Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 12:56   #4081
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

This is where the dilemma is. I have a paunch that continues to be stagnant. If I eat less then its obvious I'm not going to put on any muscles and if I am on an excess calorie diet I'm not going to lose the paunch.

For now the plan is to be on a calorie excess diet, build a little muscle, then cut down on food a little and see for myself how many body reacts. Unless of course there's a better advice for me around this.
I am in the same boat as you! Overall I am ok with how my body is shaping up, but the love handles/paunch just won't go away. I have been training and eating healthy for a while now.

Reading about it, people say that it is subcutaneous fat and is harder to get rid of than visceral fat.

I have added some low intensity cardio (heart rate under 130) in the fasted state and seeing some improvements but I still have a long way to go.

Cheers,
Saurabh
Old 28th October 2015, 19:11   #4082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Reading about it, people say that it is subcutaneous fat and is harder to get rid of than visceral fat.
Whatever the name given to it, one can get rid of it quite easily if they train hard. When I was doing HIIT I got rid of all love handles and had an almost flat tummy but I don't want to do something similar because I'm afraid of losing whatever small gains I've made.

For me the battle was never to lose weight, it was to gain instead.

Now I'm planning to gain some muscles (another 8-10 months at least) and then do a little HIIT while continuing with weight training and see for myself how my body is going to react to it.

I've not really followed the typical broscience rules so far and am pretty satisfied with whatever little progress I'm making.

Question to the group -

I have two set of dumbbells with max weight 7 kg per dumbbell. I do back exercises with 9kg when using just one dumbbell. However, even this weight is not sufficient now for back exercises and I plan on purchasing another set of cast iron dumbbells. What kind of weight makes sense now, I'm thinking a combination which gives me a range from 5kg to 20 kg (per dumbbell) should be enough for at least year, thoughts?

Any place in Delhi which would have a better deal than the ones available online? For example - http://www.amazon.in/TTC-FITNESS-Hom...6037902&sr=1-7

EDIT: I'm keen on having iron dumbbells rather than the rubber ones simply because they'd have better longevity. A lot of reviews of rubber ones state that they tear off from edges and smell weird also.

Last edited by fine69 : 28th October 2015 at 19:15.
Old 28th October 2015, 21:03   #4083

Quote:
Question to the group -
I have two set of dumbbells with max weight 7 kg per dumbbell. I do back exercises with 9kg when using just one dumbbell. However, even this weight is not sufficient now for back exercises and I plan on purchasing another set of cast iron dumbbells. What kind of weight makes sense now, I'm thinking a combination which gives me a range from 5kg to 20 kg (per dumbbell) should be enough for at least year, thoughts?
With 7 or 9 kg dumbells, you can reach plateau very fast, it makes sense to progressively increase the weights till about 25 to 30 kg per dumbbell or less or more...depending on your body weight, composition etc

Quote:
Question to the group -
EDIT: I'm keen on having iron dumbbells rather than the rubber ones simply because they'd have better longevity. A lot of reviews of rubber ones state that they tear off from edges and smell weird also.
God forbid if you ever drop those dumbells accidentally on your fingers or toes, you wish they were rubber ones.... telling that from experience
Old 29th October 2015, 16:45   #4084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
With 7 or 9 kg dumbells, you can reach plateau very fast, it makes sense to progressively increase the weights till about 25 to 30 kg per dumbbell or less or more...depending on your body weight, composition etc
Correction, I do back with 13kgs instead of 9kgs so what I need is something that starts from 10kg and gives me, as your rightly said, upto 30kgs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
God forbid if you ever drop those dumbells accidentally on your fingers or toes, you wish they were rubber ones.... telling that from experience
Are you saying that locks also give out on iron dumbbells or just that accidentally one might drop it. I'm not sure though how can one drop a dumbbell.

Again, I'm skeptic because of the rubber edges tearing off way faster with rubber dumbbells. How long do these generally last, a year or two?
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:30   #4085

Quote:
Are you saying that locks also give out on iron dumbbells or just that accidentally one might drop it. I'm not sure though how can one drop a dumbbell.
I accidentally placed the dumbbell carelessly after workout (many years ago), one of my fingers came in between. And had to grow a new finger nail after 3 months

Quote:
Again, I'm skeptic because of the rubber edges tearing off way faster with rubber dumbbells. How long do these generally last, a year or two?
the rubber edges don't wear/tear off faster, at least in the gym that I visit, where hundreds of blokes handle the same weights day in and out, for few years
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:57   #4086
Senior - BHPian

I have a welding guy from whom I got the steel door made for my house. Before getting the Iso Solid pull-up bar I had gotten a thick rod made from him for pull-ups.

I was thinking that instead of getting a bench that can work for bench presses as well as squat rack, shouldn't I get one custom made from these guys or would a readymade one always be cheaper?

What I liked was something like this - http://www.amazon.in/ADJUSTABLE-WEIG...ords=gym+bench

Not that I want a foldable bench but something which is just about right for bench-press and squats. I don't think I need the professional racks yet because once I reach that stage I'd rather start going to the nearby gym. However, I'd like to use barbell for benchpress and squats for sure. Deadlifts are also fun with barbell I guess.

The advantage that I see for a custom made bench/rack is that I'd be able to get the apt height for placing barbell during squats or benchpress. The downside that I see is that I'd have to get a padded foam thing made from somewhere else and get it attached to the bench/rack which the welding guys wouldn't be able to do.

Since I have no clue how to get this bench/rack setup would it make sense to go with a readymade one or not, thoughts?

EDIT: I think getting the custom bench to work for incline/decline press is also going to be an issue. What kind of basic bench/rack should I be looking at considering it'd occupy space at home and I'm a beginner.

EDIT 2: http://www.decathlon.in/fitness/body...210/p-M8193221 This looks awesome and is foldable too!!

Last edited by fine69 : 3rd November 2015 at 20:02.
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:29   #4087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I have no clue how to get this bench/rack setup would it make sense to go with a readymade one or not, thoughts?
Why not join a gym rather than spend money on buying/building sub-standard equipment?

A lot of scientific research goes into designing proper gym equipment. I have personally experienced the difference between the machines in a good gym and those present in small gyms and apartments. By quality I mean the stability, safety and range of motion offered is class apart. Yes, you can build a good body with no equipment also, but if you have access to a decent setup, why not utilize it? You are in Delhi and I am sure you will surely find a good gym for whatever your budget might be.
Old 3rd November 2015, 22:47   #4088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why not join a gym rather than spend money on buying/building sub-standard equipment?
Timing mainly. I workout during the night and at times start my workout at 11pm, like I will today. So gyms nearby aren't really an option. In fact my office has a decent gym but working out in the night suits me better.

I workout at my own pace and enjoy working out at home.

The equipment that's listed on decathalon has some pretty good reviews so I'm trying to not settle for a sub-standard equipment. I understand that stability etc. is something which gets better as price goes up but I will definitely not settle for something which might injure me or not work in the desired manner, hence the question about the equipment that I found online.
Old 4th November 2015, 09:13   #4089
BHPian

Any long distance runners in here ? I have just started running a few months and increase the amount week on week. Any guidance on what is the apt amount to increase week on week. Are their any proven beginner marathon training plans ? I found a few on the net, not sure if these are any good though.
Any guidance will be appreciated
Old 4th November 2015, 09:38   #4090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Any long distance runners in here ?
A more appropriate thread would be this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-thread-9.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th November 2015, 15:23   #4091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Any long distance runners in here ? I have just started running a few months and increase the amount week on week. Any guidance on what is the apt amount to increase week on week. Are their any proven beginner marathon training plans ? I found a few on the net, not sure if these are any good though.
Any guidance will be appreciated
Not exactly a long distance runner but I like doing it.

Yes, there are many helps (read apps) available online. But the one that I liked the most was Adidas micoach (renamed perhaps as Smart Training & Run). You can download it in your phone and start running after selecting a training plan from a list that would count more than hundreds you would prefer. You can do the latter part on their website as well.

It is a fun way to run. Best wishes.
Old 4th November 2015, 16:05   #4092
Senior - BHPian

It seems that the Domyos equipment listed in Decathlon is pretty sturdy and has some good reviews not just from India but from abroad also.

I was planning to get this squat rack - http://www.decathlon.in/fitness/body...est/p-M8317447

and this bench - http://www.decathlon.in/fitness/body...220/p-M8231309

The squat rack can hold upto 250kgs which I don't think I'd be hitting annnnyyyytime soon (or ever ) and the bench can hold weight upto 210kgs!! I weigh 63kgs by the way.

If I order these two, I'd have a squat rack, a bench(F/I/D), a pull-up bar (which has just arrived), dumbbells, barbell & zig-zag bar (which I'll order soon). I guess that's good enough for me to work through a couple of years at least or until the equipment gives up on me.

Any downside to these two equipments that I've shortlisted from decathlon that I'm not aware of? I know the rack/bench don't compare to the ones available in the gym but its going to get used 3-4 times a week for about 30-45 mins each day.

Next step would be to visit one of the nearest decathlon stores and check out the equipment in person unless of course I shouldn't buy this due to some reason.
Old 6th November 2015, 00:21   #4093
BHPian

Quote:
I just keep coming back to this thread.

Now the training part is very sorted. I'm doing weights 3 days a week (every alternate day). Rest is no longer a problem, I'm seeing a little change in my body too which is keeping me motivated but food, food is a disaster.
Have been going through this thread on and off for a long time now and i have seen that you have been active on this thread a long time with queries and questions.

Now i am not the holy incarnate but i would like to just give you my 2 cents and a brief about me.

I took to going to the gym in may of 2013 after a friend of mine and his dad literally shamed me for what i had become i got too busy with my businees with no physhical activity and too much kormas and butter chickens and the holy fast food shabang. After that humiliation at their hands i looked into the mirror and felt ashamed myself and hence going to the gym happened.

Its been 2 years now and i am happy with what i do there and where i have reached so far. From your query lemme put it bluntly and to the point dude food isnt the issue you are not training enough with the desired intensity.

Weights is very specific to every person i mean i do 2 body parts a day, biceps back, chest triceps, shoulder legs, cardio day rest and then all over again. All 2 body part days have 30 mins cardio as well. And my trainer just asks me to lift as heavy as i can as long i rep atleast 12-14 reps..

What i would suggest to you is join a gym.
Workout whenever you have time working out at home is never gonna get you the results you aim for. You always need someone to spot for you and push and motivate you because its more mental then physical.

2 years ago i couldn't curl 10 kgs if it meant saving my life now i can curl 30 for atleast 8 reps so its a gradual process takes time and hard work and perseverance but i always believe in the fact that nothing can be achieved till you train in your comfort zone.

Thats me after training arms today.
Cheers and all the best
Attached Thumbnails
Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-image.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th November 2015 at 12:20. Reason: Post edited, there were a lot of breaks in the middle of sentences. Please also spell check your posts before submitting.
Old 9th November 2015, 15:33   #4094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
From your query lemme put it bluntly and to the point dude food isnt the issue you are not training enough with the desired intensity
Intensity is never a problem with me you've got to read what all I've gone through AND going through so its not really the problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
What i would suggest to you is join a gym
Workout whenever you have time working out at home is never gonna get you the results you aim for. You always need someone to spot for you and push and motivate you beacuse its more mental then physical.
I don't want to take out my car in the night around 10 or 11 to go to a gym honestly. I'd save time and use that time to workout and catch up on sleep (which is always a problem for me).

My weak areas i.e. chest and biceps aren't going to be trained differently in gym so I don't really feel the need. I've started to see the change so I know something is going right.

With a squat rack, bench, barbell & zig-zag bar (whatever its called) I'd have enough to form a more than complete workout, have already got the dumbbells and pull-up bar.

Again, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa but I enjoy working out at home and don't really see any reason to do it otherwise. What I need is to get this equipment at home after Diwali and see how this changes things.
Old 10th November 2015, 10:33   #4095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a squat rack, bench, barbell & zig-zag bar (whatever its called) I'd have enough to form a more than complete workout, have already got the dumbbells and pull-up bar..
Do you have anybody to spot for you? With squat and bench press, it is all the more important that you have someone to help you out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks