake oil for you.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:30   #4476
BHPian

ok, I'd like to pitch in with my opinion on the subject of Amir Khan's transformation, first off he looks fantastic, incredible job considering he is 50 years old. Some of the posts here are saying he might have used steroids to achieve that kind of physique but none of us here have any proof, I personally would not like to speculate, moving on.

Steroids can give you incredible results in a short amount of time, so even if Amir has used steroids, it is not a walk in the park to reduce 37% body fat to 9.8% in five months, he has definitely put in a TON of hard work and we must remember he does have the lifting experience, that would have helped him but given the physical condition that he was in before the transformation, I must admit it is a pretty spectacular effort.

The kind of results he's achieved cannot be gained by using only steroids, it would have been a combination of clean food, supplements and a lot of heavy lifting. It is easy for us to speculate because of steroids he has been able to achieve that body, but I'd like to point out, even if anyone of us used Roids, we wouldn't be able to achieve what Amir has because no two bodies are the same. I am not an advocate of any type of steroid and I haven't used them ever, but steroids have off/on cycles, people use it and it is their choice.

Nothing beats Diet, period! Supplements can be taken provided if you can get it tested from a third party testing food labs, as somebody mentioned it here; Because there are a lot of fake products in the market and here in our country anything can be duplicated. There is no replacement for real food, supplements only supplement, for instance a scoop isolate whey protein consumed within an hour after the workout directly hits the blood stream and helps repair the damaged muscle tissue/fiber almost immediately unlike protein sources like chicken and egg, which gets consumed and digested etc. There are tons of supplements out there for various purposes but whey protein is pretty safe. I do not want to discuss about other supplements as there are tons of discussion that is going on.

I have been working out since I was 18, for atleast eight years straight now I am 32 now and in the last fours years my workouts have been off and on due to shoulder injury. I regret not having the kind of knowledge that I have now, back then when I initially stated out, especially the diet/nutrition part.
What I am trying to say is, all of us can achieve what Amir has if not even better physiques WITHOUT steroids, maybe not in five months but depending on the consistency of your wight training, cardio and most importantly your diet, it can be achieved, I can confidently say this.

Another Hollywood star named Zac Effron, transformed his body for his movie The Baywatch and he as achieved it in two years and he looks incredible. Compare his and Amir's.

PS: Steroids are bad for you, I would never suggest them to anyone.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by chetan : 2nd January 2017 at 18:32.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:47   #4477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
I have been working out since I was 18, for atleast eight years straight now I am 32 now and in the last fours years my workouts have been off and on due to shoulder injury. I regret not having the kind of knowledge that I have now, back then when I initially stated out, especially the diet/nutrition part.
What I am trying to say is, all of us can achieve what Amir has if not even better physiques WITHOUT steroids, maybe not in five months but depending on the consistency of your wight training, cardio and most importantly your diet, it can be achieved, I can confidently say this.
I have been working out since 1984, I have never tried any supplement or steroids. I cannot believe that Aamir's physique can be achieved by pure diet and workout alone. Now add the fact that he is 51 and did it in just 3-5 months.
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:45   #4478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been working out since 1984, I have never tried any supplement or steroids. I cannot believe that Aamir's physique can be achieved by pure diet and workout alone. Now add the fact that he is 51 and did it in just 3-5 months.
Given Aaamir's age it is next to impossible to attain that physique; In my honest opinion, you need some kind of juice that needs to be put inside the body to get that kind of results in five months, but he would put in a lot of effort as well. I would never encourage steroids. This is bollywood and Aamir is an actor and he would definitely been counselled about the risks, if roids were used. But it is his choice and his life. But the movie sure has generated a lot of money and Aamir would have gotten richer.

But I strongly believe one can achieve the same results over time but definitely not in five months provided the diet is spot on and the consistency of weight training is on track. I think us public should not pay importance to Aamir's physique. Instead of speculating, we might as well put in the hard work and attain our desired result.

Last edited by chetan : 2nd January 2017 at 20:10.
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:37   #4479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most people take whey to compensate for the protein deficiency they face in regular meals especially if someone is not eggeterian/non-vegeterian.

What are your views on the imported brands of whey proteins? Like Optimum Whey Protein?
Most people are idiots. Most follow what most others do, herd mentality. Whey = Muscle = Recovery = Protein Synthesis = <insert jargon>

Most people consuming whey, here and elsewhere, do not have a body like most supermodels yet they continue to consume this magical substance in the hope that one day, one day, they'll transform into a physique that they've only dreamed of so far.

By the way, ON is one brand that has maximum fakes in the market.
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:45   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
ok, I'd like to pitch in with my opinion on the subject of Amir Khan's transformation, first off he looks fantastic, incredible job considering he is 50 years old. Some of the posts here are saying he might have used steroids to achieve that kind of physique but none of us here have any proof, I personally would not like to speculate, moving on.
The body digests at it's own pace, whether you throw Isolate or Concentrate, and it absorbs at it's own requirement and ability too. Even Whey has better absorption if you take it with whole foods.

Coming to Mr. Khan and his transformation, you need testosterone and at 50 to have that amount flowing free in your body you need external help.

No, nobody can build that kind of physique without steroids, period. You can say all you want, but no, it just doesn't work. The body will not allow packing as much muscle mass without any respectable fat stores.

No, you dont need heavy-ass lifting when on a steroid cycle. The purpose of training and lifting heavy is to create an anabolic environment for the body. Steroids do that for you, when you are on a cycle. You can train 2 days a week and still be getting ripped. You are as anabolic as can be on a cycle, you can sleep and be growing and burning fat.

Most professional trainers get you lifting moderate weights, not heavy; when on a cycle if you are pursuing aesthetics. The simplest reason is on cycle your muscle grows, but your tendons and ligaments can not necessarily take that kind of heavy workout. That's where the 'pump' comes in, and if you have good mind-muscle connection you can pump your biceps without a dumbbell, forget a heavy one. Ditto for any muscle group. That said, there's another group of professional lifters who take a cycle to increase strength, and they only focus on big lifting, but they dont look like Mr. Khan.

Quote:
Given Aaamir's age it is next to impossible to attain that physique; In my honest opinion, you need some kind of juice that needs to be put inside the body to get that kind of results in five months, but he would put in a lot of effort as well.
You changed your POV in just two posts buddy.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2017 at 10:20.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:01   #4481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most people are idiots. Most follow what most others do, herd mentality. Whey = Muscle = Recovery = Protein Synthesis = <insert jargon>

Most people consuming whey, here and elsewhere, do not have a body like most supermodels yet they continue to consume this magical substance in the hope that one day, one day, they'll transform into a physique that they've only dreamed of so far.

By the way, ON is one brand that has maximum fakes in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1. What are the symptoms of protein deficiency?
2. If someone is suffering from the above symptoms, can it be isolated to protein deficiency as the cause or there are more plausible explanations available?
###
Most people take whey on advice of gym instructors and peers.
Now the question is that does it make difference to your performance?
Everyone need to test, verify, observe the effects on himself.

Does the added whey to diet lead to a faster recovery between workouts? Less lethargy, increased progression? Then it works for you.
If it doesn't make any significant difference - it is probably just a snake oil for you.
I don't know much about the technicalities of the supplements, but I have seen guys who were waffer thin and then developed a good physique after consuming few kgs of whey protein over a period of 6-7 months.

Though I don't need whey protein, I already weigh 80Kgs (6"-26yr), still a lean frame, not too heavy at all.

I was just researching about it as I was not able to lift huge weights just my other gym coutnerparts who take whey proteins and have those heavy looking biceps! Though they also take creatine supplements as well along with whey.

I talked about Optimum protein as most people in my gym says it is available 100% genuine on Amazon India!

Not sure about the claims though.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:30   #4482
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know much about the technicalities of the supplements, but I have seen guys who were waffer thin and then developed a good physique after consuming few kgs of whey protein over a period of 6-7 months.
Its a myth created and sustained by supplement industry that eating supplements will help one pack layers of muscles in short time. Growing muscles depends mainly on three things: diet, hormones, and genetics. And few are gifted with all these three things.

Quote:
I was just researching about it as I was not able to lift huge weights just my other gym coutnerparts who take whey proteins and have those heavy looking biceps! Though they also take creatine supplements as well along with whey.
Not everyone has huge biceps but they can still lift weights. Personally, i have puny arms, thanks to my ancestors, but i used to dead lift close to 2.5 times my body weight. I would suggest that you further analyze your workouts and try to find out where you are going wrong. For example, it might be as simple as a wrong grip.

Quote:
I talked about Optimum protein as most people in my gym says it is available 100% genuine on Amazon India!

Not sure about the claims though.
As fine69 mentioned, ON is the LS2 of supplement world. There are too many duplicates out there.
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:27   #4483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know much about the technicalities of the supplements, but I have seen guys who were waffer thin and then developed a good physique after consuming few kgs of whey protein over a period of 6-7 months......
What's your goal? Bodybuilding? Which bodybuilder do you want to look like?

Just in case you want to be a better version of You, stop researching and start training instead.

Your maximum muscle potential can easily be determined using your wrist/ankle measurements and that's with extensive training, proper eating/rest and discipline. May be you'll reach there in 5 or 15 years but that's pretty much it.

Start with a 5x5 kind of strength training program and once you reach your bodyweight in lifting (squat/deadlift/bench), you could take up programs that are focused towards bodybuilding instead.

However, if you want to jump on the whey chugging wagon, prepare to be disappointed.
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:55   #4484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's your goal? Bodybuilding? Which bodybuilder do you want to look like?

Just in case you want to be a better version of You, stop researching and start training instead.
. May be you'll reach there in 5 or 15 years but that's pretty much it.

Start with a 5x5 kind of strength training program and once you reach your bodyweight in lifting (squat/deadlift/bench), you could take up programs that are focused towards bodybuilding instead.
My primary goal is what you have specified (in bold). For reference purpose you can take example of the physique that Fawad Khan/Siddharth Malhotra type of actors have

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
For example, it might be as simple as a wrong grip.
Though I can lift weights for other exercises, I have a tough time for bicep related exercises, especially EZ-bar preacher curl.
Old 3rd January 2017, 23:17   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Though I can lift weights for other exercises, I have a tough time for bicep related exercises, especially EZ-bar preacher curl.
. Now this is interesting. I have come across instances where wrist pain is experienced while curling using normal barbell. EZ-bar curls, be it normal or preacher, are suggested as the bar provides flexible grip and its easier to lift, comparatively . Personally, i hate preacher curls, be it done using bar or using machine, but i found a workout that kind of works similar.
What about other bicep exercises? You can maybe avoid this exercise if you are happy with the weights that you life with other exercises.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks