Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 22:42   #2566
BHPian

Great chests are usually genetically gifted. Guy like Sergio used to do couple of sets of flat bench press and his chest would come out like a thick loaf of bread. Other would beat the **** of their multiple angle chest workouts (Incline, Flat, Decline, Barbell, Dumbell, Cable and what not) and still couldn't achieve that perfect shape.

The rule of thumb is to stick with free weight, compound exercises like Flat/Incline and Decline Dumbbell Presses, dumbbell Flys and Parallel bar Dips.

Stay away from machines as they hinder the progress as they you can't hit your chest or any body part in 3-D way. Keep your workouts short and intense (or brutal ). Thats where the growth kicks in.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:05   #2567
BHPian

Hi guys,

As mentioned above, I bought Opti-men (90 tablets) from Neulife store last week, and seems like I'm allergic to some component of this multi-vitamin.
This bottle is going to get wasted . So, if anyone themselves or friends interested in getting it, then surely they are welcome and can PM me for the same. ( I've used only 3 tablets till now)
Old 5th July 2010, 18:52   #2568
BHPian

So after putting on a decent amount of muscle I now need to start cutting.

I have already lost some fat in the past month but not as much as I would like to.

I need a good cutting VEGETARIAN diet (no eggs).
Currently I am continuing doing my regualar lifting 3 days a week and the other three i am doing interval training anf fucntional training. I take protein supps twice a day and glutamine to prevent muscle loss and boost recovery.

Does anyone have a good cutting diet or suggestions for me?
Old 6th July 2010, 08:34   #2569
BHPian

stay away from "cutters" and "burners", unless you plan on competing in 'Mr. XYZ'.

Manage your carbs well and keep hydration a priority through the day.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:16   #2570
BHPian

is anyone following a martial arts routine for fitness? I recently tried krav maga. Turned out to be my kind of thing!
Old 6th July 2010, 12:11   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
is anyone following a martial arts routine for fitness? I recently tried krav maga. Turned out to be my kind of thing!
I too am interested in Krav maga. DO let us know the duration of training and the costs involved.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:17   #2572
BHPian

Our friend Samurai, Practices Martial Arts. I am sure he will be able to give some inputs in Krav Maga in Bangalore.
Old 6th July 2010, 20:30   #2573
Team-BHP Support

My current work routine doesn't let join any training these days. I keep travelling between Bangalore and Manipal every week. I am left with solo training.

Krav Maga is a very good fitness training as well as very good self defense system unlike most other martial arts. But for any martial arts, finding the right teacher is more than half the battle. Many places it is doled out like commodity or group session.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:56   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
stay away from "cutters" and "burners", unless you plan on competing in 'Mr. XYZ'.

Manage your carbs well and keep hydration a priority through the day.
Oh ya, I dont take any of those cutters and burners, tried them once does not work for meand even if it did, I have learned that there is no better fat burner than a good workout and diet plan.

Martial arts is a good way, what about boxing? or atleast practicing on the heavy bag?

Also any diet suggestions???
Old 9th July 2010, 12:52   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am interested.
Where did you try this?
Old 9th July 2010, 19:15   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
I practice martial arts once-twice a week as I have a background in karate as a kid It keeps me flexible and keeps my workouts interesting!

Krav maga sounds very interesting
Old 9th July 2010, 19:58   #2577
BHPian

I am extremely skinny and just bought a 3Kg box of Ultimate nutrition's muscle juice, been working out regularly since a month, i hope it shows up

Anyone has any good exercises for skinny people ?
Old 9th July 2010, 20:09   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
I am extremely skinny and just bought a 3Kg box of Ultimate nutrition's muscle juice, been working out regularly since a month, i hope it shows up

Anyone has any good exercises for skinny people ?
Hey man - i was 50 kilos (5'10") when I started out 12-13 years ago. I used no supplements then but diligently worked out everyday and ate a lot I used to make protein shakes at home - 5-6 eggs + milk + flavouring, as well as ate a lot of bananas. Within 4-5 years I grew from 50 to 65 kgs and now I stay between 70-74 kilos.
I would recommend strong emphasis on basic exercises - get the technique right with light weights and then move onto heavy weights till you plateau (can't go up anymore). You will hit plateaus once every few months and constant changes in muscle combinations or reps, etc will help you get past those.
Bench presses, full a** to the grass squats (causes body to release growth hormone due to large muscles involved), shoulder presses, pull ups (sets of reps to failure till you hit 50 total reps), clean and press, deadlifts both sldl and bent knee, are some of the compound movements you need to look at. Ofcourse you still will have some basic movements like curls, tricep presses, calf raises, leg curls, etc. You could combine muscle groups into groups of 2 - chest and triceps, shoulder and forearms, back and biceps, legs and lower back, and have a 4 day workout. Abs can be treated as a regular muscle and twice a week is good enough.
Cardio is only for warm up - 5-6 mins before and after workout. Make sure you stretch all your muscles after every workout and hold each stretch for 20-30secs.
Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by jassi : 9th July 2010 at 20:12.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:40   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I practice martial arts once-twice a week as I have a background in karate as a kid It keeps me flexible and keeps my workouts interesting!

Krav maga sounds very interesting
And addictive to boot... Much like bodybuilding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Am interested.
Where did you try this?
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Krav Maga is a very good fitness training as well as very good self defense system unlike most other martial arts.

"But for any martial arts, finding the right teacher is more than half the battle. Many places it is doled out like commodity ...
Alot like formal education in this country, then! And totttallyy agreed. Avoid overconfident trainers, avoid letting poseurs train you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I too am interested in Krav maga. DO let us know the duration of training and the costs involved.
Alright! ...

google 'krav maga india' or 'ikmf'. Or see if vickykapoor.com throws up something. There are 4 centres in the NCR region. I'll recommend gurgaon, noida and headquarters@ saket, for I have trained with these trainers- Shashi and Anuj.
Shashi is a gem (though talks a little too much for the hourly charge :P )

fees and schedules are listed on the website. I've been there for a month and a half, @HQ- saket, and will rejoin in noida @MBD Radisson when my back heals (injury was a pre-existing condition).

I've had some exposure to tae-kwon-do as a kid. After krav-maga, other martial arts seem antiquated; KM has a very steep learning curve, I learnt alot in a very short time. (opt for the weekend batch ONLY if you can't attend during the week)

Krav maga suits my definition of self defense (also applicable to soccer)- attack is the best, nay, only defense.

There are other centres throughout India, call Shashi Dharani if your city isn't listed on the site.

Disclaimer: it is a dangerous art; use extreme caution while training. I cannot be held responsible for consequences arising out of application of techniques.

I recommend women, especially those in the 13-33 age group, go through at least the first two stages of the course (6 months, roughly). If I could, I'd make it mandatory for school going girls, given the hopeless rate of crime against women...
Old 10th July 2010, 11:53   #2580
Team-BHP Support

If you have seen the movie Enough, then you have seen Krav Maga in action.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th July 2010 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks