Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 13:36   #3541
BANNED

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Has anyone tried for a 6-pack abs? Pl share your experiences, the diet, the exercises, the process and the pain!

I am not exactly interested in having a 6-pack but definitely want to lower my fat percentage to single digit. So far this has been a struggle.

The numbers so far
2 years ago (Aug) - 61 kg - 30"
Last year (Mar) - 68.5 kg - 34.5"
Last year (Oct) - 65 kg – 29.75"
This year (Mar) - 69 kg - 32"

Fat percentage has ranged from 15 to 21 according to calculators on Internet.

My ideal weight range is 64-70. Waist size has been taken at the maximum girth area, which is little below the navel.

As you would see that through a blend of exercise, diet and cardio I have been able to achieve results but that slight bulge on the stomach, so far it has defied every attempt.

Last edited by anandjha : 13th March 2014 at 13:39.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:37   #3542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Has anyone tried for a 6-pack abs? Pl share your experiences, the diet, the exercises, the process and the pain!

I am not exactly interested in having a 6-pack but definitely want to lower my fat percentage to single digit. So far this has been a struggle.

The numbers so far
2 years ago (Aug) - 61 kg - 30"
Last year (Mar) - 68.5 kg - 34.5"
Last year (Oct) - 65 kg – 29.75"
This year (Mar) - 69 kg - 32"

Fat percentage has ranged from 15 to 21 according to calculators on Internet.

My ideal weight range is 64-70. Waist size has been taken at the maximum girth area, which is little below the navel.

As you would see that through a blend of exercise, diet and cardio I have been able to achieve results but that slight bulge on the stomach, so far it has defied every attempt.
Check this out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2343570
Old 13th March 2014, 15:25   #3543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Single digit fat percentage means you will be looking like Bruce Lee. Is is possible to achieve that?
Old 13th March 2014, 16:11   #3544
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Thanks. But the diet plan... I mean it's killing. ~1300 cal for 5 months will take heavy toll, even if you include high carb days. It is way below the resting metobolic rate of roughly 1600 cal. Even the best cutting cycle doesn't go for more than 4-6 weeks. And it is only during last 2 weeks it is suggested to bring calories to this level.

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Single digit fat percentage means you will be looking like Bruce Lee. Is is possible to achieve that?
Yes it is possible. But the figure I have in mind is 9% and maintain it around 11-12%. To show your 6 packs you need to go around, correct me if I am wrong, 4%.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:10   #3545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes it is possible. But the figure I have in mind is 9% and maintain it around 11-12%. To show your 6 packs you need to go around, correct me if I am wrong, 4%.
Unless it is a professional requirement, it is not worth the effort. You will spend so much time in the gym and do sacrifices in the kitchen.
Old 13th March 2014, 17:49   #3546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is possible, but long and hard journey.
But whether you will look like Bruce Lee or Somalian at that low level of body fat is determined mostly by genetics and some effects of training.
Quote:
Thanks. But the diet plan... I mean it's killing. ~1300 cal for 5 months will take heavy toll, even if you include high carb days. It is way below the resting metobolic rate of roughly 1600 cal. Even the best cutting cycle doesn't go for more than 4-6 weeks. And it is only during last 2 weeks it is suggested to bring calories to this level.

Thanks a lot.

To show six pack you need to be near about 10% BF.
10-15% is healthy for a male.
4% is what professional bodybuilders seek to achieve and stay there for a week or month max (extremely unhealthy and damaging to testosterone).

But the issue with 10-15% figure is that someone having higher Body fat % can have more perceivable abs, and I may be 5%, but still not have that "desirable" 6 pack. The structure and size of the underlying rectus abdominis (muscle) determines this (which is partly genetic and partly training).

~1500 kcal daily consumption is what the balpark figure I have seen for almost anyone trying to achieve the 6-pack.
Anyone = who never had it during the teenage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Unless it is a professional requirement, it is not worth the effort. You will spend so much time in the gym and do sacrifices in the kitchen.
Hahaha, succinctly put, but in my honest opinion visible "two pack" (upper abs at the ribs) is something that is achievable without going unhealthy.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th March 2014 at 17:57.
Old 13th March 2014, 18:44   #3547
BHPian

Michael Phelps eats over 12,000 calories a day and sports a 6-Pack.
6-Pack Abs DO NOT depend on overall calorie intake but it's the intensity of your workouts daily and subsequently your BMR which decides your overall calorie intake and still sport a 6-Pack.
At 1500 Calories a day, Eat CLEN and TREN Hard.
1-Testosterone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 19:00   #3548
BANNED

Quote:
True. But at times one wishes just for the heck of it. That's why I am aiming for a 6 week cycle this time with only last 2 weeks of extremely low calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To show six pack you need to be near about 10% BF.10-15% is healthy for a male.

~1500 kcal daily consumption is what the balpark figure I have seen for almost anyone trying to achieve the 6-pack. Anyone = who never had it during the teenage.
Thanks. You really know a lot. As far 1500 cal is concerned my experiences with diet for waist (fat) loss has been little different. I start off with 1800 cal and in 1 month lose around 1 inch. Then plateau sets in. Probably because metabolism has slowed down. I jack up my calories to 2100 and continue losing about 0.75" per month. After few months when boredom sets in I switch over to bulking cycle.
Old 13th March 2014, 19:06   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, when I left gym last year in Feb I was at 8% body fat. And it's not tough to achieve with right training and diet.
Old 13th March 2014, 23:32   #3550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you want Bruce Lee's physique? Details are here:

http://www.amazon.in/Expressing-Huma.../dp/0804831297
Old 14th March 2014, 13:11   #3551
BHPian

So guys, many must be using gym gloves while lifting right?
I am done with torturing my calluses and do not intend to harden or tear them up further, looks quite bad out of the "Gym Circle".
So, any suggestions for a good pair of lifting gloves?

Thank You in advance.

-Bhargav
Old 14th March 2014, 15:04   #3552
BANNED

Quote:
Do you want Bruce Lee's physique? Details are here:
It's incredible. An eye opener. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
So guys, many must be using gym gloves while lifting right?
I am done with torturing my calluses and do not intend to harden or tear them up further, looks quite bad out of the "Gym Circle".
So, any suggestions for a good pair of lifting gloves?
Though I dont use gloves, I have seen some fundoo pairs (gel filled etc.) at Neulife here in Delhi. You can try the Neulife store in Mumbai.

Last edited by anandjha : 14th March 2014 at 15:05.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:03   #3553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Michael Phelps eats over 12,000 calories a day and sports a 6-Pack.
6-Pack Abs DO NOT depend on overall calorie intake but it's the intensity of your workouts daily and subsequently your BMR which decides your overall calorie intake and still sport a 6-Pack.
At 1500 Calories a day, Eat CLEN and TREN Hard.
Hahaha, I did mention that low calories is for someone who never had 6 packs ever (which means genetically you are either predisposed to being fat, or predisposed to being non muscular, or both). Training can improve this situation to some extent only.

So this means you may either end up looking like Bruce Lee or like a Somalian mainly based on the genetics.
Old 16th March 2014, 17:50   #3554

Anyone in Bombay who's looking for very good quality 80% Whey Protein Concentrate imported from America? The price is very low but the catch is I have to buy at least 33 lbs at once. I dont need so much and hence, looking for a few people to share this with and split the product and costs. I can take upto 15 lbs or so. Pl drop me a pm if anyone's interested. Thx.
Old 16th March 2014, 21:16   #3555

Slightly offtopic question:

Are there any sports events and competitions at state, national & international levels for Senior Citizens only, specifically in athletics and weight lifting..? Any pointers will be useful. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks