Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:37   #2731
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Narayan, only one destination and that is bodybuilding.com, you get the cheapest supplements online. Let him order and get it for you.

PPS : I will talk about myself, i watch motivational videos on simplyshredded.com. I imagine in my head what i want to look like and work towards it. Short term goals that are achievable without changing my lifestyle too much (read Daily routine).

note : i am not associated with any of the above mentioned sites.
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:05   #2732
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sohail

also while going through this website, i noted that apart from Whey protein, another protein source is soy..

being a veggie , i am inclined to go for SOY PROTEIN POWDERS...

any reccos on this ? because all i see in most pages of this thread are reccos on WHEY PROTEINS
Old 24th February 2011, 10:28   #2733
BHPian

Whoah! What is this I see on TBHP?

A thread dedicated to Bodybuilding!!

I feel tempted to start answering.

Will give this a thorough read-down; hope the mods are doing their bit to keep this 'clean' too.

Guess I will also add to my signature: '99.8kgs @ 16% BF'

Last edited by mandheers : 24th February 2011 at 10:31. Reason: added meat
Old 24th February 2011, 10:54   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a photo I taken at a buffalo race. This guy is a buffalo race driver, not unlike Shumi, but paid lot less.

He developed these enviable set of muscles by running buffaloes in the slushy race track. These are purely functional muscles. I have seen such guys in our farms, they have never seen inside of a gym, but they work whole day lifting, cutting, pushing, pulling all kinds of stuff. And let's not even talk about supplements.

Attachment 467202

Attachment 467203
Came across this and thought I'd add in point here.

I have seen villages and villagers up close; and not all sport such physiques.

The regular Govt physician administers shots to these daily wage/ physical labours.

Their daily wage earner is their body; and if you go to any Govt Hospital; and I mean any; you will find many such young/ middle-aged who line up with complaints of "saheb bahut kamjori hoti hai, kaam nahi kar pa raha hoon" (translated: sir I feel very weak, unable to do work).

This work for them is the daily lifting, heaving, pulling, pushing or read pronating, supinating, eccentric, concentric, HVT, HIT et al.

These labourers are administered androgens and anabolic agents; in albeit a controlled environment; by a registered and qualified practitioner. They are given way low doses than would cause an Arnold effect. And these are also the bottom rung stuff readily available OTC at chemists even; just that they don't have to shell out big bucks for this at a Govt setup in a village.

Given their light diets and 3 'square' meals; they never have any issues at their frame.

All they need to do is go for a shot for a couple of weeks, and they are on their way.

It's the same case in bigger cities if you know a good doctor who would advise you on such 'cycles' but then where's the fun in such training.

The labourers dont 'do' it for sporting an 8 pack; but for putting food in front of their families. Leave alone that, they dont do it out of choice either, it is just a very small cycle administered by doctors and the villagers dont even know what it is. I mean, they're just happy with the results.

No offence, hope none taken. That said I strongly abhor use of such 'help' for the enthusiast; professional lifters are each to their own.
Old 24th February 2011, 13:05   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Alright Gents,
As some of you may know, I worked out pretty solid for a couple of years trying to put on mass and weight........

Any other places in that area that may have a better selection and pricing?

Look forward to your opinions / responses.

Cheers,
V
It is always great to see people returning to iron.

Your schedule's fine; could tweak it a bit though. I'm no expert, but your Delts get hit on both Chest and Back days; invariably. So if you want a broader set of shoulders; I'd recommend:

Mon: Chest & Tri's + abs
Tue: Rest Day
Wed:Back & Biceps + lower back
Thu: Rest
Fri: Shoulders + Legs + abs
Sat: Rest Day
Sun: Only squash / about 2 km's of running and abs.

This will not only aid recovery but get you building mass sooner.

You are doing the best thing a bodybuilder could expect: getting sleep post workout; remember this is the time your repair and growth happens. It's all about what you do outside of gym that counts.

Animal Pak is a essentially a foul-smelling multivitamin supplement which works like magic! I would suggest you take this anywhere after your lunch ad before your workout; it is superb.

As for Extreme NO2; I have not heard of it but am assuming it would be spiked with caffeine since almost all nitric oxide supplements are pre-workout. Totally avoid any such supplement with caffeine etc since you workout at night. Any caffeine ingested post 6pm will interfere with your sleep. Hence please check.

On Whey/ Casein: the time immediately postworkout is your 'anabolic window'; think of it as your body being a sponge; your muscles more so. If here you ingest good quality, Class A, predigested proteins you stand a better chance of quality muscle.

Casein takes longer to break down and is a time-release protein which takes upto 12 hours. The 'anabolic window' is 1 hour tops; you do the math.

What I recommend is you continue IsoPure; another great alternative is IsoSensation93. You could mix a scoop of Casein with your Whey protein as a post workout shake. This should both take care of your 'anabolic window' and see you through the night.

The way I see it; a scoop of IsoPure wll get you 25gms protein and so will a scoop of ON's Casein. This should well add up to a good 50gms of fast+slow digesting proteins and make one solid postworkout shake.

Another bit I would recommend for those training at night is to do cardio early mornings; yes the next day (on rest days, but nowhere close to Leg day); 2-3 days of moderate to high intensity cardio; nothing long distance please. Or do 20-30 minutes of it postworkout at night.

Lift away!

Last edited by mandheers : 24th February 2011 at 13:06. Reason: typo
Old 25th February 2011, 12:39   #2736
BHPian

I just did my BMI yest after 4 months, the results are promising and I am happy to achieve a lean body which was my target, I have lost 2 kgs of fat in layman terms.

My question is how do i proceed further to achieve my goal for a bit of muscle gain overall and most importantly tightness of my muscles with no loose fat whatsoever. I am a eggetarian and have never taken any protein supplements except through my meals.

Now a close friend who has a good physique recomended me to take labrada which is a meal replacement after my work-out, I want to know if this will not bulk me up drastically and if there are any true benefits in helping me achieve my second goal as mentioned above.

With all the experience that you guys have had in bodybuilding please share your thoughts at the earliest, much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 25th February 2011, 14:51   #2737
Senior - BHPian

Guys
could you please advise me on which is a better protein supplement - whey or soy ?
Old 25th February 2011, 15:10   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
could you please advise me on which is a better protein supplement - whey or soy ?
Hi Narayan, your query was directed to Sohail; hence I thought best to let him revert.

However; Whey is a far popular protein source and since there have been far many refinements and advancements (on filtration etc processes) made in Whey to make it better suited for bodybuilders.

Soy is also a great quality protein; pretty much at par with whey. It is the protein of choice for non-animal protein diets. Soy is also for the lactose intolerant.

So it is totally your call; look up the brands/ options available and their protein content per gram. (serving size compared to grams of protein per serving)

Whey needs no introduction on this thread, or elsewhere. Personally, my brother is a hardcore vegetarian; way ahead of me in terms of size, strength and results; and he relies on Whey alone.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:21   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I just did my BMI yest after 4 months, the results are promising and I am happy to achieve a lean body which was my target..... please share your thoughts at the earliest, much appreciated.

Cheers
MRPs have higher carb ratios to protein and moreover they also have a 'proprietary' protein blend; and that applies to all MRPs unless it is a low carb alternate. This blend could include whey as primary source followed by casein, egg albumen, soy etc.

The only thing to be consumed post workout is good quality protein from good quality source; preferably with higher isolates. I have covered that in my previous post; so plz scroll below.

That said, an MRP as the name suggests is a Meal Replacement ad could double up as a post workout shake if you workout at night and are prepared to eat a very small/ no meal.

I love carbs; and have nothing against them but it is not 'blends' which are recommended immediately postworkout; again unless you are working out at night.

The 'tightness' is all pump and that's what lifters live for. Try a preworkout NitricOxide or Creatine product for the pump; but mind you: the body is not meant to be in a 'tight' state all the time or even pver extended times; hence it is normal for muscles to revert to normalcy post workout. Don't let that dishearten you though; tomorrow is another workout day.

Have fun!

Last edited by mandheers : 25th February 2011 at 15:22. Reason: details
Old 25th February 2011, 15:57   #2740
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Whey anyday. Stay away from Soy if you can cos there are numerous studies proving Soy tampers with testosterone and works up estrogen.
Here is a link from BB.com. There are numerous links out there which explains the theory.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...age=soyprotein

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 25th February 2011 at 16:01.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:09   #2741
BHPian

Mandheer : Anyone can answer anyone's query brother all in good faith as long as its helping to reach the goal.

Narayan : whey is the way to go.

TheSaint : why do u want to take meal replacements as meals are important. Stay foodie as much as possible. Just my suggestion.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:18   #2742
BHPian

Lifters -- Help with Deadlifts programming

Which is the best set-rep scheme for deadlift ?

I do 5X5 once a week, and reached almost 1.5Xbody weight today. But now my grip is giving out before I finish 5 reps. 2nd rep onwards my fingers start hurting ( callus at the base of my fingers feel like tearing my skin off) and by 3rd rep, I am almost screaming.
I use chalk powder already, has helped holding on to the bar but doesnt ease the pain.

Should I start using a glove or so and continue for 5 reps or is there a better low rep scheme which can help ?

Goal : 3X bodyweight(2-years span)
Would really like an advice from somebody who's been there.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 25th February 2011 at 16:19.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:19   #2743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Whey anyday. Stay away from Soy if you can cos there are numerous studies proving Soy tampers with testosterone and works up estrogen.
scary man!!! thanks for this info..

sorry to the cattle world, have no choice but to steal more of your milk and build up my muscles..
Old 25th February 2011, 16:25   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
scary man!!! thanks for this info..

sorry to the cattle world, have no choice but to steal more of your milk and build up my muscles..
Well, dont be so scared ! There are studies both ways -- but since there are some evidences that soy will do this, why take chances?
When there is a safe 'whey' why go the 'Soy' way ?
Old 25th February 2011, 16:59   #2745
BHPian

Re: Lifters -- Help with Deadlifts programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Which is the best set-rep scheme for deadlift ?

I do 5X5 once a week, and reached almost 1.5Xbody weight today. But now my grip is giving out before I finish 5 reps. 2nd rep onwards my fingers start hurting ( callus at the base of my fingers feel like tearing my skin off) and by 3rd rep, I am almost screaming.
I use chalk powder already, has helped holding on to the bar but doesnt ease the pain.

Should I start using a glove or so and continue for 5 reps or is there a better low rep scheme which can help ?

Goal : 3X bodyweight(2-years span)
Would really like an advice from somebody who's been there.

Thanks for your help
My first question here would be: have you really seen progress in your back due to deadlifts, and I mean deadlifts alone?

If yes, then you are lucky; if not then welcome to the family.

Deadlift is a pure powerlifting movement and not intended to be of any use for bodybuilders; definitely not for fitness enthusiasts at anywhere close to the weight you pulling.

The max I have last deadlifted is 410lbs (45lbs x 8plates + 25lbs x 2plates), and this was before my back injury.

I still have a prolapsed disc issue; but that is not the only reason I stopped these stupid exercises. Deadlifts, Squats, Bent Overs etc. (there are many more) so called classic lifts are best done with proper form and moderate to heavy weight; if only; but never superheavy.

Guys always load up a bar just to see how much they can lift. That's not bodybuilding and; as with squats; many guys just aren't built for deadlifts.

The ideal shape is a short frame/ stature with relatively long arms, so this becomes a strength exercise that hits the glutes and legs as much as the back.

Try top deadlifts off a Smith machine or a rack, the trick’s to ensure the bar doesn't go below knee-level, that way you focus mostly on your back instead of legs, hips and glutes, you strain less and reduce the risk of injury.

But since you seems to have your goal set on 3X; I doubt if I would be able to deter you; but will still advise against it. I am 220lbs and cant see myself pulling 3X off the floor.

So, to answer your question: Use Harbingers (with hooks) or Schieks with regular straps; they work wonders to your lifts and grip but at 3X your weight it would mostly go to the wrist.

Lastly 4 x 4 is way better and sparing than 5 x 5. You will grow and so will your lift.

The other bit is to use plates of larger radius; this gives the bar a better height to be cleared off the floor and helps on gripwork; a thicker bar also works better. Thats what grips and gloves do basically too.

Be safe; and yes: scream regardless, it's fun at times.

Last edited by mandheers : 25th February 2011 at 17:33. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks