Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:39   #2551
BHPian

Which is a good protein drink as an after-run drink?
Old 5th June 2010, 00:17   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Which is a good protein drink as an after-run drink?
i'd like to get some salts back in after a good run. "Fastcharge" by Bodyfuelz has been satisfactory towards that end for a while now. For me.
Why do you ask for a "protein drink", any special reason?
Old 5th June 2010, 09:55   #2553
BHPian

Post running (depending on the intensity of your run), your body goes in catabolic state (muscle wasting). Also significant amount of cortisol is released which have it's fair share of negative affects on immune system. To prevent catabolic action and bring back your body into positive nitrigen bbalance, it is always advised to consume one serving of Whey protein, Pre (preferably with Vitamin E and EAA's) and Post workout (Preferably with Vitamin B complex, and Electrolytes+Dextrose~like you mentioned~Fastcharge).
Old 5th June 2010, 18:23   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Post running (depending on the intensity of your run), your body goes in catabolic state (muscle wasting). Also significant amount of cortisol is released which have it's fair share of negative affects on immune system. To prevent catabolic action and bring back your body into positive nitrigen bbalance, it is always advised to consume one serving of Whey protein, Pre (preferably with Vitamin E and EAA's) and Post workout (Preferably with Vitamin B complex, and Electrolytes+Dextrose~like you mentioned~Fastcharge).
If it is going into a catabolic state, isn't it better to take a mix of simple and complex carbs post workout? I understand that pre workout protein intake will deliver amino acids into the blood stream by the end of the run. That should counter the catabolism at one end.
But protein ingestion Post Workout... I guess we're moving into isolate territory here...

Edit : And suggest a good source of EAAs please. Preferably natural.

Last edited by godog : 5th June 2010 at 18:26.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:19   #2555
BHPian

Simple and complex carbs take care of liver glycogen and muscle glycogen replenishment levels. It's the EAA's and BCAA's which take care of muscle sparing and muscle building.
So, an ideal drink would be 2:1 (Carbs:Whey Protein) alongwith Vitamin B complex. Consuming 400 IU Vitamin E pre-workout limits the release of cortisol as Vitamin E is a very powerful vasodilator and antioxidant.
Any good quality WPC or WPI is loaded with EAA's and it does the job well. But if taste and digestibility is an issue, one should look for an Isolate or specialized EAA drink like Scivation Xtend.
Old 6th June 2010, 14:52   #2556
BHPian

Experts here, need guidance on choosing products.

My friend is returning from US and I am gonna tell him to bring few stuff.
My goal : To get a lean and toned phsique a'la beach body. I am currently 5'11 at 76kgs. I have been gymming on and off always. This time around I am determined, so suggest me a good stack with any of the following - Protein, Creatine, NO, HMBs, HGHs, Fat burners, Multivits, etc . Thanks guys.
Old 6th June 2010, 19:37   #2557
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just bought a bottle of Opti-men 90 tablets. Actually, I had gone to buy Anavites by Gaspari, but got this only from Neulife. Paid 980 bucks for this bottle.

Recommended dosage is 3 tablets a day, but I would start with 1, as I think, that would be more than enough, as I also take Myofusion, gym around 4 days a week and weigh only 122 pounds, at 5"3.

Godog & testo, please do advice if I'm going wrong.
Old 7th June 2010, 05:15   #2558
BHPian

I'm slightly anti- prohormones. So, no comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought a bottle of Opti-men 90 tablets. Actually, I had gone to buy Anavites by Gaspari, but got this only from Neulife. Paid 980 bucks for this bottle.

Recommended dosage is 3 tablets a day, but I would start with 1, as I think, that would be more than enough, as I also take Myofusion, gym around 4 days a week and weigh only 122 pounds, at 5"3.

Godog & testo, please do advice if I'm going wrong.
Old 7th June 2010, 05:41   #2559
BHPian

@godog
Am I missing on something ?
I just bought Opti-men with the intention of covering up all the missing vitamins and minerals.
Link on bb.com : Bodybuilding.com - Optimum Opti-Men - More Than A Multi! On sale now!
Old 7th June 2010, 12:16   #2560
BHPian

To all the bodybuilding guru's on this post...

I have been gymming for 3 months now, in the past i have never been determined the way I have been this time. Started Gold Standard Protein since last one week.

Results in last 3 months have been decent enough.

Every one has there own goal in bodybuilding, though a complete work-out is essential to shape and tone your entire body.

My concern is I dont want to build my chest so much (want lean chest) and I am totally confused what is that I should not do to expand and not make it huge. Currently I have good loose fat on my chest area and which makes it look like a saggy chest, dont want to pump it up more (but just shape it up and remove the loose fat). have spoken to every instructor in my gym and my brother who has gymed for 3 years, they are suggesting to keep decent weight of dumbles i.e. 25 pounds (15 reps of 2 sets) each hand and no incline or decline bench but just straight bench press and fly (nothing more for the chest). I am totally confused and need a your advice.

PLease help.

Cheers
Old 7th June 2010, 12:30   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
i'd like to get some salts back in after a good run. "Fastcharge" by Bodyfuelz has been satisfactory towards that end for a while now. For me.
Why do you ask for a "protein drink", any special reason?
I was looking for something more specifically 2/3rd carb + 1/3rd protein, which is ideal for recovery post running. Any readymade drinks/preparations?
Old 7th June 2010, 19:07   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
@godog
Am I missing on something ?
I just bought Opti-men with the intention of covering up all the missing vitamins and minerals.
Link on bb.com : Bodybuilding.com - Optimum Opti-Men - More Than A Multi! On sale now!
Sorry I didn't look up this one, only saw the Gaspari product. But even so, both claim to give you an "edge" in the "maleness" department. Since there is no FDA regulation, as earlier suggested by 1-T (a year ago, perhaps), I'd stay away from a prohormone even if it quotes "herbal ingredients", which both these products do.
Simply put, my aversion to these things stemms from the belief that i'm ok burning my wallet on expensive protein and Real Food, than burn my balls on cheap multis.

(P.S. I hate the way these companies market their stuff. Maybe I should invest in them? :P )
Old 7th June 2010, 23:56   #2563
Senior - BHPian

So which multivitamin should we invest in?Any suggestions?

Because frankly looking at opti-men's profile of vitamins they are just way too much for consumption of normal people like us working out.Maybe men who are professionally involved into bodybuilding or major strength sports might use that amount of vitamins.

So which ones are the best for normal people like us who are working out good but NOT really aiming at a body building competition.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:33   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
To all the bodybuilding guru's on this post...

I have been gymming for 3 months now, in the past i have never been determined the way I have been this time. Started Gold Standard Protein since last one week.

Results in last 3 months have been decent enough.

Every one has there own goal in bodybuilding, though a complete work-out is essential to shape and tone your entire body.

My concern is I dont want to build my chest so much (want lean chest) and I am totally confused what is that I should not do to expand and not make it huge. Currently I have good loose fat on my chest area and which makes it look like a saggy chest, dont want to pump it up more (but just shape it up and remove the loose fat). have spoken to every instructor in my gym and my brother who has gymed for 3 years, they are suggesting to keep decent weight of dumbles i.e. 25 pounds (15 reps of 2 sets) each hand and no incline or decline bench but just straight bench press and fly (nothing more for the chest). I am totally confused and need a your advice.

PLease help.

Cheers
Guys any thoughts on my query above, shall i continue to do what I have mentioned above or stop it completely. please advice..
Old 8th June 2010, 22:23   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Guys any thoughts on my query above, shall i continue to do what I have mentioned above or stop it completely. please advice..
I'd say look at the advice objectively. Don't lose sight of the basics, focus on compound movements, flat bench press included. And gauge improvements yourself on a weekly basis. Only you can be the best judge for whats working for you.
Be sure, all the advice meted out on this thread only qualifies as armchair commentary, and my opinion is based solely on My Bodybuilding Beliefs. Do not accept them as your own until they find resonance with you and your logic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks