Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 06:52   #11146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect

Fantastic stuff Shankar !! You've been away from this thread for a long time, and it's great to see your newest acquisitions As usual, they're hand-picked, and are making me drool..
Hey. Yes indeed I have kept away for a while since I haven't seen anything worth buying locally. The model art shop in BLR is not very well stocked with the stuff I like so I am forced to look elsewhere and only whenever I go out of the country. In the UK and Oz and suchlike there are still some old fashioned proprietor owned little scale model shops and hobby centers, unlike here. Unfortunately here, these things have all become part of organized retail and no organized retail store can embody the same passion and knowledge that an owner led store can. Frankly even the selection at Hamleys in England is nowhere near that of some of the smaller stores - in terms of the genres of 1:43 scale models that I personally like to collect.
Old 18th May 2012, 22:21   #11147
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Found this in today's TOI (Mumbai edition).
Couldn't find any specific thread for automotive toys so posting it here.
Will look cool on desk:
The Scale Model Thread-dscf2322.jpg

Raab rakha.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:53   #11148
BHPian

1:18 Audi Quattro by Sun star
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-img_3742-copy.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_3762.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_3737.jpg  

Old 19th May 2012, 19:04   #11149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder
Sorry for this OT.

Can anyone help me out with some Indian Websites where i can buy few motorcycle scale models?

Would really appreciate this assistance.
Ebay.in seller allinonelectronics stocks models by maisto. But his pricing on some models is kind of higher than what you will get in local stores.

One query. How to import models from outside? I see many scale models on amazon and ebay and other shops that arent available here? If we import through borderlinx does customs cause a problem?

Ive recently found a W29 1934 mercedes 500K, but dont like the color scheme or atleast the finish on the model. I got a good color scheme for that online from a classic cars website. Is it possible to get my own color scheme onto a diecast model? Ive the painting kit, but I wanted to get the expert sirs opinions regarding this.

Is it ok to use the enamel paint on diecast models after sanding and base coat? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

P.s can we put up images of our airfix plane models on this thread or just cars?
Old 19th May 2012, 20:10   #11150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Ebay.in seller allinonelectronics stocks models by maisto. But his pricing on some models is kind of higher than what you will get in local stores.

One query. How to import models from outside? I see many scale models on amazon and ebay and other shops that arent available here? If we import through borderlinx does customs cause a problem?

Ive recently found a W29 1934 mercedes 500K, but dont like the color scheme or atleast the finish on the model. I got a good color scheme for that online from a classic cars website. Is it possible to get my own color scheme onto a diecast model? Ive the painting kit, but I wanted to get the expert sirs opinions regarding this.

Is it ok to use the enamel paint on diecast models after sanding and base coat? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

P.s can we put up images of our airfix plane models on this thread or just cars?

I have bought a number of models from Ebay USA. Have never faced any problem with customs. The usually send you you a letter stating that customs is due in case the value is to be determined. Usually the postman or courier agent who comes to deliver tells you the custom duty due. You pay him the amount and take your package.

As for the repaints of models. You can definitely do that. I would recommend you use a good quality spray can after you have primed the body. And dont forget to mask the windows and lights and stuff.
Old 20th May 2012, 10:52   #11151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil
As for the repaints of models. You can definitely do that. I would recommend you use a good quality spray can after you have primed the body. And dont forget to mask the windows and lights and stuff.
Could you tell me how much are the customs duties just in case it hasnt been paid? And have the goods arrived in good packaging?

One more question is do you buy from global easybuy of ebay.in or from ebay.com directly? As the prices on ebay.com are a lot cheaper. Im thinking like first ill order all the stuff at the borderlinx address and then ship them together so as to avoid excess shipping charge.
So Can this be done? Or does custom not allow shipping of multiple items in one package?

Regarding paint, which spray cans are you using? I was thinking of getting a mini airbrush system. The tamiya one costs 12k but is battery operated. Ebay ones retail for a lot less but they come without the compressor.What are your suggestions?

By the way is it possible to get a matte finish on the diecast models? 1:18 slk model from the maisto. I dont like the glittery finish on that and was thinking if the matte effect is possible to replicate on that. Will it be tough to maintain? Ill be putting it back in the display box after the work so was asking.

Regards.
Hope my queries are not a bother.
Old 20th May 2012, 11:18   #11152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Could you tell me how much are the customs duties just in case it hasnt been paid? And have the goods arrived in good packaging?

One more question is do you buy from global easybuy of ebay.in or from ebay.com directly? As the prices on ebay.com are a lot cheaper. Im thinking like first ill order all the stuff at the borderlinx address and then ship them together so as to avoid excess shipping charge.
So Can this be done? Or does custom not allow shipping of multiple items in one package?

Regarding paint, which spray cans are you using? I was thinking of getting a mini airbrush system. The tamiya one costs 12k but is battery operated. Ebay ones retail for a lot less but they come without the compressor.What are your suggestions?

By the way is it possible to get a matte finish on the diecast models? 1:18 slk model from the maisto. I dont like the glittery finish on that and was thinking if the matte effect is possible to replicate on that. Will it be tough to maintain? Ill be putting it back in the display box after the work so was asking.

Regards.
Hope my queries are not a bother.
I paid a customs duty of about 15%. You can buy from Ebay.com or through easybuy. I usually buy direct from Ebay usa or uk or where ever. Just make sure he is a top rated seller and talk to him or her about the shipping and packaging options.

I have never faced any problem with packaging. At times the box was slightly damaged but that has never bothered me as the article is more important than how the box is.

As for the paint i use. I have never repainted an entire diecast model but i did touch up my VW Beatle and have made a few tamiya models. I use Tamiya spray cans. I feel they are the best for models since they produce a very fine finish and the paint as it is is not to thick, so it doesnt mask the details in a scale model. I havent used an air brush bcos it is too expensive to buy one plus you need to buy paint too. I am sure you will get matte finish paint in tamiya if not the only cheap local spray can that produces good finish in the matte black in Bosny paint. The rest of the colors by bosny produce a thick finish, not good for scale modelling.
Old 20th May 2012, 15:00   #11153
BANNED

So here are a few purchases of today from AutoArt Bangalore - nice odd, not-so-common cars and in the right scale, hence I yielded.

1. A cheap Skoda Octavia/ Laura from Welly - 1:64
2. A brilliant Racing Green Lotus Esprit V8 - AutoArt - 1:43
3. A BMW 635 CSi - AutoArt - 1:43
4. The piece de resistance - Lamborghini Miura SV - Limited Edition with open-able engine compartment, boot space and fore-part. Amazing piece with a Certificate of Authenticity etc and the best part is that it is a 1:43!!
It also came with a small cleaning cloth and a little magnifying glass!

Am as pleased as punch with these acquisitions.
Sadly there are so few such that are available at AutoArt Bangalore!
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-20120520340.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520341.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520353.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520354.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520355.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520350.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520351.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520352.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520342.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520343.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520344.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520347.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-20120520348.jpg  

Old 20th May 2012, 22:21   #11154
Senior - BHPian

Just curious - Any serious hot wheels/ 1:64 model collectors? I've decided to stick to hot wheels since I'm not really obsessed with a high level of detail, but want a rather large variety. I mean check out this series of GTO's
The Scale Model Thread-img_20120520_09375411.jpg
Old 21st May 2012, 05:06   #11155
BANNED

For those interested in classic 1:43's: Some additional Info about my little 1:43 Lambo Miura SV pictured a couple of posts earlier.
The doors work, the interiors are beautifully detailed, the front wheels are moveable, the mesh grille on top of the bonnet are workable - they can be raised and lowered.
To see this level of fine detail on a 1:43 scale model opens up a completely different perspective in terms of AutoArt's quality of execution, which is worthy of a great deal of admiration!
It is an AutoArt Signature Limited Edition.
A perfect replica of the Red Lambo Miura which zooms along the Italian Alps before getting completely wrecked in the tunnel, in the Old version of "The Italian Job".

I will post a few more pics later with the various things open and so on, just to demonstrate.
Cheers!
Old 21st May 2012, 13:55   #11156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
I humbly request the Mods to move it to the 'Parked/Pinned' threads in Shifting Gears section along side the photography threads!
Sure thing, this thread is now a sticky
Old 21st May 2012, 16:54   #11157
Senior - BHPian

From where in Mumbai can I buy more models? Heera Panna or Manish Market?
Old 21st May 2012, 20:35   #11158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil

I paid a customs duty of about 15%. You can buy from Ebay.com or through easybuy. I usually buy direct from Ebay usa or uk or where ever. Just make sure he is a top rated seller and talk to him or her about the shipping and packaging options.
Hey thanks a lot for all that detailed info.
Do you also buy airfix models? What paint you use on them? The package included humbrol really is not that great for a finish. I remember using fevicryl acrylics to finish off my curtiss p40e kittyhawk.

P.s the airbrush ill need if i get into diorama modelling. One person who makes models in my hometown uses airbrush on the dioramas. The detailing with the paint comes out very good with airbrush rather than spray cans. The only time i had used a spray can was when I painted my white cpu cabinet into black. I was probably in 8th standard then

Airbrush is not that costly actually. These temporary tattoo guys pay around 800 900 bucks for an airbrush. Its the compressor thats costly i think. Iwata brand which many professionals use is very costly. But i guess for us these tattoo art airbrushes will do fine.
and we can use acrylic and enamel paints on the airbrush without a hassle. Just need to clean them up with thinners after the job is done.

Need to ask @manishalive sir if he got the compressor and airbrush yet. He did mention long back about getting one.

Regards
Old 28th May 2012, 13:10   #11159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Just curious - Any serious hot wheels/ 1:64 model collectors? I've decided to stick to hot wheels since I'm not really obsessed with a high level of detail, but want a rather large variety. I mean check out this series of GTO's
Attachment 929792
Team-BHPian dhrishikesh is a serious 1:64 scale collector. Has 600+ models right now
Old 29th May 2012, 12:52   #11160

Hello people!

I had been planning to start collecting scale models, so I went ahead and purchased my first 1:18 scale bikes from Maisto. Here're the photos:

The Scale Model Thread-cbr-side-view.jpg
Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

The Scale Model Thread-valkyries-side-view.jpg
Honda Valkyrie Rune 2004 model

Ever since they've arrived, I take them out at least once everyday! Though they look pretty delicate and so I've kept them in their boxes because I'm afraid I might accidentally break them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks