Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 18:25   #11176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx
My 1:18 Hotwheels Elite Ferrari F40 Competizione LeMans #40

Got this delivered last week. Took me nearly 15 minutes to remove the plastic threads with which the hood/dickey were tied up to prevent them from popping open, Hotwheels seems to be tying them up painfully well! Shouldve used a pair of pliers instead of trying with my bare hands. Now i know..
Congratulations on your latest purchase !! I too have the same model although mine is still in the box. Are you following a theme to collect only Ferraris ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Hey thanks a lot for all that detailed info.
Do you also buy airfix models? What paint you use on them? The package included humbrol really is not that great for a finish. I remember using fevicryl acrylics to finish off my curtiss p40e kittyhawk.

P.s the airbrush ill need if i get into diorama modelling. One person who makes models in my hometown uses airbrush on the dioramas. The detailing with the paint comes out very good with airbrush rather than spray cans. The only time i had used a spray can was when I painted my white cpu cabinet into black. I was probably in 8th standard then

Airbrush is not that costly actually. These temporary tattoo guys pay around 800 900 bucks for an airbrush. Its the compressor thats costly i think. Iwata brand which many professionals use is very costly. But i guess for us these tattoo art airbrushes will do fine.
and we can use acrylic and enamel paints on the airbrush without a hassle. Just need to clean them up with thinners after the job is done.

Need to ask @manishalive sir if he got the compressor and airbrush yet. He did mention long back about getting one.

Regards
Firstly, don't get models from eBay Global Easy Buy - their shipping charges are exorbitant. The best way is to buy models on Ebay US or UK and get them delivered to a local address, then ask someone to get them here for you. I get all my models in this way and avoid custom duties. Since this isn't possible in everyone's case, a better idea is to buy from a seller who ships internationally, ask him to declare the value of model as 3k or so, in this way you can evade duties.

As for repaints, Tamiya airbrush systems are too expensive. You can try their spray cans although the primer is wayy too overpriced IMO. An alternative is to get the body primed from a local garage (only if its metal) and then use Bosny or Nippon spray cans which are available at local hardware stores. I'm currently working on a Maisto Ferrari F50 Matte White repaint. I stripped the paint using a paint remover (not necessarily automotive, normal one will do) after which I'll get the body painted from a local garage and spray it with Nippon Matte Clear for the matte finish

Hope this answered all your queries :-)
Cheers !

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 9th June 2012 at 18:44.
Old 9th June 2012, 18:42   #11177
BHPian

Note to mods - please delete this post

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 9th June 2012 at 18:44.
Old 10th June 2012, 00:27   #11178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa

... with Nippon Matte Clear for the matte finish

Hope this answered all your queries :-)
Cheers !
Whats the price of this Nippon matte finish? And where did you get it from.?

Not just the primer but tamiya acrylics are way too costly. Atleast the price that i see on their India website adventurewheels. And neither can i ship any paint like Vallejo or cheaper ones directly from the US as the HazMat tax on them makes it more expensive.

Anyways ive gone the local jugaad way and trying Fevicryl and Camlyn acrylics at 18rs a bottle. Tried it on my curtiss p40e plane from airfix and a matchbox Superhornet and the finish seeems better than the humbrol paints shipped inbox. Bit glossy but they need a coat of clear for the proper finish. I was a bit surprised at the end with the finished project. Fevicryl does its job well and maybe many of us dont know but they are almost the same as tamiya or any other acrylics.

For the airbrush setup, im thinking of going in for one. Since it doesnt need much detail, im thinking to buy cheap ones from ebay which will have to be thrown out after a few months as none of them have teflon coating, making it easily perishable. Atleast that will help me get an idea about airbrushing. Only the compressor mystery needs to be solved. Im thinking of buying a Kennedy 12v compressor which isnt that costly and using 1gallon gas tank. All in all this setup might just cost me upto 10,000rs. Tamiya basic system costs 11.5k and that too battery operated and no tank. Anyone with a better suggestion please chip in.

P.s does tamiya make the Jaguar E type model? Ive been searching for it for quite sometime and Airfix models other than the planes are not upto the mark in the details. Is there any other maker with a proper detailed XKE? Im really a noob at this. So please excuse my lack of knowledge in this field.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil
My latest and most eagerly awaited Lotus 25 from Tamiya
Oh man those models look sweeeet!! Keep em coming!!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 10th June 2012 at 00:38.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:57   #11179
BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil View Post
My latest and most eagerly awaited Lotus 25 from Tamiya
Sweet ride. I have a similar one, The Mercedes-Benz W125 1937 Silberpfeil. These little ones are beautiful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Congratulations on your latest purchase !! I too have the same model although mine is still in the box. Are you following a theme to collect only Ferraris ?
Good luck with opening the fastenings buddy, was a real pain for me.
My theme is 'Supercars', with a few exceptions for SUVs and Muscle Cars.. chk out my posts in this section
Old 11th June 2012, 14:48   #11180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Whats the price of this Nippon matte finish? And where did you get it from.?

Not just the primer but tamiya acrylics are way too costly. Atleast the price that i see on their India website adventurewheels. And neither can i ship any paint like Vallejo or cheaper ones directly from the US as the HazMat tax on them makes it more expensive.

Anyways ive gone the local jugaad way and trying Fevicryl and Camlyn acrylics at 18rs a bottle. Tried it on my curtiss p40e plane from airfix and a matchbox Superhornet and the finish seeems better than the humbrol paints shipped inbox. Bit glossy but they need a coat of clear for the proper finish. I was a bit surprised at the end with the finished project. Fevicryl does its job well and maybe many of us dont know but they are almost the same as tamiya or any other acrylics.

For the airbrush setup, im thinking of going in for one. Since it doesnt need much detail, im thinking to buy cheap ones from ebay which will have to be thrown out after a few months as none of them have teflon coating, making it easily perishable. Atleast that will help me get an idea about airbrushing. Only the compressor mystery needs to be solved. Im thinking of buying a Kennedy 12v compressor which isnt that costly and using 1gallon gas tank. All in all this setup might just cost me upto 10,000rs. Tamiya basic system costs 11.5k and that too battery operated and no tank. Anyone with a better suggestion please chip in.

P.s does tamiya make the Jaguar E type model? Ive been searching for it for quite sometime and Airfix models other than the planes are not upto the mark in the details. Is there any other maker with a proper detailed XKE? Im really a noob at this. So please excuse my lack of knowledge in this field.

Regards
I haven't used the Nippon Matte Clear myself, but a friend who resprays diecast airplane models and adds custom liveries suggested me to try them out.

I'd still advise against buying an airbrush setup because of the cost involved and the space it consumes. You can try Bosny and Nippo cans and then use a clear coat (gloss/matte/flash) for your desired finish. If you're planning to build a lot (I mean a LOTTT) of models then an airbrush would turn out to be cheaper in the longer run. Almost all airbrushes come around 1k. For the compressor, you could ask that guy in your hometown (I suspect he's the TinyTown fellow) about where he sourced his compressor from.

Fevicryl paints are really nice, but nothing beats Tamiya. The finish and texture is completely unparalleled. Fevicryl is good for painting undercarriages or dark interiors where texture and look isn't important.

I really dont know about which model kits Tamiya makes. You can try eBay for that. Better is to ask Manishalive - he's more into kit-building. I'm a total diecast guy, only bought 1 kit so far (1/20 Lindberg '95 Ford Explorer California Highway Patrol edition) which is still lying in the box, 5 years after its purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post

Good luck with opening the fastenings buddy, was a real pain for me.
My theme is 'Supercars', with a few exceptions for SUVs and Muscle Cars.. chk out my posts in this section
Supercars - I see, signs of a typical newbie !
Old 11th June 2012, 15:24   #11181
BHPian

Adding my 2 cents

1) 1970 Plymouth HEMI Cuda with Engine Blower
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-168229_471353662879506_1171364432_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-538362_471353732879499_887053117_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-532739_471353789546160_1924569142_n.jpg  

Old 11th June 2012, 15:26   #11182
BHPian

2) 1967 Ford Shelby GT - 500
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-543737_471743502840522_1740190469_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-599779_471743689507170_977786176_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-178936_471743722840500_1422828775_n.jpg  

Old 13th June 2012, 13:04   #11183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Supercars - I see, signs of a typical newbie !
Newbie probably, if having close to a 100 1:18 supercars makes you one
Old 18th June 2012, 13:56   #11184
BHPian

1967 Ford Mustang GT 1:24
The Scale Model Thread-dsc_0297.jpg
Old 25th June 2012, 18:09   #11185
BHPian

These are a few that i have managed to collect, still more to come..can anyone tell me as to where can i find a ferrari F430 scale?
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-016.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-017.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-023.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-030.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-032.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-my-cars-034.jpg  

Old 26th June 2012, 12:21   #11186
BHPian

Lamborghini Reventon

This is just a part of my Scale model collection.
here, i showcase the very rare Lamborghini Reventon.
It's got a matte black paint just like the real one.

About to take off!
The Scale Model Thread-39780_1497130462372_8304340_n.jpg

The Venomous front! Notice the front seats with the Lambo logo!
The Scale Model Thread-39014_1497130822381_5270797_n.jpg

Lamborghini-Official Licensed product!
The Scale Model Thread-39014_1497130862382_7470059_n.jpg

More to come!!
Old 27th June 2012, 01:37   #11187
BHPian

Here's my Mercedes SSK,1:24,Burago Bijoux collezione.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-merc-f.jpg  

Old 27th June 2012, 16:53   #11188

Some of my Aircraft,Car,Bike Collection.
Old 28th June 2012, 00:55   #11189
BHPian

Finishing off my Mercedes Snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-merc-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-merc-s.jpg  

Old 29th June 2012, 11:55   #11190
BHPian

My recent haul from Seattle and also a 1:43 transporter purchase from the lovely ladies at Exoto Dubai Mall. The second picture is of my Franklin & Danbury Mints lineage.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-renauxauto_seattle_001.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-0000.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-exoto_143_transporter_001.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-exoto_143_transporter_002.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks