Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When do you wear seatbelts? -
1. From the moment i sit in the car, to when i get out. Even if the car isn't moving 112 59.57%
2. When ever the car is in motion 57 30.32%
3. 60% highway - 40%city 15 7.98%
4. 60%city - 40%highway 2 1.06%
5. I don't wear one / My car didn't come with seatbelts 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2004, 00:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] wear seatbelts occassionally in city driving as our speed is not much on main roads due to severe traffic congestions ......
Bad idea ,Haryan....even a shunt at 20kmph can cause serious damage..buckle up in the city too pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I wear it all the time...after all its for my own protection...I used to wear the seatbelts even before they became mandatory.
- same here

cheers
Old 24th November 2004, 01:15   #32
BHPian

I always wear seat belt no exception and also see that all passangers (including, in the rear seat) also wearing it, without that I won't crank the engine.

Old 24th November 2004, 01:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]wear seatbelts occassionally in city driving as our speed is not much on main roads due to severe traffic congestions ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Bad idea ,Haryan....even a shunt at 20kmph can cause serious damage..buckle up in the city too pal
another thing is that you never know at what speed the other guy will bang into you
Old 24th November 2004, 14:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I always wear seat belt no exception and also see that all passangers (including, in the rear seat) also wearing it, without that I won't crank the engine.
Actually that would be the best sollution. Imagine a car that refuses to crank until everyone is buckled up. I'e hear dof cars having these sensors below the seat that can detect the weight of the person sitting on them and if the weight rises above a certain level, the ECM sends a signal to the driver saying that, the person sitting on that particular seat hasn't worn his seat belt.

We however could have a simpler design for India. What if the car refused to crank unless all the seat belts were buckled up, irrespective of whether there's a person sitting on that seat or not.

So, if i have to start my car, i'll have to buckle up all the seat belts even though i'm alone in the car. And don't think you can fool the ECM by buckling the seat belt and then sitting over it, cos that would really be uncomfortable and unbearable.

Shan2nu

Old 24th November 2004, 15:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Nov. 24 2004,11:31)]We however could have a simpler design for India. What if the car refused to crank unless all the seat belts were buckled up, irrespective of whether there's a person sitting on that seat or not.

So, if i have to start my car, i'll have to buckle up all the seat belts even though i'm alone in the car. And don't think you can fool the ECM by buckling the seat belt and then sitting over it, cos that would really be uncomfortable and unbearable.
hehe... in our country of jugaads, you will then soon see hawkers selling only buckles without the belt, to fool the ECM
Old 24th November 2004, 19:07   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I'e hear dof cars having these sensors below the seat that can detect the weight of the person sitting on them and if the weight rises above a certain level, the ECM sends a signal to the driver saying that, the person sitting on that particular seat hasn't worn his seat belt.
The Mondeo has it.

GTO
Old 24th November 2004, 21:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hehe... in our country of jugaads, you will then soon see hawkers selling only buckles without the belt, to fool the ECM
That wont work as the belt will have a wire that will complete the circuit, if the belt is removed, the circuit becomes incomplete and the sensors will not agree to that.

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2004, 21:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

They will remove the whole seat belt setup and just connect both the nodes with a wire but will never wear seat belt.

Off topic but to add some humour, I heard somebody I knew bribing a train driver to reach the destination faster as his daughter is flying abroad in few hours. But finally they missed seeing her off.
Old 24th November 2004, 22:50   #39
BHPian

Damn... am I the only one here who doesnt wear seatbelts? Only when someone reminds me i put it on. I know i know ... very unsafe and all that... but just got into the habit. Probably will start wearing a seatbelt sometime though.
Old 17th December 2004, 16:39   #40
BHPian

ii were seat belts wen i remember of it. i do remember 50% of times still iam taking 50% risk so trying to make it a habit of wearing. anyway soon i will start using it has it is becomming compulsory.
Old 20th December 2004, 13:44   #41
BHPian

I wear it to save the Rs. 100 i was charged/extorted by our fellow poverty alleviating squad-> The Mumbai Traffic Police.

The speed does not worry me cos in Mumbai wherever I drive the average speeds are like 19kmhr. Who needs air bags with all that traffic ?
Old 20th December 2004, 14:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

I always wear my seatbelts from the time I get into the seat. Feeels really incomplete even to move the car a bit without my belts on. Plus I urge the passenger to put on his/hers too.

Howver slow or fast you drive please please wear your seatbelts. I have been wearing them from even before the rule came out

Dippy
Old 20th December 2004, 14:51   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm
in Mumbai wherever I drive the average speeds are like 19kmhr. Who needs air bags with all that traffic ?
Your broken nose does.
Old 20th December 2004, 18:31   #44
Team-BHP Support

have this habit of straping up the moment i close the door, trust me i was saved when i had the high speed crash in the otherwise less safe esteem
Old 26th March 2005, 22:05   #45
Team-BHP Support

i wear my seat belts before the key goes in the ignition switch and take them off after I take the key out... I feel safe and confident driving with: seatbelts, a cease fire can, a tool kit, all three rear view mirrors adjusted and the head rests (purpose of these should be mentioned in the owners manual as most people feel that its useless).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks