Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 12:38   #2791
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Pls see my remarks inline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
I am a 'real working man'; for the past 8 years; and still find time to work all day and deliver. Since now I workout at night, my day looks like:

7-7:30am: wake up
8-8:15am breakfast: oats + 1 scoop whey + multi + fruit
11am snack: fruit or eggs + toast
2pm lunch: home food + 1 scoop whey + fish oil pills etc
5:30pm snack: salad or boiled eggs or protein bar
8:30 preworkout: 1 scoop + milk or curd + aminos
10-10:30pm postworkout: 2 scoops whey + aminos + home food + fish oil pills etc
11-11:30pm: hit the sack

What can I say, I am a fast eater and still practical. The pantry is fully catering and we have a full fledged food court, so the prep is ruled out on almost everything since I'm not the one cooking. My lunch takes the longest at 30 minutes since it's with the team. However if you have calculated it at 2 hours per day then I guess I can afford that luxury.

All said, I can count the number of guys I've come across who were bigger than me, or lifted more than me, or both, and it requires a bit keeping it that way.

Forefathers were thousands of years ago too; neither did they have as big traps then nor the means to get that much food. The human body and form has far since evolved and it wouldn't be fair comparing us to them.

I agree on this.

That said, I feel you will not take anything from my experience, as you have your set of thorough opinions & assumptions and continue asking/retorting/assuming things which I'm starting to feel is to mock and shows lack of respect; so I'm done answering your queries/ remarks. This post however is for those whom it might help.

Mandheers, my set of opinions and assumptions are from my experience of working out, eating etc. My intention was never to mock, and not any kind of lack of respect. I apologize if I sounded that way.
I lift weight, and I know as well as anybody that this is one sport in which you can grow only when you experiment and listen and take in everybody's suggestions. From each of your post, I have taken note of several points to take in, but I am entitled of my opinions and remarks I believe. Eg. From this post I noticed fish oil pills at lunch too, and have realized it is a good option. I have never worked in a place from where I can get fruits, eggs, salads in good shape on demand from the cafeteria. Not seen many places too, so there goes the reasoning for my previous posts.

Anyways, when it comes to lifting, no discussion, no argument has ever been useless for me. Thanks for the information you shared, and its unfortunate if my language was not good enough. It is not intentional.

Old 7th March 2011, 18:15   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Pls see my remarks inline.
I don't mind opinions, anybody can state facts, it is having opinions that count, but the only problem is assumptions.

Anyways, if you want to continue improving your strength you have to eat, eat and eat right. That's the reason I give more weightage to nutrition.

I would advise you invest in a cereal, ideally preworkout since you train mornings. It can be hard initially for a few days to train after a small meal, unless you already do.

Postworkout nutrition needs no explaining; unless you feel it could be better.

For the day get fruits, apples/bananas/pears/papaya (but papaya needs prep and goes bad sooner); get eggs; get soyabean chunks/nuggets; get paneer; get nuts; and whey/protein blend of course.

You can carry 2 apples/pears with you; boil soya nuggets and eggs (without peeling) to carry they, don't go bad until late evening; take raw paneer; pistachios are the best nuts for an evening snack and whey can be stocked in your office drawer in a small container or a scoop taken in a shaker.
Get portions of vegetables, chapattis and pulses (daal and kidney beans etc) if you have access to lunch or if you take food from home.

That's what helps get by a day and ensure quality nutrition too.

Try sticking to a tighter diet on days you train; will help recovery and you will get back stronger to the gym.

I will also advise: work for a living; not the other way around. Don't let anything get in the way of what you enjoy doing; let it only help.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:46   #2793
Senior - BHPian

How many ppl here "indulge" in periodization?
Old 7th March 2011, 20:18   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have, loosely, and way back. Now that you remind me of it I actually might try some again.

Best way to work both slow and fast twitch well and break plateau.

Here's a link: Bodybuilding.com - How Can Periodization Be Used To Increase The Effectiveness Of One's Workouts?

I'm running 32 now and have actually started seeing problems with definition and quality; size and strength are no issue whatsoever; but enough reason to try whatever comes my way.

Will be reading through myself.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:56   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you invest in a cereal, ideally preworkout since you train mornings. It can be hard initially for a few days to train after a small meal, unless you already do.
Do you mean regular cereals like Muesli or anything specific?

PS: Bangy guys, any idea where to source ISO Sensation 93 from? Not getting it @ any place near Indiranagar
Old 8th March 2011, 00:14   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do you mean regular cereals like Muesli or anything specific?

PS: Bangy guys, any idea where to source ISO Sensation 93 from? Not getting it @ any place near Indiranagar
Any cereal's just fine. I used to take corn flakes and now stick to a bowl of oats for morning workouts with one or half scoop whey + aminos.

Varies from person to person and even some of my friends workout empty stomach (mornings); or on fast carbs; or simply on a protein shake. See what works best for you and your individual goals.

Try Hypercity in Bangalore near Brooke Field, they are stockists for Ultimate + Dymatize + IsoPure + BSN + Labrada and Optimum products. IsoSensation is the best protein money can buy, on all counts.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:44   #2797
BHPian

@ mandheers, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:58   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I do something like a periodization -- not sure if it qualifies to be periodization actually.

I do 5X5 for my big lifts. Increase of 5kg per workout. With squats, I had the first plateau at 1Xbodyweight. I have hit plateaus every 10kg from there on, so almost in every 3rd workout, I am stuck at the 3rd rep of first set, struggling to go up.
What I do is deload to 80% of the weight, and do 10X3 for the next workouts, until I reach the weight.

Eg. Hit a plateau at 75 Kg. Completed 70 at 5X5 perfectly, but was struggling to complete 3 reps for 75kg. Deloaded to 60 Kg, and did 10X3 for the next work out. 65- 10X3 the next, 70- 10X3 the next, 75 - 10X3 the next and then 75 - 5X5 the next.
Hit the plateau again in two weeks at 90 Kg, and now in 80 - 10X3 phase. Will reach 90 in two weeks.

Another small tip is to not stop the workout when you are failing to lift mid way. Eg. when I come in to do 90 Kg and 5X5, and cannot finish 5 reps, I try one more time. Then i switch over to Leg press and go real heavy -- its a plateau and I cant squat more, but I am not exhausted. So I do 3X8 on all leg exercises like Leg press, lunges, split squats etc, with some heavy numbers. I dont log these, but I have seen that it helps add some size for me.

This thing works for me for bench press too. Never had to periodize in Deadlift till now. First time I got stuck I went barefoot and it worked. Second time, I brought in chalk powder for better grip and that worked too. So not sure if this 10X3 works for deadlift.

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 8th March 2011 at 15:59.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:32   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
I found some strength training PDFs in my folders, will post them for everyone.
Bring it on .

@Ashok - Useful info for people who think what to do next after reaching max weights and cant do more reps.

Last edited by brraj : 8th March 2011 at 16:56.
Old 14th March 2011, 17:33   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try Hypercity in Bangalore near Brooke Field, they are stockists for Ultimate + Dymatize + IsoPure + BSN + Labrada and Optimum products. IsoSensation is the best protein money can buy, on all counts.
Thanks, picked up a 2lb tub. Damage Rs. 2509
Old 15th March 2011, 16:07   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Helpme loose some wait:)

Once upon a time i used to be one among the fitness freaks, making sure i religiously worked out with some running but as time passed i left all those behind. so as a result and thanks to the bad life style my weight has crossed 90(am 6ft tall) and giving all signs of touching/crossing 100 if i dont do anything now and to top it all body aint feeling fit..

so what should i do to get myself back on track...

Gym, ruled out as i dont have the patience as before..
Running, i cant do it now.
Walking, dont seem to be working
Yoga, seems to be good as long term...
Cycling, presntly looks very promising, can use it for my work and other activities there by giving more work out..

Experts please advise, however i would love to try Marshal arts but i need to go to the right guru, Samuri sir any info here??
Old 15th March 2011, 17:05   #2802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IsoSensation is the best protein money can buy, on all counts.
Is this ISO Sensation 93? How are you saying that its the best?

Not trying to question you (ofcourse I am!) but just want to know of any facts. These damn products claim everything!
Old 15th March 2011, 17:09   #2803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks, picked up a 2lb tub. Damage Rs. 2509
Holy crap! Isnt that like very expensive?! The 10 lbs tub of Dymatize works out to like 3.5k, doesnt it?
Old 15th March 2011, 19:27   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Lets see something new.I know most will puke! I did too.But what has made it worth seeing are the captions under each of the pics.hahahaha!

Login | Facebook
Old 15th March 2011, 22:37   #2805
BHPian

OT: How does one end up with such a disproportionate body?

One thing I want to get cleared out is whether cardio is more effective if done before or after weight training? Have read contradicting reports. Honestly, I prefer it between weight training as a rest break.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks