Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2016, 23:56   #12181
BHPian

I second unk9ja. You surely have a unique collection - please post some individual pictures popular models.

Most collectors prefer cars and SUVs. Though I have recently bought 1/64 Greenlight trucks that have caught my fancy.
Old 31st July 2016, 14:37   #12182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Scale models from an earlier time - treasures from an old trunk

Team BHPians' love for their scale models inspired me to open up an old trunk and fish out my childhood gems. These toys are each over 40 years old and one just shy of 50. Not exactly in mint condition - apologies for that. The warts, moles and peeling paint highlighted by high resolution photos. Sharing them with car lovers. The photos have been arranged in chronological order of purchase.

The Scale Model Thread-1a-opel-diplomat.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-1b-opel-diplomat.jpg
This is my oldest surviving dinky car. An Opel 1966 Diplomat. It was gifted to me in December 1966. I had forgotten it still existed till the trunk was laid bare this morning after almost 2 decades. The bonnet still opens. It was my pride and joy as a 7 year old. Soon to be 50 years.{Matchbox Model 36}

The Scale Model Thread-2a-comer.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-2b-comer.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-2c-comer.jpg
A Comer 3/4 tonne chassis with a detachable rear load area. A Coca Cola truck. The price tag say Rs 7.50 which is about Rs 200 to 250 in today's terms. Bought by a doting mother in 1970 from a small (then new) circulating library on Warden Road, Mumbai named 'Shemaroo'. Today it is a big name in the video/movie business. For some reason at the start of their business life they were also selling dinky cars! {A Milton Product, Made in India, I think}.

The Scale Model Thread-3a-vw1600tl.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-3b-vw1600tl.jpg
Volkswagen 1600TL. Doors function. Matchbox series acquired in 1971. Can't recall the noble soul who gifted it as a birthday present. I hope he/she has had a good life.{Matchbox Series nos 67}

The Scale Model Thread-london-bus-1.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-london-bus-2.jpg
1972: London 'Routemaster' double decker with seats, driver and conductor. In great shape except for 44 years of normal wear of the paint. The biggest dinky I ever had. Received it as a 12 year old. In quality and finish it was so much ahead of the toys I had that for years it was always put back into its box. Interestingly Matchbox products state 'Made in England' while Corgi products say 'Made in Great Britain'. Interestingly neither said United Kingdom. {Corgi}

The Scale Model Thread-lr-1.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-lr-2.jpg
1975: Land Rover from Corgi Junior. Who in 1975 would have imagined that one day an Indian business house would own Land Rover. In 1975 India had just suffered the famine of '74, kerosene could only be got from a ration shop, our bureaucrats with their license raj fined companies that produced more than their licensed quota, waiting time for a Premier Padmini or Bajaj scooter was counted in years. How times change for the better.

Photos courtesy my youngest - a university going broke young lady. Told her she will get pin money for these photos only if Team BHPians appreciate them. So guys say nice things and help the brat.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 31st July 2016 at 14:39.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 16:59   #12183
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Team BHPians' love for their scale models inspired me to open up an old trunk and fish out my childhood gems. These toys are each over 40 years old and one just shy of 50. Not exactly in mint condition - apologies for that. The warts, moles and peeling paint highlighted by high resolution photos. Sharing them with car lovers. The photos have been arranged in chronological order of purchase.
==============
Photos courtesy my youngest - a university going broke young lady. Told her she will get pin money for these photos only if Team BHPians appreciate them. So guys say nice things and help the brat.

Lovely old Dinky cars.
Love that Routemaster, that old Landcover and of course the famous Coca Cola truck!
I had all of these and literally tons of Matchbox toys between 1972-1980 - but the trouble is that I used to want to dissect them and see what was inside...sadly those toy cars didn't stand up to my depredations at that time...
So what I ve had to do, is to patiently sit and re-collect as many as I could from that time and beyond, paying todays prices and of course, graduating to the finer quality Auto Art and Mini Champs and all the rest of those big brands - however, I stayed true to the scales I always loved best - 1:43 and 1:64 , 1;76 etc...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd July 2017 at 07:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 10:10   #12184
BHPian

Quote:
I second unk9ja. You surely have a unique collection - please post some individual pictures popular models.
Quote:
Wow, that is one nice collection. It would be a treat if you can pick each one out and post a few pics from various angles.
Thanks! Many of them are already here somewhere on this thread earlier, but I will try to take a few more individual photos and post them.
Old 1st August 2016, 15:48   #12185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Thank you for that explanation about 'camion', shankar.balan. Here are a few group photos of my other camions
That's one impressive 'group' ! I like the idea that you have kept an exclusive commercial vehicles line-up. One is used to seeing scale models of all kinds of exotics (that's about the nearest that poor sods like me can get to one!) and a collection like yours is quite interesting!
Old 6th August 2016, 17:12   #12186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This one just arrived today via eBay (from China): a 1:50 scale Renault R 2087 Camion Tout Usage 4x4, 1954 model.
Quote:
Here are a few group photos of my other camions
Please post many many photos of your trucks. Don't tickle our palate with a long shot of the garage and then not appease our hunger for close ups. Eagerly awaited. Congratulations on one hell of a collection of trucks.
Old 10th August 2016, 15:20   #12187
BHPian

Austin Healey 3000.

Here's an Austin Healey 3000 in 1:18 by Kyosho.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-p8060001-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060003-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060005-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060006-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060009-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060024-r.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-p8060025-r.jpg  

Dussey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:07   #12188
Team-BHP Support

Thank you Mr. Bipin Mohan for sending these pictures.

This handmade Royal Enfield Classic 350 scale model is a lovely piece of art. Amazed by the attention to detail with the springs, seat, spokes, indicators, exhaust etc. Beautiful pictures as well!

The Scale Model Thread-clsc9.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-clsc11.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-clsc18.jpg

Last edited by Omkar : 11th August 2016 at 11:13.
Omkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:26   #12189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

This handmade Royal Enfield Classic 350 scale model is a lovely piece of art. Amazed by the attention to detail with the springs, seat, spokes, indicators, exhaust etc. Beautiful pictures as well!
Excellent. I would also like to have a miniature bullet model based upon my Amun-Ra. Please can you message me the contact details and the pricing so that I can also have one.

Regards,
Old 11th August 2016, 11:57   #12190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1540626
Attachment 1540627
Attachment 1540628
That is so damn nice, what scale is this and more details please. How do I contact Mr. Bipin Mohan.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:24   #12191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Team BHPians' love for their scale models inspired me to open up an old trunk and fish out my childhood gems. These toys are each over 40 years old and one just shy of 50. Not exactly in mint condition - apologies for that.
Amazing amazing collection. Why do I get a feeling that there are more to come. The patina of each model gives an imprssion that they were loved by a youngster and not restrcited to some display shelf.
Your youngest one is an excellent photographer. She fully deserves her dues and that's one of the reason of "APPRECIATING" your post.

Regards-Sonu
Old 11th August 2016, 21:47   #12192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
By jove, this is unbelievably excellent.

Quote:
Perfect craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Amazing amazing collection. Why do I get a feeling that there are more to come. The patina of each model gives an imprssion that they were loved by a youngster and not restrcited to some display shelf.
Your youngest one is an excellent photographer. She fully deserves her dues and that's one of the reason of "APPRECIATING" your post.
Thank you for your compliments. I'll cross the kid's palms with silver.

The Scale Model Thread-fire-tender-1.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-fire-tender-2.jpg
This is a Corgi fire tender bought in 1975 by my father from a business trip to the UK. In those days foreign travel was so rare (at least for middle class folks) that it was an event for the whole building. The fire tender's ladder has been lost to time.

The Scale Model Thread-img_7827.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-img_7828.jpg
Corgi cement mixer also from 1975. In jolly good shape after 41 years even if I am saying so myself!

The Scale Model Thread-ford-capri.jpg
The Scale Model Thread-ford-capri-1.jpg
And a Ford Capri two door. Bought at Lucknow in December 1977. At a mere 38 years of age the youngest in this childhood box. The last dinky I ever purchased. A short while later I was onto the real thing. Maybe it is now time to invest in scale models again.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 11th August 2016 at 21:53.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 02:10   #12193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
You could shoot a short film with that car and the building. Very nice.

Quote:
Thanks! Many of them are already here somewhere on this thread earlier, but I will try to take a few more individual photos and post them.
Those pictures are excellent. That lands rover looks surprisingly modern for 1975. The body is vintage but maybe the wheels add a modern touch.

That London double decker brought back memories of the few real ones running in Blr back in the late 80's.

I think it was route 131 from Domlur to Majestic bus stand (central). Our college would get over at 3.30 and the bus station near it would be filled with 100+ students. The normal busses wouldn't stop because we were too many.
There was a signal about 100 meters before college and it was up hill. Some of us would walk to that low point and wait for a double decker to show up. It was either this single unit bus or a trailer type double decker.

With or without stopping at the signal, these deckers had a wide doorway with solid handles, and would invariably crawl up hill.

We'd hop into it there, grab seats at the top and look smugly at our friends as it went past our official college bus stop.

Those entrances were probably designed with students in mind. You can't do that stunt in a regular single decker bus door.

I don't recall the manufacturers. The London style double deckers were very slow even on level roads. And break down ever so often.

The trailer type deckers were Ashok Leylands ( the tractor) and moved as fast as a single decker bus.

I could be wrong, but I seem to have seen these trailer double deckers In hubli city back in the 70's. Blue and silver I think.
Old 13th August 2016, 11:45   #12194
aj7

This is a part of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection (some SIKUs too)

The Scale Model Thread-img_20160806_224316.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-img_20160806_224322.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-img_20160806_224341_1471067712456.jpg

and some of my AUTOarts out for cleaning

The Scale Model Thread-img_20160806_224450.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-img_20160806_224407.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics.

-AJ7
aj7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:48   #12195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7 View Post
This is a part of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection (some SIKUs too)

Attachment 1541233

Attachment 1541234

Attachment 1541235

and some of my AUTOarts out for cleaning

Attachment 1541236

Attachment 1541237

Hope you enjoy the pics.

-AJ7
I think you're the Pranlal Bhogilal of scale model cars.

It's a superb collection. In particular the ones out - mercs.
I'm surprised that you leave the house each day to work. I'd just play with my cars and trucks all day. And some boats.

One suggestion, if I may. You've arranged them by types of cars - sports, pickups, vans and so on.

Within that, if you go to any color selection site you may be able to rearrange them by complementary colors. I've used the one below. There are others.

http://colorcombos.com

It'll make each car standout. Cheers.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks