Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 16:06   #4201
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
LOL. Just want to see whether I can do it. Not even sure I have those ab muscles for the packs to show.
I was wondering about that. How did you build your abs? Are they weight bearing, I mean can you support weight on the abs while breathing normally?
Old 29th April 2016, 16:16   #4202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was wondering about that. How did you build your abs? Are they weight bearing, I mean can you support weight on the abs while breathing normally?
Nothing in particular, except for the assortments of measures one resorts to when one is fired up by the zeal. Yes, I have followed heavy weight training protocol, things like Max OT which, they say, also strengthens core.

Yes, I can. I had done after watching your post, was it last year or last to last year? My subject weighed 62 kgs or roundabout.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 29th April 2016 at 16:23.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:36   #4203
Team-BHP Support

Must be from early last year from the Team-BHP meet. Mine is developed using Farmer Burns stomach flattener and reverse flattener, which are breathing techniques. My max is 96kg, couldn't find a 100kg guy yet.
Old 29th April 2016, 19:36   #4204
BHPian

@v_2rahjo: Are your thyroid levels "normal"?
Old 30th April 2016, 08:39   #4205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@v_2rahjo: Are your thyroid levels "normal"?

Never had it checked. Went to the doc a few months back. He did not recommend. Do you feel it's the thyroid?
Old 1st May 2016, 07:16   #4206
BHPian

@v_2rahjo: Wouldn't hurt to get it tested, IMO. I've seen major changes in levels of fatigue in the past year's roller-coaster ride of my thyroid which is being attacked by own body (Hashimoto's)
Old 1st May 2016, 10:34   #4207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@v_2rahjo: Wouldn't hurt to get it tested, IMO. I've seen major changes in levels of fatigue in the past year's roller-coaster ride of my thyroid which is being attacked by own body (Hashimoto's)

Totally agree. I went to the doc after reading your reply and he said he does not feel its thyroid but asked me to test it once. He blames my sleep deprive schedule for this. I hardly sleep for around 4 hrs a day :(. He wants me to fix this first and then get my tests done.
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:51   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
using Farmer Burns stomach flattener and reverse flattener, which are breathing techniques.
From what I could make out reading around, the Farmer burns appear to be the exact same as Valsalva maneuver (closing the glottis) - used especially during deadlifting and squats, and also used instinctively by living creatures whenever someone is landing a punch or kick at the abdomen .

Can you please confirm my understanding about the Farmer thingie?

It's a good workout for the entire abdominal cage muscles, however I am not sure if it can result in "6-pack" or "8-pack" as such since the contraction is isometric.

Oh but ... well ... 6-packs and 8-packs are made only by Trenbolone. So I guess it doesn't matter what you do
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:40   #4209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
From what I could make out reading around, the Farmer burns appear to be the exact same as Valsalva maneuver (closing the glottis) - used especially during deadlifting and squats, and also used instinctively by living creatures whenever someone is landing a punch or kick at the abdomen .
I think it is the same, going by the description. To correct your understanding is bit, once you train your abs this way, it can be held tight all the time if you like. I don't have hold my breath to take a punch. I can keep it flexed all day if I want to. When I used do full-contact sparring in dojos, I didn't have to worry about gut kicks or punches, I could keep my tummy hard the entire time.

People find it hard to believe this part until they experience it themselves. So I generally make somebody stand on my stomach, and then talk to them when they are there, to show them I am breathing normally.

Actually I have trouble when a doctor asks me to loosen my abs. I have to make a very conscious effort, and still they are not happy. A Manipal doctor (BHPian) told me that in my case he can't diagnose anything by pressing my stomach, scanning is the only way.

Quote:
It's a good workout for the entire abdominal cage muscles, however I am not sure if it can result in "6-pack" or "8-pack" as such since the contraction is isometric.
No, it doesn't give 6-packs. May be I never tried hard enough. I do have some hanging gut, unless I really suck in. This breathing workout builds abs from the inside, while the outside can side have fat. I know that is a pedestrian explanation, but I don't know how to explain it better. It is like those FB meme, "my 6-pack is hidden under a layer of fat".
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:19   #4210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To correct your understanding is bit, once you train your abs this way, it can be held tight all the time if you like.
You are right, the abs will automatically hold that ways, one doesn't need to consciously "suck in the stomach".

Quote:
This breathing workout builds abs from the inside, while the outside can side have fat.
Yes, you are referring to the non visible muscles which are
Transverse Abdominals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transv...dominal_muscle)
and
Internal Olbiques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdomi...oblique_muscle)

Old 2nd May 2016, 18:43   #4211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, you are referring to the non visible muscles which are
Transverse Abdominals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transv...dominal_muscle)
and
Internal Olbiques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdomi...oblique_muscle)
Thanks for providing the technical details. You need many different types of ab crunches to target these group. And I am very scared of ab crunches of any kind, unless you get the form perfectly right, it results in lower back pain.

Meanwhile the farmer burns stomach flattener and reverse flattener can be done anywhere, anytime. You can do it while standing inside the bus/train, you may get some weird looks at your strange breathing pattern. It doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do a set of 10. I just do one set of each everyday. Initial few days you can feel dizzy while doing it. It goes away after a week.
Old 24th May 2016, 13:30   #4212
BHPian

Hi Guys, I'm new on this thread.

I used to go to the gym 5 times a week about 5 years ago to do some cardio and basic weights for fitness. I weighed 68 Kilos back then to my height of 5'7" and was using ON Gold Std Whey with water for my post-workout and Creatine Mono as my pre-workout. Haven't seen the insides of a gym in 5 years now, gained a lot of weight due to bad diet and lifestyle.

Four months ago, cleaned up my diet and started with a strict cardio routine and lost a few kilos. Now, I'm looking to get into a workout routine to start some basic weights and club some cardio with it 4-5 times per week to get back in shape.

Anyone from tBhp in and around Basaveshwaranagar/Rajajinagar/Vijaynagar has any leads on a good Gym in the area, please do let me know. Gold's Gym and Talwalkars are a stone's throw from my place, but they look quite pricey at over 20k per annum. Any other options that have good equipment, hygienic and good crowd, please suggest/advise.

Thanks.:-)
Old 25th May 2016, 15:13   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitish.h View Post
Hi Guys, I'm new on this thread.

Anyone from tBhp in and around Basaveshwaranagar/Rajajinagar/Vijaynagar hygienic and good crowd, please suggest/advise.

Thanks.:-)
You can try visiting SNAP fitness just next to the Rajajinagar Metro station (on WOC road) not so expensive compared to GOLD's
I do my workout in the evening
Old 28th May 2016, 12:23   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please suggest me about the below diet-

In breakfast - Either of one - a plate of sprouts or idli or Wada sambar or a plain paratha

During breaks/mid day post or pre lunch - a cup of coffee with half spoon of sugar along with biscuits

After 40-50 minutes of gym - in lunch
- (On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).
100 grams of paneer and a glass of mixed juice

-(On Wednesday and Friday)
Eight boiled eggs (white only) and a glass of juice.

Dinner - Normal home made dinner with vegetables or daal / rajma with three rotis.

On weekends - no gym and normal home made breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am not focussing on supplements yet and I have started proper training from last one month. I go to gym during my lunch hour in office. Primary focus is on building bigger biceps/triceps/shoulders/back and chest and flat tummy.

I do one body part each day like chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, shoulder on Wednesday, triceps on Thursday and biceps on Friday. Each day I do about 10 minutes of treadmill or cycling before starting exercises.
My current body weight is 80 and I am 6". Two months back I was 82-83. I sleep for 5-6 hours on working days and 7-8 hours on weekends/holidays.

Any further suggestions on the diet along with workout program? Is 16 eggs a week more than enough? I guess an egg white has 4 grams of protein.

Last edited by bluevolt : 28th May 2016 at 12:32.
Old 31st May 2016, 16:38   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys, please suggest me about the below diet-

In breakfast - Either of one - a plate of sprouts or idli or Wada sambar or a plain paratha

During breaks/mid day post or pre lunch - a cup of coffee with half spoon of sugar along with biscuits

After 40-50 minutes of gym - in lunch
- (On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).
100 grams of paneer and a glass of mixed juice

-(On Wednesday and Friday)
Eight boiled eggs (white only) and a glass of juice.

Dinner - Normal home made dinner with vegetables or daal / rajma with three rotis.

On weekends - no gym and normal home made breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am not focussing on supplements yet and I have started proper training from last one month. I go to gym during my lunch hour in office. Primary focus is on building bigger biceps/triceps/shoulders/back and chest and flat tummy.

I do one body part each day like chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, shoulder on Wednesday, triceps on Thursday and biceps on Friday. Each day I do about 10 minutes of treadmill or cycling before starting exercises.
My current body weight is 80 and I am 6". Two months back I was 82-83. I sleep for 5-6 hours on working days and 7-8 hours on weekends/holidays.

Any further suggestions on the diet along with workout program? Is 16 eggs a week more than enough? I guess an egg white has 4 grams of protein.
You are entering a whirlpool of deceit spread by protein & supplement companies, dieticians, gyms owners & instructors, youtube & instagram users, fitness/bodybuilding websites, actors, models, ... in short anyone to do with the "beauty and fitness industry".

All the best! (Don't get lost)

Last edited by alpha1 : 31st May 2016 at 16:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks