Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 16:19   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

So my brother's biceps measured 12" in 2012. He started working out, did so for about 4-5 months, had a shoulder injury and tore a major tendon (or ligament, not sure).

His last measurement was at ~14" in mid-2013. He's gone back to ~12.5" as I write this.

Otherwise also, he looked pretty buff earlier and not so now. May be its just psychological but he did look better earlier and now a lot leaner.
Old 28th March 2014, 16:58   #3587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I was taking a cue from increased insulin levels due to absence of glucose in blood for a long time and muscle-tissue breakdown - protein to glucose. Not sure when it happens, whats the extent of it but what I do find true is that folks who gain lean mass and stop supplying their body with adequate proteins like they did earlier, the muscle breaks down eventually and whatever they gained during the workout phase is gone.

This has happened to my brother also who is currently eating more than what he was while working out but the moment he stepped off the whey protein his muscles started depleting and he's back to looking like before.
Actually when you don't eat carbs for long time your insulin levels will be relaxed (but never absent because of the next para) since there is already a deficit of glucose.

During such periods you have hormone glucagon which converts the stored glycogen in your liver and muscles to glucose. Thus you really never should have low blood sugar levels ever!

Hence, where does the question of breaking down the muscles to feed the muscles arise? Its all broscience, don't get suckered into it!

Also I am not sure what is happening in your brother's case but do note that increased water retention in muscles cause them to look larger. To do a correct analysis we would need to know what ALL has changed - carbs? what was in the protein powder? creatine? perhaps he has changed his workout philosophy?

It is physically impossible to lose muscles in weeks time (unless you are starving = no food for week). Do you know the best test to determine whether you are losing muscles or have you actually lost water/pump/crap/etc?

Its the lifting loads. Lets say you were able to lift 70 kg on bench press for 5 reps, and can perform the same feat now also - you haven't lost a gram of your hard earned muscles of your deltoids, pectorals and triceps. I can assure you.

*This test is not applicable for higher reps where you start feeling the burn in your muscle.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th March 2014 at 17:01.
Old 28th March 2014, 17:53   #3588
BHPian

I can vouch from my experience that the change in muscle size you see when you get off Whey is the decreased water retention. And this sudden increase in size when you switch over to Whey protein from natural proteins is also due to Water retention. One of the reasons why Whey is the most successfully marketed products out there.

And there is absolutely no detrimental effect if you have an intermittent fasting once or twice in a week. The whole idea of taking too much care for your body is pointless.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 13:12   #3589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
I can vouch from my experience that the change in muscle size you see when you get off Whey is the decreased water retention. And this sudden increase in size when you switch over to Whey protein from natural proteins is also due to Water retention.
Water retention and whey... I am not sure this is the case. Whey is not different from any other form of protein except that it is fast digesting. Like any other protein it is also converted into amino acids before absorption.

As far as I know the only supplement that has direct relationship with water retention is creatinine.
Old 30th March 2014, 08:48   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

is there any home equipment available to do a back squat barbell exercise?
It's difficult to load a barbell on the back without a stand etc.

Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 12:20   #3591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello, is there any home equipment available to do a back squat barbell exercise? It's difficult to load a barbell on the back without a stand etc.
My bench has two handles for chest dips. I use it for squats as well.

As far as your query is concerned, yes, squat stands for home are available. Last time when I had checked in, around two years ago it was for 3000/-. I was also informed that he can even fabricate one for me, using car rims for the 2 stands.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:37   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Water retention and whey... I am not sure this is the case. Whey is not different from any other form of protein except that it is fast digesting. Like any other protein it is also converted into amino acids before absorption.

As far as I know the only supplement that has direct relationship with water retention is creatinine.
If I am not mistaken creatinine is a byproduct. I believe you are talking about creatine. And more specifically creatine monohydrate (creapure) which I have found to be cheap and most effective.
Old 1st April 2014, 14:42   #3593
BHPian

Hi guys, Is there a shop in Bangalore where I can buy good quality olympic bar and plates of different weights at reasonable price. I found lots of stuff online but not sure about the quality. So if you have bought online and satisfied with the quality please recommend that too.

Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 15:21   #3594
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
If I am not mistaken creatinine is a byproduct. I believe you are talking about creatine. And more specifically creatine monohydrate (creapure) which I have found to be cheap and most effective.
Sorry. My oversight. Creatine Monohydrate is the thing.
Old 1st April 2014, 17:56   #3595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my brother's biceps measured 12" in 2012. He started working out, did so for about 4-5 months, had a shoulder injury and tore a major tendon (or ligament, not sure).

His last measurement was at ~14" in mid-2013. He's gone back to ~12.5" as I write this.

Otherwise also, he looked pretty buff earlier and not so now. May be its just psychological but he did look better earlier and now a lot leaner.
I tend to agree with you. I have never used supplements and i am not a gym freak either.

I used to gym on and off during 2008 and i never gained. By 2010 i put on some weight and started gym in August 2010. Left the Gym in 2011 March and i am leaner than i was in 2010 and have lost muscle or you can say my muscle have depleted.
Old 18th April 2014, 20:22   #3596
BHPian

Quote:
The downside of ordering any protein powder online is that one isn't sure what batch the product is from, its expiry date, genuine or not etc.

I had almost finalized my orders on healthkart.com but then another bhpian came to my rescue and suggested Neulife stores. I had one nearby my residence and went straight to it. They are the authorized distributors for a lot of brands (including ON). I'd suggest you go visit their store.

http://www.neulife.in/storelocator.aspx?stype=1

Did you get a better price than healthkart?
Old 17th May 2014, 02:30   #3597
Senior - BHPian

Very curious here - been thinking about adding protein to my diet - as a veggie, for weight loss. We had tried Amway's Nutrilite basis some quick google but oh jeez, its like insoluble tasteless chalk.

Any other recommendations that are nice tasting?

Silly question but none of them comes in a small sachet (even if expensive) that you can taste first? Seeing their MRP makes one wonder what if its crap.

or any store in chennai where one can try (on a paid basis) before buying?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th May 2014, 04:19   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very curious here - been thinking about adding protein to my diet - as a veggie, for weight loss. We had tried Amway's Nutrilite basis some quick google but oh jeez, its like insoluble tasteless chalk.

Silly question but none of them comes in a small sachet (even if expensive) that you can taste first? Seeing their MRP makes one wonder what if its crap.

or any store in chennai where one can try (on a paid basis) before buying?

Thanks in advance.
If you want to go all natural without adding fat then nothing is better than milk. I drink a lot of skim milk and try to keep off the artificial sources because nobody knows what you are getting out of them. Go for nestle or Amul slim milk with around 1-2% fat and that counts to 2g in 1litre and around 28g of protein. That is what I would recommend
Old 19th May 2014, 18:27   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Amway's Nutrilite basis some quick google but oh jeez, its like insoluble tasteless chalk.

Nutrilte is veru expensive at close to 2K for 500 Gms, It does not have any flavor ,but there are flavored ones available on the market.
I have never heard of free samples in India.
Old 19th May 2014, 22:20   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
If you want to go all natural without adding fat then nothing is better than milk. I drink a lot of skim milk and try to keep off the artificial sources because nobody knows what you are getting out of them. Go for nestle or Amul slim milk with around 1-2% fat and that counts to 2g in 1litre and around 28g of protein. That is what I would recommend
Interesting. I was thinking more like 50-70gm early in the morning, as per a new diet plan. Now 2.75 L of milk isnt what I want to be drinking I share your concerns on the protein but i'm hoping there are tasty trusted brands - or am I being simply hopeful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Nutrilte is veru expensive at close to 2K for 500 Gms, It does not have any flavor ,but there are flavored ones available on the market.
I have never heard of free samples in India.
i was asking for paid samples. Better spend 100-200 bucks on a sample than 5-6k for the product! The consistency of nutrilite is terrible as well. Its like chalk - barely dissolves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks